ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2012 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254491)

lewdog 01-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8259325)
It's fine if you want to "change it up," but that change should be change in the assistance work, and not the big movements. Not doing those is just sabotaging your overall progress.

:popcorn:

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8259325)
It's fine if you want to "change it up," but that change should be change in the assistance work, and not the big movements. Not doing those is just sabotaging your overall progress.

I don't think changing to incline bench for flat bench would hinder pectoral development, but probably enhance it which is what I think SR is probably after being the ladies man that he is :).

I agree to try to keep compound exercises pretty much your staple while "changing up" the exercises for other muscles. I wasn't suggesting to do leg extensions in place of squats by any means. By maybe sometime you want to to front shoulder presses instead of rear shoulder presses, maybe sometime you want to do arnolds for a bit on shoulder day instead of side lat, maybe you want to switch from DB's to a plate for front row, or use the a cable machine for it. Change from upright row on the smith machine to ropes on the cable machine or use a reg barbell. Change from preacher curl with curl bar to dumbbells on the preacher curl, do curls on that cable, do hammer curls instead of palms in. Try some supersets, try some drop sets which can be done with compound excercises as well. I could go on and on, but my point it keep it fresh, keep it fun, work hard and keep coming back while of course using compound movements supplemented with lifts for the smaller muscle groups.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8258783)
I meant why are you taking them? I'm assuming as a preworkout and the Stim for weight loss?

Yep.

Silock 01-03-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8259569)
I don't think changing to incline bench for flat bench would hinder pectoral development, but probably enhance it which is what I think SR is probably after being the ladies man that he is :).

The EMG data shows that decline hits upper pecs better than incline, and flat bench hits overall chest development better than both. I mean, the differences aren't very large, but they are there and statistically significant.

Quote:

I agree to try to keep compound exercises pretty much your staple while "changing up" the exercises for other muscles. I wasn't suggesting to do leg extensions in place of squats by any means. By maybe sometime you want to to front shoulder presses instead of rear shoulder presses, maybe sometime you want to do arnolds for a bit on shoulder day instead of side lat, maybe you want to switch from DB's to a plate for front row, or use the a cable machine for it. Change from upright row on the smith machine to ropes on the cable machine or use a reg barbell. Change from preacher curl with curl bar to dumbbells on the preacher curl, do curls on that cable, do hammer curls instead of palms in. Try some supersets, try some drop sets which can be done with compound excercises as well. I could go on and on, but my point it keep it fresh, keep it fun, work hard and keep coming back while of course using compound movements supplemented with lifts for the smaller muscle groups.
Agreed!

I guess my overall emphasis is that we do things all the time that we may not necessarily prefer to do when it comes to diet and fitness. I mean, I'd love to eat apple pie every day and 18 fatty steaks, while drinking as much as I want. But I can't. We all make sacrifices in the name of fitness. So, bearing that in mind, it makes more sense, IMO, to do the exercises that are the very best for you, regardless of how boring they may be at times. And I think you agree with that, mostly.

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8259744)

Agreed!

I guess my overall emphasis is that we do things all the time that we may not necessarily prefer to do when it comes to diet and fitness. I mean, I'd love to eat apple pie every day and 18 fatty steaks, while drinking as much as I want. But I can't. We all make sacrifices in the name of fitness. So, bearing that in mind, it makes more sense, IMO, to do the exercises that are the very best for you, regardless of how boring they may be at times. And I think you agree with that, mostly.

To a point yes, but while it might not make the most sense I do a leg/bicep day instead of the usual leg/ad or leg/core. Like most people I hate doing legs so I added the bi excercises at the end to keep that day fun and me excited to come to the gym. I think it's okay to sacrifice "some" of something that may give you the maxim benefit exhange for unjoyment or keeping it fun at the gym. I'm of course mainly referring to casual gym member and not a competitive athlete.

I've got 2 guys in my gym that are in the their mid 40's. One just won the NPC Mr Missouri overall title and the other one got like 3rd overall in the Masters comp around KC somewhere. Both guys look like freak of natures, but don't train together because they don't like the way the other trains, but they get along fine. Obviously what one is doing may be scientifcally better then the other, I don't know. But they like to do what they do and they probably wouldn't be happy doing it another way even though it works for someone else. Obviously they aren't doing stuff utterly crazy dumb, but they aren't taking it to an extreme that they don't enjoy coming in.

TheGuardian 01-03-2012 03:55 PM

I eat fatty steaks every day now and am 8% at 235-240 now.

I love training legs. Legs and back work has been my bread and butter for a long time. I hate bench pressing.

lewdog 01-03-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8259808)
8% at 235-240 now.

Dude, that is monster status. What height are you?

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

I eat fatty steaks every day now and am 8% at 235-240 now.

I love training legs. Legs and back work has been my bread and butter for a long time. I hate bench pressing.

Over the years I've grown to love doing back for some reason. Obviously mostly upper.

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8259822)
Dude, that is monster status. What height are you?

I think he said around 6'4.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

I hate bench pressing.

How you get those monster pecs, brah?

NewChief 01-03-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8259803)
To a point yes, but while it might not make the most sense I do a leg/bicep day instead of the usual leg/ad or leg/core. Like most people I hate doing legs so I added the bi excercises at the end to keep that day fun and me excited to come to the gym. I think it's okay to sacrifice "some" of something that may give you the maxim benefit exhange for unjoyment or keeping it fun at the gym. I'm of course mainly referring to casual gym member and not a competitive athlete.

This is probably one of my main training issues. I have freaking gym ADHD. The worst part is that I tend to get bored when I'm really making progress. I especially tend to get bored with deads and squats, and I don't tend to suffer the same boredom with chest. I just find myself thinking, "Okay. I've been doing squats for the last month. I'd really rather do unweighted pistols today than deal with all putting on all the plates required for a proper squat routine." Same thing with deads. I think I really just hate racking and unracking all that weight. Boring and tedious.

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8259833)
This is probably one of my main training issues. I have freaking gym ADHD. The worst part is that I tend to get bored when I'm really making progress. I especially tend to get bored with deads and squats, and I don't tend to suffer the same boredom with chest. I just find myself thinking, "Okay. I've been doing squats for the last month. I'd really rather do unweighted pistols today than deal with all putting on all the plates required for a proper squat routine." Same thing with deads. I think I really just hate racking and unracking all that weight. Boring and tedious.

That's why I try to arrange my workout where there is something to look forward to next, or a little later. It's that dessert for eating your supper.

TheGuardian 01-03-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8259830)
I think he said around 6'4.

Nope. 6'.

Quote:

How you get those monster pecs, brah?
I don't train bodyparts. I train movements for the most part. And all the benching I do is close grip.

MoreLemonPledge 01-03-2012 04:12 PM

Am I the only person in the world that looks forward to legs? My program calls for squats every day I'm in the gym, and a heavy dose of deads. I love it.

BigCatDaddy 01-03-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 8259844)
Am I the only person in the world that looks forward to legs? My program calls for squats every day I'm in the gym, and a heavy dose of deads. I love it.

You do heavy squats and deads everytime you workout?