ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU Xavier Henry gets his first taste of KU hoops (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=216643)

ROYC75 10-21-2009 09:18 AM

I'm excited about this season and at the same time, can the Henry boys blend in with the rest of the team?

If so, I don't see another team with as much talent across the country. If BS has them all on the same page, it will be a fun ride.

CoMoChief 10-21-2009 09:21 AM

I haven't been this excited coming into a season since the 2002-03 season.

I knew the 07-08 team would be good (Final 4 good to be in fact) but I thought UNC would pull it off for the NC, and man am I glad I was wrong on that. Nothing was better than to see KU beat Roy's team senseless into the wooden floor and to see Aldrich hammer Tyler Hansbrough inside the paint. Then Mario's shot in the NC game.

FishingRod 10-21-2009 09:39 AM

You know this is what is great and really tough about being a KU fan.
Great = Every single year we have a chance to win the national championship.
Tough = Every year some red hot shooting punk can play the game of his life a beat you in the tournament and the year is over. Last year was a "down" year for KU going into the season and I fully expected KU to do no worse than 2nd in the Big 12 and get to the sweet 16. This year I 'EXPECT" to win the Big 12 and do no worse than a final 4 appearance. It kinda sucks to be disappointed in an Elite 8 appearance.

For what it is worth I think the Big 12 is going to be a very good conference this year. KU #1 TX #2 and then 3-10 being pretty much a toss up with most of them having a legitimate chance to make it to the big tournament. Ya just gotta love college basketball.

Buehler445 10-21-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingRod (Post 6193097)
Tough = Every year some red hot shooting punk can play the game of his life a beat you in the tournament and the year is over. Last year was a "down" year for KU going into the season and I fully expected KU to do no worse than 2nd in the Big 12 and get to the sweet 16. This year I 'EXPECT" to win the Big 12 and do no worse than a final 4 appearance. It kinda sucks to be disappointed in an Elite 8 appearance.

For what it is worth I think the Big 12 is going to be a very good conference this year. KU #1 TX #2 and then 3-10 being pretty much a toss up with most of them having a legitimate chance to make it to the big tournament. Ya just gotta love college basketball.

That's a really good post.

However, Iabsolutely did not expect a Sweet 16 berth out of last years team. I just didn't think it would happen. Fortunately Collins and Aldrich went from Role Player and Benchwarmer to BAMFs. Morningstar also played better than I expected. I thought we had a legit chance of 3rd in the conference last year also.

This year is a different animal, of course. I don't think we could ever "expect" a national championship, only to be competitive for one. Sooo many things have to fall in place in order to win one, you can't think that it will just happen. The 07-08 team was one of the best I've seen. Ever. And they barely got it done. I think with a team like we have now, you just expect to get to survive the E8 and see what you can do in the Final 4.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat 10-21-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingRod (Post 6193097)

Yeah, seasons like last year and 03-04 (when they lost in OT to Georgia Tech in the EE) are much more relaxing, and while it's obviously great to be a contender every year, it's nice not having the pressure to win a tournament that's a crapshoot.

We even got a taste of that 2 years ago... the best thing for the team as far as taking the pressure off was making it to the FF, but how they won ended up being a blessing for the fans because well, if you barely beat Davidson, you have no chance against UNC... LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6193203)
This year is a different animal, of course. I don't think we could ever "expect" a national championship, only to be competitive for one. Sooo many things have to fall in place in order to win one, you can't think that it will just happen. The 07-08 team was one of the best I've seen. Ever. And they barely got it done. I think with a team like we have now, you just expect to get to survive the E8 and see what you can do in the Final 4.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly... the EE is hard enough when you're facing a #1 or a team that could have been in the running for a #1... and that's if you survive the crazy stuff in the first few rounds.

It'll be a fun ride.

hawkchief 10-21-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6193037)
I haven't been this excited coming into a season since the 2002-03 season.

I knew the 07-08 team would be good (Final 4 good to be in fact) but I thought UNC would pull it off for the NC, and man am I glad I was wrong on that. Nothing was better than to see KU beat Roy's team senseless into the wooden floor and to see Aldrich hammer Tyler Hansbrough inside the paint. Then Mario's shot in the NC game.

^^^This^^^^^

CoMoChief 10-21-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 6193293)
We even got a taste of that 2 years ago... the best thing for the team as far as taking the pressure off was making it to the FF, but how they won ended up being a blessing for the fans because well, if you barely beat Davidson, you have no chance against UNC... LMAO

IIRC Davidson played UNC earlier that season in their non conf schedule and it came down to the last few posessions. Curry went off on them, UNC barely won, 72-68

blazzin311 10-21-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 6192644)
I think that Billbo wanted to redshirt him because of his injury and Mario wanted to fight through it. The guy is very strong for his size and can be an offensive burst type of player. I think he's going to be the guy at the three spot when push comes to shove along with Releford. I know that the twins are practicing at the three along with the front court positions, but I'm not sold on their ability to guard effectively at the three with their new size.

I see the lineup as follows:

C: Aldrich, Mk. Morris, Withey
PF: Mc. Morris, Robinson
WF: X. Henry, Little, Releford
SG: Taylor, CJ Henry, Morningstar, Teahan, Buford, Juenemann
PG: Collins, Johnson, Reed

Although, I think it would be a complete waste of a very deep team if he didn't run three waves at people and just overwhelmed them. Some of the players have recently commented that the summer pickups consisted of three five man teams that were pretty equal in terms of talent and quality on the court. Just bury people by wholesale substitutions every five minutes or so.

And the three guys I've got at the WF position could theoretically switch in and out on three different positions (PF, WF, SG) along with Marcus who can play C, PF and WF. There is a lot of different lineups that they could potentially throw at people during the course of the season.

That lineup is absolutely sick!

Mr. Laz 10-21-2009 11:39 AM

Teahan, Buford and Juenemann redshirt or transfer i image.

Bearcat 10-21-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6193323)
IIRC Davidson played UNC earlier that season in their non conf schedule and it came down to the last few posessions. Curry went off on them, UNC barely won, 72-68

Yeah, and there were a few other close games against quality competition in their non-conference schedule... the doublespeak was hilarious. Davidson is for real, don't overlook them, Curry can win games by himself... then even after they beat the team that people said would upset Kansas (Georgetown) and took Kansas down to the final shot, it's "well, look at how Kansas struggled to beat little ole Davidson...".

:doh!:

Buehler445 10-21-2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 6193628)
Yeah, and there were a few other close games against quality competition in their non-conference schedule... the doublespeak was hilarious. Davidson is for real, don't overlook them, Curry can win games by himself... then even after they beat the team that people said would upset Kansas (Georgetown) and took Kansas down to the final shot, it's "well, look at how Kansas struggled to beat little ole Davidson...".

:doh!:

Yeah. It was rediculous watching that skinny little dude just score. You know, whenever he wanted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants 10-21-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6193635)
Yeah. It was rediculous watching that skinny little dude just score. You know, whenever he wanted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Makes me think of that Texas Tech abortion of a game. God, I don't think I have ever been as pissed watching KU BBall than that night.

Buehler445 10-21-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 6193638)
Makes me think of that Texas Tech abortion of a game. God, I don't think I have ever been as pissed watching KU BBall than that night.

Bradley?
Bucknell?

Just askin....
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants 10-21-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6193663)
Bradley?
Bucknell?

Just askin....
Posted via Mobile Device

Wiped from memory. Sorry.

Buehler445 10-21-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 6193668)
Wiped from memory. Sorry.

Figured. Sorry I brought it up.
Posted via Mobile Device