ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Patriots-Giants: Largest TV audience for NFL regular season game SINCE... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=177892)

FloridaMan88 01-02-2008 10:43 AM

Patriots-Giants: Largest TV audience for NFL regular season game SINCE...

....the Chiefs-Cowboys game on Thanksgiving back in 1995. 34.5 million watched the Patriots-Giants this past Saturday, 35.7 watched the Chiefs-Cowboys back in 1995.

I guess the nation was intrigued by the Dale Carter at WR experiment that game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

Frazod 01-02-2008 10:50 AM

I remember that game. I was at my best friend's wife's grandparents house, and had to maintain my composure while Dallas kicked the shit out of us. :#

Deberg_1990 01-02-2008 11:03 AM

IM shocked that we played in a game rated that high??

But i guess at the time that game was highly touted as a possible "Super Bowl Preview" LMAO

The only decent Chiefs play i remember was Lake Dawson had a nice catch and TD run over the middle. Probably the best catch he ever had.

We actually played in back to back Thanksgiving day games in 95 and 96 in Detroit.

alpha_omega 01-02-2008 11:11 AM

Yep...i remember that as well....too bad we didn't win.

sedated 01-02-2008 11:21 AM

That turkey day game was huge.

They got off to a good start, but we started to come back until Bono got sacked and fumbled (if memory serves me correctly)

Amnorix 01-02-2008 11:34 AM

Not that it's highly relevant to this thread, but the fact that Detroit and Dallas annually host a Turkey Day game is a huge, huge advantage to them and a disadvantage to their opponent.

Screw tradition, it's unfair. They should rotate the games around.

Adept Havelock 01-02-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
I remember that game. I was at my best friend's wife's grandparents house, and had to maintain my composure while Dallas kicked the shit out of us. :#

Yeah, I remember Irvin got Dale Carter to blow up and draw several PI and a couple of PF's that game.

IIRC, in his last year for us, Dale did something that made me proud. We were playing the Cowboys...he waited for the right moment and lit into Irvin with a clean shot that knocked him out of the game. :D

ChiefsCountry 01-02-2008 11:57 AM

We were the best two teams in the NFL at that time and it was on Thanksgiving Day. That is why it was so highly rated.

jjchieffan 01-02-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
Not that it's highly relevant to this thread, but the fact that Detroit and Dallas annually host a Turkey Day game is a huge, huge advantage to them and a disadvantage to their opponent.

You are preaching to the choir. The Chiefs have been fighting tio change that BS for years. It was because of Lamar, in fact, that the NFL created the third game. Hardly a fair compromise. But I am sure that as long as Jerry Jones has any say, it ain't gonna change.

Stewie 01-02-2008 12:04 PM

I drove down for that game. Yes, Bono's fumble was the nail in the coffin. Jay Novacek (sp?) also made a big catch and run that was crucial.

Amnorix 01-02-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan
You are preaching to the choir. The Chiefs have been fighting tio change that BS for years. It was because of Lamar, in fact, that the NFL created the third game. Hardly a fair compromise. But I am sure that as long as Jerry Jones has any say, it ain't gonna change.

You're probably right.

I have no skin in that game. Detroit and Dallas don't affect Pats or Chiefs much, due ot the AFC/NFC thing. But if I were a team in their division I'd scream bloody murder.

jagerdrinker 01-02-2008 02:07 PM

That Novacek catch was a killer. Who was the defensive player that he effectively hurdled? Anyone?

Hydrae 01-02-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

You're probably right.

I have no skin in that game. Detroit and Dallas don't affect Pats or Chiefs much, due ot the AFC/NFC thing. But if I were a team in their division I'd scream bloody murder.

That is an interesting point that both of the host teams are NFC teams. Do these games pre-date the merger?

Hydrae 01-02-2008 02:31 PM

I think it is interesting that this game was shown on 3 networks and still barely had more viewers than that game of ours. And with an undefeated season on the line too. Under those circumstances, I am not sure this is a win for the league.

ROYC75 01-02-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Most coaches hate them ........ playing on a very short week.