ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football More on Cutler: "Spurned"...ROTFL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203390)

Mecca 03-01-2009 07:44 AM

The odds are pretty good that any player will bust...

And who's the elite defensive player? This isn't exactly a great defensive class.

the Talking Can 03-01-2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5542255)
I'm not accusing them of acting in bad faith, I'm accusing them of having poor judgment and being too focused on quick returns. Every Parcells team does this. Look at what he did in Dallas, with the Jets, and last year with Miami. First order of business is to get a vet QB that you know. There's no doubt that Matt Cassel will be a better NFL QB than either of those two next year. But it becomes significantly more difficult to argue that, especially with their skill sets, thereafter.

You can pretty easily assimilate parts of a 3-4 through one offseason. Look at what the Dolphins did last year, or the Cowboys before them--trade some mid-low round picks for guys you are familiar with, and sign a number of 3rd tier FAs.

It's not like this is trying to harness chaos theory. There's a pretty clear blueprint of what guys from this tree do, and so far, Pioli is acting exactly according to plan.

they may in fact have poor judgment

a separate issue, and one i disagree with, is that they're focused on quick returns...

Cassel is not a veteran QB, and is not similar to Pennington...at all...Pennington was safe aged game manager, Collins was a safe aged game manager, Cassel is a young unproven risk

Messier 03-01-2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5542268)
The odds are pretty good that any player will bust...

And who's the elite defensive player? This isn't exactly a great defensive class.

There really isn't one. I hope they can trade down in the first.

Mecca 03-01-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 5542272)
There really isn't one. I hope they can trade down in the first.

Unless you want a QB or an OT the top 5 isn't really a nice place to be sitting this year.

rad 03-01-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5542214)
Round 1: Mark Sanchez
Round 3: Nate Davis
Round 4: Rhett Bomar

What do you think?

Maybe we can sign a veteran like Jeff Garcia to mentor these guys?

One of them are bound to hit, right?

What about that Josh Freeman or whatever his name is? Where is hee projected?

Mecca 03-01-2009 07:55 AM

Josh Freeman is probably really pumped his worst possible scenario is improving all 3 QB's are gone by 19 now.

Messier 03-01-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5542275)
Unless you want a QB or an OT the top 5 isn't really a nice place to be sitting this year.

I wouldn't be upset with Curry, although I would rather get a pass rusher later in the first and get another pick.

Mecca 03-01-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 5542282)
I wouldn't be upset with Curry, although I would rather get a pass rusher later in the first and get another pick.

I just don't really see how Curry fits into a 3-4 very well, I don't think he'd suck but I don't think he could ever justify 3 and the pass rushers this year make me cringe.

rad 03-01-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5542255)
I'm not accusing them of acting in bad faith, I'm accusing them of having poor judgment and being too focused on quick returns. Every Parcells team does this. Look at what he did in Dallas, with the Jets, and last year with Miami. First order of business is to get a vet QB that you know. There's no doubt that Matt Cassel will be a better NFL QB than either of those two next year. But it becomes significantly more difficult to argue that, especially with their skill sets, thereafter.

You can pretty easily assimilate parts of a 3-4 through one offseason. Look at what the Dolphins did last year, or the Cowboys before them--trade some mid-low round picks for guys you are familiar with, and sign a number of 3rd tier FAs.

It's not like this is trying to harness chaos theory. There's a pretty clear blueprint of what guys from this tree do, and so far, Pioli is acting exactly according to plan.

1. Pioli attends combine

2. Pioli watches Sanchez workout after presumably watching all his games.

3. Pioli comes home and trades for Cassell.

Is it possible Pioli saw something in Sanchez he didn't like?

Messier 03-01-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5542283)
I just don't really see how Curry fits into a 3-4 very well, I don't think he'd suck but I don't think he could ever justify 3 and the pass rushers this year make me cringe.

This will probably be one of those years where the best pass rusher in the draft is 4th or 5th rounder that no one saw coming.

Mecca 03-01-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rad (Post 5542291)
1. Pioli attends combine

2. Pioli watches Sanchez workout after presumably watching all his games.

3. Pioli comes home and trades for Cassell.

Is it possible Pioli saw something in Sanchez he didn't like?

I'm going to go with probably not since Stafford hasn't worked out yet and if they were going on that logic they'd want to see both QB's I'm sure.

Iowanian 03-01-2009 08:29 AM

Phillip Rivers is a prick. Maybe HE'll be nice enough to call Cutler and rub some dirt in it.

This is almost as fun for me as anything the Chiefs have done so far. Its kind of like when a bomb maker accidently blows up his own AQ camp.

tmax63 03-01-2009 08:44 AM

Not to argue Mecca but I see Pioli saying Thiggy is a work in progress and at best a backup. I also see him grading out Stafford and saying he is off the board before #3. That sets up the logic of seeing something in Sanchez that causes him to fall below Cassel as an option. And getting a defensive player with whom he is familiar with, who can coach on the field and is an upgrade to the lb corps of the Chiefs was just icing on the cake. I don't claim to know why pioli did what he did, I just see a logic to it.

cdcox 03-01-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5542280)
Josh Freeman is probably really pumped his worst possible scenario is improving all 3 QB's are gone by 19 now.

If someone drafts Josh Freeman in the first round, they are basically saying Josh Freeman has more up side than Cassel. That shows you what the general opinion of Cassel is in the NFL. I hope we don't give him a ridiculous contract.

Mecca 03-01-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5542387)
If someone drafts Josh Freeman in the first round, they are basically saying Josh Freeman has more up side than Cassel. That shows you what the general opinion of Cassel is in the NFL. I hope we don't give him a ridiculous contract.

I have a really hard time seeing these QB's falling past both the Jets and Bucs.