ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Huddling (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274008)

Saul Good 06-21-2013 10:09 PM

Huddling

Would football be better if huddling was eliminated by reducing the play clock to 20 seconds?

Am I crazy to think that NFL teams shouldn't need to huddle? No other sport does it. NBA players don't draw up a play after every change of possession. It's boring as shit. It slows the game down. It's a complete waste of time.

Two reasons that it could actually happen.

1. The league is so worried about concussions that they might want to see the players get smaller. 325 pound D-Lineman won't exist. This could reduce the force in the collissions and reduce concussions.

2. The league is dying to figure out how to get more global appeal. The rest of the world loves soccer because it's a continuous game. When they see football, they get bored. It's funny because Americans think soccer is too boring because there isn't as much action, and they think football is boring because there's too much inaction. If you combined the superior action of football with the superior lack of inaction in soccer, that sport would take over the world.

Am I nuts? Should we eliminate the huddle?

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-21-2013 10:13 PM

Momentum=force times velocity. Getting drilled by a 260 pounder running a 4.58 is every bit as ruinous, if not more so, than getting pancaked by a Wilfork.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 10:14 PM

LMAO A non-stop, no huddle with Alex Smith:

Yeah, let's get that boy to the IR asap!

In58men 06-21-2013 10:15 PM

We need to tire these guys out ASAP.

I say 10 seconds on the clock

In58men 06-21-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9768233)
LMAO A non-stop, no huddle with Alex Smith:

Yeah, let's get that boy to the IR asap!

I didn't see your "ASAP" until now. Sorry I Q'd your abbreviation

KcMizzou 06-21-2013 10:16 PM

Yeah, you're nuts. NFL football is all about violent collisions.

I'm all for making the game as safe as it can be, but I really don't give a shit what the rest of the world thinks.

Saul Good 06-21-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9768229)
Momentum=force times velocity. Getting drilled by a 260 pounder running a 4.58 is every bit as ruinous, if not more so, than getting pancaked by a Wilfork.

Right, but you're slowing down the players as well. They don't get to recover between plays. They don't get to sub.

cosmo20002 06-21-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9768225)
Would football be better if huddling was eliminated by reducing the play clock to 20 seconds?

Am I crazy to think that NFL teams shouldn't need to huddle? No other sport does it. NBA players don't draw up a play after every change of possession. It's boring as shit. It slows the game down. It's a complete waste of time.

Two reasons that it could actually happen.

1. The league is so worried about concussions that they might want to see the players get smaller. 325 pound D-Lineman won't exist. This could reduce the force in the collissions and reduce concussions.

2. The league is dying to figure out how to get more global appeal. The rest of the world loves soccer because it's a continuous game. When they see football, they get bored. It's funny because Americans think soccer is too boring because there isn't as much action, and they think football is boring because there's too much inaction. If you combined the superior action of football with the superior lack of inaction in soccer, that sport would take over the world.

Am I nuts? Should we eliminate the huddle?

Sounds like it could be appealing, but what is the relation of huddles to #1 - concussions and smaller players?

Actually, reducing the play clock to 20 seconds would mean more plays, and therefore likely more injuries/concussions.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9768234)
We need to tire these guys out ASAP.

I say 10 seconds on the clock

Eh, great minds and all...

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-21-2013 10:21 PM

Why not? I'm betting the Axl Reid "Deer in Headlights"-offense would be spec-****ing-tacular!LMAO

Saul Good 06-21-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9768241)
Sounds like it could be appealing, but what is the relation of huddles to #1 - concussions and smaller players?

Actually, reducing the play clock to 20 seconds would mean more plays, and therefore likely more injuries/concussions.

You'd shorten the game. You could have shorter quarters.

Huddling gives players time to catch their breath between plays. If you can't catch your breath, you are going to need to focus more on endurance and less on explosion. Smaller, faster, more in shape athletes will dominate the game.

-King- 06-21-2013 10:38 PM

Are you trying to compare NBA plays to NFL plays?

And plus, without the huddles, how are QBs supposed to communicate with the WRs to tell them what to run? Can't go to each of them or else that would take up more time than the actual huddle.

cosmo20002 06-21-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9768249)
You'd shorten the game. You could have shorter quarters.

Huddling gives players time to catch their breath between plays. If you can't catch your breath, you are going to need to focus more on endurance and less on explosion. Smaller, faster, more in shape athletes will dominate the game.

I suppose, but not sure it would make a huge difference.

Shortening the game, shorter quarters--yeah, now you're getting a bit nutty. I know this is just a "what if?" exercise, but the league would never go for that. Shorter game = less ads = less money

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-21-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9768268)
Are you trying to compare NBA plays to NFL plays?

And plus, without the huddles, how are QBs supposed to communicate with the WRs to tell them what to run? Can't go to each of them or else that would take up more time than the actual huddle.

We already have dozens of examples in college and pro football of successful ways to operate an offense without a huddle. Sign boards, hand signals, vocal audibles...they all work.

Phobia 06-21-2013 10:48 PM

Even Donger is saying, "Woah, this guy is an idiot!"