ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Will Ferrell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119233)

Logical 07-09-2005 06:31 PM

Will Ferrell

Decent to Great comic actor

Horrible fucking serious actor.

One of my daughters wanted to see it and I went with her today to see Bewitched. When he was trying to be funny he did a good to great job when he was in the portions of the film that attempt to be serious man was he horrible I mean putrid. This always seems to be the case.

Anybody think of any exceptions.

Rain Man 07-09-2005 06:33 PM

I think Robin Williams has been able to make the leap. I haven't always liked his movies, and he's far better being funny, but he's not necessarily a bad actor.

I can see Will Ferrell not making that leap, though.

Ultra Peanut 07-09-2005 06:35 PM

I think he meant exceptions in the case of Ferrell, not comedy-to-drama success stories in general. There are lots of those, and in fact, it seems to be the more predominant path taken when it comes to actors crossing over and succeeding.

Also, if "You're my boy, Blue... you're my boy" didn't rip your heart out, you're not human!

|Zach| 07-09-2005 06:37 PM

I think Ferrell's humor was so self depricating so often and that makes it a little tough to be serious because any other time he has been serious it has been in a funny manner to make fun of himself. I don't remember Robin William's stand up type stuff being like that.

I also have no desire to see bewitched.

whoman69 07-09-2005 06:40 PM

Coincidence that Ron Burgundy is on HBO now.

CoMoChief 07-09-2005 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachKC
I think Ferrell's humor was so self depricating so often and that makes it a little tough to be serious because any other time he has been serious it has been in a funny manner to make fun of himself. I don't remember Robin William's stand up type stuff being like that.

I also have no desire to see bewitched.

Yeah well....................YOU SUCK!!!!

Demonpenz 07-09-2005 06:53 PM

robin williams went to like a really big time acting school he was trained for on stage drama. I think he was doing the drama stuff before happy days

Demonpenz 07-09-2005 06:54 PM

i thought jim carrey was good in enternal sunshine

luv 07-09-2005 07:02 PM

Tom Hanks started out in stand-up comedy. He definitely was successful in crossing over to drama. As for Will, he's yet to make a movie that hasn't, in some ways, reminded me of SNL skits.

gblowfish 07-09-2005 07:03 PM

He should stick to imitating Neil Diamond.

Or playing more cowbell.

He IS the best at doing George W.

Drama? Not so much...

the Talking Can 07-09-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
Decent to Great comic actor

Horrible fucking serious actor.

One of my daughters wanted to see it and I went with her today to see Bewitched. When he was trying to be funny he did a good to great job when he was in the portions of the film that attempt to be serious man was he horrible I mean putrid. This always seems to be the case.

Anybody think of any exceptions.

yeah, Ferrell is great at what he does...but he'll never cross over, at least I hope he doesn't think he can

I don't like Carey either when he attempts drama..except Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, as someone else mentioned...a great movie and Ferrell could never pull something like that off

Ultra Peanut 07-09-2005 07:27 PM

Carrey was also very good in Man on the Moon.

jAZ 07-09-2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I think Robin Williams has been able to make the leap. I haven't always liked his movies, and he's far better being funny, but he's not necessarily a bad actor.

I can see Will Ferrell not making that leap, though.

Robin Williams trained at Julliard. He sorta backed into the comedy thing which made him famous.

There are some pretty great comedians/comic actors who were able to make the switch to dramatic actors very successfully...

Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society, The Fisher King, Hamlet, Good Will Hunting, Insomnia, One Hour Photo)

Tom Hanks (Punchline, Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, Cast Away ... and on and on.)

Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Rushmore, etc)

Jim Carrey (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Majestic)

Will Smith (Ali)

Jamie Foxx (Ali, Ray, Collateral)

Adam Sandler (Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish)

John Travolta (Pulp Fiction, A Civil Action, The Thin Red Line)

Woody Harrelson (The People vs. Larry Flynt, Indecent Proposal, Natural Born Killers)

John Cusack (Runaway Jury, The Thin Red Line, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Grifters)

KCChiefsMan 07-09-2005 07:49 PM

I think you can add Eddie Murphy to that list. Distinguished gentleman, 48 hrs, there are some others but they may not have been labeled as dramas but close enough..

Ultra Peanut 07-09-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Jamie Foxx (Ali, Ray, Collateral)
Probably the most surprising breakout star ever, at least to me. If you'd told me a few years ago that JAMIE FRICKING FOXX was about to become a big star, I'd have told you to go away and stop ****ing around.