ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Reputations of States - Some fun maps (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276625)

AndChiefs 09-25-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10018069)
* Looks stonily, clears throat, changes subject *

Thanks. I didn't notice that.

It was kind of buried in there. There are plenty of selection biases inherent in a study like this though. Fun to look at but you're correct, probably not much use scientifically.

whoman69 09-25-2013 11:27 AM

Anyone who has driven the interstates in Iowa would think that its all farms and has absolutely no people in it. I-80 passes through the edge of Davenport and Iowa City while only going through Des Moines. Its no wonder its up there for worst scenery.

Iowa has some of the best beef and pork in the country and it is among the worst for food? Never been to the Amana Colonies obviously.

I'm surprised with the Black Hills, Crazy Horse and Rushmore that more didn't site SD as a good vacation spot. Maybe they heard about the Corn Palace.

Amazing how none of the smartest states are actually listed except Massachusetts and Connecticut. Colorado and Texas are in the middle while California is towards the bottom. Texas is listed among the smartest and dumbest.

Frosty 09-25-2013 11:40 AM

Speaking of states not living up to what you expect, I was very surprised when we went through New Jersey a few years ago. I guess there is actually a reason it's called the Garden State.

dallaschiefsfan 09-25-2013 02:14 PM

The reputations (often based in some truth) of a State's largest cities (or lack of large cities) is often the culprit of the misconceptions and biases.

DaFace 09-25-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 10018080)
Going to the game?

I wish, but no. Just meeting some friends in the thriving metropolis that is Hays, KS for a quick weekend catch-up trip.

Rain Man 09-25-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10018356)
Speaking of states not living up to what you expect, I was very surprised when we went through New Jersey a few years ago. I guess there is actually a reason it's called the Garden State.

I've only been there once, but it was indeed nice. I was envisioning driving past a bunch of belching smokestacks and massive piles of used syringes, but it seemed quite pleasant.

Easy 6 09-25-2013 03:51 PM

LMAO Illinois is so ****ing bland it barely registers on any of those.

Gotta look hard for scenery, very socially conservative outside Chicago-land... BORE.RING.

I was a total idiot for not staying in Tennessee.

chiefzilla1501 09-25-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan (Post 10018835)
The reputations (often based in some truth) of a State's largest cities (or lack of large cities) is often the culprit of the misconceptions and biases.

The methodology is unbelievably flawed. A tourist who only visits the boonies of New York is going to view New York much more unfavorably than someone who visited Des Moines Iowa. And I have no idea how they chose their sample. Is it representative of the population of the US? I'm guessing that a huge chunk of participants live in a large Metro or NY, CA, or Texas.

Brock 09-25-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10017914)
Washington isn't shaded real dark in the "Best Food" but it's shaded darker than it should, imo. Salmon, apples and cherries are good but that's about all there is. It's tough to get decent produce here, especially on the east side.

You do have Taco Time so that's a huge up.

dallaschiefsfan 09-25-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10019124)
The methodology is unbelievably flawed. A tourist who only visits the boonies of New York is going to view New York much more unfavorably than someone who visited Des Moines Iowa. And I have no idea how they chose their sample. Is it representative of the population of the US? I'm guessing that a huge chunk of participants live in a large Metro or NY, CA, or Texas.

Oh there's no doubt that it's flawed. That was part of the humor of it all. But still fun to see people's biases come out, regardless of the poor sampling, questions, etc.

Rain Man 09-25-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10019124)

The challenge is that states are big and diverse, so any characterization of any state is going to reflect a narrow view. I think there's some value in this type of thing because it represents the brand image of the state as a whole.

lewdog 09-25-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10017774)

The people voting for Idaho in this thing either haven't been there or think it's all like the SE corner. Pretty much everything north of Boise is pretty nice. The drive from Boise to Lewiston along the Salmon River is cool.

This and all of this. Idaho is gorgeous with some of the most amazing rivers in the United States. I've rafted stretches of the Snake River. That river is simply amazing. Not to mention that big ass lake...lake Coeur d'alene. Simply stunning country. Although Western Montana does beat it out. :D

Brock 09-25-2013 05:06 PM

I'd definitely live in cour d'alene.

Frosty 09-25-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10019269)
I'd definitely live in cour d'alene.

I like the area around CDA but the city itself kind of sucks. It's situated kind of in a hole and the city has outgrown its roads. It's one massive gridlock.

Beautiful area though.

Frosty 09-25-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10019155)
You do have Taco Time so that's a huge up.

Costa Vida and Thai Bamboo are the only things that makes eating in Spokane bearable.