ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Horrible NFL Announcing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104472)

Amnorix 11-16-2004 01:33 PM

Horrible NFL Announcing

This piggybacks off the "Madden is being stifled by Michaels" thread. Is it just me or does NFL announcing just plain, flat out SUCK anymore?

Now it seems to be all about hyping the stars. The announcers barely know what's going on on the field they're so busy pimping Tom Brady, McNair, Manning, etc. It's like they can hardly be bothered to notice that someone ELSE made a play.

One easy example of the announcers just NOT paying attention -- during the Patriots-Jets game the Jets had one good drive all game. They took the ball early in the second half when they were trailing and pretty much marched right down the field. A bunch of very nicely executed run and pass plays.

Do you think they could have mentioned, JUST ONCE, that the entire starting Patriots defensive line was either standing over on the sidelines watching this go on, or playing out of position? The Patriots use a rotational system on their defensive line, and 2/3rds of the starting defense (ahem -- Richard Seymour and co-1st round pick Ty Warren) were standing on the sideline. Vince Wilfork, who is a starter at NG, was getting reps. at left defensive end.

It was only after the Jets had gone all the way from their own 20 to the Patriots red zone that the starters came in. The Jets scored the TD anyway, and kudos to them, but the announcers didn't even notice!!! WTF?!

Also, there's so little analysis of why a particular play worked it's not even funny.

Maybe I just hope for a too-cerebral approach to football, but you would honestly think that a little more analysis and knowledge of what's going on on the field wouldn't kill them. These are former players and coaches -- they must know what's going on, but they package it for what I can only guess is what they think NFL fans are -- morons. :cuss::cuss::cuss:

While ranting, I also want to bitch about the following:

1. TV angles that are so lasered in giving you a closeup of pretty boy QB's face that they miss the snap and first two seconds of the play. All you see is the pileup.

2. Interviews with idiots that I don't care about that run right through plays.

3. Coming back from commercials just in time to see the END of a play.

4. "Welcome back -- on the kickoff [that you didn't see because we had to show our 1,000th beer or pickup truck commercial of this broadcast]....." :banghead:

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 01:35 PM

They are trying to cater to women, and young people. Viewers that might not normally care about football, but will watch it since there are aspects of the program that cater to them.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2004 01:37 PM

Yeah, Gus Johnson and Brent Jones were really bad.

Right now there are only two announcing teams I enjoy listening to:

The ESPN guys
Joe Buck, Aikman, Collinsworth

The rest are all shit.

Rain Man 11-16-2004 01:37 PM

Yep, yep, yep.

I used to like it when they would put one camera on a particular player and just follow that player around during the play. Then, during the huddle, they'd replay it and say, "Let's see what Raymond Clayborn [or Dave Szott or...] did on that play.

Now it's just follow the ball and show the star players over and over and over.

KCTitus 11-16-2004 01:37 PM

KC's last two games have been done by Brent Jones and some other no name play by play guy. Jones couldnt keep the two teams straight last weekend. Also, there was several instances where the referee was annoucing something but these two idiots were talking over it about something stupid.

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 01:38 PM

I wish Berman would call an entire game one time. It'd probably be annoying after awhile though.

HC_Chief 11-16-2004 01:38 PM

It's not just you.

Brock 11-16-2004 01:39 PM

I have noticed I've been missing a play here and there. We leave for a timeout, when we come back, the ball has moved 40 yards somehow.

Amnorix 11-16-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserName
Yeah, Gus Johnson and Brent Jones were really bad.

Right now there are only two announcing teams I enjoy listening to:

The ESPN guys
Joe Buck, Aikman, Collinsworth

The rest are all shit.

Maguire drives me nuts. He's like Mini-Madden.

I really like the Buck/Aikman/Collinsworth grouping. I find Collinsworth especially, to be a bit of fresh air with insightful analysis and he doesn't care who he pisses off with his statements. Sure he's an arrogant little dick, but I still like what he has to say.

Miles 11-16-2004 01:41 PM

The pimping stars the whole game has really gotten out of had. They usually pick a player or two each game and ride his nuts. The ESPN crew is particuarly bad about this. They are probably the worst announcing crew i have ever listend to.

HC_Chief 11-16-2004 01:43 PM

Nobody is more annoying than cock-eyed Stu Scott @ ESPN. That lameass, cliche-spouting, 'Jacked UP!' croaking fuqtard needs to go.

cadmonkey 11-16-2004 01:44 PM

Maguire and Thiesman could be the worst team ever. My ears bleed when I listen to them.

Rain Man 11-16-2004 01:45 PM

I agree about Collinsworth. I like him as an announcer.

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
Nobody is more annoying than cock-eyed Stu Scott @ ESPN. That lameass, cliche-spouting, 'Jacked UP!' croaking fuqtard needs to go.

JACKED UP!

HC_Chief 11-16-2004 01:46 PM

I wonder if they hold Stu Scott's cue cards 18" up and to the right of the camera?