ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

Swanman 06-13-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 7694867)
Robb Stark split his forces and took his northern cavalry across the Green Fork of the Trident at the Twins and marched south to relieve Riverrun. In an effort to keep his march secret, he had Ser Brynden Tully shoot down all of the Lannister ravens and any outriders screening the camps.

In an effort to draw Ser Jaime from his camp, Robb Stark sent a small force of a few hundred men carrying Tully colors to raid his camp and lure him out. When Ser Jaime came out, the raiders would fall back to a point where the rest of the Stark force would be waiting.

Forces of Lady Mormont sounded horns to signal the trap had been sprung. Greatjon Umber, Lord Rickard Karstark, the Freys and Mallisters all had subordinate commands. When Ser Jaime saw the battle lost, he rallied his retainers and attempted to cut his way through the host to slay Robb Stark in single combat. He was halted, but not before some of Robb Stark's personal guard were slain.

The outcome of the battle was a complete success for House Stark. Ser Jaime was captured, though at the loss of Daryn Hornwood, Eddard and Torrhen Karstark. Lord Westerling, Lord Banefort, Ser Garth Greenfield, Lord Estren, Ser Tytos Brax, Mallor the Dornishman and three Lannisters were captured alongside Ser Jaime.

That was from the wiki - additionally, the way Riverrun is setup had a lot to do with it. It sits on the juction of two rivers, so there are three land sections, sort of like looking at a peace sign with ruverrun at the center. So they "raided" one section, and drew them out and ambushed them. The Starks had 1/3 the forces overall at the battle, but the Lannisters were isolated and could only cross the rivers on rafts to help each other. When they heard the fighting of the first of the 3 secions fighting, others tried to get over on the rafts, but inside Riverrun they started pelting them and knocked over most of the rafts, and also sullied out and nailed the camp in the rear. So it was nearly 100% losses on the first camp, pinned at two rivers and the walls of the castle, and a decent amount of the other camps fell or were captures as well.

Another small but cool detail was Grey Wind fighting alongside Robb, tearing out Lannister throats left and right.

Hawk 06-13-2011 08:02 AM

Yeah, my only disappointment in the episode was that we didn't get to see Robb and Grey Wind fight. It's true to the books as there is no POV character at the fight and you only hear about it secondhand, but I was hoping they would show some of the battle in the series. Oh well, we should see a true battle next season though.

dirk digler 06-13-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7694717)
The interesting thing is going to be the reaction of the non-readers and how many tune out. Because, just like Martin turned fantasy on its ear with that event, it turns television on its ear too. TV series just don't do that kind of thing...

I think it was smart that they did it when they did it (penultimate episode) instead of ending the season with it, which I was afraid they might, to try and milk all the appearances they could out the character.

But that was a major impactful move, and I have a feeling there are going to be more than a few people who hate it so much that they're going to at least say they're never going to watch again. Major kudos for HBO for having the stones to do it, and for sticking to the books.

It's bullshit. :harumph:

Baby Lee 06-13-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7694717)
The interesting thing is going to be the reaction of the non-readers and how many tune out. Because, just like Martin turned fantasy on its ear with that event, it turns television on its ear too. TV series just don't do that kind of thing...

I think it was smart that they did it when they did it (penultimate episode) instead of ending the season with it, which I was afraid they might, to try and milk all the appearances they could out the character.

But that was a major impactful move, and I have a feeling there are going to be more than a few people who hate it so much that they're going to at least say they're never going to watch again. Major kudos for HBO for having the stones to do it, and for sticking to the books.

The end of the book holds promise to actually eclipse this episode entirely.

Mr. Laz 06-13-2011 10:36 AM

wanting the blond bastard king dead is only slightly more desired then wanting his skank mom dead. Hopefully both die a extremely horrific death.

hopefully redhead daughter will marry him and then poison him in his sleep. A poison that takes days to kill him.

maybe the will pull a Revenge and chain that bitch mom in a hut somewhere and pimp her out to anyone with a gold piece.

Baby Lee 06-13-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 7695096)
wanting the blond bastard king dead is only slightly more desired then wanting his skank mom dead. Hopefully both die a extremely horrific death.

hopefully redhead daughter will marry him and then poison him in his sleep. A poison that takes days to kill him.

maybe the will pull a Revenge and chain that bitch mom in a hut somewhere and pimp her out to anyone with a gold piece.

Sansa is going some of the strangest, and most interesting places, with her final fate a big expectation of the upcoming book.

Re: the latest ep: For all the sadness, my heart SOARED with Robb telling Jaime he won't be playing this his way. Great addition to the lore of the book.

NewChief 06-13-2011 10:57 AM

Evidently the guy in the reaction vid does TV reviews. Here's his longer sitdown rant. ROFL

NSFW due to language.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mOoA1OtcNjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 06-13-2011 10:58 AM

ROFL from AVClub comments
Quote:

"Whose sword is this?"
"It's a great sword, baby."
"Whose great sword is this?"
"It's Ned's."
"Who's Ned?"
"Ned's dead, baby. Ned's dead."

Baby Lee 06-13-2011 11:02 AM

For those who are spurrred to drop the show.

If you stop watching then the Lannisters win.

eazyb81 06-13-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 7695157)
For those who are spurrred to drop the show.

If you stop watching then the Lannisters win.

Honestly I can't believe anyone that was into the show at all would drop out after last night's episode.

I have a handful of friends that have been watching the series, and just like me, none of them have read the books.

Every single one of them is absolutely hooked after last night. It is all we've been talking about this morning. I bet most GoT noobs are the same way.

Baby Lee 06-13-2011 11:14 AM

Super Secret Preview of the Battle of Blackwater

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clip...heaven-vs-hell

KC_Connection 06-13-2011 11:26 AM

I hate that damn Littlefinger with the moustache even more now for backstabbing Ned. Somebody must put a stop to his sneaky ways.

Baby Lee 06-13-2011 11:37 AM

Book Centric Spoiler

Spoiler!

eazyb81 06-13-2011 11:41 AM

Best line of the episode:

"Did you get a look at his daughters?"

DJ's left nut 06-13-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 7695238)
Book Centric Spoiler

Spoiler!

I noticed that; I was a little surprised actually. That would've done a lot to show just how big a **** Tywin is and it wouldn't have taken more than another 15 seconds of dialogue.

Maybe they should've spent less time having Renly get his nipples shaved...

Quote:

Best line of the episode:

"Did you get a look at his daughters?"
I actually didn't like that part. In the book, he's unwavering - "Yes, I'll do it" and they make a big deal about how 'adult' a move it was. He didn't have a choice, he had a war to fight and this was the way to do it. He didn't complain, he just assumed his responsibility.

That line and his 'do i have a choice' when she asked his consent kinda made him look like a petulant frat boy. I wasn't a fan.