ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs Skill Players (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188742)

jspchief 08-08-2008 08:05 AM

Chiefs Skill Players

Yea, yea... only one game, only preseason....

I've got a pretty good feeling about the Chiefs skill players. Obviously LJ is very good, but we look to have two nice back-ups in Smith and Charles. I have high expectations for Bowe, but watching our other receivers last night has given me some hope for the rest of the WRs. Those guys were making nice catches in traffic and keeping the ball when getting hit. Cottam has shown as much in 1 preseason game as Kris wilson did his entire time with KC. And while I'm not sure yet if Croyle is going to be a great QB, we probably have one of the better back-up QBs in the league with Huard. I can't remember the last time I was impressed with the preseason play of so many of our non-star skill players, and it's a nice feeling.

Now the line play on the other hand....

HypnotizedMonkey 08-08-2008 08:07 AM

we've definitely got some talented young players.

HemiEd 08-08-2008 08:10 AM

I couldn't agree more. I know it was only a small sample, but I sure liked how Brodie handled himself, and even Thigpen once he got in the rythem.

Now if we can just get all the groundskeepers to mow the grass before the games.

Jenson71 08-08-2008 08:11 AM

They are young players who I'm looking forward to see develop into solid starters.

Where was Darling last night? Is our 2nd receiver still up for grabs? Could it be Price or Sippio or Franklin?

Direckshun 08-08-2008 08:11 AM

I actually think we might have a WR corps this year. I'd like to see them continue that trend.

Franklin, Webb, Price, and Sippio all made plays. Even McMahon and Arthur ran good routes.

Darling is the one guy who didn't make himself known.

Direckshun 08-08-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 4901051)
They are young players who I'm looking forward to see develop into solid starters.

Where was Darling last night? Is our 2nd receiver still up for grabs? Could it be Price or Sippio or Franklin?

If we had to choose right now, you'd have to give it to Franklin.

Reerun_KC 08-08-2008 08:13 AM

Nice to see Croyle have solid control over the offense. IT was really nice to see people hold on to the freaking ball when it got there on a rope! Croyle was pretty impressive. I am not sure yet that our younger WR's will be amount to much, but they showed that they can catch the ball in traffic..

That has to make Croyle feel good, knowing that his bullets can be held on to...

Direckshun 08-08-2008 08:14 AM

I gotta say, Sippio looked great. He ran great routes and after the catch, he was tough to bring down.

Direckshun 08-08-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4901058)
Nice to see Croyle have solid control over the offense. IT was really nice to see people hold on to the freaking ball when it got there on a rope! Croyle was pretty impressive. I am not sure yet that our younger WR's will be amount to much, but they showed that they can catch the ball in traffic..

That has to make Croyle feel good, knowing that his bullets can be held on to...

Did we have any drops?

I'm trying to remember, I don't remember any drops...

Chiefnj2 08-08-2008 08:15 AM

It was a promising start, but I'm not sure anything can be made of it. After last years first preseason game the leading receivers were Hannon and Wilson and people were hyping up Allan. Lets see if these young guys can keep it up all 4 games.

BigRedChief 08-08-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 4901041)
Yea, yea... only one game, only preseason....

I've got a pretty good feeling about the Chiefs skill players. Obviously LJ is very good, but we look to have two nice back-ups in Smith and Charles. I have high expectations for Bowe, but watching our other receivers last night has given me some hope for the rest of the WRs. Those guys were making nice catches in traffic and keeping the ball when getting hit. Cottam has shown as much in 1 preseason game as Kris wilson did his entire time with KC. And while I'm not sure yet if Croyle is going to be a great QB, we probably have one of the better back-up QBs in the league with Huard. I can't remember the last time I was impressed with the preseason play of so many of our non-star skill players, and it's a nice feeling.

Now the line play on the other hand....

Hey stranger! going to make it to the Broncos game this year?

I'd agree. The skill positions looked promising for the future. Something that hasn't been said about our team since when??? evah?

BigRedChief 08-08-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 4901061)
Did we have any drops?

I'm trying to remember, I don't remember any drops...

Cottam on a little 5 yard pass from Thigpen. Announcers blamed it on Thigpen for throwing it too hard.

Demonpenz 08-08-2008 08:18 AM

If cottom a good player it should send a red flag up on tight ends that are smaller.

FAX 08-08-2008 08:22 AM

It's honestly a little amazing how deep we are at running back. We have a lot of ding dang running backs and most of them are genuinely talented. The wide out situation is similar. When it's down to cutting either Price or Sippio, that's a good place to be - at least, based on their performance last night.

As for Croyle, I don't know what more you could ask from the guy. As we all know, one drive is a small sample, but he played well and did everything the mysterious and inscrutable Chan asked him to do - including get 6.

When it comes to the skill guys, the only thing I'm confused about is Thigpen. I don't really see why Herm & Co. were so high on this guy.

FAX

KCJohnny 08-08-2008 08:28 AM

Fullback?

I have a question about a 'non-skilled' position that has hurt us immeasurably the last 2 seasons: Fullback. Who and how did he play? Ever since T-Rich went to Minny our rushing attack has suffered. Two players converted from other positions subbing at FB/H-Back were obviously not the answer.