ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Do Geno fans have overinflated expectations? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271406)

Fat Elvis 03-23-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9523267)
You give the guy at least three years to develop. Brad Johnson is not a franchise QB. McNabb was a franchise QB. A franchise QB is any QB that is able to take the team on his back and lead them to victory.

Brad Johnson has a Super Bowl ring, McNabb doesn't.

Dave Lane 03-23-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9523279)

Doesn't matter

Dave Lane 03-23-2013 09:46 AM

And personally I don't care if they take Geno or not. Take the whomever you think is the best QB in this class. If he crashes and burns take another one in a high round until you do get a good one.

Fat Elvis 03-23-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9523295)
Doesn't matter

It doesn't? So you would rather have a "franchise QB" -whatever that is- than a Super Bowl victory?

Once again, tell me, what is a franchise QB?

Crush 03-23-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9523279)

That's because Brad Johnson rode the coattails of an historic defense. By your logic, Dan Marino is not a franchise QB.

Crush 03-23-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9523304)
It doesn't? So you would rather have a "franchise QB" -whatever that is- than a Super Bowl victory?

Brad Johnson is the exception, not the norm.

Ace Gunner 03-23-2013 09:49 AM

I don't consider expectations for Geno Smith to be overinflated, but I do think folks are making him seem like he's a no risk player. He isn't. There are parts of his game that are underdeveloped and it is certainly questionable as to whether Geno Smith can handle pressure of the NFL better than pressure of college ball. Can he mature?

I have always maintained he could have good success if paired with a sympathetic offensive minded coach like Gruden or Jim Harbaugh. But I don't consider Andy Reid to coach like Gruden does, he demands his QB play the game his way and the WCO is a complex system for any young man to command.

I still feel this draft is awash from 1 to 15 and Geno Smith isn't really a top fifteen player in a normal draft, but I would grab him because this team needs to start grabbing young QB talent and he does have elite ability, not necessarily saying he is elite overall.

I like his throwing motion a lot. I like the trajectory he has, very high release and the ball points down when he makes short passes, which is great for WCO style and guarding the ball from INT during tips. It also makes it harder to make a play, defensively.

He's got an elite arm, decent accuracy, but I have read where he loses focus and accuracy. We saw this during a few plays when he was up against K State and Baylor.

I'm not sure how I feel about his nerve, though it seems he does stand in during blitz and pass rushing that gets in on him.

Those are the areas of concern for me.

Crush 03-23-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9523304)

Once again, a franchise QB is a QB that takes the team on his back and wills them to victory.

Examples: Montana, Elway, Graham, Staubach, Marino, Bradshaw, Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning II, and Flacco.

Fat Elvis 03-23-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9523306)
That's because Brad Johnson rode the coattails of an historic defense. By your logic, Dan Marino is not a franchise QB.

It isn't my logic. I'm trying to understand what people mean when they say "franchise QB."

There are a lot of "franchise QBs" that have never won a SB:

Dan Marino
Archie Manning
Fran Tarkenton
Dan Fouts
Sonny Jurgensen
Kenny Anderson
Donovan McNabb
Roman Gabriel
Jim Kelly
Boomer Esiason
Steve McNair
Bert Jones
Phillip Rivers
Ron Jaworski
Daunte Culpepper
Joe Ferguson
Steve Grogan
Ton Romo

SAUTO 03-23-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9523016)
I bet it has more to do with the fact that he had three great years in college, a great combine, a great pro day, and appears to be a really great human being as well. Who wouldn't want someone like that to be their franchise QB?

By reading all your posts for months I would say you
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 03-23-2013 10:03 AM

This article has a similar problem that those who have super high expectations for Geno have. It treats Geno as a plain-vanilla, generic player whose future will be determined on the basis of the position he's taken in the draft and statistics based on that draft position. That said, it's an interesting analysis about draft value.

If people look at Geno Smith as an individual and determine that his talents warrant making him your starting QB, he absolutely deserves to be taken 1.1. Not everyone is convinced of that though. For example, I was listening to a ProFootballWeekly podcast this morning and their draft "experts" have Geno ranked as the 102nd player overall and the 6th best QB.

SAUTO 03-23-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9523181)
Great post, Keg.

And there's no "conspiracy theory" about it - there a quote floating around from Reid that said he had his eye on Alex Smith before he ever took the job.

you stole my post
Posted via Mobile Device

Cannibal 03-23-2013 10:10 AM

Holy ****ing shit, I'm sick hearing about Geno Smith.

Reaper16 03-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9523329)
For example, I was listening to a ProFootballWeekly podcast this morning and their draft "experts" have Geno ranked as the 102nd player overall and the 6th best QB.

They have to be idiots, then. Actual, confirmed idiots. Like, "makes a strong argument for eugenics" type idiots.

Cannibal 03-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9523219)
I will suck your dick if this comes to pass.

:LOL: