ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

Ceej 01-06-2012 12:52 PM

So, would be a healthier lunch be tuna in a tortilla with jalapenos?!

Sorry for the questions.. just wondering.

Sitting at 340 calories so far today.

I'm a big guy, so proportions are going to be the bane of me.

memyselfI 01-06-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 8268196)
If you are going to stretch do not do it cold. You should never stretch a muscle before it has 'warmed' up.

Personally I find stretching worthless.

Again, if you are in your 20s or 30s you may not understand the importance of stretching. As we age though flexibility becomes much more important as our muscles lose their range of motion and become weaker. Strength training and flexibility/stretch training should go hand in hand.

I think physical therapists, yoga teachers, pilates instructors, etc. would disagree with your assertion of stretching being worthless. Of course, this attitude does guarantee a boom of future business for all of the aforementioned. Not to mention big pharma.

NewChief 01-06-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8268860)
So, would be a healthier lunch be tuna in a tortilla with jalapenos?!

Sorry for the questions.. just wondering.

Sitting at 340 calories so far today.

I'm a big guy, so proportions are going to be the bane of me.

Tuna on a daily basis is a little questionable due to mercury content. And healthier than what? If your main goal is just to lose weight, it's calories in vs. calories out. That's it. Now you'll get more "bang for your buck" out of certain foods as far as the way you feel.

Nutrition is extremely industry and trend driven, so it's a pretty huge debate when you start talking about healthy eating.

Silock 01-06-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short Leash Hootie (Post 8268557)
Explain proper technique of deadlift and bent-over row please! And 5x5?

Dieselcrew.com has great technique videos.

For 5x5, look at first post.

Silock 01-06-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 8268864)
Again, if you are in your 20s or 30s you may not understand the importance of stretching. As we age though flexibility becomes much more important as our muscles lose their range of motion and become weaker. Strength training and flexibility/stretch training should go hand in hand.

I think physical therapists, yoga teachers, pilates instructors, etc. would disagree with your assertion of stretching being worthless. Of course, this attitude does guarantee a boom of future business for all of the aforementioned. Not to mention big pharma.

Stretching is good. I do it before every workout, after my warmup. However, you don't need to go overboard with it. For most muscle groups, 15-30 seconds per day is all that is needed. However, a lot of lifters still need a lot of mobility work, especially in the shoulder and hip areas, so they need to stretch there a lot more and concentrate on that as much as their lifting. It will improve form and prevent injury.

Some foam rolling helps, too.

Silock 01-06-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Start Croyle (Post 8268749)
After doing this 'bulk up', they cut back again and try to lose a lot of the fat they gained.

Scientific studies show that they do not gain a ton of muscle while doing this. Some muscle, absolutely. But for advanced lifters, it's not any more than they could build while following a diet that provides enough energy to build muscle but not so much that they store fat. It eliminates the need to yo yo in weight all the time.

Quote:

My plan is to follow something like what I just described! I will try to stay at approximately the same weight or lose maybe 10 more pounds while doing moderate strength training until I am more lean. Then, when I reach that goal I will eat like a crazy person while hitting the gym every day!
Don't do that. Start your serious strength training NOW. You WILL lose weight. Get about 120g of protein, 1800-2000 cals per day, and you'll lose fat and build muscle. After you have done that, THEN you can start eating like a horse and trying to build a lot more muscle. Start your Starting Strength program immediately. No need to hit the gym every day, either. 3 times per week is optimal on a good program like the 5x5.

Quote:

Should I go back to the doctor?
YES.

Ceej 01-06-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8268903)
Tuna on a daily basis is a little questionable due to mercury content. And healthier than what? If your main goal is just to lose weight, it's calories in vs. calories out. That's it. Now you'll get more "bang for your buck" out of certain foods as far as the way you feel.

Nutrition is extremely industry and trend driven, so it's a pretty huge debate when you start talking about healthy eating.

I had two tortillas, with grilled chicken, jalapenos on it. With a green tea, plus an orange. According to my math I'm at 840 calories, not including dinner and my workout later.

Demonpenz 01-06-2012 02:17 PM

I have been working on Praying and fasting. I am down 40 pounds from a couple years ago. I have been walking to help cope with life. I am averaging 45 minutes approx walking per day 5:15 to 6:00 feeling really good. I try to listen to or read about how excersize and eating correctly help you. Really focus on the "high" you get after you work out. Overall I am happier than ever, and look around at heavier people and I thank God I am not there anymore.

Omaha 01-06-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 8268864)

I think he meant stretching prior to a workout as a warm up. I agree with your post. I do yoga and consider it a workout on its own. I thought he was saying that static stretching prior to lifting is worthless as a warm up.

lewdog 01-06-2012 04:31 PM

Got some Tommy Kono knee sleeves today. Damn these are tight as shit. Hopefully they will help stabilize everything for me and possibly even be better for my hips. I am willing to try anything for my hips as nothing so far has really helped much.

chiefzilla1501 01-06-2012 07:36 PM

Probably should have asked this before I bought it.

But today bought "White Flood." Need a good pump, but I'm not a big fan of creatine. Anyone try this before?

chiefs2012 01-06-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8269960)
Probably should have asked this before I bought it.

But today bought "White Flood." Need a good pump, but I'm not a big fan of creatine. Anyone try this before?

I've tried it before, I felt like I got a good pump from it and equally compared energy wise to other preworkouts.

Silock 01-06-2012 10:58 PM

The "pump" is useless and does nothing for muscle building.

Creatine does.

chiefzilla1501 01-07-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8270638)
The "pump" is useless and does nothing for muscle building.

Creatine does.

There's no other alternative? Because creatine tends to give me headaches.

Silock 01-07-2012 01:58 AM

Creatine is one of the only supplements that does what it says it will -- help you build muscle. But it's not a deal breaker. I wouldn't worry about it.