ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2018 1st Round Mock 3.0 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315081)

kccrow 04-24-2018 06:04 PM

2018 1st Round Mock 3.0

Here's my final mock for the year of the 1st round. I expect alot of moving around this year. I doubt I'll hit a single pick, but hey it was fun... So here goes...

1-01. Browns – Sam Darnold, QB, USC
The Browns need a QB and they’d be ridiculous not to make that player Sam Darnold. Darnold is the most complete QB from A to Z in this draft and is primed to be a face of the franchise type of player.

1-02. New York Giants – Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
David Gettleman has never traded down in the draft before and he’s also made it a habit of taking defensive players very early (even if he did take Christian McCaffrey at 8 last year). I think he follows the approach that got him where he is today and helps the Giants rekindle their suffocating pass rush with the draft’s premier defensive end. If Gettleman does trade out, I think it’s for a ransom of picks to the Bills who could give up 12, 22, 53, and a 2019 1st to get here.

1-03. New York Jets (f/IND) – Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
The last time the Jets had a personality at QB as outlandish as Mayfield’s they won a Super Bowl. It’s no secret the Jets came up to 3 for a QB and the only question is which one. Unless a team moves up to #2 to take Mayfield in front of them, he’s the guy they seem most interested in.

1-04. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (f/HOU via CLE) – Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
Projected trade: 1-7, 2-38, 2019 2nd, for 1-4, 2-64
Despite glaring needs on the offensive line, I think Tampa Bay is so in love with Barkley that if he gets within distance they are going to want to make a move for him. John Dorsey isn’t one to get all up in arms over a RB and neither were his teachers in Green Bay. I also don’t think Dorsey will want to drop far enough from 4 to potentially miss out on a top DB, so going to 11 or 12 with Buffalo or Miami would have to be an insane offer. If Barkley makes it past the Giants, there will be teams calling up Cleveland for this pick, I can guarantee it. Barkley is a game changer and is exactly the type of guy the Bucs desperately need to help Jameis Winston out, especially now that Doug Martin is gone.

1-05. Denver Broncos – Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
When you know you need a QB and you’re in the position to take one, it’s an awful tough task to pass on one. The Broncos have Case Keenum, but he doesn’t look like the franchise QB John Elway really wants. Allen fits the big, strong-armed QB profile Elway has taken a liking to in past drafts and if he’s here, I think he’s their man.

1-06. Buffalo Bills (f/NYJ via IND) – Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Projected trade: 1-12, 1-22 for 1-6
This could end up being a 3-way battle for this slot with Rosen slipping to 6 between Arizona, Miami, and Buffalo. Buffalo will come away the victors given they have the most immediate draft capital to help a Colts team desperate for as many quality players as they can add. Rosen is the most polished QB in this class, and while he’s likely not Buffalo’s first choice he just could be the best choice.

1-07. Cleveland Browns (f/TB) – Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama
The Browns moved down a little, passing on Barkley, but they get a player they need more than a RB in the Alabama corner. The Browns are desperate for help in a severely limited defensive backfield and Fitzpatrick fits the profile DB that Dorsey looks for.

1-08. Chicago Bears – Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
The Bears have yet to re-sign Jerrell Freeman and his constant problems with PEDs, including finishing out a suspension that stems from last season, looms large in that situation. The Bears also lost their stud backup, Christian Jones, to the rival Lions. The Bears need a stud at ILB ala their glory years of the past. Smith has the range to play sideline-to-sideline and the coverage skills coveted in this modern era, plus he’s widely regarded as the best ILB in this draft.

1-09. Washington Redskins (f/SF) – Vita Vea, DT, Washington
Projected trade 1-13, 2-44 for 1-9, 3-74
The Redskins were terrible against the run last year and a big reason was that they had nobody at NT. The tides are turning defensively for Washington as they seem to be doing a house-cleaning. I expect them to go aggressively for players that will help them change their attitude on that side of the football, which is why I have the coming up 4 spots to snag the best NT prospect to come out since Dontari Poe. Vea is a mammoth that is near impossible to move off the ball and has the agility and quickness to cause havoc in the backfield similar to a young Haloti Ngata.

1-010. Oakland Raiders – Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
The Raiders’ linebackers have been flat-out terrible for several season now and they really need to get a blue-chipper on the interior. Tahir Whitehead was a nice signing, but new additions Kyle Wilber and Emmanuel Lamur are more-or-less journeymen backups and special teams players. That said, the Raiders are probably going to be the Raiders and ignore this, especially with their favorite, Roquan Smith, taken. I instead have them going after Hurst, who they held a private workout with and seem to really like. Jon Gruden also seems to think the Raiders really need a pass rushing defensive tackle to take some pressure off of Khalil Mack.

1-011. Miami Dolphins – Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
There’s no doubt the Dolphins are going to try their best to get up for a QB, but I don’t see them being able to pull it off. I think they end up having to stand pat and take a BPA approach, then focus on the other guy they really like, Luke Falk, later. Nelson is a steal at 11, but I’m not sure he goes much higher than this if he does at all. Premium picks are seldom spent on interior lineman no matter how good they may be. The last guards to go top 10 were Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack at 7 and 10 in 2013 and neither lived up to their lofty billing. You have to go all the way back to 2001 before you find another guard taken in the top 10 and that was Leonard Davis at 2. He also failed early on to live up to expectations and didn’t flourish until his 2nd contract.

1-012. Indianapolis Colts (f/CIN via BUF) – Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
The Colts move back a second time in my eyes but still get a man they badly need in Ohio State corner Denzel Ward. He can step on the field and immediately replace the huge loss of Rashaan Melvin.

1-013. San Francisco 49ers (f/WAS) – Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, Virginia Tech
The 49ers are in some serious trouble at ILB in the aftermath of the Reuben Foster debacle. Add in the fact that they literally have nobody else worthwhile at linebacker and it’s a recipe for need #1. The 49ers got good value by trading down and securing Edmunds who has the size and abilities to hold up at the point of attack, the speed and agility to cover, and adds in some pass rush ability.

1-014. Green Bay Packers – Derwin James, SS, Florida State
The Packers are in desperate need of help in their secondary after the loss of stud safety Morgan Burnett in free agency and the trade of Demarious Randall to the Browns. James might not fall this far but with the pushes I see happening at the top of the draft, it becomes much more likely. James is a do-it-all stud in the mold of guys like Eric Berry and the Packers would rush to the podium to land him.

1-015. Arizona Cardinals – Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
The Cardinals really liked Deshaun Watson last season and didn’t make the move to get him. I’d have to think they see a similar player this year in Lamar Jackson and with how heavy this draft is at the top for QBs, they might just get one this time around. Jackson is an elite athlete that also throws a pretty good ball, but he has those scary knees.

1-016. Baltimore Ravens – Mike McGlichey, OT, Notre Dame
While the Ravens desperately need help at receiver, even after the additions, they struggled mightily with the loss of Ricky Wagner at RT. Ozzie has always been one to look at the trenches first and fill in the rest later. He’ll take the safe bet at right tackle in Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey.

1-017. Los Angeles Chargers – DaRon Payne, DT, Alabama
The Chargers really need some help up front next to their star edge setters to help take some of the pressure off. Payne can buckle down against the run but has the athleticism to push the pocket and get to the QB should the edge guys receive too much attention.

1-018. Cleveland Browns (f/SEA) – Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
Projected trade 2-35, 2-38 for 1-18
After trading down with Tampa, Dorsey uses two of his three 2nd round picks as ammunition and jumps up to the 18th pick with a trade to Seattle. Bryan is a disruptive force at the point of attack and will help take pressure off of Ogbah and Garrett.

1-019. Dallas Cowboys – Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
The Cowboys are desperate for a #1 wideout after the release of Dez Bryant and they also lost any hope of a potential replacement in Brice Butler. The Cowboys seem to love Sutton and he fits that prototypical big #1 they’ve always employed.

1-020. Detroit Lions – Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
While Detroit upgraded their WLB spot with the signing of rival Christian Jones, I don’t think they’ll sit on penciling in Devon Kennard at the strong side after the departure of Tahir Whitehead. The Lions have been weak at linebacker for years and it’s time they step up and get a difference-maker. Vander Esch has the range to be a sideline-to-sideline player and the play strength at the point of attack to be a downhill defender, plus he has excellent NFL size.

1-021. Cincinnati Bengals – James Daniels, OC, Iowa
The Bengals offensive line is a mess from one end to the other, sans Clint Boling and perhaps Cordy Glenn (can he stay healthy?). The Bengals have to find interior help and Daniels is the perfect fit as he’s an absolute stud. Daniels has elite quickness and movement to go with sound technique, as should be expected from an Iowa lineman.

1-022. Indianapolis Colts (f/KC via BUF) – Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA
The Colt’s may have missed out on Chubb, but Davenport is a very good defensive end in his own right and the position is a definite need for the Colts since John Simon is more of a reserve level player and Sheard is not elite. The Colts look good in bolstering their defense with the additions of Ward and Davenport.

1-023. New England Patriots (f/LAR) – Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
The Patriots brought in Jason McCourty via trade with Cleveland, but he’s more-or-less a one-year rental to help absorb the atrocity that was the Malcolm Butler situation. In any event, the Pats will be looking for long-term help at the CB position and Alexander fits well with great speed, quickness, and agility to go along with solid technique to stick with receivers like glue out of their breaks.

1-024. Carolina Panthers – Justin Reid, FS, Stanford
The Panthers have yet to adequately replace Eric Coleman at FS in free agency and are probably going to look at the draft for that guy. Reid fits everything that Ron Rivera wants at safety with outstanding athleticism, physicality, smarts, and leadership. Reid is a plug-and-play type of defender that will help out Carolina’s secondary that lacks talent and depth overall.

1-025. Tennessee Titans – Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
The Titans don’t have too many glaring needs, but one area of concern is generating more of a pass rush and planning for Brian Orakpo’s age and expiring contract following this season. Landry is one of the better edge players in this year’s draft, but his production dipped from 16.5 sacks in 2016 to only 5 in 2017 and that could correspond with a dip in his draft status.

1-026. Atlanta Falcons – D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
The Falcons have a huge hole at DT heading into this draft, but with all of the 1st round-level talent being snapped up ahead of them, I think they’ll choose to offer Matt Ryan a bit more help at WR and an improvement over Sanu. Moore is an explosive player with excellent size and leaping ability that is accustomed to making contested short and intermediate throws in a power conference.

1-027. New Orleans Saints – Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
The Saints don’t have a lot of huge holes to fill, so I’d expect them to either get a weapon for Brees or some protection for him at guard. That said, the Saints have really lacked a threat at the TE position since Jimmy Graham was dealt away and it’s a piece I feel is integral to this team taking the next step forward. Gesicki is an outstanding vertical threat in the passing game with excellent size, speed, hands, and route running. He’ll need to learn to block over time, but they don’t need him for that as much as they need Brees to have a safety valve.

1-028. Pittsburgh Steelers – Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
I know the Steelers need ILBs, but calling for them to reach a bit seems very un-Steeler-like. With the situation with LeVeon Bell ongoing, the Steelers brass has spent an awful lot of time with Guice who has a similar style. I look for the Steelers to end the drama and get themselves another back.

1-029. Jacksonville Jaguars – Dallas Goedert, TE, SOUTH Dakota State
The Jaguars don’t have many huge holes aside from fixing their lackluster QB, but they have been scouting TEs heavily to at least help him out. If Goedert falls here, I expect the Jags to snap him up rather quickly as he seems to be one of their favorites. Goedert has the ability to stretch the seam and be a major threat in the passing game, but he’s making a big leap in competition and will have to be polished as a route runner early.

1-030. Minnesota Vikings – Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
The Vikings need to continue to upgrade the trenches offensively and Tom Compton isn’t exactly going to set the world on fire. Hernandez, on the other hand, just might. Hernandez is an absolute beast of a man with the “I want to tear your head off” attitude to go with it which probably means the Vikings are going to get one hell of a bargain here.

1-031. New England Patriots – Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
I really don’t want to mock Miller to the Patriots, but feel as though I almost have to. Antonio Garcia was cleared to play again and is reportedly back up to 290 pounds. If he’s a healthy go, he was drafted to be the heir to Solder. The real issue is whether or not the Pats can trust that he’ll be ready to go this season. Miller, meanwhile, is a virtual Solder clone with length and athleticism but a ton of rawness that will have to be coached up.

1-032. Indianapolis Colts (f/PHI) – Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Projected trade 2-36, 4-104 for 1-32
I have the Colts as the big movers and shakers in this year’s draft and I have them coming up above Cleveland to snag a play-maker at receiver that they lack. Ridley is thought by many to be the best receiver, but D.J. Moore and Courtland Sutton have made a huge push amidst concerns over Ridley’s size and ability to hold up as a #1. The Colts get a great value and give Philly a much needed extra pick.

Happy Draft!

The Franchise 04-24-2018 09:08 PM

Goedert is from SOUTH DAKOTA State.

kccrow 04-24-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13529940)
Goedert is from SOUTH DAKOTA State.

**** it. He's still overrated and is gonna suck dick. :D

kccrow 04-26-2018 08:34 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/vysUmffUa9o4g/giphy.gif

KChiefs1 04-27-2018 05:05 AM

Mayock wasn’t even close.

kccrow 04-27-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13534209)
Mayock wasn’t even close.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really was. I mean, you're going to have a good % of picks that went in the first with these guys and that's what they get graded on, but in terms of actual projections, they were way off. I was closer to where a lot of guys went with my 2.0 version. I'm still amazed by that first round. Some completely unexpected picks by some teams. I can't believe the value at DB on the board to start the 2nd round.

I was wrong in my OP, I actually hit 1 pick hahaha.