ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King coaching candidates for 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267068)

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-26-2012 09:03 AM

Peter King coaching candidates for 2013

5. I think these sound like the top five college coaching candidates for NFL head coaching jobs, per chats with front office people in the last two weeks (in order):

1. Chip Kelly, Oregon
2. David Shaw, Stanford
3. Brian Kelly, Notre Dame
4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa (even coming off the bad season at Iowa, he's well-respected in the NFL)
5. Doug Marrone, Syracuse.

I didn't include Bill O'Brien of Penn State because (and call me naïve) I can't see him preaching love of, and loyalty to, Penn State, and then leaving after 12 months. But never say never in this business.

6. I think these sound like the top 10 NFL assistants who will get sniffs for head coaching jobs in the league next year (in order):

1. Mike McCoy, Denver offensive coordinator
2. Mike Zimmer, Cincinnati defensive coordinator
3. Vic Fangio, San Francisco defensive coordinator
4. Perry Fewell, Giants defensive coordinator
5. Dirk Koetter, Atlanta offensive coordinator
6. Dave Toub, Chicago special teams coordinator
7. Bruce Arians, Indianapolis interim head coach/offensive coordinator
8. Ray Horton, Arizona defensive coordinator
9. Kyle Shanahan, Washington offensive coordinator
10. Clyde Christensen, Indianapolis quarterbacks coach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...-12/index.html

KurtCobain 11-26-2012 09:06 AM

I wouldn't touch any of the college guys.

CaliforniaChief 11-26-2012 09:08 AM

Ferentz? LMAO

CaliforniaChief 11-26-2012 09:08 AM

Gotta have Greg Roman on that list, too.

KurtCobain 11-26-2012 09:09 AM

As assistants go, I like fewell, fangio, and Horton. Don't think its the route we should go, however.

Deberg_1990 11-26-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9153261)
Ferentz? LMAO

If Pioli remains in KC, hes probably the only option on that list.

tredadda 11-26-2012 09:13 AM

No to anyone from the "tree". I want new fresh blood to coach this team.

Deberg_1990 11-26-2012 09:13 AM

McCoy and Fangio would be high on my list if i was running things.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9153261)
Ferentz? LMAO

He's got a ton of respect in NFL circles. What Joe Philbin (a former Ferentz assistant) is doing in Miami doesn't hurt.

That being said, as a Hawkeye fan and Chiefs fan, I don't want this guy in KC. He's too conservative for my taste.

BlackHelicopters 11-26-2012 09:23 AM

Peter King is smart.

Ace Gunner 11-26-2012 09:24 AM

no "Josh McD" ????? I guess he's already locked up here.

CaliforniaChief 11-26-2012 09:25 AM

Ferentz would make RAC look like an Arena coach.

Greg Schiano's success has made the hiring of a college coach more palatable.

I'd love Kelly (either one) or Shaw. I'd like McCoy or Roman.

Chiefs Pantalones 11-26-2012 09:28 AM

McCoy would be my top choice. I want an offensive guy that will bring in a top DC to take care of the defense.

siberian khatru 11-26-2012 09:32 AM

Interesting that Jay Gruden didn't make the cut.

notorious 11-26-2012 09:33 AM

:Lin:

Deberg_1990 11-26-2012 09:36 AM

No obligatory mention of Jon Gruden, Cowher or Billick?

-King- 11-26-2012 09:46 AM

Favorite candidate on those lists is David Shaw. Would bring a aggressive defense and much needed discipline to the team.

And oh yeah... he was Andrew Lucks OC. Would love to have him working with Geno or Barkley.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 11-26-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9153294)
Ferentz would make RAC look like an Arena coach.

Greg Schiano's success has made the hiring of a college coach more palatable.

I'd love Kelly (either one) or Shaw. I'd like McCoy or Roman.

That's BS on Ferentz. He's conservative (far too conservative) but he isn't historically-bad-offense conservative. Not even close to the suck that is Daboll and RAC. Not even close.

Reerun_KC 11-26-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9153259)

Lifetard Alert..

DJ's left nut 11-26-2012 09:52 AM

Damn.

Gus Bradley really isn't going to get much love this off-season is he? Maybe a playoff run will get him in there.

Bradley
Cowher
Brian Kelly
Perry Fewell
Ray Horton

Mile High Mania 11-26-2012 09:52 AM

Kyle Shanahan? Really?

Just stay away from Del Rio (not on the list), I think he's perfectly well suited to be a DC for his career (see Wade Phillips) and I'd like for them to maintain the same DC for a couple of seasons.

Go get Fangio... start from scratch, no retread names.

Mother****erJones 11-26-2012 09:57 AM

I go with Mike McCoy. Guy is a great offensive mind. He can adapt to any QB. He's working with one of the greatest QBs in Manning. He'd be great for our young QB

mcaj22 11-26-2012 10:08 AM

Ferentz and Pioli are like best buddies. Absolutely no to that piece of shit Browns tree connection.

no no no no no no noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Franchise 11-26-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9153330)
Favorite candidate on those lists is David Shaw. Would bring a aggressive defense and much needed discipline to the team.

And oh yeah... he was Andrew Lucks OC. Would love to have him working with Geno or Barkley.
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

And Brian Kelly isn't leaving Notre Dame.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9153341)
Kyle Shanahan? Really?

Just stay away from Del Rio (not on the list), I think he's perfectly well suited to be a DC for his career (see Wade Phillips) and I'd like for them to maintain the same DC for a couple of seasons.

Go get Fangio... start from scratch, no retread names.

Unfortunately for both of us (because I think he's a good DC and a poor HC), Del Rio is like the ideal candidate for the Chiefs job.

suds79 11-26-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Jim Harbaugh says hi.

It's not about where they come from. It depends on if that particular guy is good or not.

That's just like saying never draft a USC QB because others 10 years ago have failed. (when there's different players, different coaches, etc)

It just doesn't make sense.

the Talking Can 11-26-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9153330)

Posted via Mobile Device

i'm coming around on him, and he's got an nfl background:

Quote:

NFL coaching career

His coaching career began at Western Washington University in 1995. In 1997, Shaw began a nine-year run as an NFL assistant coach with stints for the Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders, and Baltimore Ravens.[2]

As the Raiders' quality control from 1998–2000 and quarterbacks coach in 2001, the team won two consecutive AFC West titles and completed a 10–6 regular season.[1]

Shaw was the quarterbacks coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002–2004 and wide receivers coach for the Ravens from 2002–2005, with the 2003 team finishing with a 10–6 regular season mark and winning the AFC North. In 2005, Shaw coached wide receivers Derrick Mason to a Ravens record of 86 receptions and 1,073 receiving yards (the third-highest Baltimore record) and Mark Clayton to a Ravens rookie record of 44 receptions for 471 yards.

Coogs 11-26-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9153378)
i'm coming around on him, and he's got an nfl background:

I think he is becomming my favorite choice right now. He should have some good connections to fill out a coaching staff that could/should be NFL caliber. Pretty intrigued with Shaw.

CaliforniaChief 11-26-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9153331)
That's BS on Ferentz. He's conservative (far too conservative) but he isn't historically-bad-offense conservative. Not even close to the suck that is Daboll and RAC. Not even close.

Do you remember the Ohio State game a few years ago where everything was on the line and we had a chance to win the game with a minute left in the 4th and the ball around our own 35?

Ferentz comes from the old school of football, and watching the Hawks this year has shown me that the game has passed him by.

We need a coach who will set new trends, go up-tempo, spread the field, and assault a defense.

Ferentz is a good guy. And I know you aren't advocating he be coach of the Chiefs...I don't even think he should coach the Hawks anymore.

CaliforniaChief 11-26-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9153366)
This.

And Brian Kelly isn't leaving Notre Dame.

Even if he wins the championship? I'm not saying you're wrong...just wondering.

Hypothetically, do you think he'd be a good NFL Head Coach?

bobbything 11-26-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9153269)

Stanzi to Moeaki. Green to Gonzalez ver 2.0.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9153398)
Do you remember the Ohio State game a few years ago where everything was on the line and we had a chance to win the game with a minute left in the 4th and the ball around our own 35?

I absolutely remember that. He did the same thing against Nebraska on Friday. Note that the QB in both of those situations was JAMES VANDENBERG. JV is not a good QB, at all.

Yes, Ferentz is ultra-conservative when it comes to things like punting on 4th down and kicking field goals. But unless the QB is absolute shit (like JV), his offenses are still capably of big plays in the PA passing game. Romeo and Daboll don't even ATTEMPT long passes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9153398)
Ferentz comes from the old school of football, and watching the Hawks this year has shown me that the game has passed him by.

We need a coach who will set new trends, go up-tempo, spread the field, and assault a defense.

Ferentz is a good guy. And I know you aren't advocating he be coach of the Chiefs...I don't even think he should coach the Hawks anymore.

I actually agree on all 3 points.

tk13 11-26-2012 10:30 AM

I like Shaw... I feel like too many people here will think he's too old school/run the ball/play defense. But he worked under Harbaugh and just outcoached Chip Kelly who is the hot name... so he's got that going for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coogs 11-26-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9153410)
I like Shaw... I feel like too many people here will think he's too old school/run the ball/play defense. But he worked under Harbaugh and just outcoached Chip Kelly who is the hot name... so he's got that going for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Beat Brian Kelly too... in everybody's eyes but the linejudge and the replay dude.

Chief_For_Life58 11-26-2012 10:33 AM

we dont want a coordinator we want a already badass headcoach. ill take a college coach if his last name is kelly. if we get frenchfry from iowa just kill me now

The Franchise 11-26-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9153399)
Even if he wins the championship? I'm not saying you're wrong...just wondering.

Hypothetically, do you think he'd be a good NFL Head Coach?

Even if he wins a Championship? Yeah....he's staying at ND. His contract is through 2016. I know it can be bought out...but I think he'll be back at least through Golson's development.

It's hard to say if he'd be a good HC in the NFL.

The Franchise 11-26-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9153416)
Beat Brian Kelly too... in everybody's eyes but the linejudge and the replay dude.

:rolleyes:

Coogs 11-26-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9153421)
:rolleyes:

I know. I know. It is what it is. :shrug:

mr. tegu 11-26-2012 10:39 AM

Peyton Manning is the offensive coordinator for Denver, not McCoy. Do not want.

Skyy God 11-26-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9153299)
Interesting that Jay Gruden didn't make the cut.

Jags, Rams, and Colts all wanted to interview him last year.

Mother****erJones 11-26-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9153434)
Peyton Manning is the offensive coordinator for Denver, not McCoy. Do not want.

He's still working and adapting to manning. He did a great job making an on the fly system for tebow

Ace Gunner 11-26-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9153410)
Posted via Mobile Device

He helped Andrew Luck during his senior season, also. here's a good video of David Shaw making his case for Luck's Heisman run;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OpHZ_m96Z5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Strongside 11-26-2012 11:22 AM

Really, no one likes Chip Kelly? Personally, I think he's going to do big things in the NFL. Put him with the right D-Coordinator and an offensive guy to implement his scheme...

suds79 11-26-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9153534)
Really, no one likes Chip Kelly? Personally, I think he's going to do big things in the NFL. Put him with the right D-Coordinator and an offensive guy to implement his scheme...

I like Chip Kelly. I think him paired with Geno Smith would score a lot of points.

I've seen enough of the spread to know it makes the QB and passing game easy. Even Pigpen :P looked decent at times running it under Chan.

ChiefsCountry 11-26-2012 11:45 AM

Ferentz would have been perfect coach for the 2010 Chiefs team with Weis running the offense and RAC the defense.

Coogs 11-26-2012 12:02 PM

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but King's ending Haiku...

Quote:

The Adieu Haiku
Colin Kaepernick.
Looks like I misjudged the lad.
Chiefs sound good, Alex?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2DLwTPUu2

htismaqe 11-26-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9153610)

Peter King can suck a dick!

mr. tegu 11-26-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9153496)
He's still working and adapting to manning. He did a great job making an on the fly system for tebow

If he would have turned Tebow into any type of effective passer I would have been impressed. Otherwise, anyone could have figured out the gimmick that they ran.

Titty Meat 11-26-2012 12:12 PM

LOL Kirk Ferentz. Now i'm sure someone will say I dislike him because he coaches at Iowa instead of arguing the actual point that this guy ****ing sucks. IIRC this past off season he literally ran players into the ground. Not only are his offenses pretty boring his clock management makes Herm Edwards look like Vince Lombardi.

Saccopoo 11-26-2012 12:18 PM

Brian Kelly has done fantastic things at both Cincy and ND. Guy can lead and motivate a football team that really has no business being as good as they are. And the only thing tying him to ND is his contract. I'd like him.

I'd also not mind David Shaw. He's done a terrific job this year.

We'd never be able to afford Chip Kelly. Nike isn't letting him go anytime soon.

Vic Fangio has done an amazing job in SF. I would just be hestitant to hire a defensive minded head coach in todays NFL.

htismaqe 11-26-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9153630)
LOL Kirk Ferentz. Now i'm sure someone will say I dislike him because he coaches at Iowa instead of arguing the actual point that this guy ****ing sucks. IIRC this past off season he literally ran players into the ground. Not only are his offenses pretty boring his clock management makes Herm Edwards look like Vince Lombardi.

You're criticisms are perfectly valid, if not a little hyperbolic - THAT comes form the face that you dislike him because he coaches at Iowa. :p

Hoover 11-26-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9153269)

This worries me.

I doubt Ferentz leaves Iowa. He's owed something like 20 million so they can't fire him. I do fear that he could be lured away, which is a total Pioli move.

I like Ferentz. But he's more of a GM than a HC IMO. He's only as good as his coordinators are. Just look at the Hawks this year. He's not the guy to turn things around in KC.

FringeNC 11-26-2012 01:32 PM

Kyle Shanahan (or has dad) has done a great job combining a college spread offense with a traditional West Coast offense. That may be the future direction of the NFL.

RealSNR 11-26-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9153610)

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2DLwTPUu2

I wish Alex Smith would die in a ****ing fire so dumb****s like King would stop saying we're going to sign him

MahiMike 11-26-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

I think we've tried the recycled NFL coordinator failing on the Peter Principle. Give me a successful head coach a lower level over them.

Hammock Parties 11-26-2012 01:50 PM

Zimmer...now.

Mother****erJones 11-26-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9153628)
If he would have turned Tebow into any type of effective passer I would have been impressed. Otherwise, anyone could have figured out the gimmick that they ran.

Well they went to the playoffs and won a game so think what you want. If anyone could've figured it out then why did they win a playoff game?

Mile High Mania 11-26-2012 02:00 PM

So are you guys convinced on the best way to proceed?

Hire a GM that hires the coaches? Or, go coach first - then the GM?

May be hard to do, but is there a model as to how the consistently competitive teams have done it over the last 10 years?

Sorter 11-26-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9153890)
Zimmer...now.

http://oi51.tinypic.com/6jin2u.jpg

mr. tegu 11-26-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9153904)
Well they went to the playoffs and won a game so think what you want. If anyone could've figured it out then why did they win a playoff game?

The point is that it wouldn't take a genious to develop a game plan in which Tebow runs the ball in the option. It worked with some mild success but is still a gimmick that can't last in the NFL. It isn't like they were scoring 30 a game. If he would have turned Tebow into a passer by whatever means (see Gailey and Thigpen) then you might have something. Just like Harbaugh is doing in SF. He is turning below average QBs into above average QBs and doing it quickly.

I am on the Chip Kelly wagon. A guy that just wants to score and then score some more and not worry about the defense sounds good to me. He will let the D-coordinator do their job and will concentrate on his.

RealSNR 11-26-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9153916)

May be hard to do, but is there a model as to how the consistently competitive teams have done it over the last 10 years?

Don't really care at this point. We should hire a GM and coach who don't ****ing suck. That's my opinion.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 02:56 PM

My list, as of today, is the following:

1. Bruce Arians
2. David Shaw
3. Vic Fangio

Arians has done an amazing job with a rookie QB and a roster that's been nearly completely turned over.

David Shaw hasn't missed a beat since Harbaugh left for San Francisco and has his team playing in the Pac-12 Championship game without Andrew Luck.

Vic Fangio is coordinating possibly the best defense in the NFL. And while the Chiefs don't have the equivalent inside backers to Ahmad Brooks and Patrick Willis, they have Hali, Houston and Johnson, not to mention Flowers, Poe and Berry. I have to think that he'd have the defense in the Top Five in no time.

I'd also like to believe that Fangio understands the importance of a Franchise QB, having spent enough time with Harbaugh, Luck, Smith and now Kaepernick to understand it's necessary to win consistently.

I would be very happy with any of those three as head coach of the 2013 Chiefs.

Sorter 11-26-2012 03:14 PM

^^Brooks is an OLB. Bowman plays inside.

Frankie 11-26-2012 03:16 PM

David Shaw.

He's doing just as well as (or better than) Harbaugh, WITHOUT ANDREW LUCK.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9154089)
^^Brooks is an OLB. Bowman plays inside.

Thanks. Going off of memory. Too many B's.

:D

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9154092)
David Shaw.

He's doing just as well as (or better than) Harbaugh, WITHOUT ANDREW LUCK.

That's hard to argue.

I'm sure he'll be a strong candidate in several cities, especially if Harbaugh get his team to the Super Bowl this year.

RealSNR 11-26-2012 03:20 PM

Shaw has also worked as an offensive quality control coach in the NFL. He clearly knows a thing or two about gameplanning in the pros.

Sorter 11-26-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154096)
Thanks. Going off of memory. Too many B's.

:D

We good bruh
http://i53.tinypic.com/24lpwes.jpg

1ChiefsDan 11-26-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9153922)
A guy that just wants to score and then score some more and not worry about the defense sounds good to me. He will let the D-coordinator do their job and will concentrate on his.

Vermiel says hi. :huh:

mr. tegu 11-26-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverdanchiefsfan (Post 9154138)

Well the problem then was not in philosophy but in the way the team was built. The defense was basically ignored for years. I am confident that we have enough players on both sides to be successful (assuming a new QB named Geno).

RealSNR 11-26-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverdanchiefsfan (Post 9154138)

Vermeil's problem was that he felt indebted to his coach and player friends. Overly loyal to a fault.

A coach like him could have made it work if he stepped back and said, "I have no ****ing clue what I'm doing when it comes to defense; I will try my best to find a defensive coach who knows his shit and what he needs exactly to make it work." You look at a guy like Mike McCarthy who could probably have tracked down some of his old buddies to coach his defense (which he kind of did when he got Bob Sanders) but then decided it wasn't working out. He got the team to hire Dom Capers, a man he had pretty much no connection to, other than he needed a good defensive coach and Capers was looking for a job.

If Vermeil had done that long ago and simply stepped away completely from that side of the ball, the defense never would have sucked as bad as it did. Yes, we still had a HUGE gap in talent, but if the new coach came in early in the process and said, "WTF are tards like Glenn Cadrez doing here? Get them out" we probably could have avoided the large headache.

King_Chief_Fan 11-26-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9153916)

well, with Pioli still here, you can't go coach first, who wants to work with him?
I am good with picking what appears to be the best coach first, hire the GM and let the coach and GM partner to fix this pig.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9154162)
Well the problem then was not in philosophy but in the way the team was built. The defense was basically ignored for years. I am confident that we have enough players on both sides to be successful (assuming a new QB named Geno).

The defense was not in any way, shape or form, ignored.

The Chiefs front office made terrible, horrific personnel decisions and constantly reached for players in the draft, overpaid free agents and made bad trades.

Sims, Freeman, Surtain, Kendrick Bell, Shawn Barber, William Bartee, Siavii, Downing and so on were all brought in to improve the defense, yet each and every player was a failure.

It was NOT for a lack of trying.

DeezNutz 11-26-2012 03:55 PM

Shaw seems pretty damn intriguing. No chance of getting the likes of this type of candidate with Pioli is place, though. Seems unlikely at the very least.

The Franchise 11-26-2012 04:00 PM

I wonder if Gamble wouldn't bring in Shaw at HC? It'd be like having his own Harbaugh to run his team.

RealSNR 11-26-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9154192)
I wonder if Gamble wouldn't bring in Shaw at HC? It'd be like having his own Harbaugh to run his team.

GM with a fantastic resume and draft record, who drafts Geno Smith and hires an offensive-minded head coach with loads of experience in coaching QBs.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/19...ell_ringer.gif

siberian khatru 11-26-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9154202)
GM with a fantastic resume and draft record, who drafts Geno Smith and hires an offensive-minded head coach with loads of experience in coaching QBs.

:drool:

Never happen, though.

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9154202)

Would MUCH rather an offensive coordinator with loads of experience coaching QBs, and a head coach willing to give his offensive coordinator autonomy and free reign to do that. I don't think many offensive head coaches will do that.

I would rather have Norv Turner and a defensive head coach than have, say, Jay Gruden be a head coach/OC. If you get a head coach who's willing to back off a little bit on scheme, then great.

BossChief 11-26-2012 04:33 PM

Cowher
Arians
McCoy
Shannahan

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 04:46 PM

Hire a good GM. Hire Norv Turner for OC and draft Geno Smith. Hire the best head coach willing to work with a strong-minded offensive coordinator like Norv Turner unless that guy is Chip Kelly, but I doubt he comes here.

David Shaw
Jay Gruden
Ray Horton
Gus Bradley
Chip Kelly (long shot)

I don't trust Cowher to not hire a crony like Chan Gailey. A big hell no to Arians.