ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football SM West Class 6A State Champs! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267024)

Lex Luthor 11-24-2012 10:18 PM

SM West Class 6A State Champs!

Shawnee Mission West beat the Hutchinson Salthawks 14-9 today in Topeka. It was an exciting game, and it was a nice payback, since Hutchinson beat us the last time we made it to the title game in 2006. Hutchinson is a football powerhouse and they win the state title practically every freaking year, so it felt GREAT to beat them today.

I drove to Topeka and watched the game, as I have a son who is a senior at SMW. He doesn't play on the football team, but we know a lot of the kids who do, including the star running back Brett Sterbach.

Sterbach has played on my son's basketball team the last couple of years, and he's already on the roster to play again this year. I had no idea he'd turn into a guy who would rush for over 2,200 yards this year, including 273 yards today.

If there's any SMW football fans out there, you can watch the entire game online at http://kshsaa.playonsports.com/events/45965.

Rasputin 11-24-2012 10:22 PM

Do we need an official state championship thread? This couldn't have been put in the other 6A state champion thread? Attention whore?

PunkinDrublic 11-24-2012 10:22 PM

That's awesome to hear. When I graduated in the 90s West was ****ing terrible.

Braincase 11-24-2012 10:26 PM

Congrats!

PunkinDrublic 11-24-2012 10:29 PM

IIRC that might be the first one since 85.

Lex Luthor 11-24-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9147506)
Do we need an official state championship thread? This couldn't have been put in the other 6A state champion thread? Attention whore?

SM West deserved their own thread. If you don't like it, feel free not to click on it.

Mr. Kotter 11-24-2012 10:31 PM

Congrats, Brainiac. I can really relate. Our oldest child...a 16 yr old plays for the State Champion HS AA team in our state--as a Junior, he played a big role in their win over a cross-town rival who was also undefeated going into the state championship. Two 11-0 teams, end up in a close Championship game....but in the second half, our boys pulled away and won a 35-20 game that could have been worse. Lookin' forward to another great year next year, when he is a Senior (with lots of buddies coming back)...likely playin' both sides of the ball in what SHOULD be another run-up to the championship.

Lex Luthor 11-24-2012 10:35 PM

High school football is a lot of fun on Friday nights. You personally know a lot of the players, and you know a lot of the parents in the stands. It's like a reunion every Friday night with all of the parents you got to know ever since your kids were in kindergarten.

At $7 a ticket, it's a helluva lot better value than NFL tickets.

Shogun 11-24-2012 10:37 PM

Randy Dreiling and the guys at Hutch High had a great year, congrats to SMW. Can't win em all.

Rasputin 11-24-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9147532)
SM West deserved their own thread. If you don't like it, feel free not to click on it.

Congratulations, if you feel that strongly about it cool for you. :thumb:

Lex Luthor 11-24-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9147558)
Randy Dreiling and the guys at Hutch High had a great year, congrats to SMW. Can't win em all.

Dreiling is a helluva coach. I read recently that Hutchinson had lost 26 games in a row before he was hired in the late 1990s. Now they have a dynasty, with 7 state championships in the last 9 years. That's pretty amazing.

PunkinDrublic 11-24-2012 10:51 PM

I remember back in the day it used to piss everybody off when Lawrence would win state every year because they had twice the enrollment of everybody else.

Shogun 11-24-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9147574)
Dreiling is a helluva coach. I read recently that Hutchinson had lost 26 games in a row before he was hired in the late 1990s. Now they have a dynasty, with 7 state championships in the last 9 years. That's pretty amazing.

I had the pleasure of witnessing 4. I know how garbage it was in the 90s from old video lol

Lex Luthor 11-24-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 9147596)
I remember back in the day it used to piss everybody off when Lawrence would win state every year because they had twice the enrollment of everybody else.

That's why Hutch's record is pretty impressive, because that's certainly not the case with them. In fact, before moving back up to 6A this year, they spent the last 4 years in 5A because their enrollment was less than the 6A schools. I figured it was good news for 6A when we lost Hutch for a while.

PunkinDrublic 11-24-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9147574)

My senior year West won maybe 2 games.