ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The REAL tablet wars are about to start (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265039)

L.A. Chieffan 10-24-2012 09:57 AM

They should call it the iPad 2 Mini.

The ****ing thing doesnt even have a retina display. Weak sauce apple

Pitt Gorilla 10-24-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9044837)
I think most people in your situation would ultimately decide the desktop is the one to go.

I've completely settled in with my iPad.

I use my laptop for work and my Android for making phone calls. I use the iPad for basically EVERYTHING else.

Laptop for work, iPad for basically everything else.

Brock 10-24-2012 10:49 AM

review of the surface

http://gizmodo.com/5953866/microsoft...=recirculation

htismaqe 10-24-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9045264)
Laptop for work, iPad for basically everything else.

:thumb:

WoodDraw 10-24-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9045293)

The Verge gave it a pretty mild review too, although friendlier than that. Engadget gave a better one, but Engadget has been shit for awhile now.

Perhaps Microsoft should have kept these embargoed for a bit longer.

Deberg_1990 10-24-2012 11:20 AM

heh, in fairness, it doesnt seem all that bad as a pure tablet. The problem is MS is marketing it as more.

Maybe its time to admit theres no such thing as a pure "all in one" do it all device.

Laptops and Dekstops are for productivity
Tablets are for fun.

Nothing wrong with that.

Buehler445 10-24-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9045392)
heh, in fairness, it doesnt seem all that bad as a pure tablet. The problem is MS is marketing it as more.

Maybe its time to admit theres no such thing as a pure "all in one" do it all device.

Laptops and Dekstops are for productivity
Tablets are for fun.

Nothing wrong with that.

That's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine trying to plug any formulas in excel without a keyboard. It'd suck hard.

memyselfI 10-24-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9044864)
I have a similar setup - office with a desk, only play console games, etc.

What it came down to was that I like to be able to use productivity/desktop apps from places other than my desk. So the laptop won out over the desktop.

Me too. I use the desktop for production and because I have a 22" monitor which I sit very close to. I love the huge monitor and big freakin keyboard. I love the spaciousness.

I think the reason I do NOT like the laptop is because it's like a small desktop. Whereas I like the tablet because it's like a huge smartphone that can do so much..

The laptop just isn't comfortable.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlockbabymomma (Post 9046069)
Me too. I use the desktop for production and because I have a 22" monitor which I sit very close to. I love the huge monitor and big freakin keyboard. I love the spaciousness.

I think the reason I do NOT like the laptop is because it's like a small desktop. Whereas I like the tablet because it's like a huge smartphone that can do so much..

The laptop just isn't comfortable.

I have my laptop setup at my desk with 22" monitor, keyboard, and mouse on a docking station.

In all respects, AT MY DESK, it IS a desktop. But if I want to get up and take it in the other room, or with me on the road, I can.

memyselfI 10-24-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9046228)
I have my laptop setup at my desk with 22" monitor, keyboard, and mouse on a docking station.

In all respects, AT MY DESK, it IS a desktop. But if I want to get up and take it in the other room, or with me on the road, I can.

Well, that is what I plan to do now that my desktop is starting to show it's age.

Time to build another one. Which is another reason I like desktops. I'm perfectly fine taking one a part and fiddling and fixing. A laptop...not so much.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlockbabymomma (Post 9046285)
Well, that is what I plan to do now that my desktop is starting to show it's age.

Time to build another one. Which is another reason I like desktops. I'm perfectly fine taking one a part and fiddling and fixing. A laptop...not so much.

I used to be that way. Built dozens of PCs actually. I'm pretty comfortable taking laptops apart and fixing them.

However, I'm to the point now that if it isn't something I can fix, pull the HDD and throw the rest away.

Deberg_1990 10-24-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9046301)
I used to be that way. Built dozens of PCs actually. I'm pretty comfortable taking laptops apart and fixing them.

However, I'm to the point now that if it isn't something I can fix, pull the HDD and throw the rest away.

Heh, I think that's how most of us are anymore. It's funny, I remember back in the 90s we geeks used to sit around and talk about specs and laugh at people who bought all in one motherboards. Now days everything has become all in one again and completely disposable.

Buehler445 10-24-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9046228)

That's what I've got. I paid more for a laptop with a docking station. It is a 13.3" with respectable capacity.

That's why I haven't put money in a tablet. Other than the neato factor, I can't pick up any functionality.

htismaqe 10-25-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9046652)
That's what I've got. I paid more for a laptop with a docking station. It is a 13.3" with respectable capacity.

That's why I haven't put money in a tablet. Other than the neato factor, I can't pick up any functionality.

The thing is, as versatile as I've made my setup for the laptop, it still can't compete with the iPad for convenience.

Tablet OS'es are MUCH less bloated, which allows one to "sleep" instead of shutdown. Windows has to be shut down periodically so that it doesn't go schizoid. The iPad also doesn't have to be tethered to a power cord 90% of the time, either.

So if I've been watching TV for a couple hours and decide I want to look something up on the net, I'm reaching for the tablet because I can flip open the cover, do my search, read the output, and put the tablet away again, all in the time it would take my Windows laptop to BOOT.

Buehler445 10-25-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047594)
The thing is, as versatile as I've made my setup for the laptop, it still can't compete with the iPad for convenience.

Tablet OS'es are MUCH less bloated, which allows one to "sleep" instead of shutdown. Windows has to be shut down periodically so that it doesn't go schizoid. The iPad also doesn't have to be tethered to a power cord 90% of the time, either.

So if I've been watching TV for a couple hours and decide I want to look something up on the net, I'm reaching for the tablet because I can flip open the cover, do my search, read the output, and put the tablet away again, all in the time it would take my Windows laptop to BOOT.

I guess I am a little different.

I use my laptop for work too (docking station at home and at the office), so it gets shut down regularly. And I replaced the battery a year or so ago, so it will sleep all evening while I'm at home. If I use it much, I have to plug it in, but you have to do that with an Ipad also.

Coincidentally, my buddy has an Ipad, and every time I hop on it to check the weather or whatever, it has like 3% battery left. ROFL