ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Coming To Film & Television (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=233177)

Bowser 09-12-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6988981)
This has disaster written all over it.

My thoughts exactly.

Red Brooklyn 10-29-2010 10:43 AM

Ron Howard's first movie based on Stephen King's The Dark Tower has been scheduled for May 17, 2013.

www.comingsoon.net

Jawshco 10-30-2010 02:47 AM

The problem with making any Dark Tower movie is that you have to start with book one, and that one is the slowest book of the bunch. If it tanks we don't get the drawing of the 3, which is my favorite of the series.

Red Brooklyn 10-30-2010 08:18 AM

It is a slow book. But I think it lends itself to film better than most of the other books in the series. It has the biggest upside, I guess. I think it could/should be visually stunning and it'll be the shortest of the films. There's a lot that can go right with Gunslinger. It's everything that comes after that makes me nervous. :) At least on film. The books get better... but the potential for ****-up also exponentially increases.

vailpass 11-01-2010 05:32 PM

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Rausch 11-02-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6992277)
He does, but he also has this anger boiling just under the surface presence to him that I'm not sure would work for Roland. It's been a few years since I read the series, so my recollection may be off, but I always envisioned Roland as being more of an Obi Wan badass yet still calm mentor type. Kind of like Gandalf with a gun.

Reminds me of Mad Max.

Always a fighter but with a huge dead space inside him...

kcmaxwell 11-02-2010 07:32 AM

I saw that somebody on the site with the full story suggested james mcavoy for eddie... i could get behind that!
I like olyphant for roland, not sure who i'd like to see as susannah. I don't know if i'm excited or scared for this whole project! It could be very awesome or incredibly terrible... It is such an awesome story! I read through it probably once a year, and i'd hate to see it get trashed!

seclark 11-02-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcmaxwell (Post 7138373)
I saw that somebody on the site with the full story suggested james mcavoy for eddie... i could get behind that!
I like olyphant for roland, not sure who i'd like to see as susannah. I don't know if i'm excited or scared for this whole project! It could be very awesome or incredibly terrible... It is such an awesome story! I read through it probably once a year, and i'd hate to see it get trashed!

?

mikeyis4dcats. 11-02-2010 07:47 AM

I would think they'd combine several books into a movie if only 3 movies are planned.

vailpass 11-02-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 7138392)
?

ROFL

vailpass 11-02-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7138402)
I would think they'd combine several books into a movie if only 3 movies are planned.

You don't think they'll just pick 3 books out of the 7 and leave the other 4 books completely out?

Red Brooklyn 11-02-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7139616)
You don't think they'll just pick 3 books out of the 7 and leave the other 4 books completely out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6988802)
The basic film/tv breakdown (if I'm reading this right) seems to be something like:

Film 1 - The Gunslinger
Season 1 - The Drawing of the Three
Film 2 - Wastelands
Season 2 - Wizard and Glass
Film 3 - Wolves of the Calla/Song of Susannah/Dark Tower

I'm sure the content of the final three books will be massively truncated. Some have speculated that Wolves & Song of Susannah may be cut almost entirely.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am excited for a little more info on the exact breakdown.

kaplin42 11-02-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7139692)
I'm sure the content of the final three books will be massively truncated. Some have speculated that Wolves & Song of Susannah may be cut almost entirely.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I am excited for a little more info on the exact breakdown.

That would suck if they cut Wolves. I thought that story was awesome.

Red Brooklyn 11-02-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 7139896)

Wolves is actually my favorite book in the series. I'd be really, REALLY bummed to see it cut. It's a really exceptional book. It's so visual too.

Shag 11-03-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 7139896)

I enjoyed the story, but it felt a little out of place in the meta-story. I could definitely see the vast majority of that book being cut...