ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft QB measurements at the combine (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270285)

Fat Elvis 02-22-2013 02:53 PM

QB measurements at the combine

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/2...s-quarterbacks

Check 'em out at the link; I'm too lazy to format.

B14ckmon 02-22-2013 02:54 PM

Chiefs will draft Vandy sometime in the later rounds out of principle.

Dante84 02-22-2013 02:59 PM

Player School Height Weight Hand Size
Matt Barkley USC 6-3 227 10.08
Tyler Bray Tennessee 6-6 232 9.28
Colby Cameron Louisiana Tech 6-2 212 9.08
Zac Dysert Miami of Ohio 6-3 231 9.18
Mike Glennon N.C. State 6-7 225 9.58
Marqueis Gray Minnesota 6-3 240 9.78
Landry Jones Oklahoma 6-4 225 9.18
Collin Klein Kansas State 6-5 226 9.28
E.J. Manuel Florida State 6-5 237 10.38
Ryan Nassib Syracuse 6-2 227 10.18
Sean Renfree Duke 6-3 219 9.08
Matt Scott Arizona 6-2 213 9.08
Geno Smith West Virginia 6-2 218 9.28
Brad Sorensen Southern Utah 6-4 237
James Vandenberg Iowa 6-3 226 9.68
Tyler Wilson Arkansas 6-2 215

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:03 PM

Good day for Matt Barkley; huge hands and he measured firmly in the 'fine' height.

Everyone else was pretty expected. Geno's hands are a little smaller than I'd hoped; also lighter.

I really do wish that Barkley would've thrown at this thing.

And again, I know guys hate EJ Manuel, but damn he's a specimen. That's a perfect build, IMO.

htismaqe 02-22-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426026)
Good day for Matt Barkley; huge hands and he measured firmly in the 'fine' height.

Everyone else was pretty expected. Geno's hands are a little smaller than I'd hoped; also lighter.

And again, I know guys hate EJ Manuel, but damn he's a specimen. That's a perfect build, IMO.

I'm surprised Wilson is actually THINNER than Smith.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426026)

Biggest thing with him, is that he goes back to your old accuracy grading scale.

-King- 02-22-2013 03:16 PM

Wow, Wilson went from 8" hands to not having hands at all.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:18 PM

Yeah, you wouldn't want to run a pure WC system with him. He's never going to be a really precise passer.

But if you could build a downfield passing game with some read-option elements in it, you could have a heck of a weapon. It would have to be an unconventional attack and he definitely has warts, but his accuracy will play, IMO.

He's one of those guys that you get in trouble by drafting high. So many talents and there are a lot of good things about him, but the two bad things are really the worst ones - accuracy and ability to pick up an offense. I don't know that he can/can't do it, but he hasn't been asked to yet so that's certainly a red flag.

saphojunkie 02-22-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9426060)
Wow, Wilson went from 8" hands to not having hands at all.

LMAO

O.city 02-22-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426068)
Yeah, you wouldn't want to run a pure WC system with him. He's never going to be a really precise passer.

But if you could build a downfield passing game with some read-option elements in it, you could have a heck of a weapon. It would have to be an unconventional attack and he definitely has warts, but his accuracy will play, IMO.

He's one of those guys that you get in trouble by drafting high. So many talents and there are a lot of good things about him, but the two bad things are really the worst ones - accuracy and ability to pick up an offense. I don't know that he can/can't do it, but he hasn't been asked to yet so that's certainly a red flag.

I'm just not about non accurate QB's anymore after what we've seen the last few. I know you can't go to the opposite end of the spectrum and yes, he has some good tools, but man, he's got alot of rough edges too.

If Reid wants to run the system he's always ran, I'm not sure he has the accuracy to do it.

DeezNutz 02-22-2013 03:26 PM

Barkley is the single most undervalued QB in this draft. Such nonsense being thrown around about him being worth only a second-round grade.

Starts, system experience, intangibles, physical skill set...it's all there. Not going to be surprised at all if he's the Chiefs QB this fall.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426078)
I'm just not about non accurate QB's anymore after what we've seen the last few. I know you can't go to the opposite end of the spectrum and yes, he has some good tools, but man, he's got alot of rough edges too.

If Reid wants to run the system he's always ran, I'm not sure he has the accuracy to do it.

This is probably true.

Manuel's not a good fit for Reid's system as we know it. That said, the way he tweaked it for Vick (use your legs to create space downfield - bombs away) could certainly fit EJ.

We'd need to do a lot of work on the WR corp, though. Bowe is a good start, but we'd need a Harvin or Maclin to spread defenses downfield.

The simplest, safest answers are Geno, Barkley, Wilson (in that order, IMO); but an extremely ballsy alternative would be trading down with Philly, picking up another freak of nature like Floyd to play alongside Poe and grabbing Manuel.

I don't have the cajones to try it because that's the kind of boom/bust draft that could get you fired, but if it all worked out, it could be !@#$ing unbelievable.

saphojunkie 02-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9426084)
Barkley is the single most undervalued QB in this draft. Such nonsense being thrown around about him being worth only a second-round grade.

Starts, system experience, intangibles, physical skill set...it's all there. Not going to be surprised at all if he's the Chiefs QB this fall.

I know it's illogical, I really know that. But I just am sick at having another #7 USC quarterback named Matt.

I KNOW IT'S ILLOGICAL.

Deberg_1990 02-22-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

I thought he was projected to go top 5 or 10 last year if he would have come out? Why did he fall?

Iowanian 02-22-2013 03:31 PM

If anyone this side of the CFL drafts James Vendenberg they should have their chromosome pairs counted and accredited physician.

mcaj22 02-22-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9426093)
I thought he was projected to go top 5 or 10 last year if he would have come out? Why did he fall?

did you not watch any college football the last 6 months?

B14ckmon 02-22-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9426093)

He was a potential #1.

USC was overrated to begin the season, and became a hot mess.

I blame that ****tard Kiffin.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426088)
This is probably true.

Manuel's not a good fit for Reid's system as we know it. That said, the way he tweaked it for Vick (use your legs to create space downfield - bombs away) could certainly fit EJ.

We'd need to do a lot of work on the WR corp, though. Bowe is a good start, but we'd need a Harvin or Maclin to spread defenses downfield.

The simplest, safest answers are Geno, Barkley, Wilson (in that order, IMO); but an extremely ballsy alternative would be trading down with Philly, picking up another freak of nature like Floyd to play alongside Poe and grabbing Manuel.

I don't have the cajones to try it because that's the kind of boom/bust draft that could get you fired, but if it all worked out, it could be !@#$ing unbelievable.

Well, you could get a good start on that at WR in this draft, few pretty good burners and Floyd is absolutely a monster. Hell, some have advocated for taking Richardson at 1, but there is no way I'd do that.

In that situation, who would Philly be trading up for?

mcaj22 02-22-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426106)
Well, you could get a good start on that at WR in this draft, few pretty good burners and Floyd is absolutely a monster. Hell, some have advocated for taking Richardson at 1, but there is no way I'd do that.

Philly would be trading up for Geno Smith

O.city 02-22-2013 03:39 PM

Another thing to think about, ie the trade back into the first scenario. I'd say teams have a pretty good idea that we have a shithole crater at Qb and are going to be looking for one in the draft.

Passing on one at 1 and hoping to trade back into the first if a run on QB's happen is a recipe for getting ass raped on a trade back up. Teams will know we are desperate to get back up to that spot to get our guy, could end up costing more than we thought.

With this draft having alot of depth at spots we need, could backfire.

DeezNutz 02-22-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9426089)
I know it's illogical, I really know that. But I just am sick at having another #7 USC quarterback named Matt.

I KNOW IT'S ILLOGICAL.

I know what you're saying, and this is exactly why he's not a popular prospect with Chiefs fans. It doesn't make sense, but then again it does in some ways.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426106)

Geno.

Guys talked about that Giants pass-rush in hushed tones last season, but if the Chiefs had Sharrif Floyd and Dontari Poe pushing as 1-gaps and Houston/Hali attacking...damn, that would be filthy.

But it would all likely be for naught if you Manuel couldn't do the job (oh, and Floyd is a pretty raw prospect in his own right).

It's just interesting to think about. It's probably not smart, but you can only say "Draft Geno" so many time before you start looking for other stuff to talk about...

htismaqe 02-22-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426113)
Another thing to think about, ie the trade back into the first scenario. I'd say teams have a pretty good idea that we have a shithole crater at Qb and are going to be looking for one in the draft.

Passing on one at 1 and hoping to trade back into the first if a run on QB's happen is a recipe for getting ass raped on a trade back up. Teams will know we are desperate to get back up to that spot to get our guy, could end up costing more than we thought.

:clap::clap::clap:

suds79 02-22-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

tangibles, physical skill set...it's all there. Not going to be surprised at all if he's the Chiefs QB this fall.

Uh I don't know about ALL the physical skill sets. His arm is only average IMO but I can admit it's not everything. Although a huge plus.

Other then that, yeah he has a lot of what you're looking for.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426120)
Geno.

Guys talked about that Giants pass-rush in hushed tones last season, but if the Chiefs had Sharrif Floyd and Dontari Poe pushing as 1-gaps and Houston/Hali attacking...damn, that would be filthy.

But it would all likely be for naught if you Manuel couldn't do the job (oh, and Floyd is a pretty raw prospect in his own right).

It's just interesting to think about. It's probably not smart, but you can only say "Draft Geno" so many time before you start looking for other stuff to talk about...

I'll admit, after whats gone down in the past few years, I'm pretty jaded on taking a DL that early. I would much much rather get one of those guys in free agency or later in the draft. There are actually some interesting guys in free agency DL wise.

I know Floyd has alot of upside etc, but it is what it is.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9426121)
:clap::clap::clap:

Its a risk I would be willing to take if Clowney was sitting there at 1. Without blinking actually.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426113)

No question.

It could go really poorly.

Like I said, I don't think I'd have the juevos to try it, but it's an intriguing thought. What if you could get the Eagles to send Foles and Maclin as the trade down? No picks, just Foles and Maclin. You get your WR for the deep game, you get your 'fallback' QB in Foles and you don't have to worry quite as badly about getting raped in a tradeup for Manuel; either he falls to you or he doesn't. Worst case scenario is you have a different strong-armed passer in Foles to roll with. Best case is you end up with two aggressive downfield passers, a WR that helps you make that offense go and 2 of the most impressive physical specimens in the league on the same D-Line.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426134)
No question.

Like I said, I don't think I'd have the juevos to try it, but it's an intriguing thought. What if you could get the Eagles to send Foles and Maclin as the trade down? No picks, just Foles and Maclin. You get your WR for the deep game, you get your 'fallback' QB in Foles and you don't have to worry quite as badly about getting raped in a tradeup for Manuel; either he falls to you or he doesn't. Worst case scenario is you have a different strong-armed passer in Foles to roll with. Best case is you end up with two aggressive downfield passers, a WR that helps you make that offense go and 2 of the most impressive physical specimens in the league on the same D-Line.

Thats a different situation all together then. I don't think they would ever do that, but yeah, I'd probably take my chances there.

I could potentially come out of the first 2 picks with Floyd, Foles, Maclin and Manuel? Yeah, I'd pull that trigger.

Although, I think if they make the move for Foles, they probably wouldn't look at another QB that early.

htismaqe 02-22-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

No question.

That would definitely be interesting.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:54 PM

Problem with Foles is that we've seen that he isn't a very good down field passer to this point.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426140)
Thats a different situation all together then. I don't think they would ever do that, but yeah, I'd probably take my chances there.

I could potentially come out of the first 2 picks with Floyd, Foles, Maclin and Manuel? Yeah, I'd pull that trigger.

Although, I think if they make the move for Foles, they probably wouldn't look at another QB that early.

If Chip Kelly likes Geno, I think he'd gladly surrender 1 year of Maclin and a 4th round QB with limited mobility for him.

Granted, it depends on the Eagles really liking Geno (and the Raiders not taking Floyd at #3), but it sure seems feasible to me.

Easiest route would be to take Geno at 1.1 and if the Eagles like him enough to come to us, and Floyd is still at 4, you have 15 minutes (IIRC) to get the deal done.

And suddenly we've had the most interesting draft the team has ever had, IMO.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426151)
Problem with Foles is that we've seen that he isn't a very good down field passer to this point.

The good news is that Bowe and Maclin are both outstanding at adjusting to the ball in the air and going to get it.

DeSean Jackson isn't, but Bowe and Maclin have the strength and body control to take some of the rough edges off Foles if Foles can just learn to make balls catchable, if not balls-on.

O.city 02-22-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426155)
If Chip Kelly likes Geno, I think he'd gladly surrender 1 year of Maclin and a 4th round QB with limited mobility for him.

Granted, it depends on the Eagles really liking Geno (and the Raiders not taking Floyd at #3), but it sure seems feasible to me.

Easiest route would be to take Geno at 1.1 and if the Eagles like him enough to come to us, and Floyd is still at 4, you have 15 minutes (IIRC) to get the deal done.

And suddenly we've had the most interesting draft the team has ever had, IMO.

Yep.

Although I gotta say, I'd be extremely disappointed if we took a QB at 1, then traded him away. Would be fitting for the Chiefs fans though. :#:deevee:

TBH, if I'm the Chiefs knowing how QB needy I am and another team is willing to trade up for a QB, I probably re think my eval on said QB.

DeezNutz 02-22-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

No question.

Yeah, and the problem is that you end up with Manuel in that situation.

mcaj22 02-22-2013 03:59 PM

fans on this board would not be able to handle having the QB they wanted and then seeing a pick swap 3 picks later

O.city 02-22-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9426166)
fans on this board would not be able to handle having the QB they wanted and then seeing a pick swap 3 picks later

Pretty sure that would be the death blow for some. :D

SAUTO 02-22-2013 04:03 PM

We draft Geno and then trade him?

Lots of broken hearts right after pumping them up.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 02-22-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426161)
The good news is that Bowe and Maclin are both outstanding at adjusting to the ball in the air and going to get it.

DeSean Jackson isn't, but Bowe and Maclin have the strength and body control to take some of the rough edges off Foles if Foles can just learn to make balls catchable, if not balls-on.

Yeah, they are. I would probably rather make a move for Harvin, but thats not happening. Maclin would be a close second.

Brings me back to an earlier point, I'm pretty tired of watching QB's with less than stellar accuracy in KC. If you could sell me on a downfield system like Flacco and the Ravens have, I could get on board and we know that can win obviously.

We've talked about how Flacco and Eli aren't in teh elite class therefor you don't need one to win. That's true, they aren't in that class, but they played at an elite level in the playoffs leading their team to SB wins.

I don't think you necessarily need like you use to, an elite guy at QB ala Brady, Manning Brees Rodgers etc, but you need a QB who can play at an elite level at times.

SAUTO 02-22-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426169)
Pretty sure that would be the death blow for some. :D

Could be a suicide over that by some
Posted via Mobile Device

Setsuna 02-22-2013 04:05 PM

Dang Bray's got small hands. But he's only 5 pounds less than Manuel who I thought was a pretty big guy in general. Just think if he had bigger hands he'd be the QB in the draft with the strongest arm. :rolleyes:

And the black guy has the biggest hands. Go figure. :facepalm:

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9426165)
Yeah, and the problem is that you end up with Manuel in that situation.

If you have Manuel, you also have Foles.

Manuel gives you the Culpepper/Big Ben massive upside option, Foles gives you a tolerable fallback position if Manuel doesn't slide or doesn't develop.

Though I understand this scenario is completely unpalatable for folks that don't like Manuel. I'm just not in that group - I kinda like EJ.

DeezNutz 02-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426186)

Manuel gives you the Culpepper/Big Ben massive upside option, Foles gives you a tolerable fallback position if Manuel doesn't slide or doesn't develop.

Though I understand this scenario is completely unpalatable for folks that don't like Manuel. I'm just not in that group - I kinda like EJ.

I'd like to see us make a play for Foles, assuming the cost is realistic. We have to throw numbers at it, and I'd rather have Foles than Smith or Flynn.

But I want Smith or Barkley at the top of the draft.

BlackHelicopters 02-22-2013 04:08 PM

Manuel is a big dude.

O.city 02-22-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426186)

I can see the Manuel Big Ben comp, and being a pretty big fan of his I woudln't mind that.

But again, I'm not sure that they would fit into the offense Reid wants to run.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9426193)
I can see the Manuel Big Ben comp, and being a pretty big fan of his I woudln't mind that.

But again, I'm not sure that they would fit into the offense Reid wants to run.

It all depends on what we think he "wants to run".

Did he want to run the short/quick passing offense he ran during his early years in Philly or did he have to run it because he didn't have the downfield WRs?

Did he want to run the downfield, balls/bust offense he ran in Philly during his later years there or did he have to run it because Vick doesn't have the consistency to operate a short passing game.

He has two clearly different offenses that he's run with some success in the past. About the only constant has been his utilization of the runningback and it doesn't matter who's under center for that - Jamaal Charles is the evolutionary Brian Westbrook.

I'm just reluctant to cite 'his' offense at this point because frankly, he's done a lot of different stuff as a HC.

CoMoChief 02-22-2013 04:26 PM

People are slobbering on Geno Smith when he's smaller (or just as big at the most) than Brodie Croyle.

SAUTO 02-22-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9426232)
People are slobbering on Geno Smith when he's smaller (or just as big at the most) than Brodie Croyle.

size isn't everything. Croyle had already had multiple major injuries at this point
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city 02-22-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426208)
It all depends on what we think he "wants to run".

Did he want to run the short/quick passing offense he ran during his early years in Philly or did he have to run it because he didn't have the downfield WRs?

Did he want to run the downfield, balls/bust offense he ran in Philly during his later years there or did he have to run it because Vick doesn't have the consistency to operate a short passing game.

He has two clearly different offenses that he's run with some success in the past. About the only constant has been his utilization of the runningback and it doesn't matter who's under center for that - Jamaal Charles is the evolutionary Brian Westbrook.

I'm just reluctant to cite 'his' offense at this point because frankly, he's done a lot of different stuff as a HC.

Sure. He seems to do a great job putting his philosophy around the players he has. I'm just basing that on that he had the most success early.

I fully expect him to go with what we have and what he thinks they fit best with.

suds79 02-22-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9426192)
Manuel is a big dude.

Nice thing with Manuel is that I think you could mix in some read option and not have to worry about the injury option as much.

I like that offense for guys like Cam & Cap. Big QBs. Just not thinner QBs like RG3. Just depends on style.

htismaqe 02-22-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

ROFL

As if that has ANYTHING at all to do with it.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 04:40 PM

Kaepernick isn't a huge guy.

Cam's about the only guy in the league I'd be comfortable building an offense that has the read-option as a common thing. Manuel would be another if he can prove to be an NFL caliber passer as well.

EDIT: Well the height/weight for Kaepernick is comparable, but he sure doesn't look as thick as Manuel or Cam. The thing about Kapernick though is that he seems adept at not taking the big hit, so you can probably get by with that for awhile.

saphojunkie 02-22-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Brodie Croyle was an inch taller and fifteen pounds lighter at the combine. Quit being a dipshit.

DJ's left nut 02-22-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9426266)
Brodie Croyle was an inch taller and fifteen pounds lighter at the combine. Quit being a dipshit.

You may as well tell me to stop being white.

CoMo is a dipshit - period. There's really no way for him to just stop.

saphojunkie 02-22-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9426268)
You may as well tell me to stop being white.

CoMo is a dipshit - period. There's really no way for him to just stop.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NXH6vupM7gfCmr

CoMoChief 02-22-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9426251)
ROFL

As if that has ANYTHING at all to do with it.

of course it does.

Brodie didn't have 1oz of muscle on his body...which is why he was brittle.

CoMoChief 02-22-2013 05:04 PM

ROFL hilarious to see everyone's panties get twisted in a knot because of someone bad mouthing the holy QB prophet that is Geno Smith.

What's gonna be hilarious is when the Chiefs draft someone else at #1 or trade out of that pick and Geno goes elsewhere and this place melts the **** down.

DeezNutz 02-22-2013 05:04 PM

I agree that the bigger the individual, the more likely he'll be to sustain the physicality of playing in the league.

Barkley passes that test already. Smith, however, has the frame that he could easily add an additional 15-20 pounds with the help of an NFL pharmacy.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9426089)

I KNOW IT'S ILLOGICAL.

We had a #7 USC TE named Matt, but never a QB.

htismaqe 02-22-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9426299)
of course it does.

Brodie had chronic problems with his knees dating all the way back to high school.

It absolutely doesn't and you're an idiot.

saphojunkie 02-22-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9426310)
We had a #7 USC TE named Matt, but never a QB.

Excellent point. And Matt Leinert was #7 in the pros, but not at USC.

That's it! That's the secret! They have to be #7 AT USC while actually playing QB!

Draft away, good sirs!

saphojunkie 02-22-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9426299)
of course it does.

You might have the lowest understanding of human anatomy in the history of the planet earth.

AustinChief 02-22-2013 07:20 PM

Damn, some of these guys have some small hands!

How does a guy who is 6'3" end up with 9 inch hands... that's like gnome sized.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9426590)
Damn, some of these guys have some small hands!

How does a guy who is 6'3" end up with 9 inch hands... that's like gnome sized.

I'm 6'2 and my hands are like 8.5". I can palm a basketball, but just barely.

AustinChief 02-22-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9426593)
I'm 6'2 and my hands are like 8.5". I can palm a basketball, but just barely.

Maybe I have a skewed perspective then cuz I don't feel like my hands are crazy big but they are 9.6" and I'm only 5'11" and some change.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9426606)
Maybe I have a skewed perspective then cuz I don't feel like my hands are crazy big but they are 9.6" and I'm only 5'11" and some change.

That's unusually large. Pretty sure the average hand size is like 7.5" or so.

AustinChief 02-22-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9426615)
That's unusually large. Pretty sure the average hand size is like 7.5" or so.

We are measuring from tip of pinky to tip of thumb right?

Like so...

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/.../hand-span.jpg

silver5liter 02-22-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9426621)

Like so...

No, I looked it up. Its tip of middle finger to bottom of hand, where it meets the wrist. These hands seem massive to me now lol

AustinChief 02-22-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9426624)
No, I looked it up. Its tip of middle finger to bottom of hand, where it meets the wrist. These hands seem massive to me now lol

No the NFL measures like the image I posted. According to multiple sources.

With the other measure I'm a paltry 8" dead on.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9426621)

Like so...

I always measured from the wrist to the tip of the middle finger.

I'm 9.75 by that version.

AustinChief 02-22-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9426631)

Ah, that isn't how the NFL measures. They measure HAND SPAN, which is pinky to thumb. Which makes infinitely more sense as a useful measure.

And now your size measures start to make a ton more sense to me. Your span is probably close to 10"

EDIT: ah I see now that yours are 9.75" That makes a ton more sense.

I knew my hands weren't freakishly big!

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 07:43 PM

Yeah, hand span makes a lot more sense as a functional measurement.

Aside: I have a friend who has some of the largest hands I've ever seen; it's like he has a bunch of bananas attached to his wrist. He's 6'3 but he wears size 9 tennis shoes.

suds79 02-22-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9426631)

I'm 9.75 by that version.

5'11. 9 inches for me.

Based on my experiences on throwing a football, I can see how large hands could help a lot in spinning it.

AustinChief 02-22-2013 07:45 PM

ok now that we resolved that... doesn't it seem like some of these QBs have freakish gnome hands? 9.08" WTF?

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 07:50 PM

I don't even feel comfortable throwing a football with my hands. I never feel like I can get on top of it. Can't imagine with hands almost an inch smaller.

BossChief 02-22-2013 07:55 PM

Damn, I had never measured my hand before. I'm 6-3 and have 10 1/3" hands.

I can spin it, too.

Edit: 8 1/2" from wrist to tip of middle finger.

silver5liter 02-22-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9426642)
ok now that we resolved that... doesn't it seem like some of these QBs have freakish gnome hands? 9.08" WTF?

Still think you're wrong. Almost positive its base of hand to tip of middle

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-22-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9426658)
Damn, I had never measured my hand before. I'm 6-3 and have 10 1/3" hands.

I can spin it, too.

Edit: 8 1/2" for wrist to tip of middle finger.

I'm probably one of the few people on Earth who has measured his hands more than his dick.

When I was younger I used PING's online fitting app all the time.

silver5liter 02-22-2013 08:03 PM

Calvin Johnson has 9.3" hands.. you can't tell me that's tip of thumb to tip of pinky

-King- 02-22-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9426639)
Yeah, hand span makes a lot more sense as a functional measurement.

Aside: I have a friend who has some of the largest hands I've ever seen; it's like he has a bunch of bananas attached to his wrist. He's 6'3 but he wears size 9 tennis shoes.

ROFLROFL Try to picture that without laughing.

Hootie 02-22-2013 08:08 PM

ok so how do you measure your hands? from what to what?