ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Clark Hunt wanted to keep Scott Pioli (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273998)

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-21-2013 12:38 PM

Clark Hunt wanted to keep Scott Pioli

Expect Little From “Media” Member Pioli
June 20, 2013 - Bob Gretz | Comments (14)

It happened near the end of the disastrous 2012 Chiefs season. Whether the moment came during a face-to-face meeting or over a conference call isn’t known. But the key members of the Hunt Family football franchise took a vote.

The voters numbered six, including Lamar Jr., Sharron, Clark and Daniel Hunt – all four of the team’s owners. Also part of the moment was Lee Derrough, former president & CEO of Hunt Midwest Enterprises and now a trustee of the Lamar Hunt and family interests in Kansas City. The sixth person involved was team president Mark Donovan.

The subject was the future of Scott Pioli as the franchise’s general manager. How much discussion, if any, that went on is not clear. What is known is that a vote was taken on whether to keep Pioli, or fire him after four years in charge of the Chiefs.

The vote was 5-1, in favor of dumping Pioli. The only vote in his favor came from Clark Hunt. …Read More!

http://www.bobgretz.com/

In58men 06-21-2013 12:41 PM

We're still talking about Scooter. Thought he was fired awhile back ago.

Dave Lane 06-21-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9767216)

It happened near the end of the disastrous 2012 Chiefs season. Whether the moment came during a face-to-face meeting or over a conference call isn’t known. But the key members of the Hunt Family football franchise took a vote.

The voters numbered six, including Lamar Jr., Sharron, Clark and Daniel Hunt – all four of the team’s owners. Also part of the moment was Lee Derrough, former president & CEO of Hunt Midwest Enterprises and now a trustee of the Lamar Hunt and family interests in Kansas City. The sixth person involved was team president Mark Donovan.

The subject was the future of Scott Pioli as the franchise’s general manager. How much discussion, if any, that went on is not clear. What is known is that a vote was taken on whether to keep Pioli, or fire him after four years in charge of the Chiefs.

The vote was 5-1, in favor of dumping Pioli. The only vote in his favor came from Clark Hunt. …Read More!

Holy shit really? He's that dumb?

DMAC 06-21-2013 12:41 PM

Thuper

mcaj22 06-21-2013 12:42 PM

Thank you Mark Donovan and the rest of the Hunts for having a functioning brain.

Donger 06-21-2013 12:43 PM

I suppose all the "Thank you, Clark!" posts are going to have to be revised...

Stewie 06-21-2013 12:46 PM

He has his father's blood in his veins. Loyal to a fault.

Imon Yourside 06-21-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9767228)
I suppose all the "Thank you, Clark!" posts are going to have to be revised...

You could sub Clark W. Griswold instead.

Dayze 06-21-2013 12:52 PM

is our Clark reeruned?

Imon Yourside 06-21-2013 12:52 PM

in b4 the Chunt.

alpha_omega 06-21-2013 12:54 PM

Glad it didn't turn out that way....imagine how bad things would be here if Pioli were still in charge.

alpha_omega 06-21-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 9767253)
Glad it didn't turn out that way....imagine how bad things would be here if Pioli were still in charge.

Wait...did i miss the filter being removed. *****

Imon Yourside 06-21-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 9767254)
Wait...did i miss the filter being removed. *****

If you're sly you can sneak one by.

Frazod 06-21-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 9767245)
hmm....that's concerning. Maybe the wrong Clark is running the show, here.

Is Griswold available? Even he would have been smart enough to whack Pissoli.

Jesus, this is just frightening.

tomahawk kid 06-21-2013 01:02 PM

I find this extremely hard to believe.

I also find most of our 'insiders' here on the board much more reliable that Blob Gretz.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9767249)
is our Clark reeruned?

I think so, at least when it comes to pro football.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid (Post 9767272)
I find this extremely hard to believe.

I also find most of our 'insiders' here on the board much more reliable that Blob Gretz.

that's reasonable -- considering Gretz actually knows the Hunts and speaks with them occasionally, whereas the cp gang largely doesn't even go to arrowhead, much less actually know the Hunt family.

tomahawk kid 06-21-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9767288)
that's reasonable -- considering Gretz actually knows the Hunts and speaks with them occasionally, whereas the cp gang largely doesn't even go to arrowhead, much less actually know the Hunt family.

So you find it plausible that the Hunts, much less Clark, would give Blob details of the vote to oust Pioli and therefore throw their brother (or in Clark's case - himself) under the bus?

Chief_For_Life58 06-21-2013 01:14 PM

obviously he wanted to keep pioli...clarks just as dumb as scott

SAUTO 06-21-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid (Post 9767294)
So you find it plausible that the Hunts, much less Clark, would give Blob details of the vote of oust Pioli and therefore throw their brother (or in Clark's case - himself) under the bus?

exactly

CoMoChief 06-21-2013 01:14 PM

Well there ya go.....Clark either doesn't know anything about how to make critical decisions as to what's best for the team, or he doesn't care and only $$$ is the real issue to him.

Good thing it came down to a vote, so at least someone with a brain could at least cancel out his dumbass.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

So you find it plausible that the Hunts, much less Clark, would give Blob details of the vote to oust Pioli and therefore throw their brother (or in Clark's case - himself) under the bus?

I didn't say that. I said Gretz is a reliable source for Chiefs news and this place is a destination point for that news. but I can see how that would confuse you into thinking it's the other way around.

Canofbier 06-21-2013 01:23 PM

I'm not able to access the article (subscription needed), but does the article touch on Clark's motivation? I have no doubt that he was in close contact with all the people in the voting group, and it wouldn't surprise me if he knew ahead of time that everyone else would vote to can him. In that situation, is it really that surprising that he would vote in favor of his multi-year colleague as a gesture of good faith?

notorious 06-21-2013 01:26 PM

If that is how reeruned our owner is we might as well jettison this garbage franchise right now.

the Talking Can 06-21-2013 01:37 PM

if the fans don't freak out and take a steaming dump on arrowhead, pioli is still here...

Clark was as interested in firing pioli as he was actually drafting a QB

Cannibal 06-21-2013 01:39 PM

Pioli Would Have Given Cassel Yet Another Chance.

notorious 06-21-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9767341)
Pioli Would Have Given Cassel Yet Another Chance.

This shouldn't piss me off, but for some reason it still does.

BlackHelicopters 06-21-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9767216)

What?

Chiefs Pantalones 06-21-2013 01:46 PM

This is not surprising. If this was a new, reborn Clark we wouldn't have a retread like Alex ****ing Smith QBing our Chiefs like we always do. He would've made sure a high drafted QB is on the roster right now.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 01:46 PM

There's a possibility that Clark wanted to play good guy since he was the person who actually had to sit down face to face with Scott and shit-can him:

"Welp, I voted for you buddy, but majority says pack your shit and hit the bricks"!

OnTheWarpath15 06-21-2013 01:51 PM

http://oi50.tinypic.com/1232vcw.jpg

J Diddy 06-21-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9767358)
There's a possibility that Clark wanted to play good guy since he was the person who actually had to sit down face to face with Scott and shit-can him:

"Welp, I voted for you buddy, but majority says pack your shit and hit the bricks"!

Yes because he couldn't have just told him whatever when he did it.

:rolleyes:

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 02:02 PM

Poor Mitch: "perhaps draft a franchise QB"?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9767366)

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9767394)
Yes because he couldn't have just told him whatever when he did it.

:rolleyes:

I understand your point, but the Hunt family has this thing about not wanting to be percieved as assholes.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-21-2013 02:06 PM

It's become really easy to just not give a shit about the Chiefs.

J Diddy 06-21-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9767399)
I understand your point, but the Hunt family has this thing about not wanting to be percieved as assholes.

I'm just going to go ahead and disagree here and say point blank Clark, just like his father, didn't want to change GMs. When you have steadman forever and you have peterson forever, it is very uncharacteristic to admit you're wrong 4 years into the next guy.

BlackHelicopters 06-21-2013 02:09 PM

Aliens.

HemiEd 06-21-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

Frazod 06-21-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9767407)
I'm just going to go ahead and disagree here and say point blank Clark, just like his father, didn't want to change GMs. When you have steadman forever and you have peterson forever, it is very uncharacteristic to admit you're wrong 4 years into the next guy.

It's just crazy, though. The entire city turned on the team. If they'd kept that prick another year there would have been more people on the field than in the stands.

HemiEd 06-21-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9767366)

We are going to draft a QB, I promise!/Clark

BlackHelicopters 06-21-2013 02:14 PM

3-13.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9767415)
Exactly.

Gretz did not say who this info came from, but it's obvious to me his source on this info was not a Hunt fam member.

The Bad Guy 06-21-2013 02:21 PM

What has to be established here is when this vote was taken. Near the end could mean November, it could mean December.

I know in November that there were people convinced Pioli would be back. After the Broncos game those same people were convinced he was gone.

I've posted this 100 times. I thought Pioli would be here for 10+ years because of how much Clark crushed on him. Clark didn't think he had a prayer to get him to come here in 09. He bought into everything he said, like a brainwashing of sorts.

If this is true, and with Gretz I'm skeptical, but it would fall in line with that.

Whatever the case, I'm glad at least Clark's family is smart.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9767419)
It's just crazy, though. The entire city turned on the team. If they'd kept that prick another year there would have been more people on the field than in the stands.

yet there was scooter riding shotgun into the off season hunt with clark, to look for a new coach.

J Diddy 06-21-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9767434)
Gretz did not say who this info came from, but it's obvious to me his source on this info was not a Hunt fam member.

Exactly. Being privy to this info doesn't necessarily mean that they performed in the act.

Bitches be having secretaries and shit. Hell for all we know, Pioli had the whole family tapped and knew ahead of time.

J Diddy 06-21-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9767447)
yet there was scooter riding shotgun into the off season hunt with clark, to look for a new coach.

I truly believe if Reid would have said yeah on Pioli, he'd still be here.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9767445)
What has to be established here is when this vote was taken. Near the end could mean November, it could mean December.

I know in November that there were people convinced Pioli would be back. After the Broncos game those same people were convinced he was gone.

I've posted this 100 times. I thought Pioli would be here for 10+ years because of how much Clark crushed on him. Clark didn't think he had a prayer to get him to come here in 09. He bought into everything he said, like a brainwashing of sorts.

If this is true, and with Gretz I'm skeptical, but it would fall in line with that.

Whatever the case, I'm glad at least Clark's family is smart.

If Gretz lied, you wouldn't see him sitting in the media room with the rest of them come august. It's understandable, I guess, that fans hate Gretz' for his style and his former position with the team media group, but to call him a liar so desperate for work that he would jeopardize his future covering the Chiefs is far fetched slander imo. Not that you said it.

tomahawk kid 06-21-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9767468)
If Gretz lied, you wouldn't see him sitting in the media room with the rest of them come august. It's understandable, I guess, that fans hate Gretz' for his style and his former position with the team media group, but to call him a liar so desperate for work that he would jeopardize his future covering the Chiefs is far fetched slander imo. Not that you said it.

How does lying preclude that in your mind?

Kevin Keitzman, to my knowledge, isn't barred from attending press conferences at Arrowhead- and he's been making up shit for years.

I mean, we're still waiting for the damned cell phone to ring with information that "will shake the NFL to its foundations".

BlackHelicopters 06-21-2013 02:34 PM

Unicorns and rainbows.

Lex Luthor 06-21-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9767220)
We're still talking about Scooter. Thought he was fired awhile back ago.

This thread isn't about Pioli. It's about Clark Hunt. He still owns the team.

Setsuna 06-21-2013 02:51 PM

LOL at people in denial.

T-post Tom 06-21-2013 03:15 PM

:BS: Fanning the flames of fans' scooter angst in an attempt to boost membership. Or he got bad info.

Sannyasi 06-21-2013 03:18 PM

I thought the choice to keep or fire Pioli had been given to Andy Reid?

BlackHelicopters 06-21-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9767459)
I truly believe if Reid would have said yeah on Pioli, he'd still be here.

Be very afraid of this statement.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid (Post 9767478)
How does lying preclude that in your mind?

Kevin Keitzman, to my knowledge, isn't barred from attending press conferences at Arrowhead- and he's been making up shit for years.

I mean, we're still waiting for the damned cell phone to ring with information that "will shake the NFL to its foundations".

well if you don't believe it's true then...

JFC if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.. clark has not shown anything but incompetence to me. "A" for effort, I guess.

Kevin Keitzman is not a football mind in my book, he's not even in Gretz' area code for all things football.

Hammock Parties 06-21-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9767404)
It's become really easy to just not give a shit about the Chiefs.

Yep.

A part of me has died.

Steron 06-21-2013 03:29 PM

Things like this make black baby Jesus weep.

mcaj22 06-21-2013 03:46 PM

I like that Mark Donovan turned his back on Scooter, and essentially we probably have Mark Donovan to thank for talking in Clark's ear for his buddy Andy Reid. So unsung hero of it all where are all things considered today might go to him.

Hammock Parties 06-21-2013 03:49 PM

Mark Donovan was like the inside man for SOC.

I'd like to send him a care package.

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9767614)
I like that Mark Donovan turned his back on Scooter, and essentially we probably have Mark Donovan to thank for talking in Clark's ear for his buddy Andy Reid. So unsung hero of it all where are all things considered today might go to him.

this, I believe is true -- mark donovan and a few others in the existing staff perhaps made light to clarky of the reality scooter isn't going to bring in anybody but the mangini's of the planet, having run through his short list of coaches & staffs rather quickly.

I wouldn't "sing" about anything Chiefs just yet. Jamaal & Bowe -- that we know we got. The defense can be up & down, but tends to get going later as the season rolls, but without offense ... yadayadayada.

they have the best QB group since trINT & co, so there's that. If they can get 2/3's trINT from Alex Smurf then we'll see a 9 - 6 team and maybe a post season "that was awful" performance. You know. The usual Chiefs "good season".

BlackHelicopters 06-21-2013 04:50 PM

I want to have Mark Donovan's children

Bump 06-21-2013 04:50 PM

and here we thought Clark Hunt was the ****ing man. The HNIC that isn't gonna allow to see his fathers team go down in flames any longer. Gifs were put up with Clark Hunt and sunglasses looking like a boss. I don't get it though, why did he want to keep Pioli? WTF?

Ace Gunner 06-21-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9767683)
and here we thought Clark Hunt was the ****ing man. The HNIC that isn't gonna allow to see his fathers team go down in flames any longer. Gifs were put up with Clark Hunt and sunglasses looking like a boss. I don't get it though, why did he want to keep Pioli? WTF?

because he doesn't know what a successful pro football team looks like?

Cannibal 06-21-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9767343)
This shouldn't piss me off, but for some reason it still does.

The thought infuriates me. I'm so glad both of those pole smokers are out of here.

Dante84 06-21-2013 05:11 PM

I completely believe Gretz. He was very well liked and still maintains a ton of connections from his time with the Chiefs.

Also, he hates Mitch, because Mitch pulled the "him or me" card to Carl when Gretz openly disagreed with him on air once, got Bob fired from the Chiefs. A ton of people thought it was bullshit, and Mitch has many a frenemy in the Chiefs organization (people who hate his guts, but pretend to like him).

Just a little background on Bob. He has lots of connections still, and is well liked within the walls of Arrowhead.

DRU 06-21-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9767314)
I'm not able to access the article (subscription needed), but does the article touch on Clark's motivation? I have no doubt that he was in close contact with all the people in the voting group, and it wouldn't surprise me if he knew ahead of time that everyone else would vote to can him. In that situation, is it really that surprising that he would vote in favor of his multi-year colleague as a gesture of good faith?

Exactly. Gave him the ability to pull the "I did everything I could but it was out of my hands" card with Pioli so they could stay good buddies. It's just politics.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 06-21-2013 09:19 PM

2013 and money still can't buy you a penis. What's the point? Just give it all to the poor.

RunKC 06-21-2013 09:29 PM

I guess Lamar didn't get his money's worth for sending Clark to SMU.

RunKC 06-21-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9767621)
Mark Donovan was like the inside man for SOC.

I'd like to send him a care package.

We should all be thanking him and Vermeil. Without them, Reid is not here right now.

LOCOChief 06-21-2013 09:57 PM

Who employed the democratic process?

Titty Meat 06-21-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9767702)
I completely believe Gretz. He was very well liked and still maintains a ton of connections from his time with the Chiefs.

Also, he hates Mitch, because Mitch pulled the "him or me" card to Carl when Gretz openly disagreed with him on air once, got Bob fired from the Chiefs. A ton of people thought it was bullshit, and Mitch has many a frenemy in the Chiefs organization (people who hate his guts, but pretend to like him).

Just a little background on Bob. He has lots of connections still, and is well liked within the walls of Arrowhead.

Lol what game was it where they disagreed?

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 10:07 PM

We need a breakdown of the REST of the article for some context.

BigRock 06-21-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9767702)

Have we started playing at Google Stadium yet?

EAT IT GRETZ

L.A. Chieffan 06-21-2013 10:44 PM

Can't blame him really, Scott did a decent job other than connecting with the common fan.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9768274)
Can't blame him really, Scott did a decent job other than connecting with the common fan.

LMAO

Brock 06-21-2013 10:48 PM

Nothing says competence like 5 wins a year.

RunKC 06-21-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9768274)

Posts like this make me wish we could literally beat the shit out of poster with an AIDS object (preferably a branch from the AIDS tree)

oh...and **** you!

RealSNR 06-21-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9768283)
Posts like this make me wish we could literally beat the shit out of poster with an AIDS object (preferably a branch from the AIDS tree)

oh...and **** you!

See? Internet rage is good sometimes!

Dante84 06-21-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 9768255)
Have we started playing at Google Stadium yet?

EAT IT GRETZ

Yeah, Google hasn't shown any interest in the Kansas City market at all. Oh, wait...

He missed on that one. Doesn't mean there wasn't smoke.

BlackHelicopters 06-22-2013 07:35 AM

Two women at once.