ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Your expectations for Alex Smith? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270369)

Direckshun 02-24-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9435241)
Yeah, I went over the Green comparison in a different thread, before everyone lost their shit. I wasn't going to bother in the A. Smith thread - folks are a little irrational over there right now.

i will stab your mother with a tuning fork

tuning forks are sharp, right?

Hootie 02-24-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9435245)
I said it last week.
Hamas has said it at least twice tonight.
He wasn't good enough for another team. He shouldn't be good enough for us.

I agree to an extent but come on...

Kaepernick has HOF talent. Not every QB in the NFL, even elite, is going to go to the HOF.

It's not like they benched him to start Matt Moore.

They benched him after an 18-19 3 TD performance, a 7-8 1 TD performance because Kaepernick has more talent than any QB in the entire NFL (arguably).

So this argument is a little ridiculous.

Smed1065 02-24-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9434304)
If they trade for Alex Smith, they are screaming, "WIN NOW!" Anything less will be a failure.

This and That.

DJ's left nut 02-24-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9435245)
I said it last week.
Hamas has said it at least twice tonight.
He wasn't good enough for another team. He shouldn't be good enough for us.

The other team has Colin Kaepernick, we have Matt Cassel. At some point you have to play the cards dealt.

And if Geno were drafted by the 49ers, he'd unquestionably be their backup as well.

It's a shit argument. We should take Geno and failing to do so will be a mistake, but that doesn't make your argument any less shitty.

Hootie 02-24-2013 10:55 PM

if Alex Smith is their answer to our QB position he, at the very least, better be as good/efficient as our old friend Trent Green. Anything less is fail.

Hootie 02-24-2013 10:56 PM

I'd trade our next two entire drafts for Kaepernick. Where can I sign?

Sully 02-24-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9435252)
I agree to an extent but come on...

Kaepernick has HOF talent. Not every QB in the NFL, even elite, is going to go to the HOF.

It's not like they benched him to start Matt Moore.

They benched him after an 18-19 3 TD performance, a 7-8 1 TD performance because Kaepernick has more talent than any QB in the entire NFL (arguably).

So this argument is a little ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous at all.
Benching him for an unproven guy (no matter how confident you are about his talent and practices) was a huge risk. But Harbaugh made the decision that Smith simply wasn't good enough.
Of course, he was benched three other times, as well.

Discuss Thrower 02-24-2013 10:58 PM

My expectations are for a seven +/- two wins a year, a mid 20s draft pick and a first round playoff exit if they get there.

And the band played on..

Hootie 02-24-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 9435265)
It's not ridiculous at all.
Benching him for an unproven guy (no matter how confident you are about his talent and practices) was a huge risk. But Harbaugh made the decision that Smith simply wasn't good enough.
Of course, he was benched three other times, as well.

He made the decision because Colin Kaepernick has more ability than anyone in the entire NFL

O.city 02-24-2013 10:58 PM

If this is the route they go, they better hope like hell geno doesn't go to Oakland and wreck shit Aaron Rodgers style. Cause the dudes gonna have a chip on his shoulder and will come at us guns blazing

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-24-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9435257)
The other team has Colin Kaepernick, we have Matt Cassel. At some point you have to play the cards dealt.

And if Geno were drafted by the 49ers, he'd unquestionably be their backup as well.

It's a shit argument. We should take Geno and failing to do so will be a mistake, but that doesn't make your argument any less shitty.

Who was the last backup QB that another team traded for who even won a playoff game?

If the 49ers believed in Smith they never would have traded up to draft Kaepernick.

If the 49ers didn't believe in him, why should we?

It's not the 1980s. They didn't acquire Kaepernick as a cheap value pick then hold on to him for seven years as an insurance policy; they realized they couldn't win with Smith and got rid of him at the first opportunity presented.

Sully 02-24-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9435272)
He made the decision because Colin Kaepernick has more ability than anyone in the entire NFL

Ability
Not anything proven, but ability. In other words... potential.
The history of sports is littered with the names of athletes with more "ability than anyone," but the bottom line is, you don't sit a guy down for another guy with "ability" unless guy number one ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

DeezNutz 02-24-2013 11:03 PM

My expectation is that '13 Alex Smith will be the absolute best that he'll ever be, since it's unreasonable to expect any football player at 30+ to be ascending.

So, not only would we be getting another team's backup, but we'd be getting a lesser version of what he was with his previous team.

007 02-24-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9435279)
Who was the last backup QB that another team traded for who even won a playoff game?

If the 49ers believed in Smith they never would have traded up to draft Kaepernick.

It's not the 1980s. They didn't acquire Kaepernick as a cheap value pick then hold on to him for seven years as an insurance policy; they realized they couldn't win with Smith and got rid of him at the first opportunity presented.

And the Chiefs are always the idiots that fall for it.

Sully 02-24-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9435279)

Schaub.
But your point stands, as he's a slappy (IMO) as well.