ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music *** Reaper's Favorite Albums of 2014 *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289461)

-King- 12-29-2014 12:24 AM

Have you listened to Logic- Under Pressure or JColes new album yet?

Sannyasi 12-29-2014 01:09 AM

Did you listen to Open Mike Eagle's Dark Comedy? That was one of my favorite hip hop albums of the year

Molitoth 12-29-2014 09:39 AM

I should also add "Nothing More".

There are a couple of lame songs on the album, but production quality in itself is fantastic.

KC native 12-29-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11219778)
Pharaohe Monch: PTSD. I listened to this concept album quite a bit after it first dropped. There are some clunkers on here, but I found the whole album to be his most accessible and enjoyable offering from his catalog.

I loved PTSD and agree with this assessment.

Reaper16 12-29-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11226309)
Have you listened to Logic- Under Pressure or JColes new album yet?

J Cole's album was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I don't like it, really. But I don't dislike it, which is a huge step up in how I usually view Cole.

Logic's album is very good in a certain sense. But it's also just Kendrick worship to such an extreme point that it kind of pisses me off. I was craving originality every time I listened to that Logic album.

Reaper16 12-29-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sannyasi (Post 11226378)
Did you listen to Open Mike Eagle's Dark Comedy? That was one of my favorite hip hop albums of the year

No, I didn't. I think I will now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-29-2014 06:43 PM

I would just like to peak my head in to say that while I am not much of a music person, I am in awe of the depth of Reaper's knowledge of the art form.

Reaper knows metal better than I know my dick.

-King- 12-29-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 11227996)
J Cole's album was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I don't like it, really. But I don't dislike it, which is a huge step up in how I usually view Cole.

Logic's album is very good in a certain sense. But it's also just Kendrick worship to such an extreme point that it kind of pisses me off. I was craving originality every time I listened to that Logic album.

LMAO Thats exactly how I felt about the two. I really like Logics album, but yeah, all it is is a repackaged GKMC.

NewChief 12-30-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 11228501)
LMAO Thats exactly how I felt about the two. I really like Logics album, but yeah, all it is is a repackaged GKMC.

Couple of other rap and hip hop albums that I liked pretty well:

Wara from the NBHD, Kidnapped: I'd slept on this album, then I saw it on the Bitter Southerner's best of Southern Music 2014 list (great blog by the way). Jazzy, disconnected beats. Since we're making GKMC comparisons... this is kind of a southern version.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/De0DdeMawvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PRhyme, PRhyme: I'd also slept on this one until I saw it in a list. DJ Premier with Royce Da 5'9". It's old school east coast hip hop. Nothing original or inventive, but it's damned good. Lots of nice cameos as well.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1PrIX-CZVo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

clipping, CLPPING: Not sure that I like this whole album. It's a little bit of Death Grips a little bit of Flatbush Zombies. Noisy and disconcerting. It's a little unsettling. The track "Body & Blood" is pretty impressive, though.

Video is NSFW:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/97166268" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaper, thanks for the Ces Cru recommendation. I've been listening to that album non stop since you posted it up. Really good.

Sannyasi 12-30-2014 01:35 PM

CLPPNG was a very pleasant surprise for me. While I could appreciate what they were doing last year with their Midcity mixtape it wasn't really the type of thing I could come back to again and again. CLPPNG on the other hand is a lot more accessible while still retaining their sound. Its gotten a lot of play at the gym for me since it came out.

Pablo 12-30-2014 10:00 PM

Been jamming the **** out of some Sturgill Simpson the last couple of days.

Molitoth 12-31-2014 03:20 PM

My Revised List of albums I enjoyed this year, in no particular order:

Dream the Electric Sleep - Heretics
††† (Crosses) – ††† (Crosses)
Lesser Key – Lesser Key
Nothing More – Nothing More
Opeth – Pale Communion
The Contortionist – Language
Skyharbor - Guiding Lights
Machine Head – Bloodstone & Diamonds
Pink Floyd – The Endless River
Rishloo - Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth
Silence is a Virus - Imperial

Albums I still want to visit or revisit.

He Is Legend – Heavy Fruit
Death From Above 1979 – The Physical World
Wovenwar – Wovenwar
The Atlas Moth – The Old Believer
Pallbearer – Foundations of Burden
Chevelle – La Gárgola
Animals as Leaders – The Joy of Motion
St. Vincent – St. Vincent
Cynic – Kindly Bent to Free Us
Devin Townsend Project – Z˛

ModSocks 12-31-2014 03:39 PM

Gotta say, im pretty disappointed in the list this year. I come into this thread every year and am able to walk away with some new material to listen to, which is really nice since im not into the music scene at all.

This year.....im hard pressed to find something i like and have to force myself to find the positives in some of these selections.

ModSocks 12-31-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 11228870)
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/97166268" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do like this one though.

Reaper16 12-31-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 11232509)
Gotta say, im pretty disappointed in the list this year. I come into this thread every year and am able to walk away with some new material to listen to, which is really nice since im not into the music scene at all.

This year.....im hard pressed to find something i like and have to force myself to find the positives in some of these selections.

Try some recommendations from other posters in this thread too.

BTW - what were some albums in years past that you discovered through my annual list? I can try to recommend things based on that.