ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football What goes into a Pro coach/GM interview? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267507)

displacedinMN 12-09-2012 03:34 PM

What goes into a Pro coach/GM interview?

Trying to be somewhat serious here.

How does someone conduct an interview for a coach/gm. Everyone one knows your record and qualifications.

(CH should already know if the candidates were part of the NE or CLE organizations)

Are the questions about what you want for the future, plans, philosophy of coaching, leadership?

We have all been through interviews, but I don't think anything like this.

notorious 12-09-2012 03:35 PM

First, you latch yourself onto a 6th round QB and HOF coach.

After that, franchises will seek YOU out.

Phobia 12-09-2012 03:38 PM

1. Are you going to bench the guy we paid $63,000,000 if he ever messes his pants?

No? Okay, when can you start?

BlackHelicopters 12-09-2012 03:46 PM

Is there any way you can live our franchise in worse shape when you leave than when you started?

GloryDayz 12-09-2012 03:57 PM

This will be a fun thread...

GloryDayz 12-09-2012 04:00 PM

Q: Will you sacrifice wins to mine my money-grubbing pockets so I hang in Fiji and do whores 24x7?

A: Yes.....with a vengeance... And I clean stairwells too...

Q: Can you start Monday?

chiefzilla1501 12-09-2012 04:01 PM

It's a good question. Sadly, too many GMs, I think, focus on how smart you are or how good of an offense/defense you run. They don't focus on leadership.

Otherwise guys like Romeo and Ron Rivera and Rex Ryan would never have been hired while guys like Mike McCarthy were passed up for years.

DeezNutz 12-09-2012 04:02 PM

Fellatio and blood.

bevischief 12-09-2012 04:03 PM

Do you give head on the first date?

cyborgtable 12-09-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9193536)
It's a good question. Sadly, too many GMs, I think, focus on how smart you are or how good of an offense/defense you run. They don't focus on leadership.

Otherwise guys like Romeo and Ron Rivera and Rex Ryan would never have been hired while guys like Mike McCarthy were passed up for years.

Sadly, Tannenbaum hired Rex due to his team building, which just goes to show that being a good con man helps too

chiefzilla1501 12-09-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9193548)
Sadly, Tannenbaum hired Rex due to his team building, which just goes to show that being a good con man helps too

The problem is that people think toughness is the same as discipline, accountability, and structure. Just like people who thought Gun's yelling and screaming gets people motivated.

cyborgtable 12-09-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9193557)
The problem is that people think toughness is the same as discipline, accountability, and structure. Just like people who thought Gun's yelling and screaming gets people motivated.

Rex isn't even tough on the players, he's a softy. When we traded for Braylon Edwards the players told him "if you a balla you aint gotta work." I agree with you though, discipline and accountability are far more important that apparent "toughness"

chiefzilla1501 12-09-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborgtable (Post 9193570)
Rex isn't even tough on the players, he's a softy. When we traded for Braylon Edwards the players told him "if you a balla you aint gotta work." I agree with you though, discipline and accountability are far more important that apparent "toughness"

Yup. And I never thought Sanchez was ever motivated to work as hard or lead in the way that could have made him great. But honestly, these are things that shouldn't have been hard to figure out with the right interview questions or by talking to the gajillion people who've ever worked with Ryan in the past.

cyborgtable 12-09-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9193588)
Yup. And I never thought Sanchez was ever motivated to work as hard or lead in the way that could have made him great. But honestly, these are things that shouldn't have been hard to figure out with the right interview questions or by talking to the gajillion people who've ever worked with Ryan in the past.

Yup, I think our owner wanting headlines was a big part of getting Ryan in, knew he had the big mouth and would gather headlines