ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Victory for Jamie Oliver in the U.S. as McDonald’s is forced to stop using pink slime (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278111)

Omaha 10-31-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10144417)
We have spent how many pages in this thread talking about ammonia hydroxide. I've had 20 different opinions on both sides. After this many pages, there STILL doesn't seem to be anything close to a right or wrong answer. And we're talking about people who are doing the right thing, and at least doing some research to find an answer.

OK, but if figuring out if the pink slime that is added to fast food burgers is a problem or the thing that determines if a Big Mac or Whopper are healthy choices or not, the big picture is being missed. Fast food burgers are not good. BOOM! done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10144417)
That tells you how unnecessarily hard it is to get the facts straight about what you eat. I completely disagree with you. I believe there are lots of people who are motivated to lose weight, but lose themselves in a massive sea of misinformation. They eat Panera and think they're eating healthy. They buy turkey substitute products that aren't breast meat. They drink gallons of orange juice instead of soda. And then, when they workout like crazy, try to eat sensibly and still don't lose weight, they become depressed and give up.

First, these aren't the people who are waiting in line at McD's, either. Second, I am fully aware that people do incredibly stupid things while attempting to lose weight, but I don't agree that it's too overwhelmingly hard for them to educate themselves. If they can read a Men's Health & use some common sense (Maybe do some squats or something, too) they will be well on their way. It's not a huge secret that calories out > calories in = weight loss.

Hoover 10-31-2013 03:56 PM

1. Eat at home.
2. Cook your own food.
3. Grow it yourself

BigMeatballDave 10-31-2013 03:57 PM

Has anyone tried that brisket sandwich at Arby's?

chiefzilla1501 10-31-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10144588)
They currently have that right, and they have for quite some time. They can even take entire responsibility and raise/grow their own food so they know exactly what they're consuming.

Or maybe we should actually have standards so that when people buy stuff... I don't know... it's clear to the consumer what they're buying?

Whether you agree with the way this ammonia hydroxide thing was presented, it's something that is added to your food unnaturally and sold to the consumer. And consumers have no idea this is happening. Even if consumers don't care that it's happening or educate themselves to believe it's unharmful, why shouldn't the consumer at least know it's happening to the products they buy? Why are we treating it like it's such a bad thing?

Ace Gunner 10-31-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 10144612)
1. Eat at home.
2. Cook your own food.
3. Grow it yourself

4. shit good shits

Frosty 10-31-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10144547)
It might if he continued the all junk food/low calorie diet long term because he would eventually become so malnourished his immune system (and other systems) would not function properly, but I think I get your point. Junk food in moderation won't end your life.

Dammit! I was in a hurry when I typed that. I left off the "occasionally".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10144337)
Of course. It just isn't going to kill you or cause irreparable harm to eat out or eat junk food occasionally if you control the calories.

FMP

Saul Good 10-31-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10144606)
Being honest about processes and ingredients?
And you don't think there aren't a lot of people who want to know what's in their food, or consumers out there who want to know that when they're eating a "healthy" option it's actually healthy?

So kindly, **** off with your comments saying I have "personal" issues, you ****ing prick. We're having a conversation here.

If there are so many people like this, then restaurants should be doing it voluntarily in order to cater to that huge demographic. In reality, it's just a few people who think they know what is best for everyone who like to piss and moan.

Saul Good 10-31-2013 04:03 PM

Anyone who is too ****ing stupid to know that fast food is unhealthy is too stupid to read up on the nutritional content of food, anyway.

chiefzilla1501 10-31-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10144607)
OK, but if figuring out if the pink slime that is added to fast food burgers is a problem or the thing that determines if a Big Mac or Whopper are healthy choices or not, the big picture is being missed. Fast food burgers are not good. BOOM! done.

What is being added to our ground beef in supermarkets? How much seasoning are they adding to "raw meat" we buy in grocery stores? What is really going into those fresh mass produced Perdue chickens? This isn't just about McDonald's. It's about consumers not given enough information about what they are buying. But to your example... take away Big Mac as an example. Talk about apples with caramel dipping sauce. Or their salads with a wad of greasy meat and highly fattening dressing. Again, I get there are people who know what they're eating and just don't care. My problem is people who think they're eating better food, and it's actually terrible for you.

The only way for people to know if mass produced food is bad for you is to research everything. It shouldn't have to be that difficult.

Quote:

First, these aren't the people who are waiting in line at McD's, either. Second, I am fully aware that people do incredibly stupid things while attempting to lose weight, but I don't agree that it's too overwhelmingly hard for them to educate themselves. If they can read a Men's Health & use some common sense (Maybe do some squats or something, too) they will be well on their way. It's not a huge secret that calories out > calories in = weight loss.
I really don't agree with you. Educating yourself is not easy, not when we don't know what's going into even raw food we buy, or food improperly marketed as being healthy (or at least... not as food that is unhealthier than it looks). It takes a big-time commitment, and that includes lots of motivation (for example... I worked real hard to get healthy, and now I lost 10 lbs). Bad food is addicting and lack of results is very de-motivating. When that progress is disrupted because of misinformed food choices, that makes the whole process very hard.

chiefzilla1501 10-31-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10144636)
If there are so many people like this, then restaurants should be doing it voluntarily in order to cater to that huge demographic. In reality, it's just a few people who think they know what is best for everyone who like to piss and moan.

There is NO CONSUMER who will get upset because a food manufacturer was upfront and honest about their processes and ingredients.

And nobody is saying we have some food nazi standing in a restaurant yelling at people to stop eating something. Nobody is saying "get rid of bad menu options." I am saying, the more consumers know about their food, the better. They are free to eat whatever they want, as long as they know exactly what they're eating.

Omaha 10-31-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10144670)
What is being added to our ground beef in supermarkets? How much seasoning are they adding to "raw meat" we buy in grocery stores? What is really going into those fresh mass produced Perdue chickens?

It's not about seasoning. I was talking about the crap that gets fed to the cattle. I have to warn you, if you start reading about this stuff, you'll probably change the way you think about food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10144670)
I really don't agree with you. Educating yourself is not easy, not when we don't know what's going into even raw food we buy, or food improperly marketed as being healthy (or at least... not as food that is unhealthier than it looks). It takes a big-time commitment, and that includes lots of motivation (for example... I worked real hard to get healthy, and now I lost 10 lbs). Bad food is addicting and lack of results is very de-motivating. When that progress is disrupted because of misinformed food choices, that makes the whole process very hard.

I understand what you're saying and it's very possible that I take a lot of this stuff for granted. I spend a lot of time researching it because I find it interesting and practical. (I've improved my allergies, body composition, and overall health over the last few years largely by adjusting/improving my nutrition)

On a very basic level, I think everyone knows that calories out>calories in=weight loss. I agree that people get confused by marketing into believing they are reducing their calories when they really are not. That part can be frustrating, but the info is out there just waiting to be read. Also, I used Big Mac as an example because I thought we were talking about fast food. I really don't think anyone thinks their fast food is going to help them get healthy.

chiefzilla1501 10-31-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10144936)
It's not about seasoning. I was talking about the crap that gets fed to the cattle. I have to warn you, if you start reading about this stuff, you'll probably change the way you think about food.

Agreed. I've read about a lot of this stuff. Which again gets back to the point... even when we think we know what we're eating, we don't. Unless we raise our own cattle, we are horribly misinformed. So even if fast food is gross, consumers still have the right to know what goes into their food. Even if pink slime is harmless, consumers have a right to know it's in there and how much. As a classic case of how ****ed up labeling is, beef producers are allowed to claim beef as 100% beef, even if there's a significant amount of pink slime in there. Again, whether you like pink slime or not, you have a right to know if it's there. And our loose regulations enable that.

Quote:

I understand what you're saying and it's very possible that I take a lot of this stuff for granted. I spend a lot of time researching it because I find it interesting and practical. (I've improved my allergies, body composition, and overall health over the last few years largely by adjusting/improving my nutrition)

On a very basic level, I think everyone knows that calories out>calories in=weight loss. I agree that people get confused by marketing into believing they are reducing their calories when they really are not. That part can be frustrating, but the info is out there just waiting to be read. Also, I used Big Mac as an example because I thought we were talking about fast food. I really don't think anyone thinks their fast food is going to help them get healthy.
:thumb: On the same page