ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football What is Jim Harbaugh doing right? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263824)

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8920625)
Thats why i said its early. He hasnt won anything yet. Marty won some playoff games early in his career too. I mainly meant they both have that same hard nosed style and their teams reflect that.

Give me a break, Dude.

Jim Harbaugh took over San Diego University and they went 11-1 in two consecutive seasons. He took Stanford to the Orange Bowl won a BCS bowl. He successfully recruited and coached up the best quarterback prospect since Peyton Manning.

In his first season in the NFL as a head coach, he was one fumble from the Super Bowl and his team is 2-0 to start his second season.

He's nothing like a Schottemheimer, Brian, Marty or Kurt.

Ace Gunner 09-17-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8920606)
Its early, but he appears to be a young Schottenheimer.

When did Marty shove a coach out his way on the way out of somebody else's stadium?

Ya. That's one difference. A big difference imo. Marty was tough, but he didn't know how to win with offense, only defense.

Jim H is a former pro QB, so there's that. And if you want to know how much of an asshole he is about winning, talk with his brother, or Sean Salsbury, or Rich Gannon -- those guys know him and they damn near scrapped every day when these guys were young.

Molitoth 09-17-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

at the NFL level, confidence is 90% of football
I agree. And Making a qb change would cause a spark.

Bowser 09-17-2012 11:24 AM

Collinsworth last night kept pointing out how the Niners D could do so many things because their two inside linebackers don't come off the field in nickel. Apparently that is huge for the type of defense they run, not to mention those guys just don't miss tackles.

As far as their offense goes, being a former succesful QB would pay dividends with helping a guy work through his issues.

Besically, Harbaugh is just a hell of a coach.

In58men 09-17-2012 11:24 AM

Without SFs defense they would be shit. Defense wins championships. We don't have a defenses, we have young guys who don't know how to keep the foot on the gas. We have quitters.

Black Bob 09-17-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8920593)
He has a quarterback who's not the most skilled guy in the world.

He's got some high draft picks in the front seven on defense.

His best player is an inside linebacker.

He's got a pretty good running back.

He's got a very good wide receiver who's not the most savvy guy on the block. (You can apply that to either Crabtree or Moss, I suspect.)

Is this sounding familiar? And if so, why are the 49ers winning while the Chiefs are...the Chiefs? What's he doing differently?

You forgot about all of the o-line draft picks. Also, he has leaders like Frank Gore and Patrick Willis. Those guys are vocal and produce.

Bowser 09-17-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8920622)
I never thought he was all the great a QB, but he was definately hard nosed and got the most out of his limited abilities. Sounds like his football teams.

He was a near catch on a hail mary away from beating the Steelers and playing in the Super Bowl.

mcaj22 09-17-2012 11:26 AM

Harbaugh literally stands in the huddle every play and calls it like he's the QB still lol

they were talking about that last night too, he's never just standing on the sidelines.

Brock 09-17-2012 11:26 AM

He has a competitive fire and he knows how to get others to feel it too.

CoMoChief 09-17-2012 11:29 AM

49ers have the best front 7 in football.

They have a ton of receiving weapons in the passing game and have 2 good RB's and he's been able to develop a former 1st round talent.

the Talking Can 09-17-2012 11:30 AM

he really works the hips and gets up in there

cdcox 09-17-2012 11:34 AM

Alex D. Smith destroyer of worlds.

Rasputin 09-17-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8920611)
First off, he comes from a family of coaches. His Dad was a coach at Western Kentucky and he interned there during his NFL offseasons. Secondly, he was a successful college and NFL QB that commanded and deserved respect.

Not only did he intern at WK, his first real head coaching gig was at San Diego, which has never been a football powerhouse. He brought in good players and they bought into his program. After a few years of success, he duplicated that model at Stanford, where he brought a "Brain" school into national attention with Andrew Luck and a solid, fundamentally sound football program.

Jed Yorke trusts him. Trent Baalke trusts him. He doesn't get involved in anything other than coaching. He's a tough guy with high expectations and players respect him because they know he's been there but also that his coaching formula works.

At the NFL level, confidence is 90% of football.

His father was a mudder, his mudder was a mudder

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...987/kramer.jpg
Getty up

Sorter 09-17-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8920593)
He's got a very good wide receiver who's not the most savvy guy on the block. (You can apply that to Moss, I suspect.)

I disagree. McDaniels, Brady, and Belichick have all remarked at how intelligent and competent Randy was. They also have said they were surprised how quickly he picked up their playbook and his own insights on defenses, coverages, and players.

Moss does stupid stuff and makes you want to yank your hair out but he's definitely not stupid. I don't know if that is what you meant by savvy (probably you meant more about his actions and personality), but in terms of practical intelligence in relation to football, Randy is top-tier by all accounts.

Sorter 09-17-2012 11:41 AM

They tackle much better, are better in coverage on D, both safeties are excellent in run support and not bad in coverage, and they use an aggressive, 1-gap 3-4 defensive front.

IMO, you make this team play the 1-gap, draft a solid ILB talent to replace Belcher(dismal coverage skills), move Poe to DE and start Powe, you could get somewhere.