ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Gretz: D.T. Makes Hall Cut To 25 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197388)

Tribal Warfare 11-25-2008 07:44 PM

Gretz: D.T. Makes Hall Cut To 25

D.T. Makes Hall Cut To 25

November 25, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

The potential class for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2009 has been sliced to 25 players and part of that group is Chiefs LB Derrick Thomas.

The Hall of Fame in Canton announced the results of balloting by the board of selectors that was conducted earlier this month from an initial group of 133 names. Voters were asked to select 25 players, coaches or contributors.

The 25 modern-era semi-finalists list will be reduced by a mail ballot to 15 finalists. Along with two senior nominees, the Class of 2009 will be selected from that list of 17 men on Saturday, January 31, 2009, in Tampa, Florida the day before Super Bowl XLIII. Rules provide that between four and seven new members will be selected.

WR Bob Hayes and DE Claude Humphrey are the senior nominees for this class.

Thomas is part of the 25 semi-finalists for the fifth consecutive year.

Joining him are first-year nominees DE Bruce Smith, CB Rod Woodson, TE Shannon Sharpe and DT John Randle.

There are three non-players on the list: former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, former Browns-Ravens owner Art Modell and Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson.

Other players among the 25: WR Cris Carter, RB Roger Craig, RB Terrell Davis, C Dermontti Dawson, DE Richard Dent, DE/LB Chris Doleman, DE/LB Kevin Greene, G Russ Grimm, P Ray Guy, DE/LB Charles Haley, CB Lester Hayes, DT Cortez Kennedy, G Bob Kuchenberg, G Randall McDaniel, WR Andre Reed, QB Ken Stabler and WR/Special Teamer Steve Tasker.

Four other members of the Chiefs did not make the cut to 25 players: DE Art Still, CB Albert Lewis, S Deron Cherry and K Nick Lowery.

The list of 15 finalists will be announced in early January.

Hermcock 11-25-2008 07:47 PM

It's a tough class, but somebody needs to put an end to this bullshit and get him in.

KCChiefsMan 11-25-2008 07:54 PM

it's ridiculous how he is not in already. I'm not just being a homer either

Rain Man 11-25-2008 07:55 PM

Is Gretz still the clown that will mess it up for DT?

There are some good nominees. You know that Bruce Smith will get in. I'm not convinced that Woodson is a first-ballot guy, and Sharpe and Randle clearly aren't, assuming that the voters don't overlook the fact that the Broncos' Super Bowl trophies were stolen.

In order, I'd say the most likely candidates are:

1. Bruce Smith
2. Cris Carter
3. Derrick Thomas
4. Bronco Loudmouth Idiot, in part because he mumbles on TV and that impresses the sportswriters
5. Rod Woodson

The ones that I think are most deserving are (in order):

1. Bruce Smith, even though I'm not a fan of his at all.
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Cris Carter
4. Kevin Greene
5. Ray Guy, even though he's a stinkin' Raider.

After Fred Freaking Dean last year, there's no telling what these voters will do. I'll be royally ticked if they put Charles Freaking Haley in before DT.

Seriously, Fred Dean? What was that about?

KCChiefsMan 11-25-2008 07:56 PM

but I'm sure Shannon bitch ass Sharpe will make in 1st ballot along with Bruce Smith

orange 11-25-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 5249178)
but I'm sure Shannon bitch ass Sharpe will make in 1st ballot along with Bruce Smith

Sanity returns. :clap:

Rain Man 11-25-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 5249178)

If that happens, I'll hunt down and kill the voters one by one.

HemiEd 11-25-2008 07:59 PM

Well done as usual Kevin. Do you listen to the NFL Sirius channel? Mushmouth has his own program in the morning and his been shamelessly lobbying.
He has gone on long rants about how GREAT he is.

stevieray 11-25-2008 08:01 PM

Sometimes I feel he isn't going to make it in...it's been almost a decade since he died.

SAUTO 11-25-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 5249197)
Sometimes I feel he isn't going to make it in...it's been almost a decade since he died.

that would be a travesty

Coach 11-25-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Yeah, it's been too long, plus the fact that it hurts his chances is that he's not here to campaign himself for it, you know? I know there are others that can do the work for him, but it's just a completely different ball game if he was here.

I honestly thought last year was probably his best chance to get in, because of that this year's class is much more stronger than it was last year, in terms of new players who are added onto the list.

HemiEd 11-25-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

It doesn't seem to be getting any easier. Especially with the Chiefs being the laughing stock of the league now. I guess Detroit's last win was over the Chiefs.

Herm has no right to be ****ing up this franchise like this.

KcKing 11-25-2008 08:15 PM

Terrell Davis?? They serious?? He had what? 4 seasons?

StcChief 11-25-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 5249191)
Well done as usual Kevin. Do you listen to the NFL Sirius channel? Mushmouth has his own program in the morning and his been shamelessly lobbying.
He has gone on long rants about how GREAT he is.

If he still had the records it might make a difference. other than the tainted SBs.

Rain Man 11-25-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 5249220)
Yeah, it's been too long, plus the fact that it hurts his chances is that he's not here to campaign himself for it, you know? I know there are others that can do the work for him, but it's just a completely different ball game if he was here.

I honestly thought last year was probably his best chance to get in, because of that this year's class is much more stronger than it was last year, in terms of new players who are added onto the list.

The thing that annoys me is that ex-players who are on TV as announcers get preferential treatment in the voting. Howie Long? Come on. There's no appreciation for the integrity of the game when steroid thugs like Howie Long get in. It's sad.