ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240682)

Frazod 01-13-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8291534)
The guy I'm buying it from is also an Eotech dealer, so he can get me a slick-ass holo-sight for about 60% of list. It's going to be a tactical setup, so for the kind of playing I'll be doing with it, not to mention the racoon hunting, etc... that I'd do with it, the quick-find holographic sight seems like the way to go. I really enjoy the 2-eye firing and ability to immediately acquire a target vs. the scope style ACOGs, etc...

Then of course I'll need my zombie-killer dust cover.

60% off would be a steal. Can't pass up on that. But having fired both, IMO the ACOG is the way to go.

notorious 01-13-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8291652)
60% off would be a steal. Can't pass up on that. But having fired both, IMO the ACOG is the way to go.

Damn Daddy Bigbucks. :D

Frazod 01-13-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8291665)
Damn Daddy Bigbucks. :D

I don't OWN both - just the ACOG. My buddy has an EOTech.

notorious 01-13-2012 02:24 PM

Here's my recent trade.

RockRiver M4 (I wish if was a real M4 ;))

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3605/0113141546.jpg

I traded part of a wood floor refinish for it. Previous owner: SWAT team member.

Thing has never jammed and I have already ran at least 500 rounds.

notorious 01-13-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8291668)
I don't OWN both - just the ACOG. My buddy has an EOTech.

I had to give you a hard time. You remind me of my Dad in which the best is the only option.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8291691)
Here's my recent trade.

RockRiver M4 (I wish if was a real M4 ;))

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3605/0113141546.jpg

I traded part of a wood floor refinish for it. Previous owner: SWAT team member.

Thing has never jammed and I have already ran at least 500 rounds.

So it has the 14.5 barrel? I presume it doesn't have the select-fire (hence the 'I wish it was real' quip).

Did you have to register it as a short-barrel rifle? I hear that's kindof a pain in the butt, so I didn't even look at them.

Still looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8291652)

40% off (60% of list).

I haven't ever actually shot with an ACOG, I just didn't feel like having a scoped sight on it. If I want to use I scope, I'll just grab the 7 mm.

Next stop - Beretta 96A1; still my favorite handgun to shoot. I know they're cliched, but I just love the feel of those guys.

notorious 01-13-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8291721)
So it has the 14.5 barrel? I presume it doesn't have the select-fire (hence the 'I wish it was real' quip).

Did you have to register it as a short-barrel rifle? I hear that's kindof a pain in the butt, so I didn't even look at them.

Still looks like a lot of fun to shoot.

Nah, it's 16", so no paperwork was needed. It is a shitload of fun to shoot. The iron sites take a little getting used to since my eyes are sitting much closer to the back site which results in a little more guesswork.

Once I nailed that down it is very easy to knock down bowling pins from 100 yards out at a fairly quick firing rate. It's not as efficient as using my dad's AR with an EoTech, but I can still give it a run for it's money.

I never thought I would want a shorter barrel AR, but I am very happy I fell into this trade.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8291748)
Nah, it's 16", so no paperwork was needed. It is a shitload of fun to shoot. The iron sites take a little getting used to since my eyes are sitting much closer to the back site which results in a little more guesswork.

Once I nailed that down it is very easy to knock down bowling pins from 100 yards out at a fairly quick firing rate. It's not as efficient as using my dad's AR with an EoTech, but I can still give it a run for it's money.

I never thought I would want a shorter barrel AR, but I am very happy I fell into this trade.

Well hell - if it's a 16 inch barrel, you essentially have an AR. The true distinction between an AR and an M4 is that the M4 is select-fire and has a 14.5 inch barrel.

Otherwise, if its a civilian rifle built on an M-16 platform, it's an AR. If you slap a 20 inch barrel on it, I'd simply call it a 'target' AR. The 20 inch barrels are more of an exception rather than the rule, in my experience.

What you've got there is an AR-15.

notorious 01-13-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8291771)
Well hell - if it's a 16 inch barrel, you essentially have an AR. The true distinction between an AR and an M4 is that the M4 is select-fire and has a 14.5 inch barrel.

Otherwise, if its a civilian rifle built on an M-16 platform, it's an AR. If you slap a 20 inch barrel on it, I'd simply call it a 'target' AR. The 20 inch barrels are more of an exception rather than the rule, in my experience.

What you've got there is an AR-15.

Exactly.

I had a small discussion with my customer on that point. This rifle basically has an M4 upper, which he said was built to handle full auto fire reliably.

notorious 01-13-2012 02:46 PM

That's just going by what he said. It's an AR15 in my eyes.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8291802)
That's just going by what he said. It's an AR15 in my eyes.

Kinda sounds like that dude's talking out of his ass.

Unless the upper actually has a 3-stage switch that gives you a full-auto mode at the up position, it's just an AR upper. Besides, an upper is an upper; steel is steel.

I mean I guess I could be talking out of my ass here, but as near as I can tell, there's absolutely no distinction between the upper receiver on an AR and an M4.

Still a badass gun and I guess a SWAT dude would know more than me, but if there's really some high-strength steel on an M4, that would be the first I've heard of it.

notorious 01-13-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8291859)
Kinda sounds like that dude's talking out of his ass.

Unless the upper actually has a 3-stage switch that gives you a full-auto mode at the up position, it's just an AR upper. Besides, an upper is an upper; steel is steel.

I mean I guess I could be talking out of my ass here, but as near as I can tell, there's absolutely no distinction between the upper receiver on an AR and an M4.

Still a badass gun and I guess a SWAT dude would know more than me, but if there's really some high-strength steel on an M4, that would be the first I've heard of it.

He said something about it having a larger throat/feeder for the round into the barrel.

Rock River calls the an M4 for some reason;

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534532

verbaljitsu 01-13-2012 03:08 PM

(in addition to select fire capability) M4's also have adjustable stocks, different feed ramps, and a carbine length gas system. The barrel also has a cutout for M203 grenade launchers.

People often refer to civilian legal m4 looking rifles as M4geries. They typically have M4 feed ramps, detachable carry handles, carbine length gas systems, 14.5" barrels with pinned on flash suppressors to make the barrel the legal 16", m203 cutouts, and collapsible stocks. In short, the Colt 6920.

LiveSteam 01-13-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verbaljitsu (Post 8291913)
(in addition to select fire capability) M4's also have adjustable stocks, different feed ramps, and a carbine length gas system. The barrel also has a cutout for M203 grenade launchers.

People often refer to civilian legal m4 looking rifles as M4geries. They typically have M4 feed ramps, detachable carry handles, carbine length gas systems, 14.5" barrels with pinned on flash suppressors to make the barrel the legal 16", m203 cutouts, and collapsible stocks. In short, the Colt 6920.

Colt 6920 :thumb: