ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

Mi_chief_fan 01-28-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9359279)
MLB.com announce the top outfield prospects in all of baseball. Who's #1?

Talk about setting the bar high. Last year's Top 10 outfielders list was led by the two players who ended up as the Rookies of the Year. Bryce Harper of the Nationals and Mike Trout of the Angels obviously have graduated, but this year's Top 10 outfielders list has a ton of future rookie-award candidates on it. And there are some new names, with only three outfielders returning from 2012.

1. Oscar Taveras, Cardinals: The Cardinals' signing of Taveras out of the Dominican Republic in 2008 for a mere $145,000 could go down as one the biggest bargains in recent memory. Perhaps the best pure hitter in the Minors, Taveras handled a double jump to Double-A last season by going to the Futures Game and earning Texas League Player of the Year honors. Taveras has done nothing but hit for plenty of average, and the power continues to come, along with improved plate discipline. He has everything to be an All-Star-caliber outfielder who hits in the middle of a big league lineup for years.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

:thumb:

Mi_chief_fan 01-28-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9353708)
That's just damned impressive for a 21-year old.

Check that:20-year old

BigRedChief 01-29-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9360405)
Check that:20-year old

MLB.com picked Taveras as the 3rd best prospect in all of baseball. Called him a young Barry Bonds on the show.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...47916&c_id=stl

Tied for the lead of all teams with the most players on the top 100 prospects team, 6.

duncan_idaho 01-29-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9363675)
MLB.com picked Taveras as the 3rd best prospect in all of baseball. Called him a young Barry Bonds on the show.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...47916&c_id=stl

Tied for the lead of all teams with the most players on the top 100 prospects team, 6.

Taveras is a beast.

I don't get the Barry Bonds comparison (will have to go watch the clip). It makes sense if you're just talking about his bat. But Taveras isn't as fast/the base-stealing threat Bonds was in his youth, and Taveras also doesn't throw like a girl like Bonds did (making him a viable RF or even CF in a pinch and adding some defensive value).

I am weighing carefully between targeting Taveras or Jurickson Profar as my rookie must-have in my fantasy baseball auction/keeper league.

I like Taveras' bat more, but Profar's positional scarcity and ability to help with his legs (while playing in a hitter's paradise) probably give him a slight edge. Whichever one I nab, they will make a nice addition on the shelf next to Mike Trout ($8), Bryce Harper ($5) and Chris Sale ($4).

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on Shelby Miller and Matt Holliday. I can keep Miller for $4 at my last keeper spot and am trying to sort out how likely he is to make the rotation at some point this year. Holliday is my other option at my last keeper spot. He's a bit pricy ($32 - $300 cap, 24 players) and I'm worried about his late-season drop-off/age.

What say you, Cards fans?

BigRedChief 01-30-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9363765)
Taveras is a beast.

I don't get the Barry Bonds comparison (will have to go watch the clip). It makes sense if you're just talking about his bat. But Taveras isn't as fast/the base-stealing threat Bonds was in his youth, and Taveras also doesn't throw like a girl like Bonds did (making him a viable RF or even CF in a pinch and adding some defensive value).

I am weighing carefully between targeting Taveras or Jurickson Profar as my rookie must-have in my fantasy baseball auction/keeper league.

I like Taveras' bat more, but Profar's positional scarcity and ability to help with his legs (while playing in a hitter's paradise) probably give him a slight edge. Whichever one I nab, they will make a nice addition on the shelf next to Mike Trout ($8), Bryce Harper ($5) and Chris Sale ($4).

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on Shelby Miller and Matt Holliday. I can keep Miller for $4 at my last keeper spot and am trying to sort out how likely he is to make the rotation at some point this year. Holliday is my other option at my last keeper spot. He's a bit pricy ($32 - $300 cap, 24 players) and I'm worried about his late-season drop-off/age.

What say you, Cards fans?

yes. If a pitcher goes down or performs poorly, he's first up. We have 3 candidates that could **** up. He will see the mound quite a bit.

Holliday is a consistent .300/20-25/100 hitter every season for the 7-8 years. He usually starts off slow and then he's really hot and then the fall off at the end.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-30-2013 06:20 PM

All questions about Holiday are reserved for frazod :evil:

Frazod 01-30-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9365761)

:#

BigRedChief 01-30-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9365761)

ROFL

Mi_chief_fan 01-30-2013 07:53 PM

I saw the Bonds comparison, and I didn't get it either. Young Bonds didn't have near the power that I've heard Tavares has, but was faster & a better base stealer. The comparison I've heard that makes the most sense (and still sounds pretty good) is Vlad Guerrero. If he's that good, I'll take it.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-31-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9366015)
I saw the Bonds comparison, and I didn't get it either. Young Bonds didn't have near the power that I've heard Tavares has, but was faster & a better base stealer. The comparison I've heard that makes the most sense (and still sounds pretty good) is Vlad Guerrero. If he's that good, I'll take it.

I would hope so ROFL

Marco Polo 01-31-2013 12:13 PM

Just scored my tickets for my fifth straight Opening Day in STL. Just booked my flight!

Mi_chief_fan 01-31-2013 12:47 PM

Jason Parks @Professor Parks I just asked a pro scouting dir about the biggest weakness in Oscar Tavares's game: "He doesn't play for us.That's all I can think of."

BigRedChief 01-31-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9367690)
Jason Parks @Professor Parks I just asked a pro scouting dir about the biggest weakness in Oscar Tavares's game: "He doesn't play for us.That's all I can think of."

$145K bonus?LMAO Wonder if the Cardinals got "Pujols" lucky again?

Mi_chief_fan 02-02-2013 06:04 AM

Say, did any of you see MLB Network's top 50 prospects show? It's supposed to air again at 6pm et (5 pm ct) tonight. Cards well represented, as are the Royals. Also, the Rays have a couple 9f ex-Royals. LMAO

DJ's left nut 02-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9366015)

I'm not sure Oscar has the power that Vladdy has...afterall, I'm pretty sure Vladdy was 'enhanced' during his peak power years. And really, I don't see Oscar being the base-stealer that Vlad was during his peak either.

Maybe Chase Utley? But I think Tavares is a more aggressive hitter than Utley; probably won't have the OBP that he had. Maybe Bernie Williams? But again, Bernie drew a ton of walks.

Really, if you combine Bernie's batted ball profile with Torii Hunter's aggressive approach, I think you have Oscar. But a lot of those guys I'm a little reluctant to compare him to started drawing more walks as they got a little older, so maybe that's in store for Tavares as well. If he ever really refines his eye, he could easily be a Bernie Williams or Bobby Abreu type hitter.

Let's just compare him to All-Stars right now. We'll worry about comparing him to HOFers when he gets his 1000th hit or so...