ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life The Flopnuts Fatties Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262790)

Braincase 10-10-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9000301)
How do I make my neck bigger?

Collagen injections.

lewdog 10-10-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9000301)
How do I make my neck bigger?

Heavy deadlifts will build your traps which will make your neck appear bigger. But nothing you can really do for your "neck" specifically. And people that attach weights with a head harness and do neck exercises are asking for it. That is plain reeruned and never needs to be done.

The Franchise 10-11-2012 09:29 AM

I'm down to 239. Down 14 lbs.

Aspengc8 10-11-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9000455)
Heavy deadlifts will build your traps which will make your neck appear bigger. But nothing you can really do for your "neck" specifically. And people that attach weights with a head harness and do neck exercises are asking for it. That is plain reeruned and never needs to be done.

Neck harness or 4-way neck machine if you dont want your neck to look like a stack of dimes. EVERY football strength program includes either neck harness work or 4-way machine.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=1941

Deadlifts alone will add a little meat to your traps once you get up around 400-500 for reps, but you do need some accessory work like high pulls, shrugs & face pulls if your really focusing on building traps/yoke that stick out through your t-shirt.

NewChief 10-11-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9001442)
Neck harness or 4-way neck machine if you dont want your neck to look like a stack of dimes. EVERY football strength program includes either neck harness work or 4-way machine.

Deadlifts alone will add a little meat to your traps once you get up around 400-500 for reps, but you do need some accessory work like high pulls, shrugs & face pulls if your really focusing on building traps/yoke that stick out through your t-shirt.

Out of curiosity:

I recognize that the dude in that picture is insanely strong and could whip my ass all over creation. That being said: do people actually WANT to look like that? I suppose it beats just being fat and out of shape... but that huge, bulky look, while powerful, doesn't exactly look "in shape" to me.

Of course, I'm naturally lean as hell, so if I were naturally bulky, I might be more inclined to try to build that body type.

Frosty 10-11-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9001668)
Out of curiosity:

I recognize that the dude in that picture is insanely strong and could whip my ass all over creation. That being said: do people actually WANT to look like that? I suppose it beats just being fat and out of shape... but that huge, bulky look, while powerful, doesn't exactly look "in shape" to me.

Of course, I'm naturally lean as hell, so if I were naturally bulky, I might be more inclined to try to build that body type.

Not me. I would love to look like one of the guys on Ninja Warrior (lean and cut) and have no interest in being bulky.

Besides, there is some evidence that carrying extra weight, even muscle, taxes the system and can shorten your life.

Saul Good 10-11-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9001689)
Not me. I would love to look like one of the guys on Ninja Warrior (lean and cut) and have no interest in being bulky.

Besides, there is some evidence that carrying extra weight, even muscle, taxes the system and can shorten your life.

There's more than just some evidence. Your organs have to keep up with all of that bulk.

Frosty 10-11-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Too (Post 9001706)
There's more than just some evidence. Your organs have to keep up with all of that bulk.

I know. People just don't like to hear it so I was trying the soft approach. :)

Aspengc8 10-11-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9001668)
Out of curiosity:

Their goal is to move big weights in meets. Your not moving a ton of weight weighing less than 250.

What is the definition of "in shape"? Those guys push sleds with hundreds of pounds on them, and are in better cardiovascular shape than most on this site. Yeah they hold extra body fat & weight because they need it for powerlifting.

Check out the owner of that site, Dave Tate. He was a 300lb+ strong and bulky. Cleaned his diet up and ended up around 250 lean (10% bf). I guess to answer your question, yes, those guys want and need to be bulky.

lewdog 10-11-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9001442)

That seems like 80's football training programs. I don't know a ton that still use next harnesses or the neck machine. You are at a mechanical disadvantage to really use significant weight for anything "neck" related and I don't see those adding significant mass to your actual neck. But to each his own.

Cleans/snatches, deads, high pulls, shrugs and face pulls are enough to build the traps.

lewdog 10-11-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9001841)

Check out the owner of that site, Dave Tate. He was a 300lb+ strong and bulky. Cleaned his diet up and ended up around 250 lean (10% bf). I guess to answer your question, yes, those guys want and need to be bulky.

Dave Tate was and still is the shit! Always a good read when he posts stuff.

Aspengc8 10-11-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9002911)
Dave Tate was and still is the shit! Always a good read when he posts stuff.

All the articles are good over there. Im a huge wendler fan and been on his 5/3/1 for a while. We used 4 way neck in hs and college.. Not heavy just lots of reps. Its good for injury prevention and wendler swears bye it. When you see football plays with thick necks its from that machine or harness, not cleans and shrugs my friend (although they are great for traps).

lewdog 10-11-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9003322)
All the articles are good over there. Im a huge wendler fan and been on his 5/3/1 for a while. We used 4 way neck in hs and college.. Not heavy just lots of reps. Its good for injury prevention and wendler swears bye it.

Not to clog up the Fatties thread, but I love Wendler too. I have been using the 5/3/1 principles for the better part of a year. Nothing better than a simple progress for a stronger bench, squat, dead and MP.

Based on what you post you are a hell of a strong dude (much stronger than me!) if I remember correctly, but his principles of 5/3/1 can be used from beginners to even some advanced guys who can tweak the assistance work to meet their needs.

Marcellus 10-11-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9003322)
All the articles are good over there. Im a huge wendler fan and been on his 5/3/1 for a while. We used 4 way neck in hs and college.. Not heavy just lots of reps. Its good for injury prevention and wendler swears bye it. When you see football plays with thick necks its from that machine or harness, not cleans and shrugs my friend (although they are great for traps).

Thats great but unless you are playing football or rugby there is no reason to have a huge neck. Makes you look like a neanderthal walking around in your work clothes.

Buck 10-11-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9003436)
Thats great but unless you are playing football or rugby there is no reason to have a huge neck. Makes you look like a neanderthal walking around in your work clothes.

Or when you have a large frame, and you have a size 15 neck, it looks puny.