ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV This is the end (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271673)

keg in kc 04-01-2013 09:24 PM

This is the end

Couldn't find a thread with the earlier trailers from this, surprised. Looks funny.

Red-band that came out today. Which shows probably the whole movie:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i24fo2W5EaE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kaplin42 04-02-2013 12:21 AM

Im in!

Bowser 04-02-2013 10:14 AM

LMAO

bishop_74 04-02-2013 11:16 AM

Beat me to it. Looks fantastic

The Franchise 04-02-2013 02:55 PM

That looks ****ing amazing.

DJ's left nut 04-02-2013 03:24 PM

Will be watching.

siberian khatru 04-02-2013 04:58 PM

That. Looks. AWESOME.

But damn, yeah, that trailer gave a lot away.

Tribal Warfare 05-10-2013 01:07 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_eqUJib8kec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ceej 05-10-2013 07:37 PM

This looks great.

Dayze 05-10-2013 08:30 PM

Ok.....that looks great . "**** yo house Franco".

Baby Lee 05-12-2013 08:49 PM

Two completely unrelated things.

First, what is the deal with Youtube videos where the embed doesn't offer full screen, you can only get the full screen option on youtube.com/

Second, anyone find it odd that of all the Apatow, Rogen, Franco etc collaborations, and even when those guys, and Cardinelli, Martin Starr, and Busy Phillips, are interviewed John Francis Daley never comes up? He was THE central character on Freaks and Geeks. He's still in the business, going strong on Bones for several years now. There can't be a total freeze out, as another Apatow protege Carla Gallo has played his on again off again love interest on Bones for a few years now as well.

Just seems odd, for a close knit as the rest of them seem to be, his name never comes up.

nstygma 05-12-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9677957)
First, what is the deal with Youtube videos where the embed doesn't offer full screen, you can only get the full screen option on youtube.com/

don't you have this icon in the bottom right of the embed?
http://i.imgur.com/0OFQiEL.jpg

Baby Lee 05-12-2013 10:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9677967)
don't you have this icon in the bottom right of the embed?
http://i.imgur.com/0OFQiEL.jpg

Nope, just the four leftmost icons, and a 3D icon to the left of them. The youtube icon is at the rightmost corner of the embed.

But the fullscreen icon shows up if I click on the youtube icon and view the clip directly from their site.

Embed 1st

Youtube site 2nd

And this isn't just a CP thing, over the past week or so, all embeds from youtube exhibit this.

Rasputin 05-12-2013 10:51 PM

Now this looks bad ass. First movie in a long time I want to go see.

Tribal Warfare 05-12-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9678094)
Nope, just the four leftmost icons, and a 3D icon to the left of them. The youtube icon is at the rightmost corner of the embed.

But the fullscreen icon shows up if I click on the youtube icon and view the clip directly from their site.

Embed 1st

Youtube site 2nd

And this isn't just a CP thing, over the past week or so, all embeds from youtube exhibit this.

you to go to "the old code" if you're having problems with the setup

nstygma 05-13-2013 12:11 AM

i use chrome and it always shows

Tribal Warfare 05-28-2013 01:55 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rFQJ0XgVDas?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pepe Silvia 05-29-2013 01:11 PM

These guys are comedic geniuses. I can't wait to go see this. I like the Michael cera part where the light pole goes completely through him and he says "Is it bad?" LMAO

Tribal Warfare 05-30-2013 01:46 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rVAid0zzCF4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 05-30-2013 02:17 PM

Looks freaking hilarious.

Good god, emma watson.

Baby Lee 05-30-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

anyone find it odd that of all the Apatow, Rogen, Franco etc collaborations, and even when those guys, and Cardinelli, Martin Starr, and Busy Phillips, are interviewed John Francis Daley never comes up? He was THE central character on Freaks and Geeks. He's still in the business, going strong on Bones for several years now. There can't be a total freeze out, as another Apatow protege Carla Gallo has played his on again off again love interest on Bones for a few years now as well.

Just seems odd, for a close knit as the rest of them seem to be, his name never comes up.

Ironically

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273323

Pepe Silvia 05-30-2013 04:30 PM

Thats weird you had mentioned that because up until Pineapple Express James Franco was kind of out of the scene with those guys too. He still had a big career but not with the Apatow gang, its good to see that changed.

KcMizzou 05-30-2013 04:45 PM

This looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Ceej 05-30-2013 04:58 PM

Seth Rogen seems like one cool mother****er.

KcMizzou 05-31-2013 07:00 PM

IGN gives it an 8.5

Quote:

Entourage Beyond Thunderdome

The trailers, clips and marketing materials have all been great, but This is the End could easily have been revealed to be one of this summer's biggest disappointments. It is instead one of this year's best surprises. If you are skeptical, you're in for a treat. If you're excited, prepare to be satisfied.

Inspired by the 2007 short film, Jay and Seth vs.The Apocalypse, This is the End marks the directorial debut for long-time writing collaborators Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. The basic premise of the film is that the apocalypse hits while Rogen and his best Canadian bud, Jay Baruchel, are attending a party at James Franco's place. Rogen, Baruchel, Danny McBride, Jonah Hill, and Craig Robinson star as very heightened versions of themselves. The central team is supported by a host of cameos from celebrities including Michael Cera, Emma Watson, Rihanna, Kevin Hart, Jason Segal, Aziz Ansari, Mindy Kaling, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Paul Rudd and a few treats that are just far too choice to spoil.

The fear was that this may have ended up as an opportunity for a bunch of Hollywood muckety-mucks to get together, smoke an ocean of ghanja, and generally crack each other up with a series of inside jokes that don't really work to create a cohesive story. The first part is true: This is a bunch of buddies getting high together (in all likelihood) and making each other laugh while improvising their individual and collective responses to a catastrophe of ungodly proportions. It is an impressive testament to the cast's talent, and Golberg and Rogen's ability to steer the ship, that not only do the individual jokes work, but so does the film as a whole.

The story itself is pretty basic: Jay Baruchel comes to visit Seth Rogen in Los Angeles. The good friends have grown apart as Jay doesn't care for the LA lifestyle and Seth's new Tinseltown brahs. In an effort to bridge the gap, and encourage his two worlds to live in harmony, Seth brings Jay to a get-together at Franco's modern-art filled house in the hills. As we know, globally scaled mayhem ensues. The rest of the film finds the motley crew struggling to discover what went wrong and survive without losing the last, or only, vestiges of their humanity. They also put together a pretty solid sequel to one of their films.

To some degree, This is the End really is a bunch of sketches that are stitched together. There is a definitive beginning, middle and end to the story of Jay and Seth's rocky friendship, though, as well as to the tale of the end of time, life on earth, and the literal and metaphorical party that these guys have been living in. When a film incorporates as much improvisation as this one has, there is always a risk of things feeling disjointed. That doesn't happen here. Rogen and Goldberg are able to give their cast room to create magically delicious hilarity, while keeping them on track and maintaining the trajectory of the big picture. Not to mention coordinating the technical aspects of some impressive special effects, particularly for a comedy of this nature, and fantastic creature design.

One of the more surprising elements of the film is its bromantic sweetness. Aside from the overall, large-scale ethical aspects of the story, the buddy portion of the piece is effective, and the characters are surprisingly endearing. There's often an attraction/repulsion element when watching something that deals with Hollywood high-rollers (think Entourage). The lifestyle is inherently self-indulgent and the participants often kind of bratty and unsympathetic. The celebrity aspect works here, though. Jay's aversion to it helps us to plug into the story; he stands in for the audience as the outsider who is disconnected from the BS and excess. Also, they are all being brought down to Earth - literally. The end of the world is the great equalizer. Hey, celebrities scream, bleed and die when impaled - just like us!

A great deal has been made of Danny McBride's entrance in this film; and rightfully so. It is, in a word, awesome. He is a stand-out every moment that he is onscreen, though. Kenny Powers meets The Road Warrior's Lord Humongous in McBride's performance. He functions as a counterpart to the group's often rocky desire to be virtuous to the best of their very limited man-child abilities. He also stands as an example of exactly how not to respond to these circumstances. You need that character to act as a balancing force, to create tension, illustrate the choices the others are making, and add a dash of brutality to the mix. Oh man, is there ever some yummy brutality served up.

In truth, the entire cast is firing on all cylinders. They bring out one another's A-game without devolving into showy one-upmanship. It's a somewhat complicated formula, in a way, because they are playing one part their public persona, perhaps some degree of their actual personality, and primarily the characters that Rogen and Goldberg have designed for them.

They are all side-splitting funny, flawed, but often lovable a-holes. Except McBride, he's just a d***, in the best possible way. The group, on the whole, is relatable in the sense that they are stumbling along trying to get things right, and often getting it wrong. If there is a "straight man," it's Jay Baruchel. He is ideally suited as a grounded, understated but still comical, fish-out-of-water who provides a window into this world. One really feels that they are simultaneously being given a keyhole view into these friendships and enjoying a large-scale, apocalyptic fantasy with fully fleshed-out, larger-than-life characters.

There are a few clunky moments here and there and the film occasionally feels, not so much bloated, but as though it's taking a little longer than necessary to reach a particular conclusion. The story is, as mentioned, a bit thin, or perhaps simplistic is a more apt description. This isn't necessarily "smart" humor, meaning, richly textured, layered, referential or laced with complex themes. It's just really, really funny. It's a straightforward set-up, well executed. It's also occasionally legitimately freaky and often quite sweet.

The cause of the apocalypse, which you may have guessed but we won't reveal in case you haven't, may throw some off. There's an inherent "message" to the piece, which is again, uncomplicated, but makes the movie kind of all the nicer for it. The only issue with the moral of the story is that the film's conclusion undercuts it a bit. It's as if This is the End is saying, "Don't be a Hollywood d-bag, or a d-bag at all, so that you can then later be a BIG d-bag, for a really long time." That's just a very minor gripe, though, and one that is unlikely to bother many people.

When you're watching a stoner/celebrity culture/end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it comedy like this one, it really comes down to "How often did I laugh?" The answer is a lot, and not this much since 2012's 21 Jump Street and Ted. If you're a fan of Rogen and Goldberg's work, this is absolutely one you'll want to check out. Even if you haven't been entirely enamored with them of late, you may want to consider giving This is the End a shot, as it's arguably their best film. Even better? As hilarious as the marketing materials have been, they haven't given away all of the strongest bits, gags and reveals. There are plenty of laughs left in the film itself.

This is the End opens in U.S. theaters on June 12, with a global roll out beginning on June 28.

Roth Cornet is an Entertainment Editor for IGN. You can follow her on Twitter at @RothCornet and IGN at Roth-IGN.
Become a fan of IGN

What easily could have been a self-indulgent, convoluted mess turns out to be to what is, possibly, the best comedy of the year; and is certainly the best comedy of the year to date.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...ource=facebook

Baby Lee 05-31-2013 07:19 PM

Speaking of buddies collaborating, did anyone catch the mini-eruption about the nixed live recordings of re-enactments of 16 Candles and Pretty in Pink, from back in the day [ie, 2004]

Catch the pics and see how many you can ID.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bran/sets/746386/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bran/se...with/33645329/

keg in kc 06-01-2013 11:44 AM

CHUD owner liked it as well: http://www.chud.com/137032/review-this-is-the-end/

sd4chiefs 06-10-2013 08:24 AM

With 27 reviews in it's at 89% on the tomatoemeter. :thumb:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/this_is_the_end/

AphexPhin 06-10-2013 11:27 AM

looks pretty funny but I cant stand Seth Rogen and his annoying laugh. Oh well I'll still probably see it.

I'm gonna see Man of Steel first though.

Tribal Warfare 06-10-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphexPhin (Post 9741066)
looks pretty funny but I cant stand Seth Rogen and his annoying laugh. Oh well I'll still probably see it.

I'm gonna see Man of Steel first though.

me too, but I'm getting a little worried that they'll be releasing MOS reviews at the last minute on RT.

keg in kc 06-10-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9741139)
me too, but I'm getting a little worried that they'll be releasing MOS reviews at the last minute on RT.

I don't think the RT reviews are going to impact me going one way or the other. Since I already have a ticket for Thursday at 7.

I'm maybe seeing this is the end on wednesday.

Tribal Warfare 06-10-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9741425)
I don't think the RT reviews are going to impact me going one way or the other. Since I already have a ticket for Thursday at 7.

I'm maybe seeing this is the end on wednesday.

I have midnight premiere tickets in advance also

Ceej 06-10-2013 06:23 PM

The girlfriend and I plan on seeing it Wednesday afternoon.

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

Jarni 06-12-2013 04:23 PM

These guys are so great together, so its definitely a don't miss out on. I can't get passed the candy bar thing. Guessing dude didn't get it since he appeared green and all sorts of Exorcist, haha. Is Jason Segal in this? He's usually in most things with this crew, but I didnt notice him in the trailer.

keg in kc 06-12-2013 04:25 PM

I was going to see it tonight, but the state of kansas decided that two weeks wasn't enough time to get my new tags back to me. Hopefully they come tomorrow, or I'll be breakin' the law, breakin' the law to go see MoS.

Hootie 06-12-2013 10:49 PM

Absolutely an amazing comedy. Best comedy (and maybe better) since original Hangover.

BigBeauford 06-13-2013 12:31 PM

It was definitely a riot. They had a ton of ancillary characters who are really superstars for other films at the beginning. I wouldn't be able to recommend this movie enough, and you probably won't be able to see Michael Cera the same way again.

DaFace 06-15-2013 09:51 PM

What a ridiculously hilarious movie.

Sorter 06-15-2013 10:02 PM

Excellent.

DaFace 06-15-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9748642)
Absolutely an amazing comedy. Best comedy (and maybe better) since original Hangover.

It's definitely a similar style of comedy. The plot itself is pretty weak (not unlike the Hangover movies) , but it's a great mechanism for a shit ton of absolutely side-splitting moments.

bowener 06-16-2013 12:43 AM

I didn't see this sober, and it was hilarious.

sd4chiefs 06-16-2013 08:42 AM

I saw it last night. I was laughing so hard my side was hurting. I am so glad I went to see this instead of that lame Superman movie.

Ceej 06-18-2013 03:09 PM

Great ****ing movie.

From the beginning to finish.

|Zach| 06-19-2013 01:58 AM

Very funny. Saw it on Father's Day with my old man.

You need to already like the people involved going in though...and I felt a little fidgety towards the end thinking they could have wrapped it up sooner but I had a lot of laughs.

Sannyasi 06-20-2013 12:54 AM

Funniest movie in a long time.

keg in kc 06-24-2013 04:11 PM

Finally saw it (right after a 2nd viewing of MoS). Funny movie. Good afternoon at the theater.

Sure-Oz 06-24-2013 05:24 PM

Pretty funny movie but i thought it lasted too long. Def good for afternoon theater laughs

rico 06-24-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Two completely unrelated things.

Second, anyone find it odd that of all the Apatow, Rogen, Franco etc collaborations, and even when those guys, and Cardinelli, Martin Starr, and Busy Phillips, are interviewed John Francis Daley never comes up? He was THE central character on Freaks and Geeks. He's still in the business, going strong on Bones for several years now. There can't be a total freeze out, as another Apatow protege Carla Gallo has played his on again off again love interest on Bones for a few years now as well.

I was just wondering that a couple days ago. Confuses me as well.

rico 06-24-2013 06:55 PM

I thought it was great compared to the quality of movies we've seen these past few years...just "good" overall though. Sometimes I think Seth Rogen tries to force the humor in the dialogue a little too much when he's involved with writing the screenplay.

Michael Cera was the highlight of the movie for me.

BigMeatballDave 06-29-2013 03:03 PM

Saw this today.

Hilarious.

Demonpenz 07-02-2013 01:17 PM

Why do these ****ers love Pinnaple Express so much. It seems like you have to see that movie to laugh at this movie.

HC_Chief 07-02-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 9773308)
Michael Cera was the highlight of the movie for me.

+1

Baby Lee 07-02-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9788466)
Why do these ****ers love Pinnaple Express so much. It seems like you have to see that movie to laugh at this movie.

Glad I looked over at who posted this.

Demonpenz 07-02-2013 08:45 PM

I am seriously confused though...I like pinnaple express just fine, but they seem to assume everyone has seen that move in this movie.

nstygma 07-03-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9789128)
Glad I looked over at who posted this.

is it bad that i don't remember laughing at that movie one single time?

007 09-15-2013 01:39 AM

maybe it helps that I had a few drinks in me but I haven't laughed this much in quite a while. This was a night I needed some laughs too. Really enjoyed it.

DaFace 09-15-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9975006)
maybe it helps that I had a few drinks in me but I haven't laughed this much in quite a while. This was a night I needed some laughs too. Really enjoyed it.

It's definitely one that you shouldn't think about too much, but it's hilarious if you just go with it. ;)