ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Maryville teen allegedly raped by football player (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277426)

Cephalic Trauma 10-14-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10085050)
Anonymous picked up the story.

http://pastebin.com/3rq0ZSrY

MOAR!!!

I love anon, and I hope they are able to do something substantial.

Cephalic Trauma 10-14-2013 02:25 PM

I would also like to hear from some of our legal gurus on the board.

Paging Dj's left nut.

BigCatDaddy 10-14-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10085508)
Yeah, that one... they moved before selling their house in Maryville, and it burned down. The article said it was investigated but the cause wasn't determined.

It's disgusting enough to blame the victim and cover up something like that, but then to go after them by firing the mom and <b>burn down the house they lived in </b>(and I'm sure the girls had a pleasant time in school, too)... holy shit.

That may have been a good thing if they were making payments on it and the community refused to buy it.

WhawhaWhat 10-14-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 10085594)
MOAR!!!

I love anon, and I hope they are able to do something substantial.

The work that offshoot group did with the Steubenville case was amazing.

Strongside 10-14-2013 02:36 PM

This is not funny and I'm not trying to joke about it...but I'm on my phone and the title was cut off to read 'Maryville Teen Allegedly Raped by Football.' That seemed painful.

blaise 10-14-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10084976)
You didn't read the story, but people like you that blame the rape victim for being raped can DIAF.

Saying someone made bad decisions doesn't mean you're blaming them.

Saying a woman shouldn't walk in a dark parking lot alone at night doesn't mean you're blaming her if she gets mugged.

BigCatDaddy 10-14-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10085689)
Saying someone made bad decisions doesn't mean you're blaming them.

Saying a woman shouldn't walk in a dark parking lot alone at night doesn't mean you're blaming her if she gets mugged.

True, but when he added this part it sounded a whole lot like he didn't have much sympathy for her and stopped just short of saying it was her fault.

"Back in college, I can remember false calls of rape happening a lot. Girls get drunk, sleep with someone they wouldn't normally sleep with, then cry rape the day after. Happened to a mate of mine. Nearly ruined his life as well. Then the girls story unraveled and she admitted finally that it was consensual."

jerryforeverrice80 10-14-2013 02:48 PM

this dad of 4 girls would be in prison right about now for blowing his head off.

Skyy God 10-14-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 10085615)
I would also like to hear from some of our legal gurus on the board.

Paging Dj's left nut.

I'll take a stab at it. Consensual sex requires capacity to consent, and this girl's BAL was .13 in the morning (probably at least 8-10 hours after the party). Extrapolating back to when the alleged rape occurred, I think a tox expert could credibly testify that she was either passed out or so drunk as to be unable to meaningfully consent. She was probably somewhere around a .20 to .25, which is pretty ****ed up for a 14 year old girl. Again, keep in mind I don't know when the rape occurred or when she was tested.

Apparently there's a loophole in the current law, however, where that incapacity has to be caused only by the perp. In this case, she clearly had a role in her incapacity

http://barnesformissouri.com/?p=935

So, I'm back to my original assessment that a properly motivated prosecutor should at least have gotten a statutory conviction/plea. The perp's grandfather was retired highway patrol, so my guess is a few favors were called in.

Cephalic Trauma 10-14-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10085722)
I'll take a stab at it. Consensual sex requires capacity to consent, and this girl's BAL was .13 in the morning (probably at least 8-10 hours after the party). Extrapolating back to when the alleged rape occurred, I think a tox expert could credibly testify that she was either passed out or so drunk as to be unable to meaningfully consent. She was probably somewhere around a .20 to .25, which is pretty ****ed up for a 14 year old girl. Again, keep in mind I don't know when the rape occurred or when she was tested.

Apparently there's a loophole in the current law, however, where that incapacity has to be caused only by the perp. In this case, she clearly had a role in her incapacity

http://barnesformissouri.com/?p=935

So, I'm back to my original assessment that a properly motivated prosecutor should at least have gotten a statutory conviction/plea. The perp's grandfather was retired highway patrol, so my guess is a few favors were called in.

:thumb:

Thanks.

Eleazar 10-14-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 10085364)
Having lived in Maryville for 4 years I'm only a little surprised. Doesn't stop me from being disgusted though. This is the perfect confluence of rape culture and small-town crooked politics. Horrific.

I wonder if this didn't have more to do with their place as football players or just as popular kids than local politics. Who knows.

Iowanian 10-14-2013 05:24 PM

I went to college there and have several local friends. I guarantee the entire community doesn't approve of this or support it.

Eleazar 10-14-2013 05:24 PM

Tons of fellow bearcats on this board it seems.

Cephalic Trauma 10-14-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 10086191)
I went to college there and have several local friends. I guarantee the entire community doesn't approve of this or support it.

Why were they silent? Why didn't anybody stand up for this girl?

Bearcat 10-14-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10086181)
I wonder if this didn't have more to do with their place as football players or just as popular kids than local politics. Who knows.

All 3, since he was a popular football player with political ties in his family, and (supposedly) favors were called in to get the charges dropped, as they had been in the past for the same kid.