ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Advice on Highway Travel in Arizona (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269178)

DrRyan 01-22-2013 12:20 PM

When you are coming down from Flagstaff to Phoenix make a day of it and drive the much more scenic route of the 89A through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott. The 89A is a really awesome drive.

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9341273)
Do yourself a favor when driving to Farmington. DON'T go from Wichita Falls to Amarillo and take I-40 across to Albuquerque. Instead, go to Amarillo and head north to Dumas, then Clayton, Springer, Taos, Tierra Amarilla, Chama, Dulce, and Farmington.

A friend of mine from Farmington says the drive from WF is 11 hours, safe to say the northern route is quite a bit more?

loochy 01-22-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9341371)
A friend of mine from Farmington says the drive from WF is 11 hours, safe to say the northern route is quite a bit more?

from WF to Taos is 10 hours with only 1 stop in Amarillo for gas, food, and pee. Taos to Farmington is another 3. The northern drive is full of large mountains, tall trees, and canyons. The southern drive is more desert-like.

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 9341366)
When you are coming down from Flagstaff to Phoenix make a day of it and drive the much more scenic route of the 89A through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott. The 89A is a really awesome drive.

your moms a really awesome drive

loochy 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341407)
your moms a really awesome drive

it reminds me of this for some reason:

http://www.billfrymire.com/gallery/w...in-vehicle.jpg

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 12:43 PM

If it were just me, I probably would make time for the finer scenery in New Mexico, but, on our first day, with restless kids in the car, I'm just looking to make time and get as close to AZ as possible. I've heard that part of NM is stunning though, and we need to get up there some time.

cosmo20002 01-22-2013 12:46 PM

I heard they have some primo meth in New Mexico. Just ask for Heisenberg's "Blue."

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 12:52 PM

While In New Mexico, should I make time for the Chaco Culture Park?

patteeu 01-22-2013 01:07 PM

Mesa Verde National Park isn't far from Four Corners and it's got some really cool Anasazi (Pueblo) cliff dwellings you can tour.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...liffPalace.jpg

Rain Man 01-22-2013 01:12 PM

You won't regret a Monument Valley drive. I can't imagine a better drive in America.

I remember stopping at a McDonald's in Tuba City when I went through about ten years ago. I don't remember if they had hotels there, but it wasn't a real happenin' place.

If you can make it to the Grand Canyon, you should just do that. Stay in the hotel that's right on the rim and then you'll have a full day there once you get up in the morning. The hotel's not fancy and I think it's a bit expensive, but you're a two-minute walk to the most spectacular view you'll ever see.

2bikemike 01-22-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 9341366)

I second this. While it Sedona you can take a "Pink Jeep" Tour, But if you do make sure you do the one where you do a little rock crawling. I am not sure how its set up as I have never done one but I did go to all the places they did with my FJ. I think they also have a tame tour just cruising around town or something.

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 9341682)
I second this. While it Sedona you can take a "Pink Jeep" Tour, But if you do make sure you do the one where you do a little rock crawling. I am not sure how its set up as I have never done one but I did go to all the places they did with my FJ. I think they also have a tame tour just cruising around town or something.

Just priced the Pink Jeep Tours.....woof!

2bikemike 01-23-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9342265)
Just priced the Pink Jeep Tours.....woof!

That much huh? I never looked them up, It just looked like it might be fun for a family. I bring my own truck and can go anywhere they go.

Sedona is a beautiful place to see. If you like to hike there is some good hiking. Or you can just kick back and enjoy the views. Its just a couple hour ride IIRC from Surprise. You could cruise down to Surprise through Sedona and Jerome for a bit of sight seeing.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 01-23-2013 01:05 AM

Stay in Flagstaff. The canyon isn't that far and you can take in Route 66, trains and more. Flagstaff to Phoenix is a very quick drive. Stop in Sedona and get lunch at Oak Creek and their brewery. Good beers.

Forgot, you need to stop at Metor Crater and the petrified forest

Where are you staying in Phx?

Straight, No Chaser 01-23-2013 01:21 AM

Your missing some cool places with that itinerary but you can't see it all. Why Monument Valley? I prefer Canyon DeChelly (pronounced Dee-Shay). Met a code-talker there once who explained how he was made to remain "silent" on what he'd done for 20 years, mostly treated like 2nd class citizen since...

Flag is a good base, mountain town, still cold then but several outstanding day trips possible in any direction, even G.C. park (a long day though). Closer yet is Williams where you can take the train to G.C. village, get off for a while, and back (for tourists --sorry but I think that's you). Closer yet is Tusayan, just outside the parks entrance. Average time/visitor at south rim is like 2 hours... most are heading to Vegas. A shame to travel all that way to look down and say Wow. It's probably too late to get a room within the park but it would be worth it, especially El Tovar; Maswick a close second. If you have just one point to visit... it would probably be Desert View and you could do that coming down of 89 as it is the east end.