ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The REAL tablet wars are about to start (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265039)

AustinChief 10-12-2012 06:55 PM

The REAL tablet wars are about to start

Up until now the choices have actually been rather spartan when you compare the tablet market to the PC space. That is about to change in the next two months... and prices are going to reflect the change. (Though I doubt right away, it will take some time to shake it all out)

New tablets coming soon:

Windows 8 tablets: these are the most interesting due to the fact that they can double as a laptop and run x86 based programs. In theory these should dominate the market over time but in reality pricing will determine their adoption rate. Color me skeptical for now.

Windows RT: meh... basically windows version of an Android or iOS tablet, I see very limited potential here but who knows.

iPad Mini: Also will depend on pricing. If it isn't at least CLOSE to the $200 price point, I can't see any compelling reason to purchase one other than the typical Apple fan "have to have the cool new thing" factor. Of course, we know jack shite about their specs so I could be way off here... but it's always good to have more choices.

As for all the other Android tablets... I see a number of major price drops heading our way.. take a look at the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 at $299 and the Nook HD+ at $269.. that's unreal. We are about to have quality tablets getting close to the $250 mark.

EDITED TO ADD RUMORS:

Google is supposedly releasing a $99 tablet and a 10.1" Nexus with REALLY high end specs (made by Samsung) both are rumored to start manufacturing in December.

Any thoughts?

007 10-12-2012 06:58 PM

isn't the new ipod touch the ipad mini.

SAUTO 10-12-2012 07:06 PM

I'm going to be in the market for a Christmas present for my youngest (today) she is seven and plays on grandmas I pad games and books.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be mobile, wi fi would work I would think
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 10-12-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9006421)
isn't the new ipod touch the ipad mini.

Ha, not quite.. that'd be the iPad mini mini.. or the iPad micro!

iPad mini should be announced sometime in the next month.

AustinChief 10-12-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9006437)
I'm going to be in the market for a Christmas present foot my youngest (today) she is seven and plays on grandmas I pad games and books.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be mobile, wi fi would work I would think
Posted via Mobile Device

Biggest question you have to answer first is what size works best. 7" or 9"+

In the 7" space, it's hard to beat the Google Nexus... BUT if you want more control as a parent, you may want to look at the Kindle Fire HD line... they have a badass feature called FreeTime http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/a...n-space-to-pl/

The Nook HD line may have a similar feature (I know you can make separate profiles for different family members)

It gets trickier when you move up to the 9+" space... tons upon tons of options... depends on what exactly you are looking to get out of it. I wouldn't worry about getting an iPad unless you have money to burn. Your kid will easily pick up any OS you give her.

SAUTO 10-12-2012 07:27 PM

No on the I Pad.

Thinking about a 10", just because she reads A LOT. And then maybe I won't be chasing the bigger and bigger screen for years.

She plays games and reads. Mom would probably use it some for internet
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 10-12-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9006515)
No on the I Pad.

Thinking about a 10", just because she reads A LOT. And then maybe I won't be chasing the bigger and bigger screen for years.

She plays games and reads. Mom would probably use it some for internet
Posted via Mobile Device

Well in the 9"+ space you have a bunch of options with more coming soon, so obviously it will pay off to wait a bit before making a decision. Right now, The Kindle FIre HD 8.9" is a solid tablet for around $300 .. even better if you have Amazon Prime.. tons of free books, movies and tv shows. BUT I don't think it ships until Nov 20th, so if it were me, I'd wait until Nov 1 (Windows tabs will be out by then but I doubt that is what you will want) to see what else is out there then pre-order if nothing better comes along.

htismaqe 10-12-2012 07:51 PM

I just can't say enough good things about the Kindle Fire. My kids absolutely love them.

007 10-12-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9006454)
Ha, not quite.. that'd be the iPad mini mini.. or the iPad micro!

iPad mini should be announced sometime in the next month.

Well, keep in mind that the new Touch is $299. I wouldn't expect their iPad Mini to be anywhere near that,.

Deberg_1990 10-12-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9006409)
Google is supposedly releasing a $99 tablet

Not worth it/Guru

007 10-12-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9006644)
Not worth it/Guru

depends on the specs and the software. :D

WoodDraw 10-12-2012 08:31 PM

Some interesting points. In my opinion, tablets have become a fight between ecosystems as opposed to hardware. The hardware has become commoditized to a growing extent. Some do hardware better than others, but it comes down to a touch screen in all cases.

This will be distressing to the likes of Samsung, because they'll struggle to create much of an identity. You can see this already in that they're relegating Google Now to the background while trying to push "S Voice". They're doing the same with their other "S" apps, even though they're inferior products. They're also completely losing out on the advertising money and ecosystem money.

They are also facing price pressure from Google and Amazon selling devices at cost.

I hate the Amazon kindle, but no one can deny they have an excellent ecosystem. A good friend of mine raves about it. He has a Prime membership, and loves the "free" books and streaming deals. For those casual, consumption users, it works perfectly and fills a market.

I think Microsoft will struggle. They are late to the market, and have so much to make up against Android and Apple, I don't see how it's possible. I also think their branding is awful. The average consumer doesn't know or care about the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT. It introduces confusion that's going to hurt in the long run. They might find a niche in the enterprise area, but I don't think you'll see them approach any healthy market share.

I have a Nexus 7, iPad 2, and Kindle Fire. The Nexus 7 is around me almost all day. I love the thing. I've used Android since Eclair, so I'm biased. But this is the first Android device I've had that I love. The Fire I've practically given to someone else. And the iPad I find myself using less and less, although it's still an excellent product - just not for me.

AustinChief 10-12-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9006688)
I think Microsoft will struggle. They are late to the market, and have so much to make up against Android and Apple, I don't see how it's possible. I also think their branding is awful. The average consumer doesn't know or care about the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT. It introduces confusion that's going to hurt in the long run. They might find a niche in the enterprise area, but I don't think you'll see them approach any healthy market share.

I agree 100% with your post except for the part quoted... here I agree to an extent. I agree on RT and the confusion factor but I disagree on true Windows 8 tablets. Imagine a laptop that does EVERYTHING you want it to do but can also be a tablet. I have one of the older versions of this and it's nice but so damn thick and old that it isn't the best tablet. Also, it has Windows 7 which isn't the best OS for tablets. BUT if it was light and thin and the OS was more tablet friendly and there were more tablet optimized apps.. it would be PERFECT. That is what Windows 8 tablets promise to do. Though I am a skeptic as to how well MS will deliver on that promise and if they can price them competitively.

In the end, I really think it's all gonna be about price for the next few years.

This really reminds me a lot of the earlier days of PCs when Dell and Gateway and others drove prices to the ground and the market exploded.. then once things settled down you started to see the niches break out for different pricing structures and such. I think we are just on the edge of entering that phase of the tablet market.

WoodDraw 10-12-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9006705)
I agree 100% with your post except for the part quoted... here I agree to an extent. I agree on RT and the confusion factor but I disagree on true Windows 8 tablets. Imagine a laptop that does EVERYTHING you want it to do but can also be a tablet. I have one of the older versions of this and it's nice but so damn thick and old that it isn't the best tablet. Also, it has Windows 7 which isn't the best OS for tablets. BUT if it was light and thin and the OS was more tablet friendly and there were more tablet optimized apps.. it would be PERFECT. That is what Windows 8 tablets promise to do. Though I am a skeptic as to how well MS will deliver on that promise and if they can price them competitively.

I guess I don't see the market. Everything is becoming so cloud based now that these things matter less and less. I don't see the market for a "tablet that can do anything" beyond a few industries. People want iPads; they have computers for the rest. Microsoft Office will be dead within a few years, replaced by web solutions. Apps are increasingly becoming web and cloud based.

The future will come from the internet and not from proprietary software running on a tablet. I want to be able to do my work everywhere and anywhere. And if MS says to do that I have to buy a Windows 8 tablet, I'll find a different service. And a lot of companies are already moving that way.

AustinChief 10-13-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9006831)
I guess I don't see the market. Everything is becoming so cloud based now that these things matter less and less. I don't see the market for a "tablet that can do anything" beyond a few industries. People want iPads; they have computers for the rest. Microsoft Office will be dead within a few years, replaced by web solutions. Apps are increasingly becoming web and cloud based.

The future will come from the internet and not from proprietary software running on a tablet. I want to be able to do my work everywhere and anywhere. And if MS says to do that I have to buy a Windows 8 tablet, I'll find a different service. And a lot of companies are already moving that way.

Yes apps are becoming cloud based but there is still a massive market for actual x86 apps. We are years and years away from phasing out all "desktop" apps. Great example, I develop mobile and cloud based apps and I'd be in a world of hurt if I couldn't use desktop apps to do so. It could be done, but it certainly wouldn't be nearly as easy. The other area that will take time is games. It will be awhile before you could ever run Warcraft on your Android tablet (and probably NEVER on an iPad)... on the other hand, you should be able to play any game on any high end Win 8 tablet. Also there are plans for tablets built specifically for gaming...

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...ing-tablet.jpg
http://www.razerzone.com/projectfiona/tech_specs

htismaqe 10-14-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9006831)

Wile the clients using the cloud might not be running Windows, the cloud itself often IS. Last time I saw any data, just about 2/3 of the virtual machines running in the Gartner-designated "leaders'" clouds were running Windows Server.

HC_Chief 10-15-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9014652)
Wile the clients using the cloud might not be running Windows, the cloud itself often IS. Last time I saw any data, just about 2/3 of the virtual machines running in the Gartner-designated "leaders'" clouds were running Windows Server.

That trend will continue. VMware is the next Netscape.

The W8 tablets, known as "Surface", will dominate. They are true laptop replacements, not merely consumer toys (see: iPad).

DaveNull 10-15-2012 05:03 PM

Hard to believe that you still think that people *want* laptop replacements.

Here's how things are going to go down:

Apple will release a 7" tablet and sell the living hell out of them, while actually making a profit. This ends up being something that none of the other OEMs can't do.

The Nexus will get hit the hardest, but Google may actually be losing money on each of those units anyway. It probably remains the best Android tablet out there, and therefore great for folks that dump all their stuff into the Google ecosystem.

Samsung will continue to get down into the mud with expensive advertising that appeals to their base, release tablets that won't ever see an operating system upgrade and won't see much, if any, profit from it. Their nasty ads do a great job of riling up their fan base but alienate potential customers and drives Apple to stop buying components from them within two years.

People that hate Apple on principle will point to sales of Android tablets as some sign of victory against the Man even though nobody actually makes money off Android tablets. Great for people that like cheap devices, yelling on the internet and feeling different because you don't carry Apple hardware. Not so great for anyone invested in OEMs making Android tablets except for Amazon.

Amazon still won't say how many Kindle XYZs they make but will have high revenue numbers. They break even on their devices and make it up on content.

Microsoft will eventually release the Surface, which will be overshadowed by how terrible Windows 8 reviews are. They end up pushing their OEMs to Android because they want license fees for each copy of Windows 8 and the OEMs are pissed that suddenly they're really in competition with Microsoft. Ballmer has already come out to say they want an integrated solution. Google (with the Nexus) doesn't care. The Nexus is a reference device for their OEMs and make money off the advertising.

The Microsoft hardware will be OK, but their cover will under deliver. This ends up hurting both the Windows and Office brands overall. Office will suffer more because once the general consumer realizes that the experience of using Office on a touch device sucks and realizes that they've been getting along fine without it on iOS for quite some time.

So to recap:

Apple: Releases a 7" tablet and makes $$$
Google: Doesn't care about their hardware but the glut of Android devices delivers lots and lots of ad words
Amazon: Continues to make a decent pile of $$$ from selling content on their branded devices
Microsoft: Sees their brand diminished on the desktop, remaining marginalized on tablets and phones while they continue to do cool shit on the server side. Inexplicably Ballmer keeps his job.
RIM: Bankruptcy by June

Android partisans: Claim victory based on market share even though none of these companies stay in business because of market share alone while amassing a larger pile of obsolete cheaply made hardware
Apple partisans: Love their stuff, still looks at Android as a cheap knock off
Apple investors: Talk to their accountants about buying some RIM stock to offset their obscene gains on AAPL for tax purposes

WoodDraw 10-15-2012 05:30 PM

I'm not an Android fanboy. I think tablets, at this point, are consumption devices. And Amazon and Apple kill google there. Apple has tried to move a bit towards production too, but I don't find their apps very good. I think the biggest disaster in design today is in App development - it drives me crazy. But that's probably for another thread.

But I still would have a hard time recommending an Android tablet over an Apple or Amazon device, if that's what the user wants.

I think Microsoft will do **** all though. But we'll see - I have been wrong before. And I agree with the statement that people don't want laptop replacements - they serve two different needs. That's part of why I think MS will fail.

DaveNull 10-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9017360)
Apple has tried to move a bit towards production too, but I don't find their apps very good. I think the biggest disaster in design today is in App development - it drives me crazy. But that's probably for another thread.

I'll bite. What do you mean? App approval? Objective-C?

Braincase 10-15-2012 08:11 PM

The Windows 8 tablets with AMD processors will be able to run Android apps. Link

Regarding the idea that "Office" will be dead in a few years in favor of cloud and web based applications, somebody missed the memo... Office is already web-based and on the cloud. Link

GordonGekko 10-16-2012 08:05 AM

Surface RT tablets begin at $500 - Report

http://www.gamespot.com/news/surface...report-6398321

Pricing for new Windows RT tablet line to begin at $500 for 32GB model without Touch Cover; scaling to $700 with covers and additional memory.

Microsoft has, perhaps prematurely, unveiled pricing for its upcoming Surface tablet line. Pricing for the RT models appeared on Microsoft's official website today, and was quickly removed, but not before TechCrunch snapped a screenshot of the page.

According to the screenshot, a 32GB Surface tablet running on Windows RT will cost $500, and will not come bundled with a Touch Cover (a magnetic screen cover that doubles as a keyboard). The same 32GB model with a Touch Cover will run $600, and a 64GB model with a Touch Cover is pegged at $700.

The Surface RT tablet line is expected to launch alongside Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system on October 26. This pricing is in line with Apple's newest iPad iteration, which begins at $500 for a Wifi-only version and scales to $700.

Microsoft's Surface RT edition, which runs on a Nvidia ARM processor, is one of two models the company is planning. The other is an Intel Core processor-driven Windows 8 Pro unit. Information regarding that model is expected to arrive sometime later.

Both Surface tablets will feature a 10.6-inch "HD display" with Corning Gorilla Glass 2.0, as well as a full-size USB port, microSD card port, and multiple configurations of system RAM. Microsoft is also touting built-in kickstands for the Surface tablets, as well as screen covers with built-in keyboards. The cover combos will come in two varieties: the Touch Cover will provide a 3mm-thin gesture-sensing keyboard for typing, while the 5mm-thin Type Cover offers moving keys for those who prefer a standard keyboard feel.

Chief Gump 10-16-2012 09:41 AM

What do you guys think of this tablet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Mr. Laz 10-16-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 9019942)
What do you guys think of this tablet?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I have the newer Infinity and it's solid hardware. I heard rumors that the all metal shell of the older Transformer tablets cause some issues though. Not sure if that specific model has the problems.

Android(even after upgrade to jelly bean) is annoying but it's a solid tablet

I just don't understand why Android isn't better than it is ... they have had plenty of time to produce a mature product.

Fat Elvis 10-16-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9019674)
Surface RT tablets begin at $500 - Report

http://www.gamespot.com/news/surface...report-6398321

Pricing for new Windows RT tablet line to begin at $500 for 32GB model without Touch Cover; scaling to $700 with covers and additional memory.

Microsoft has, perhaps prematurely, unveiled pricing for its upcoming Surface tablet line. Pricing for the RT models appeared on Microsoft's official website today, and was quickly removed, but not before TechCrunch snapped a screenshot of the page.

According to the screenshot, a 32GB Surface tablet running on Windows RT will cost $500, and will not come bundled with a Touch Cover (a magnetic screen cover that doubles as a keyboard). The same 32GB model with a Touch Cover will run $600, and a 64GB model with a Touch Cover is pegged at $700.

The Surface RT tablet line is expected to launch alongside Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system on October 26. This pricing is in line with Apple's newest iPad iteration, which begins at $500 for a Wifi-only version and scales to $700.

Microsoft's Surface RT edition, which runs on a Nvidia ARM processor, is one of two models the company is planning. The other is an Intel Core processor-driven Windows 8 Pro unit. Information regarding that model is expected to arrive sometime later.

Both Surface tablets will feature a 10.6-inch "HD display" with Corning Gorilla Glass 2.0, as well as a full-size USB port, microSD card port, and multiple configurations of system RAM. Microsoft is also touting built-in kickstands for the Surface tablets, as well as screen covers with built-in keyboards. The cover combos will come in two varieties: the Touch Cover will provide a 3mm-thin gesture-sensing keyboard for typing, while the 5mm-thin Type Cover offers moving keys for those who prefer a standard keyboard feel.

At that price point, why would anyone want one of the Surface tablets? I was wanting one earlier, but for the same price, I could get an iPad with a better display and a bajillion apps. Microsoft currently has, what, less than 600 apps in their store? At that price point, they are dead in the water. It is now between Google and Apple. It will be interesting what the Nexus 10 will be like...I hope it has the stylus option like the Galaxy Note 10.1......

Fish 10-16-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9023079)
At that price point, why would anyone want one of the Surface tablets? I was wanting one earlier, but for the same price, I could get an iPad with a better display and a bajillion apps. Microsoft currently has, what, less than 600 apps in their store? At that price point, they are dead in the water. It is now between Google and Apple. It will be interesting what the Nexus 10 will be like...I hope it has the stylus option like the Galaxy Note 10.1......

The apps aren't what makes it appealing. Running full blown MS makes apps completely irrelevant. You could load Office 2010, just like a desktop PC. And run full blown Outlook, and any other desktop app. Some Windows only apps are essential to the enterprise world, and currently won't run on any tablet.

I really think there would be a big demand for that functionality on a tablet. A lot more so in the enterprise environment, where they don't care about overpaying for technology. The manufacturer could overprice it, and it would still sell well just because it's a legit Windows environment.

People underestimate the value of Windows coverage, and how it hasn't translated to tablets very well yet at all.

kaplin42 10-16-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9023098)
The apps aren't what makes it appealing. Running full blown MS makes apps completely irrelevant. You could load Office 2010, just like a desktop PC. And run full blown Outlook, and any other desktop app. Some Windows only apps are essential to the enterprise world, and currently won't run on any tablet.

I really think there would be a big demand for that functionality on a tablet. A lot more so in the enterprise environment, where they don't care about overpaying for technology. The manufacturer could overprice it, and it would still sell well just because it's a legit Windows environment.

People underestimate the value of Windows coverage, and how it hasn't translated to tablets very well yet at all.

Pretty much this!

As I have said in other threads, I work for a school in IT. We ordered
6 RT tablets today for testing, and will order 6 pro ones when they come out.

The reason being is that we will be going to a 1:1 program with students, we thought that would be with iPads, but to be honest, on top of being almost utterly useless for teachers in a classroom environment, they are even worse for students. But, if you could have a full blown MS OS on a tablet sized device, that would be pretty much amazing for all involved.

Now to be fair this is what would work in our environment since we are a Microsoft house, in others it might not be as ideal.

@davenull

ROFL if you think laptops are on their way out. Try and use an iPad in an anything but a consumption type of manner and you will find it immensely annoying.

BigMeatballDave 10-17-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9020019)
I just don't understand why Android isn't better than it is ... they have had plenty of time to produce a mature product.

Actually, Android is very good for its short amount of time in the market.

OS and Windows have been around for nearly 30 years.

Android? 5 yrs.

Fat Elvis 10-17-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9023098)

That is the thing, though, you can't run full blown MS on the RT tablets. On the Pro tablets, sure, but you are looking at another $4-500 for that, apparently--several months down the line. Ultra books will do the same exact thing that the Pro tablets will do; they make the Pro tablets redundant--unless you are absolutely dieing to be able to use finger navigation on a spreadsheet, lol.

GordonGekko 10-17-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9023663)
That is the thing, though, you can't run full blown MS on the RT tablets. On the Pro tablets, sure, but you are looking at another $4-500 for that, apparently--several months down the line. Ultra books will do the same exact thing that the Pro tablets will do; they make the Pro tablets redundant--unless you are absolutely dieing to be able to use finger navigation on a spreadsheet, lol.

Microsoft needs to do away with the RT line and focus on their Pro line, that is where their niche will be. They also need to work on the price point because not nearly the amount of people will drop $1000 on a tablet as they would if the price were say, $600. The Pro's NEED to be competitively priced or MS is done.

DaveNull 10-17-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Actually, Android is very good for its short amount of time in the market.

OS and Windows have been around for nearly 30 years.

Android? 5 yrs.
iOS was released to the public in June 2007. Android's first beta was released in November 2007.

If you're talking about OS X (which shares the same kernel as iOS) it's only been around since roughly 2000. OS X is completely different than the old Mac OS versions. If you really want to be nerdy and say that OS X is just Unix and it's been around for around 30 years I'd agree.

Windows RT would have been much more interesting it it had been Metro (or whatever they are calling it now) *only*.

As far as the application argument goes, "apps" as we've come to call them represent a new generation of software and I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare them to traditional desktop applications. That goes regardless of what platform you're talking about. When people talk about wanting "apps" they're probably talking about software that works on a tablet that doesn't include things included in the traditional Windows/OS X/Gnome/KDE user interfaces.

And Kaplin, I've never said that tablets will fully replace laptops or desktops for many purposes. For lots of people in a number of situations a tablet of some kind works as well if not better for them than a laptop. It's the whole truck vs. car analogy. Trucks and full computers are good for heavy tasks. Cars and tablets are better for other things.

Put a different way, if all I'm going to do when I'm away from the office is reading or writing then a tablet works just fine for me. If I need to work on a spreadsheet or crunch some real data then I need at least a laptop if not something bigger. That means that my iPad has replaced a laptop for me when I'm going on weekend trips but it sure as hell hasn't replaced my Precision M4500 laptop or T3500 workstation for other work.

WoodDraw 10-17-2012 07:23 PM

It's funny, because when the iPad was first released, a lot of us were hoping for an OS X based device, rather than iOS. Now that the market has been set with that "type" of device, many people, including myself, are doubting whether such a market exists - at least right now.

We'll see. I wish Microsoft well, and I probably have some bias against them. Innovation is good though. I think their marketing is so confused they'll struggle to find any meaningful market share though.

AustinChief 10-17-2012 09:00 PM

Pretty cool new system for Kindles...

https://whispercast.amazon.com/

Quote:

Amazon’s free online tool that helps your organization
easily manage its Kindles and distribute Kindle content

Your school or business can now extend the benefits of Kindle to its students, employees, or customers. Whether you’re looking to distribute literature for class or use Kindle for your corporate training or incentive program, Whispercast helps you reduce the administrative cost and complexity of sending Kindle content and managing your Kindles.

AustinChief 10-17-2012 09:05 PM

btw.. I agree with those here that see no use for a $500 Windows Rt tablet. just seems silly to me... but apparently others don't agree...

http://seattletimes.com/html/microso..._sell_out.html

of course, we don;='t know how many were available for preorder... could be a ridiculously small number.

AustinChief 10-17-2012 09:31 PM

IF Google really is launching a few new tricks at this event... gonna be a huge season for tablets starting in November...

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ga...ices-1C6532066

007 10-18-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9026707)
IF Google really is launching a few new tricks at this event... gonna be a huge season for tablets starting in November...

I can't see Google dropping the price to $99 on the Nexus 7. If they do, it will sell like hotcakes though.

WoodDraw 10-18-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9026707)

I don't think we'll see $99 either. The at cost price for a quality tablet is around $200. Unless they'll go the advertising route, but that doesn't flesh well with the Nexus "developer" brand.

A couple guesses:

That invitation looks like Google Now. So I think it's fair to say we'll see more there.

Also, the playground is open? More content deals maybe (please...)?

DaveNull 10-18-2012 05:59 PM

Any Android device is already going the advertising route.

Fish 10-18-2012 06:07 PM

Google is already significantly limiting their profit with the Nexus line.

Quote:

The production cost of Google Nexus 7 8GB and 16GB media tablets, including both bill-of-materials as well as manufacturing cost, is $159.25 and $166.75, respectively.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/..._Analysis.html
Dropping the price even more is great for the market overall, but I can't think Google can/would continue to lose more money on it by going with a lower price point. I mean, they obviously have the equity to absorb it right now. But eventually they need to make some money to justify the market participation and encourage further inovation.

DaveNull 10-18-2012 06:24 PM

not to mention pissing off other android tablet manufacturers.

AustinChief 10-18-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 9029038)
Google is already significantly limiting their profit with the Nexus line.

Dropping the price even more is great for the market overall, but I can't think Google can/would continue to lose more money on it by going with a lower price point. I mean, they obviously have the equity to absorb it right now. But eventually they need to make some money to justify the market participation and encourage further inovation.

To be clear, Google does NOT lose money on the Nexus 7.. they don't make a whole lot, but it isn't sold at a loss. The rumor is that they will release a Nexus 7 II with better specs at the $200 price point and discount the old one (or have a new stripped down one) at $99. But it is a completely unfounded rumor, just some random dudes guessing at this point.

If by some miracle they do release a decent $99 tablet... or hell even a $149 tablet.. they should sell the bejezes out of them if they aren't total crap on the specs.

WoodDraw 10-18-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9029138)
To be clear, Google does NOT lose money on the Nexus 7.. they don't make a whole lot, but it isn't sold at a loss. The rumor is that they will release a Nexus 7 II with better specs at the $200 price point and discount the old one (or have a new stripped down one) at $99. But it is a completely unfounded rumor, just some random dudes guessing at this point.

If by some miracle they do release a decent $99 tablet... or hell even a $149 tablet.. they should sell the bejezes out of them if they aren't total crap on the specs.

It has to be damn close when you factor in marketing, and all. Google had one goal with the Nexus - to prove that Android could work as a tablet. They were getting annoyed with shit, overpriced products and with Amazon.

But the Nexus has been out for what, six months? Maybe we'll see a 32 gig version, but I don't think Google will do anything more. As for 10in tablet, I don't know. But Google has never been good at keeping secrets, and we haven't seen anything there.

I think this announcement will be content based, and not hardware (other than new Nexus phone, which has been leaking for ages).

notorious 10-21-2012 02:12 PM

So, should I wait on a Windows8 tablet to come out for my business or go with an Ipad or Android Tablet?

Pitt Gorilla 10-21-2012 02:18 PM

American Airlines pilots are using iPads.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...ases_of_flight

as are many other pilots, including the Air Force.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/many-pilots...n-the-cockpit/

NewChief 10-21-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9035803)
American Airlines pilots are using iPads.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...ases_of_flight

as are many other pilots, including the Air Force.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/many-pilots...n-the-cockpit/

Just please god make sure they turn them completely OFF during takeoff or landing. Those things are a hazard to airline safety!

notorious 10-21-2012 02:35 PM

Ipad has awesome apps for Instrument approaches and weather.

Having a backlit ILS plate on my lap at night in bad weather would be very nice. Almost all of my pilot buddies have one.

BWillie 10-21-2012 02:41 PM

I've found out Tablets are not for me. I don't have a use for 4 devices (desktop, laptop, tablet, smart phone). I have the admit though, the windows tablet that can also act as a laptop is a cool idea.

WoodDraw 10-21-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9035782)
So, should I wait on a Windows8 tablet to come out for my business or go with an Ipad or Android Tablet?

Well you should wait until the end of this month. At that point, Microsoft, Google, and Apple will all have new products out.

After that, pick the one that you like the best and fits your needs the best.

notorious 10-21-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 9035912)
Well you should wait until the end of this month. At that point, Microsoft, Google, and Apple will all have new products out.

After that, pick the one that you like the best and fits your needs the best.

Thanks.

Mr. Laz 10-22-2012 05:38 PM

Kindle Touch bites the dust

You're only allowed to touch the Paperwhite

By Simon Sharwood, APAC EditorGet more from this author

Posted in Hardware, 22nd October 2012 23:35 GMT
Just a week after removing the jumbo-sized Kindle DX from its range of e-readers, Amazon has erased the Kindle Touch from its catalogue too.

The Touch was introduced just last year, as a mid-range e-reading option that improved on the eensy-weensy keyboard offered in early Kindles, and was rather more elegant to use than the four-way button on more recent pieces of kindling.

But the first 'readoslab' has not been able to survive the arrival of its brighter and similarly tactile brother, the Kindle PaperWhite, the Wi-Fi-only model of which usurped the Touch's US$119 price position.

There's more bad news for those keen on a Kindle, as Amazon says you can expect to wait four to six weeks before either Paperwhite model reaches your hands. ®

Fish 10-23-2012 11:45 AM

It's interesting that the REAL tablet wars are just about to start.... considering Apple has now sold over 100 million iPads....

Better late than never I suppose..

:evil:

memyselfI 10-23-2012 12:02 PM

I have an Asus Transformer 300t, Samsung Galaxy 3, a four year old desktop, and a two year old laptop. The laptop is used to stream Netflix to my TV and is rarely used for anything other than a backup when my office is busy hosting guests. It doubles as our guest room. All other activity is done on my tablet (which I love) and smartphone. I also still use my desktop daily. My laptop has become the disposable device. I thought it would be the desktop but nope.

I have been an Android user since G1 and could care less what Apple does.

underEJ 10-23-2012 02:16 PM

I have been holding out on any new tech items for a while now to see how the surface pro looks. I have a few things I like to do on a computer and unfortunately they all need different hardware. I currently edit and do some 3d and 2d graphic side projects on my 8 year old apple G5, write extensively and watch movies while traveling on my 6 year old sony vaio micropc, read on a kindle, work/home email and browse the internet mostly on my droid.

I would pay alot of money to consolidate. I have been holding out because nothing new has offered to compete with what I currently have while also moving me toward my goal of less devices.

If I could consolidate all but the editing/ CG work (the power needed for that is unique and I'm not likely to find it portable,) it would be worth alot of money to me. The surface pro with a full featured operating system could be the first real contender, though it still falls short of my consolidation goal. If I could make a call now and again from it and made a choice to read on a back lit screen, I could have one mobile device and a monster desktop. HEAVEN.

Sadly, still waiting for the big winner, though I will look seriously at the Surface Pro. I think I probably am their target demographic, but it still falls short of my wish list.

DaveNull 10-23-2012 03:43 PM

Isn't that kind of the overall problem with the Surface? It's either an underpowered laptop with crappy keyboard or an overpowered tablet running a desktop operating system.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9039720)
Kindle Touch bites the dust

You're only allowed to touch the Paperwhite

By Simon Sharwood, APAC EditorGet more from this author

Posted in Hardware, 22nd October 2012 23:35 GMT
Just a week after removing the jumbo-sized Kindle DX from its range of e-readers, Amazon has erased the Kindle Touch from its catalogue too.

The Touch was introduced just last year, as a mid-range e-reading option that improved on the eensy-weensy keyboard offered in early Kindles, and was rather more elegant to use than the four-way button on more recent pieces of kindling.

But the first 'readoslab' has not been able to survive the arrival of its brighter and similarly tactile brother, the Kindle PaperWhite, the Wi-Fi-only model of which usurped the Touch's US$119 price position.

There's more bad news for those keen on a Kindle, as Amazon says you can expect to wait four to six weeks before either Paperwhite model reaches your hands. ®

Not at all unexpected given the response to the Kindle Fire. Technology was just progressing too quickly for the standalone e-reader to remain a viable device for very long...

htismaqe 10-24-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlockbabymomma (Post 9042819)
I have an Asus Transformer 300t, Samsung Galaxy 3, a four year old desktop, and a two year old laptop. The laptop is used to stream Netflix to my TV and is rarely used for anything other than a backup when my office is busy hosting guests. It doubles as our guest room. All other activity is done on my tablet (which I love) and smartphone. I also still use my desktop daily. My laptop has become the disposable device. I thought it would be the desktop but nope.

I have been an Android user since G1 and could care less what Apple does.

I think most people in your situation would ultimately decide the desktop is the one to go.

I've completely settled in with my iPad.

I use my laptop for work and my Android for making phone calls. I use the iPad for basically EVERYTHING else.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9043483)
Isn't that kind of the overall problem with the Surface? It's either an underpowered laptop with crappy keyboard or an overpowered tablet running a desktop operating system.

Basically.

Having used Windows 8 for several months, I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Deberg_1990 10-24-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9044837)
I think most people in your situation would ultimately decide the desktop is the one to go.

I use my laptop for work and my Android for making phone calls. I use the iPad for basically EVERYTHING else.

I thin it just depends on an individuals preference and situation. For me it was the laptop. My kids now use my old laptops for games, etc.......I still like to use my desktop PC for any work or productivity work i do at home. I have a seperate den/office with a nice desk in my house so i like using the room. My iPad i use all around the house for any fun stuff like surfing and Netflix. I dont really play PC games anymore. Only console.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9044859)
I thin it just depends on an individuals preference and situation. For me it was the laptop. My kids now use my old laptops for games, etc.......I still like to use my desktop PC for any work or productivity work i do at home. I have a seperate den/office with a nice desk in my house so i like using the room. My iPad i use all around the house for any fun stuff like surfing and Netflix. I dont really play PC games anymore. Only console.

I have a similar setup - office with a desk, only play console games, etc.

What it came down to was that I like to be able to use productivity/desktop apps from places other than my desk. So the laptop won out over the desktop.

notorious 10-24-2012 09:52 AM

I just saw the the Ipad Mini is going to run $329.

L.A. Chieffan 10-24-2012 09:57 AM

They should call it the iPad 2 Mini.

The ****ing thing doesnt even have a retina display. Weak sauce apple

Pitt Gorilla 10-24-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9044837)

Laptop for work, iPad for basically everything else.

Brock 10-24-2012 10:49 AM

review of the surface

http://gizmodo.com/5953866/microsoft...=recirculation

htismaqe 10-24-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9045264)
Laptop for work, iPad for basically everything else.

:thumb:

WoodDraw 10-24-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9045293)

The Verge gave it a pretty mild review too, although friendlier than that. Engadget gave a better one, but Engadget has been shit for awhile now.

Perhaps Microsoft should have kept these embargoed for a bit longer.

Deberg_1990 10-24-2012 11:20 AM

heh, in fairness, it doesnt seem all that bad as a pure tablet. The problem is MS is marketing it as more.

Maybe its time to admit theres no such thing as a pure "all in one" do it all device.

Laptops and Dekstops are for productivity
Tablets are for fun.

Nothing wrong with that.

Buehler445 10-24-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9045392)
heh, in fairness, it doesnt seem all that bad as a pure tablet. The problem is MS is marketing it as more.

Maybe its time to admit theres no such thing as a pure "all in one" do it all device.

Laptops and Dekstops are for productivity
Tablets are for fun.

Nothing wrong with that.

That's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine trying to plug any formulas in excel without a keyboard. It'd suck hard.

memyselfI 10-24-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9044864)
I have a similar setup - office with a desk, only play console games, etc.

What it came down to was that I like to be able to use productivity/desktop apps from places other than my desk. So the laptop won out over the desktop.

Me too. I use the desktop for production and because I have a 22" monitor which I sit very close to. I love the huge monitor and big freakin keyboard. I love the spaciousness.

I think the reason I do NOT like the laptop is because it's like a small desktop. Whereas I like the tablet because it's like a huge smartphone that can do so much..

The laptop just isn't comfortable.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlockbabymomma (Post 9046069)
Me too. I use the desktop for production and because I have a 22" monitor which I sit very close to. I love the huge monitor and big freakin keyboard. I love the spaciousness.

I think the reason I do NOT like the laptop is because it's like a small desktop. Whereas I like the tablet because it's like a huge smartphone that can do so much..

The laptop just isn't comfortable.

I have my laptop setup at my desk with 22" monitor, keyboard, and mouse on a docking station.

In all respects, AT MY DESK, it IS a desktop. But if I want to get up and take it in the other room, or with me on the road, I can.

memyselfI 10-24-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9046228)
I have my laptop setup at my desk with 22" monitor, keyboard, and mouse on a docking station.

In all respects, AT MY DESK, it IS a desktop. But if I want to get up and take it in the other room, or with me on the road, I can.

Well, that is what I plan to do now that my desktop is starting to show it's age.

Time to build another one. Which is another reason I like desktops. I'm perfectly fine taking one a part and fiddling and fixing. A laptop...not so much.

htismaqe 10-24-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitlockbabymomma (Post 9046285)
Well, that is what I plan to do now that my desktop is starting to show it's age.

Time to build another one. Which is another reason I like desktops. I'm perfectly fine taking one a part and fiddling and fixing. A laptop...not so much.

I used to be that way. Built dozens of PCs actually. I'm pretty comfortable taking laptops apart and fixing them.

However, I'm to the point now that if it isn't something I can fix, pull the HDD and throw the rest away.

Deberg_1990 10-24-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9046301)
I used to be that way. Built dozens of PCs actually. I'm pretty comfortable taking laptops apart and fixing them.

However, I'm to the point now that if it isn't something I can fix, pull the HDD and throw the rest away.

Heh, I think that's how most of us are anymore. It's funny, I remember back in the 90s we geeks used to sit around and talk about specs and laugh at people who bought all in one motherboards. Now days everything has become all in one again and completely disposable.

Buehler445 10-24-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9046228)

That's what I've got. I paid more for a laptop with a docking station. It is a 13.3" with respectable capacity.

That's why I haven't put money in a tablet. Other than the neato factor, I can't pick up any functionality.

htismaqe 10-25-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9046652)
That's what I've got. I paid more for a laptop with a docking station. It is a 13.3" with respectable capacity.

That's why I haven't put money in a tablet. Other than the neato factor, I can't pick up any functionality.

The thing is, as versatile as I've made my setup for the laptop, it still can't compete with the iPad for convenience.

Tablet OS'es are MUCH less bloated, which allows one to "sleep" instead of shutdown. Windows has to be shut down periodically so that it doesn't go schizoid. The iPad also doesn't have to be tethered to a power cord 90% of the time, either.

So if I've been watching TV for a couple hours and decide I want to look something up on the net, I'm reaching for the tablet because I can flip open the cover, do my search, read the output, and put the tablet away again, all in the time it would take my Windows laptop to BOOT.

Buehler445 10-25-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047594)
The thing is, as versatile as I've made my setup for the laptop, it still can't compete with the iPad for convenience.

Tablet OS'es are MUCH less bloated, which allows one to "sleep" instead of shutdown. Windows has to be shut down periodically so that it doesn't go schizoid. The iPad also doesn't have to be tethered to a power cord 90% of the time, either.

So if I've been watching TV for a couple hours and decide I want to look something up on the net, I'm reaching for the tablet because I can flip open the cover, do my search, read the output, and put the tablet away again, all in the time it would take my Windows laptop to BOOT.

I guess I am a little different.

I use my laptop for work too (docking station at home and at the office), so it gets shut down regularly. And I replaced the battery a year or so ago, so it will sleep all evening while I'm at home. If I use it much, I have to plug it in, but you have to do that with an Ipad also.

Coincidentally, my buddy has an Ipad, and every time I hop on it to check the weather or whatever, it has like 3% battery left. ROFL

htismaqe 10-25-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9047762)
I guess I am a little different.

I use my laptop for work too (docking station at home and at the office), so it gets shut down regularly. And I replaced the battery a year or so ago, so it will sleep all evening while I'm at home. If I use it much, I have to plug it in, but you have to do that with an Ipad also.

My work PC has a piece of corporate crapware that prevents it from using S3 mode. I also can't leave it logged in overnight because if I do, it installs patches and shuts down, terminating everything running whether I want it to or not. Even if this wasn't the case, you can't consistently use sleep mode with Windows and expect it to behave properly over long periods of time.

I don't know what your business desktop environment is like but between the Windows domain stuff (trying to contact AD before a VPN tunnel exists) and the corporate bloatware, my work PC takes a good 3-4 minutes to boot to Windows desktop, so there's absolutely no comparison between it and the iPad for convenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9047762)
Coincidentally, my buddy has an Ipad, and every time I hop on it to check the weather or whatever, it has like 3% battery left. ROFL

Now that's just sheer laziness. :D

Buehler445 10-25-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047851)
My work PC has a piece of corporate crapware that prevents it from using S3 mode. I also can't leave it logged in overnight because if I do, it installs patches and shuts down, terminating everything running whether I want it to or not. Even if this wasn't the case, you can't consistently use sleep mode with Windows and expect it to behave properly over long periods of time.

I don't know what your business desktop environment is like but between the Windows domain stuff (trying to contact AD before a VPN tunnel exists) and the corporate bloatware, my work PC takes a good 3-4 minutes to boot to Windows desktop, so there's absolutely no comparison between it and the iPad for convenience.

I don't have any of that crap to deal with anymore. Thank freaking god. The only thing I have is a windows profile for the exchange server. So I have a logon for the office and another one for my house unassociated with the Exchange.

Mr. Laz 10-25-2012 11:23 AM

Amazon debuts Kindle Windows 8 app

By Brian Heater http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...writer_rss.gif posted Oct 25th 2012 12:40PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...st_icon_pr.gif

With all the hubbub surrounding today's Microsoft event, who can blame Amazon for wanting to get in on the action? The mega-retailer used the opportunity to announce the Windows 8 version of its popular reading app. Interested parties can download the thing for free from the Windows Store, giving them access to the company's selection of 1.5 million titles. The app is available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese and offers up good old Amazon features like Whispersync. Amazon also used the opportunity to announce that Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Samsung will be pre-loading the app on their devices. More information can be found in the source link below.

WoodDraw 10-25-2012 01:50 PM

A few leaks today on the Nexus 10. Looks like Samsung is the manufacturer choice, which kind of sucks. But I'll wait and see.

Braincase 10-25-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9047851)

I'd kick an admin's ass. No reason for that in a properly configured AD environment. Yeah, there's some laziness, and it's on your network admins and AD designers. I've trimmed that **** up on multiple networks, and that's just wrong.