ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Pollard: The way the NFL's heading, there's going to be a death on the field. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269374)

tk13 01-27-2013 02:45 PM

Pollard: The way the NFL's heading, there's going to be a death on the field.

Quote:

Ravens' Pollard: NFL really does stand for Not For Long
By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist

There are few surer tacklers or harder hitters in the NFL than Baltimore safety Bernard Pollard. So when I consulted him on where the game is going, I wanted his take on what the league might look like in, say, 10 to 15 years.

Not surprisingly, he said it would continue to be played and watched by millions. But it's what he said afterward that I didn't expect.

"Thirty years from now," he said, "I don't think it will be in existence. I could be wrong. It's just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going -- where they [NFL rules makers] want to lighten up, and they're throwing flags and everything else -- there's going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it.

"Guys are getting fined, and they're talking about, 'Let's take away the strike zone' and 'Take the pads off' or 'Take the helmets off.' It's going to be a thing where fans aren't going to want to watch it anymore."

As Pollard said, that's his opinion. But it's also his opinion that, no matter what the NFL tries to legislate, it could be headed for trouble. Let him explain.

"The league is trying to move in the right direction [with player safety]," he said, "but, at the same time, [coaches] want bigger, stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you're going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees. The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field. We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks.

"Like I said, I pray it never happens, but you've got guys who are 350 pounds running 4.5 and 4.4s, and these owners and coaches want scout-run blockers and linemen to move walls. At the same time, they tell you, 'Don't hit here, and don't hit there, or we'll take your money.' Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I just believe one day there's going to be a death that takes place on the field because of the direction we're going."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/cl...r-not-for-long

Easy 6 01-27-2013 02:55 PM

He's right, its really just a matter of time.

htismaqe 01-27-2013 03:04 PM

"There are few surer tacklers or harder hitters in the NFL than Baltimore safety Bernard Pollard."

Wow. Just wow.

Hammock Parties 01-27-2013 03:04 PM

i hope it's pollard on brady again

OnTheWarpath15 01-27-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9355484)
i hope it's pollard on brady again

Did you get my PM?

And if so, any luck?

Fishpicker 01-27-2013 03:06 PM

didnt Dick Butkus already kill a player on the field? I could see it happening again.

Bump 01-27-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9355483)
"There are few surer tacklers or harder hitters in the NFL than Baltimore safety Bernard Pollard."

Wow. Just wow.

I hear he's a better player now than he was with us

BlackHelicopters 01-27-2013 03:10 PM

Jovan Belcher disagrees that it will happen on the field.

Thig Lyfe 01-27-2013 03:16 PM

Whoa wait where are these 350 pounders running 4.4 40s? We should draft those guys!!!

Hammock Parties 01-27-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9355492)
Did you get my PM?

And if so, any luck?

Busy but will see what I can do.

Third Eye 01-27-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9355497)

No, he's always been a great hitter, and now he's in a position where that's basically all he has to do. Still not a cover guy.

OnTheWarpath15 01-27-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9355521)
Busy but will see what I can do.

Thanks.

htismaqe 01-27-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9355497)

Yeah, that statement is just baffling on more than 1 level. That's why I worded it like that.

Either he's getting the benefit of the doubt because he's a Raven or we gave away an ascending player for nothing.

-King- 01-27-2013 03:32 PM

Kind of like the Johnny Knox hit. I can't believe he wasn't at the very least paralyzed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wSPlOrjBdbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King- 01-27-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9355545)
Yeah, that statement is just baffling on more than 1 level. That's why I worded it like that.

Either he's getting the benefit of the doubt because he's a Raven or we gave away an ascending player for nothing.

He literally has to do nothing other than hit. Ed Reed does all the covering from the safety position.