ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Jets exploring trade options for Revis? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269235)

O.city 01-23-2013 06:49 PM

Jets exploring trade options for Revis?

Jets owner Woody Johnson to explore trading Darrelle Revis
By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider
January 23, 2013 7:28 pm ET

The New York Jets, fresh off an exhaustive hunt for new general manager John Idzik, will explore options to deal star corner Darrelle Revis this offseason, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Revis, whose contract voids after the 2014 season, is set to earn $6 million in 2013 (between salary and bonuses), and owner Woody Johnson has strong reservations about the ability to extend Revis's deal, the sources said. Johnson has expressed his desire to attempt to land value for Revis now, rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent a year from now, most likely seeking as much draft-pick compensation for him as possible.

The Jets are very much in transition mode, they have cap issues moving forward and are trying to embark on a rebuilding processafter firing former long-time general manager Mike Tannenbaum. Revis, who missed almost all of last season after suffering a torn ACL, engaged in a long holdout in 2010 that resulted in a contract extension that was more of a Band-Aid than anything else.

Revis signed a seven-year deal then that voids to a four-year pact, thus making him an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The deal also precludes him being hit with the franchise tag or any other such mechanism. Johnson has made it very clear he would like to pursue a means to reap rewards for Revis now, sources said, and it is likely to be an immediate part of Idzik's initial job duties.

Revis is considered by many to be the best defensive player in the game. And with pass rusher Mario Williams earning$60 million guaranteedfrom Buffalo a year ago, Johnson understands how financially restrictive it would be to retain him. His team desperately needs young, cheap, impact players to help reposition the team for the future, with 2013 a year of transition.

Revis is the only real trading chip that he has. Knee injury or not, there would be no shortage of teams interested in securing his services and no shortage of rebuilding teams sitting on massive cap space in 2013. The Jets are also likely to be hard-pressed to retain free agents like tight end Dustin Keller, running back Shonn Greene and defensive tackle Mike DeVito, though they will make a push to retain DeVito, the sources said.

Getting Revis signed to an extension would be a possibility to trying to remedy this situation, but the sources said Johnson has established his desire to move him if he can secure fair value in exchange.

Dealing Revis would incur a $9 million cap hit due to some option-bonus prorations involved in the contract -- thus Revis would count an additional $3 million against the cap than he is currently scheduled to -- but the Jets could navigate that relatively easily according to sources familiar with their cap situation, via a restructuring or by releasing a veteran. The team is using 2013 as a year for cap and budgetary housecleaning, to get situated for the future. It stands to reason that come 2014, both Revis and head coach Rex Ryan, are gone.

Any interest?

KCrockaholic 01-23-2013 06:52 PM

#1 overall for Revis?

Nah.

Rasputin 01-23-2013 06:53 PM

I would not give up draft picks for him. They can use a QB say a Matt Cassell & throw in Brady Quinn deal done.

SAUTO 01-23-2013 06:54 PM

Not really
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts 01-23-2013 06:54 PM

Holy shit. La Confora is losing some weight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/queLfI0X_yQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC kid 01-23-2013 06:58 PM

Branden Albert?

BossChief 01-23-2013 06:58 PM

Honestly, with us keeping Emmitt Thomas on staff and with us moving to a more attacking defense, I'd rather us spend the pick on a Corner in the draft. If the Jets would take our third and Revis is healthy and would sign a reasonable extension, I'd do that...but otherwise I'd just go get our own kid.

Maybe I'd do something like our second for Revis and a couple kid rounders.

ThaVirus 01-23-2013 06:59 PM

Someone will pay dearly for him...

Rather it not be us, although he is amazing.

SAUTO 01-23-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9345621)
Branden Albert?

I don't think he's fast enough to be a corner
Posted via Mobile Device

OrtonsPiercedTaint 01-23-2013 07:00 PM

Reid already picked the best CB in Assamoah. Not sure how he liked that.

Rasputin 01-23-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Branden Albert?

LOLWUT?

And they wonder why we neg rep these n00bs.

CaliforniaChief 01-23-2013 07:01 PM

Paging Daniel Snyder....

Sofa King 01-23-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Branden Albert?

:spock:

O.city 01-23-2013 07:02 PM

If he could be had for a 3rd? Yeah, for sure.

If he's healthy, I'd send out second for him. The guy is a legit shutdown half the field corner.

BossChief 01-23-2013 07:08 PM

28yrs old (in football terms)
Coming off acl repair
Would be on a 1 year deal and will be looking for the largest contract ever for a cb.
Would require premium compensation in a trade.

I'd love to have him, but I'm not sure about all the costs involved being worth it.

It just sucks that ***** let Carr walk because he didn't want to hurt Flowers feelings...these conversations shouldn't even be taking place.