ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Arrowhead Report: Stanzi speaks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253755)

Okie_Apparition 12-14-2011 06:37 PM

Arrowhead Report: Stanzi speaks

1 Attachment(s)
Arrowhead Report: Chiefs quarterbacks share their thoughts for Sunday
By Josh Looney

Posted 1 hour ago

Kyle Orton, Ricky Stanzi and Tyler Palko are each taking a different approach this week, plus other notes from Wednesday at Arrowhead

Now that the first mystery of the Romeo Crennel era has been solved, Chiefs fans can move to another.

Kyle Orton’s right index finger.

Crennel named Orton the Chiefs starting quarterback Wednesday morning, but only if Orton is healthy enough to play after dislocating his right index finger two weeks ago at Chicago. Otherwise, rookie Ricky Stanzi will make his NFL debut.

Both Orton and Stanzi worked with the first-team offense during Wednesday’s practice, but Orton said he has to prove he can make the necessary throws before he’ll be cleared to play.

“I feel pretty good,” Orton said following practice. “I’m just going to kind of take it as it goes and we’ll see what happens when we get to Sunday, but for today it felt about as good as I think it could.”

“Obviously taking snaps with the first-team is different than being on the scout team,” Stanzi added. “That’s really where most of the change has been for me. I’ve been in this position once before as the backup when Tyler (Palko) was in. It’s not too different, but the actual first-team reps have been a bit of a change.”

Stanzi has served as the Chiefs No. 2 quarterback in three games this season, but has yet to see the field. He’s been inactive in Kansas City’s other 10 games this year.

The use of Stanzi has been a hot-topic among the fan base since Matt Cassel’s season-ending hand injury last month. Even with the offense struggling to move the football and some games getting out of reach, Stanzi has remained on the bench.

Regardless, Stanzi says he’s completely healthy and that his confidence hasn’t been affected.

“Your job as a rookie is to come in and do what you’re told by the coaches,” Stanzi said. “You respect the guys who have been on this team. That is your job and that’s the bottom line. You just keep your mouth shut and you work hard.

“That’s been my main focus all the way through and it will always be that way. That’s just the best way to be ready to help your team and I’ll play whatever role they want me to be in.”

If Stanzi starts, he'll be the Chiefs first rookie to start at quarterback since Steve Fuller in 1979.

After starting the last four games, Tyler Palko shifted into a scout team role as the Chiefs No. 3 quarterback.

“That’s Coach Crennel’s decision,” Palko said. “You’re a professional and you have to come to work and do your job every day. That’s what a good teammate does. As one of 53, you come to work and you help your team get better and that’s what I’m going to do over these next three weeks.”

Orton Familiar with Packers

Of Kyle Orton’s 66 NFL starts, five have come against the Green Bay Packers.

Orton made four starts against Green Bay as a starter for Chicago from 2005-08 and squared off against the Packers as a starter for the Broncos earlier this year. He carries a 3-2 record in his five starts against Green Bay.

“I have played a lot against many of the players on their team and I have a lot of respect for them,” Orton said. “They are a very good football team and they have been for a while now. We’ll have to be at our best to have a chance.”

Overall, Orton has completed 64-of-117 pass attempts for 720 yards with five TDs and six INTs against the Packers. He most recently threw for 273 yards with three TDs and three INTs in Denver’s 49-23 loss in Green Bay on October 2nd.

“It was one of their classic games,” Orton said. “They got up on us by about 17 points and then we battled back to get within three. But by the next time we touched the ball we were down 17 points again. They can score fast, they score often and it’s definitely going to take a total team win to stay with these guys.”

NFL Coaching Class of 2009 is Fading

Today’s NFL is often referred to as the “Not For Long” League and the coaching class of 2009 certainly fits that motto.

Todd Haley became the sixth head coach of 2009’s 11-member coaching class to receive his dismissal before three full seasons.

Another three coaches are currently on the hot seat and only two – Rex Ryan of the New York Jets and Jim Schwartz of the Detroit Lions – appear to have sound job security for the 2012 season.

THE NFL’S COACHING CLASS OF 2009

2009 2010 2011 2009-11
Coach Team Record Record Record Record

Rex Ryan NYJ 9-7 11-5 8-5 28-17 (.622)

Jim Caldwell IND 14-2 10-6 0-13 24-21 (.533)

Jim Mora SEA 5-11 NA NA 5-11 (.455)

Todd Haley KC 4-12 10-6 5-8 19-26 (.422)

*Mike Singletary SF 8-8 5-10 NA 13-18 (.419)

*Tom Cable OAK 5-11 8-8 NA 13-19 (.406)

Josh McDaniels DEN 8-8 3-9 NA 11-17 (.393)

Raheem Morris TB 3-13 10-6 4-9 17-28 (.378)

Jim Schwartz DET 2-14 6-10 8-5 16-29 (.356)

Eric Mangini CLE 5-11 5-11 NA 10-22 (.313)

Steve Spagnuolo STL 1-15 7-9 2-11 10-35 (.222)

*served as interim head coach for a portion of the 2008 season

Injury Report

Chiefs Injury Report

Did Not Practice – S Jon McGraw (Ankle)

Limited Practice - QB Kyle Orton (Right Finger)

Packers Injury Report

OUT – T Chad Clifton (Hamstring/Back), WR Greg Jennings (Knee)

Did Not Practice – LB Desmond Bishop (Calf), DE Ryan Pickett (Concussion), RB Brandon Saine (Concussion), RB James Starks (Knee/Ankle)

Limited Practice – G Josh Sitton (Knee)

Full Practice – LB A.J. Hawk (Calf), LB Vic So’oto (Back)

O.city 12-14-2011 06:39 PM

Go Stanzi.

Jive Ass 12-14-2011 06:44 PM

Cool. Hopefully Stanzi gets some playing time in one of these three games.

BigMeatballDave 12-14-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

If Stanzi starts, he'll be the Chiefs first rookie to start at quarterback since Steve Fuller in 1979
:facepalm:

Okie_Apparition 12-14-2011 06:44 PM

If Stanzi starts, he'll be the Chiefs first rookie to start at quarterback since Steve Fuller in 1979.

talastan 12-14-2011 06:46 PM

Play the rook Romeo!! The only way that I would be fine with Orton at QB is if we can lose the last three games and but stay in them offensively. That way Kyle can prove what a POS QB Cassel really is.

Okie_Apparition 12-14-2011 06:46 PM

13 could start after 13 games on the bench
IT'S A SIGN
that should be ignored like no lottering

talastan 12-14-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 8204414)
13 could start after 13 games on the bench
IT'S A SIGN
that should be ignored like no lottering

Brady v. 2.0!!!! OOMMMGGGGG!!!!!!!!11111!!!elventybillion...

JK ;)

Dr. Johnny Fever 12-14-2011 06:50 PM

Good attitude by Stanzi and LOL at Palkos "that's what a good team mate does" line... right out of Crennels presser. The Chiefs media guide should list...

Kyle Orton- QB
Ricky Stanzi- QB
Tyler Palko- Good Team Mate

Tribal Warfare 12-14-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Stanzi
“Your job as a rookie is to come in and do what you’re told by the coaches,” Stanzi said. “You respect the guys who have been on this team. That is your job and that’s the bottom line. You just keep your mouth shut and you work hard.

“That’s been my main focus all the way through and it will always be that way. That’s just the best way to be ready to help your team and I’ll play whatever role they want me to be in. America #1"

FYP Ricky

whoman69 12-14-2011 07:12 PM

Goes to show you how impatient front offices are for a winner.

Lonewolf Ed 12-14-2011 07:20 PM

The bad thing with Palko playing the QB on the scout team is that the defensive backs won't get any good practice in on deep pass routes. 20 yards or less, then they'll be ready!

HemiEd 12-14-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8204405)
:facepalm:

Matt Stevens and Frank Sauer in 87? I have to admit, I totally forgot those two.

the Talking Can 12-14-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

the Chiefs first rookie to start at quarterback since Steve Fuller in 1979.
my brain imploded, then exploded, then shrugged its shoulders and said ' **** it, hind sites are 50/50"

FAX 12-14-2011 07:28 PM

I have a question.

FAX