ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ trade for Cassel puts Thigpen in backup role (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203446)

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-01-2009 07:33 PM

I can't believe there still people on god's green monkey farm who REALLY believe that Croyle is still a part of this team.

Utterly baffling.

blueballs 03-01-2009 07:35 PM

3rd string is for development
Gray is all he can be
hell they may not even carry a #3

chiefzilla1501 03-01-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5544847)
There were a couple of guys that said they wish we'd have given Thigpen another year.

Had we moved in the direction of Sanchez, yes, I believe Thigpen should have started in 2009. Largely because I don't like starting rookie QBs from the get-go and I especially don't think either Sanchez or Stafford are going to be immediately NFL-ready. However, I think myself and most people in this school believed taht Thigpen would not only have to be good to keep his job, but Super Bowl calibre outstanding. Bringing in a more accomplished veteran QB changes the whole game.

That being said, I don't know why people are now so anxious to push Thigpen out the door. I like the guy and I think he's going to work his ass off to improve. I would love to see how this guy develops in a backup role. You can teach him the footwork and the mechanics. If Cassel fails, you can see if the new and improved Thigpen fares better. If Cassel gets injured, you have a competent QB in Thigpen who might be able to steal a win or two for you.

kcxiv 03-01-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5544847)
There were a couple of guys that said they wish we'd have given Thigpen another year.

I wouldnt have minded if they did, but i dont get all crazy like alot of people on here. I am willing to sit back and wait to see if their choices pan out or not before i jump the gun and pass judgement.

I did the same with Herm, i wasnt thrilled about getting him, but i was like, well he's our coach, i wish him well, but we learned fairly fast, that he just sucked.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-01-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 5544920)
Had we moved in the direction of Sanchez, yes, I believe Thigpen should have started in 2009. Largely because I don't like starting rookie QBs from the get-go and I especially don't think either Sanchez or Stafford are going to be immediately NFL-ready. However, I think myself and most people in this school believed taht Thigpen would not only have to be good to keep his job, but Super Bowl calibre outstanding. Bringing in a more accomplished veteran QB changes the whole game.

That being said, I don't know why people are now so anxious to push Thigpen out the door. I like the guy and I think he's going to work his ass off to improve. I would love to see how this guy develops in a backup role. You can teach him the footwork and the mechanics. If Cassel fails, you can see if the new and improved Thigpen fares better. If Cassel gets injured, you have a competent QB in Thigpen who might be able to steal a win or two for you.

I don't necessarily hate him, I just wanted him in his damned good and proper place.

And now he is.

DeezNutz 03-01-2009 07:43 PM

We might need to bring in another QB, to be honest, if Thigpen wets himself once removed from the water pistol.

chiefzilla1501 03-01-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5544934)
We might need to bring in another QB, to be honest, if Thigpen wets himself once removed from the water pistol.

I don't think it's a bad idea to bring in a veteran that would purely serve as a backup. Maybe even Leftwich is worth a look if he comes dirt cheap. Just a guy who can hold a clipboard and is perfectly comfortable knowing that he won't be the starter for your team, but who might be able to come in and take a few snaps if Cassel gets hurt for a few games in a playoff push.

RealSNR 03-01-2009 07:48 PM

Croyle proved plenty last season.

He proved that he can not be trusted in ANY role. Backup, starter, what have you.

What good are you to a team if you aren't healthy enough to play when called upon?

Yeah, it's unfortunate. He could have been good. But too bad.

DeezNutz 03-01-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 5544942)
I don't think it's a bad idea to bring in a veteran that would purely serve as a backup. Maybe even Leftwich is worth a look if he comes dirt cheap. Just a guy who can hold a clipboard and is perfectly comfortable knowing that he won't be the starter for your team, but who might be able to come in and take a few snaps if Cassel gets hurt for a few games in a playoff push.

We won't need to worry about a playoff push next year, but a vet. would make a good deal of sense.

Joey Harrington or Kitna might be good possibilities. Not sure if either has signed or been re-signed.

blueballs 03-01-2009 07:52 PM

They need a practice squad guy
I don't think anybody on the roster qualifies

DaKCMan AP 03-01-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5544954)
We won't need to worry about a playoff push next year, but a vet. would make a good deal of sense.

Joey Harrington or Kitna might be good possibilities. Not sure if either has signed or been re-signed.

Kitna was traded to Dallas.

DeezNutz 03-01-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 5544961)
Kitna was traded to Dallas.

Yes, that's right. Thank you.

And I need to check out the FA signings thread.

FAX 03-01-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 5544943)
Croyle proved plenty last season.

He proved that he can not be trusted in ANY role. Backup, starter, what have you.

What good are you to a team if you aren't healthy enough to play when called upon?

Yeah, it's unfortunate. He could have been good. But too bad.

Yep. On all counts, yep.

The story of Croyle is a sad, sad tale of woe and broken bones.

FAX

petegz28 03-01-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5544794)
I read the headline and immediately thought "Well.....duh...."

:LOL:

Nothing gets past Inspector Teicher. Nothing!

BigRichard 03-01-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5544816)
Where have all the Thigpen homers been the past couple of days??

Pretty much everyone that was wanting Thigpen also said he should be fighting for his job against someone else they brought in. None of the "homers" said he should just be given the starting spot. I don't think any of us "homers" expected them to bring in someone like Cassel.