ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Seattle is about to get the Sonics back (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268677)

Imon Yourside 01-09-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 9300335)
The Kings were pretty terrible except for a three year stretch. I saw some great games and great players when they were here for sure. I saw Tiny Archibald take them to their first playoff series in 1975. They lost to the Bulls. Tiny tore his achilles the year before and they finished about 20 games under .500.

The playoff series with the Suns in 81 was awesome. Winning the 7th game on the road with Wedman and Otis Birdsong and Sam Lacey was fantastic. Losing to Moses Malone in the Western Conference finals was not as awesome.

Was at their last home game. The Lakers came to town on the last day of the season. Everybody was there to see magic and Kareem. The Lakers left Magic at home to nurse a knee and Kareem didn't play/travel because of a migraine.

Didn't matter. The Kings kept it close until the late 4th quarter. Wilkes, Cooper, Worthy,McAdoo, Byron Scott were enough. And they still had Kupchek, Mike McGee, Rambis and Ronnie Lester on the bench. Sick roster.

I remember the PA guy took a line from Don Meredith and said "Turn out the lights, the party's over" as we left.

Ya I was a kid but my dad has season tix. I loved going to the games.

WilliamTheIrish 01-09-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9300338)
The Maloofs didn't own the Kings when they moved from Kansas City. They owned the Rockets at that time.

Correct. The team was sold "to an investment group" as it was reported. I don't think anybody knew who was the actual group at the time of the sale.

Imon Yourside 01-09-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9300338)
The Maloofs didn't own the Kings when they moved from Kansas City. They owned the Rockets at that time.

I do remember their names being associated though, like I said I was 7-11 years old when they were here.

okcchief 01-09-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9300318)
actually seattle isnt doing the same thing. The owners for Thunder siad they werent going to move the team, then said later suckers!

Everyone knows with this move the team is going to Seattle, Its a different beast.

You are selling a team to a guy with OKC roots. There were rumblings the day he bought the team they were moving. He said he would stay if he got a first class arena. He says his intention was to stay there. probably not true, but if they vote for an Arena he cant move.There was a vote for an Arena that was turned down. They voted for an arena and are getting their team back.

Again, if the Thunder weren't one of the best teams in the NBA the majority wouldn't care, and Seattle probably wouldn't have approved an Arena deal now.

KCFaninSEA 01-09-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9300364)
You are selling a team to a guy with OKC roots. There were rumblings the day he bought the team they were moving. He said he would stay if he got a first class arena. He says his intention was to stay there. probably not true, but if they vote for an Arena he cant move.There was a vote for an Arena that was turned down. They voted for an arena and are getting their team back.

Again, if the Thunder weren't one of the best teams in the NBA the majority wouldn't care, and Seattle probably wouldn't have approved an Arena deal now.

Not true....exactly. Watch the YouTube video, Sonicsgate: Requiem for a team. David Stern and that ****sucker Clay Bennett STOLE the team. They lied to delay and came up with bogus excuses as to why the Sonics couldn't remain in Seattle. Watch the video. Howard Schultz (former owner and CEO of Starbucks) also was a part of this but he was probably just an idiot rather than a thief or liar. The city council also ****ed it up a bit. Watch the video

Sorter 01-09-2013 02:57 PM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/569744_o.gif

kcxiv 01-09-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9300364)

The only people that SHOULD Care are old Sonic's fans, they feel like they got ****ed, but they also gotta put up money for the arena if they want the team to stick around. Its gotta work both ways. Its also the reason why the Kings are going to leave, the city doesnt want a new arena and arco arena is a ****ing dump.

Sorter 01-09-2013 03:00 PM

http://karmajello.com/postcont/2012/...p-ally-oop.gif

Lex Luthor 01-09-2013 03:02 PM

I say good for Seattle. I'm glad to see that city get an NBA team again. I'd like to see them call the team the SuperSonics again.

It sucks for Kansas City that we can't get an NBA team here, but without an owner willing to buy a team and move it here, there's not a whole lot that can happen.

Thig Lyfe 01-09-2013 03:02 PM

most people who live in sacramento don't even care if they wake up in the morning so I'm not too worried about the backlash this time

kcxiv 01-09-2013 03:03 PM

Alot of talent in the nba right now. 2 new teams may not be a bad idea right now if the teams fanbase can handle them.

Lex Luthor 01-09-2013 03:07 PM

If the NBA abruptly announced that they were going to put an expansion team in Kansas City, that would be a hell of an off season for this town.

teedubya 01-09-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9300220)
I am not big into NBA or NHL I would love for a team to come in and be successful but I am really similar to you here...just pretty skeptical it would work.

KC has a 3rd team... SportingKC... I don't think we need an NBA/NHL team now.

And KC has a 4th team... the Kansas Jayhawks. :-D

blaise 01-09-2013 03:24 PM

I think KC could support a good team like OKC has, but not a mediocre team or a bad team. Not for long anyway.

KCFaninSEA 01-09-2013 03:35 PM

The city of Seattle has the rights to the name SuperSonics. It was the only thing left behind. That one who sucks the penis Bennett even took the '79 Championship trophy. What a dick.