ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Expectations and Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271413)

OnTheWarpath15 03-23-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9523912)
He is 29 and we basically gave up a first round pick for him and we are paying him 10 million dollars in 2013.

He needs to hit the ground running and play at a high level right away.

Yep.

Trading for Alex Smith is a "win-now" move, so I expect them to win right out of the gate. And not just in the regular season - there better be some playoff wins mixed in there.

Now, that's what should happen, based on the move itself.

What I expect will happen?

Dink. Dunk. Play it safe or take a sack. Hope the running game and/or defense carries the load.

Pretty much exactly what we've seen the last 4 years, but with more accuracy in the short passing game.

Yawn.

FringeNC 03-23-2013 04:09 PM

Some points:

--Andy Reid has always been able to get more out of QBs than other coaches, and that is why I wanted him to begin with.
--Andy Reid is not a play not-to-lose coach - we will throw a LOT.
--Andy Reid seems to REALLY have wanted Alex Smith.

Put all those together, it seems clear to me that Reid thinks has a plan for Alex Smith, and considers him a franchise quarterback. Alex Smith does not have an elite arm, but does have an elite brain (40 wonderlic). If I had to guess, I'd say Reid is tired of all the turnovers he got with Vick, and will run an offense like Gruden and Callahan did with Rich Gannon, and we will throw it a LOT more than you guys think. I'm not saying it's going to be successful, just arguing that we will not play not-to-lose crap.

Fat Elvis 03-23-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9523907)
I'll take a risk here, and I will be called a "true fan," but I think, depending on the draft and barring injury, we will be:

11-5

Alex has:

65% completion
3500 yards passing
20 TDs
7 Ints

I think Charles will be a big benefactor from the switch to Reid's offense and will have over 2,000 all purpose yards.

I also think with Alex's efficiency (some would say game management) our defense will be vaulted into the top 15 in the league, perhaps top 10.

I believe we will win at least one playoff game.

If Smith is injured, then all bets are off....

Edit: I didn't see Keg's post/prediction when I made this one....

I guess we are so far removed from decent QB play for me to realize this, but if you take Alex's average yards/att last year and project it to the average number of times a QB throws the ball under Reid, we would be looking at between a 4,500 and 5,000 yard season....

Fat Elvis 03-23-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

He is 29 and we basically gave up a first round pick for him and we are paying him 10 million dollars in 2013.

He not only needs to play at a high level right away, he needs to elevate the level of play of those around him as well.

OnTheWarpath15 03-23-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9523929)
Some points:

--Andy Reid has always been able to get more out of QBs than other coaches, and that is why I wanted him to begin with.
--Andy Reid is not a play not-to-lose coach - we will throw a LOT.
--Andy Reid seems to REALLY have wanted Alex Smith.

Put all those together, it seems clear to me that Reid thinks has a plan for Alex Smith, and considers him a franchise quarterback. Alex Smith does not have an elite arm, but does have an elite brain (40 wonderlic). If I had to guess, I'd say Reid is tired of all the turnovers he got with Vick, and will run an offense like Gruden and Callahan did with Rich Gannon, and we will throw it a LOT more than you guys think. I'm not saying it's going to be successful, just arguing that we will not play not-to-lose crap.

This was debunked a while back:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9425271)
Yep.

Combined numbers for QB starts under Andy Reid NOT named Donovan McNabb:

38-44 record (.463)
55% completion percentage
112 TD's
94 INT's
70 QBR.

And those numbers are inflated due to Vick, who was a #1 overall pick.

splatbass 03-23-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9523896)
75 percent chance we see Keg's scenario.

25 percent chance Alex Smith is worse than Cassel and we LOL so hard.

So there is no chance that he will be good?

You are a ****ing idiot.

Hammock Parties 03-23-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9523929)
Alex Smith does not have an elite arm, but does have an elite brain.

LMAO

ELITE BRAIN

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/elitebrain.gif

FringeNC 03-23-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9523937)
This was debunked a while back:

And what were those same QBs' ratings without Reid? That's what is relevant. I always thought Vick sucked and was stunned when Reid had him looking like a real NFL QB. Also, McNabb wasn't very good in DC and Minn.

splatbass 03-23-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

No, we didn't "basically" give up a 1st round pick. We gave up a high 2nd round pick. If you have to exaggerate to make your point then your point is BS.

Spott 03-23-2013 04:19 PM

I'm expecting him to be about like Kyle Orton, but without the facial hair.

FringeNC 03-23-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9523945)

The jihad against Alex Smith makes no sense. If he is as bad as you fear, you should be going after Reid and Dorsey.

jd1020 03-23-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 9523950)
No, we didn't "basically" give up a 1st round pick. We gave up a high 2nd round pick. If you have to exaggerate to make your point then your point is BS.

We gave up a high second round pick... a pick where you can still get 1st round talent.

jd1020 03-23-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 9523953)
The jihad against Alex Smith makes no sense. If he is as bad as you fear, you should be going after Reid and Dorsey.

No one is giving Reid or Dorsey a pass for that dumbass trade.

Rasputin 03-23-2013 04:20 PM

I think Alex Smith is going to break apart mid~season & in mid~air.

Someone should start an expectation thread for Chase Daniel.

I'd bet Chase can out play Alex Smith in preason but no competition to win the job.

FringeNC 03-23-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9523955)
No one is giving Reid or Dorsey a pass for that dumbass trade.

Seems to me that they are. If Alex Smith is as limited as you guys believe, then Reid and Dorsey are as clueless as Pioli and there is ZERO hope until they are shit-canned.