ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Magic Mike (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260897)

luv 06-29-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8709605)
What, exactly, is the problem with a straight man being uncomfortable watching another man take his clothes off for the sole purpose of titillating?
We're not talking about the Michelangelo statue of David here. We're talking about men, in leather, grinding the air to turn someone on. Those are two entirely different things.

He's saying that there's more to the movie than that, and that, just because there are men stripping in it, doesn't mean a guy shouldn't go see it. I'm not sure how on earth you keep complicating this.

Fire Me Boy! 06-29-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8709656)
He's saying that there's more to the movie than that, and that, just because there are men stripping in it, doesn't mean a guy shouldn't go see it. I'm not sure how on earth you keep complicating this.

luv, Micjones. Micjones, luv.

Now you've met.

Micjones 06-29-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8709651)
I agree with the bolded sentence. I have all along in this thread, actually.

Note that my initial response to Laz was mostly about why there might be an angle of interest for straight men to see the film. My line about being weirded-out was not even the focus of that post. Later, I posted about how I object to guys feeling creeped out by the subject matter, but how I don't object to guys meeting the film with a lack of interest.

If this movie were just strip routines then I'd have no interest in it either. To repeat, I'm not challenging the sexuality of people who don't feel like they'd be entertained by this movie. I do really think, though, that uncomfortability is a strange reaction to a male character in a film doing a gyration. Boredom seems like the more reasonable response.

My posting history on this board with respect to LGBTQ issues is well-known; people who have anti-gay politics, even because of their faith, piss me off. I do get upset when men express discomfort with anything that could possibly shaded as queer, so I like to call out irrational uncomfortability with such situations. I do sincerely think that any straight men should be able to watch this film without mental discomfort, just as I think that any reasonable person should be able to entertain and consider an idea that they don't agree with.

But by no means is this movie some kind of required test to prove one's straightness. I have never insinuated that.

I prefer not to dive headlong into a debate about LGBT acceptance or legitimacy. That's a debate neither of us currently has time for.

I think you took a jab at the men who seem to be uncomfortable about the idea of this film when you suggested they have "issues".
That's a quick way to make any such conversation confrontational.

You can't on the one hand tout your comfort level with seeing such a film as a badge of honor while you simultaneous sew a scarlet letter on the chest of the men who'd rather not see it. That seems...well...elitist.

I think the best way to get to the other side of the bridge is to recognize and respect the fact that "each is his own."

Micjones 06-29-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8709656)

I'm not complicating anything.
The fact that the film will obviously contain other situations was never up for debate.
And that's a clever way to move the goalposts.
The question stands.

And, please, let's not pretend that male stripping isn't part and parcel of the film's premise.

Lastly, Reaper (and don't misread this) can't be the arbiter of whether or not my reasons are legitimate/illegitimate. That's for me to decide.

The point is simply, if it's okay for him to see, it's okay for me to abstain.
And we walk away reading nothing into either of those decisions.

luv 06-29-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8709678)
I'm not complicating anything.
The fact that the film will obviously contain other situations was never up for debate.
And that's a clever way to move the goalposts.
The question stands.

And, please, let's not pretend that male stripping isn't part and parcel of the film's premise.

I'm guessing you're a regular in DC, aren't you?

Micjones 06-29-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8709711)
I'm guessing you're a regular in DC, aren't you?

You'd be wrong about that.

luv 06-29-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8709719)
You'd be wrong about that.

Ah, my bad. They like to pick apart and debate every aspect of what everyone says.

Reaper16 06-29-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8709670)
I think you took a jab at the men who seem to be uncomfortable about the idea of this film when you suggested they have "issues".
That's a quick way to make any such conversation confrontational.

It was/is confrontational. I would very much like to confront any guy who is grossed out by male strippers (but not grossed out by female strippers). They definitely have issues of some kind. Preferably, those issues would be aspects of their sexuality that they have a hard time accepting. But the issues, most likely, are that the person is just a terrible human being.

Micjones 06-29-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8709777)
It was/is confrontational. I would very much like to confront any guy who is grossed out by male strippers (but not grossed out by female strippers).

Sexual orientation be damned? That's asinine.
This is an entirely emotional argument you're making.

Quote:

They definitely have issues of some kind. Preferably, those issues would be aspects of their sexuality that they have a hard time accepting. But the issues, most likely, are that the person is just a terrible human being.
That's my cue.
Good day sir.

Fire Me Boy! 06-29-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8709777)
It was/is confrontational. I would very much like to confront any guy who is grossed out by male strippers (but not grossed out by female strippers). They definitely have issues of some kind. Preferably, those issues would be aspects of their sexuality that they have a hard time accepting. But the issues, most likely, are that the person is just a terrible human being.

Let's call this a rain check. ROFL

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1...01233437pm.jpg

Micjones 06-29-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 8709749)
Ah, my bad. They like to pick apart and debate every aspect of what everyone says.

I'm analytical. Sorry.

OnTheWarpath15 06-29-2012 02:45 PM

It "stars" Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey.

Reason enough not to spend money to see it.

Micjones 06-29-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8709825)
It "stars" Channing Tatum and Matthew McConaughey.

Reason enough not to spend money to see it.

McConaughey's got chops. Tatum? Not so much.

Reaper16 06-29-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8709783)
Sexual orientation be damned? That's asinine.
This is an entirely emotional argument you're making.

You're damn right it's an emotional argument. I wear my Ally bias on my sleeve.

Deberg_1990 06-29-2012 07:53 PM

I guess stealing dance moves is a really huge no no in the stripping community and really bad form?

Channing Tatum Denies He Stole 'Magic Mike' Stripper Moves

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168...stripper.jhtml

Channing Tatum is reacting to a group of male dancers who allege that the actor quite literally stole their moves for his new movie, "Magic Mike," which takes place in the shirtless world of male strippers.

Two male dancers, Thomas "Awesome" Austin and London Steele, who danced with Tatum while he was a stripper in Florida, told TMZ last week that the experiences in the film, and even Tatum's character's name (Magic Mike), are all their own. Austin told the website, "He only danced for four months. How many events could have happened to him?" He added that even Tatum's move in the film, the Hot Seat, is all his own

Director Steven Soderbergh has said that the film is loosely based on Tatum's experiences as a male dancer. And in a new interview, Tatum is opening up about the claims against him.

"Those guys have been trying to make money off of me since I got into this business," Tatum told reporters, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "Look, there's nothing that's factual in this whole movie other than that I was an 18-year-old kid and went into this world and I dropped out of college from playing football and was living on my sister's couch. There's not one character that I took from my real life; this is just a world that I went into, and I had a perspective on. And we created everything from a fictional place."

"Magic Mike" opens Friday, and Tatum is going into opening week with no ill will for his former co-workers. "I don't want to say anything bad about them because they're part of the reason why I think this world is so interesting," he said. "They're very interesting, intriguing and bizarre characters, and I'm thankful for weird people out there. They're some of the most creative people."

The June 29 film release also stars "True Blood" actor Joe Manganiello, "White Collar" star Matt Bomer and Matthew McConaughey.

In an interview with MTV News, Tatum recalled how the film came out of a conversation he had with Soderbergh. "I was having a beer with Soderbergh — we were doing a movie together — and I told him about [my past stripping]," he said. "I'd been doing it for eight months of my life when I was, like, 18 or 19, and he said, 'We gotta make a movie out of that.' And I was like, 'Why? Why do we need to do that?' And he said, 'I've never seen that world on film before.' And then we really started talking about that, and we thought it would be really hilarious but still grounded in reality."