ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Making Jerky / Everything BBQ Tips Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276693)

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:04 PM

Making Jerky / Everything BBQ Tips Thread

Any of you guys make Beef Jerky? I have made a lot of wild game jerky over the years, but I have never had an end product that was what I would call fantastic. I have used about every cut of meat you can think of to make it with as well.

I have a buddy who makes the best jerky I have ever had, I'm taking not ever close. After six years, I finally talked him out of the recipe. I'm going to fire up the smoker Saturday and make some. I'm trying to figure out the best bang for the buck cut of meat to make this with. I know I want something with as little fat as possible. What cut do you guys use when you're making jerky? I was thinking top round?

I decided to expand this thread a bit and turn it into a BBQ tips and technique thread as well so people could share their tips, recipes, BBQ techniques or whatever floats your boat in the "Q" department.

KCUnited 09-26-2013 01:08 PM

I don't know about bang for buck as I get it with a half cow, but I've had success with top round.

Old Dog 09-26-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021677)
I was thinking top round?

that's what I normally use

Sorter 09-26-2013 01:10 PM

I'd slice off Thor's hand for some jerky.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:11 PM

I think Flank would work as well, but I could also see that turning out tough.

vailpass 09-26-2013 01:12 PM

no venison this time of year?

KC_Lee 09-26-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10021692)
I don't know about bang for buck as I get it with a half cow, but I've had success with top round.

Made a couple of batches of jerky and used top round as well.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10021710)
no venison this time of year?

Soon :thumb: I'm just fired up to make a batch, so I'm going to have to go with beef for right now. Elk and deer will be next.

vailpass 09-26-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021723)
Soon :thumb: I'm just fired up to make a batch, so I'm going to have to go with beef for right now. Elk and deer will be next.

Love me some venison jerky. Good luck with your beef batch.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10021731)
Love me some venison jerky. Good luck with your beef batch.

Thanks, I appreciate it. With this recipe, it would be hard to go wrong to be honest.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:22 PM

My buddy was also talking about a temp of 165 on the smoker when drying it, does that sound right?

Sorter 09-26-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021723)

Have not tried this but I think that will change relatively soon.

Thoughts on elk jerky?

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10021701)
I'd slice off Thor's hand for some jerky.

If I was going with something that tough, I would just use bull pecker. :)

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10021756)
Have not tried this but I think that will change relatively soon.

Thoughts on elk jerky?

A lot less fat than a cow, so you're off to a good start.

Sorter 09-26-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021761)

LMAO

vailpass 09-26-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021761)

Can we make a coozie out of that?
No, wait...

Sorter 09-26-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021767)
A lot less fat than a cow, so you're off to a good start.

I love venison. I'd assume it's similar but I feel that when making assumptions, I tend to err.

Sorce 09-26-2013 01:28 PM

I got some elk from my cousin a while back and made the steaks into jerky, it came out really good.

165 sounds about right to me you could probably a little higher or lower but stay in that ballpark and you'll be good.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10021770)
Can we make a coozie out of that?
No, wait...

Now that would be one hell of a conversation piece!

KCUnited 09-26-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021752)
My buddy was also talking about a temp of 165 on the smoker when drying it, does that sound right?

Sounds right. I try to stick around 160 but have gone over as my rig struggles maintaining lower temps over 2 hours.

WhawhaWhat 09-26-2013 01:32 PM

My brother tried this recipe from Alton Brown and it worked pretty well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Marinated meat that is dehydrated between air conditioner filters using a box fan.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10021774)
I love venison. I'd assume it's similar but I feel that when making assumptions, I tend to err.

Very close in the lean department.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorce (Post 10021789)
I got some elk from my cousin a while back and made the steaks into jerky, it came out really good.

165 sounds about right to me you could probably a little higher or lower but stay in that ballpark and you'll be good.

Perfect

How thick do you guys cut your strips?

Sorter 09-26-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021807)
Very close in the lean department.

http://thedailyprocrastinator.com/wp.../frogsmile.jpg

Excellent.

mike_b_284 09-26-2013 01:38 PM

My uncle makes great jerky, he just uses some black pepper, sometimes dips it in terriaki(sp?) and puts it in a convection oven on low with the door propped open until its dry.

Bwana 09-26-2013 01:39 PM

I haven't tried to make jerky for 20 years and it was always dried in the oven. It turned out from bad to so-so back then. Now that I have been smoking meat for years, I'm fired up to roll with this recipe. This same guy also makes some out of this world sausage, that's next on the to do list.

vailpass 09-26-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10021774)

I have buddies in Iowa and Colorado that fill a tag each year and share jerky. It is the stuff.

Sorter 09-26-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10021845)
I have buddies in Iowa and Colorado that fill a tag each year and share jerky. It is the stuff.

I might have to look into this.

jspchief 09-26-2013 01:47 PM

I just can't justify making beef jerky. When I factor in the cost of good meat to make good jerky, I realize that I can't do it better or cheaper than the people that package it.

jspchief 09-26-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10021845)

Yeah I've reached the point where I have my entire deer processed. Jerky, sticks, and summer suasage.

vailpass 09-26-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10021892)
Yeah I've reached the point where I have my entire deer processed. Jerky, sticks, and summer suasage.

Summer sausage. Hell yes.

mike_b_284 09-26-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10021883)
I just can't justify making beef jerky. When I factor in the cost of good meat to make good jerky, I realize that I can't do it better or cheaper than the people that package it.

But its a good way to get rid of all that "practice deer" meat

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...z6tIKtVIQLdspm

fan4ever 09-26-2013 01:55 PM

I'm on a low salt, low carb (sugar) diet and I came up with a marinade/coating recipe that makes great jerky if you like a "tangy" kind of spicy flavoring. Like one of the posts mentioned, it's not cheap to make your own jerky, but I can't buy jerky off the shelf...all of them have way to much sodium. If anyone's interested, I list the recipe.

DMAC 09-26-2013 01:57 PM

I use the propped open oven method. It usually turns out pretty damn good with top round.

What's the best way to preserve it?

fan4ever 09-26-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 10021950)
I use the propped open oven method. It usually turns out pretty damn good with top round.

What's the best way to preserve it?

Usually all the sodium helps with that...which reminds me, my jerky has to be refrigerated if you make a lot and want it to keep long.

J Diddy 09-26-2013 02:09 PM

I got a buddy who makes jerky every year for the float trip. He gets one of those flavor injecter guns and uses hamburger meat (lean) and I have to say it is amazing. He also uses a dehydrator.

brorth 09-26-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10021843)
I haven't tried to make jerky for 20 years and it was always dried in the oven. It turned out from bad to so-so back then. Now that I have been smoking meat for years, I'm fired up to roll with this recipe. This same guy also makes some out of this world sausage, that's next on the to do list.

I've used both the oven and the smoker. I swore after using my smoker that I would never "cheat" with the oven again. You know why so many recipes call for so much liquid smoke? It's because that's the only way oven guys get that "smoked flavor". Top round works fine, I try to slice mine 1/4"-3/8". I usually end up thicker, but that's not always bad.

If you have a hankerin' for beef jerky now, look here:
http://www.robertsons-hams.com/products/real-beef-jerky

This stuff is as close to my beef jerky as I've seen, and by that I mean kicks my jerky's ass to pieces. It's real man shit, for sure.
If you think Jack Link's make some good stuff, prepare to have your entire world shattered.

Bwana 09-26-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10021883)

Trust me, this isn't Jack Links when it's done. We do it for the same reason we make homemade Ice Cream. Sure you can run to the store and buy ice cream, but the taste is like night and day with homemade, jerky is the same way.

brorth 09-26-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10022043)
Trust me, this isn't Jack Links when it's done. We do it for the same reason we make homemade Ice Cream. Sure you can run to the store and buy ice cream, but the taste is like night and day with homemade, jerky is the same way.

Word.

Sorter 09-26-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10022043)

You're really making me want to run out and shoot a deer.

Fire Me Boy! 09-26-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

No, beef jerky should be dried, not cooked.

Play with the recipe, but the method Alton Brown employs is the best jerky I've ever had. Quoting WhawhaWhat's post for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10021806)

Marinated meat that is dehydrated between air conditioner filters using a box fan.

DMAC 09-26-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 10021966)
Usually all the sodium helps with that...which reminds me, my jerky has to be refrigerated if you make a lot and want it to keep long.

I make some before backpacking season and ziploc it with a silica packet. :shrug:

It seems to moisten up pretty quickly though.

Bwana 09-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brorth (Post 10022030)
I've used both the oven and the smoker. I swore after using my smoker that I would never "cheat" with the oven again. You know why so many recipes call for so much liquid smoke? It's because that's the only way oven guys get that "smoked flavor". Top round works fine, I try to slice mine 1/4"-3/8". I usually end up thicker, but that's not always bad.

If you have a hankerin' for beef jerky now, look here:
http://www.robertsons-hams.com/products/real-beef-jerky

This stuff is as close to my beef jerky as I've seen, and by that I mean kicks my jerky's ass to pieces. It's real man shit, for sure.
If you think Jack Link's make some good stuff, prepare to have your entire world shattered.

Good post

Bwana 09-26-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10022054)
You're really making me want to run out and shoot a deer.

Get it done. :)

http://www.whitetaildeerhuntinginfo....ail-deer-1.jpg

Sorter 09-26-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10022089)

I'm going to be driving around in about 3 hours, see one, and swerve across the interstate.

After crushing the virginianus, I'll be asked by officeers of the law "What in the sam hell were you thinking!!??"

I'll put on my David Caruso sunnies and look at them as I load the carcass into my vehicle, saying:

"Jerky".

Then I'll drive off away from the sunset.

gblowfish 09-26-2013 02:29 PM

I don't eat jerky very often. What store bought beef jerkey do you guys like the best? I tried some stuff from Colorado called Duke's. It was good, but expensive, like $6 a bag. Slim jims are a little too greasy for me.

Bwana 09-26-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10022113)
I don't eat jerky very often. What store bought beef jerkey do you guys like the best? I tried some stuff from Colorado called Duke's. It was good, but expensive, like $6 a bag. Slim jims are a little too greasy for me.

I don't blame you, those things are just nasty. On the fly for a fishing trip, I normally grab a bag a jack links, pepper. Im not a big fan of teriyaki.

Buehler445 09-26-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Mom uses a dehydrator and makes the best I've had ever.

Fire Me Boy! 09-26-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10022057)
No, beef jerky should be dried, not cooked.

Play with the recipe, but the method Alton Brown employs is the best jerky I've ever had. Quoting WhawhaWhat's post for the link.

If you're interested at all in the box fan dehydrator method, here's a decent thread on it: http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154216

Bwana 09-26-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10022134)
If you're interested at all in the box fan dehydrator method, here's a decent thread on it: http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154216

Some others may be, but I'm going the smoker route. Good thread though.

Fire Me Boy! 09-26-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10022143)
Some others may be, but I'm going the smoker route. Good thread though.

You could cold smoke, then dehydrate this way...

KCUnited 09-26-2013 02:38 PM

There was a brand around Kansas that I haven't seen in 20 years (I'm in Missouri now) called No Bull. Best leathery beef jerky I ever had. However, typing No Bull beef jerky into Google might be the most pointless thing ever.

Tombstone RJ 09-26-2013 02:44 PM

I'm demanding a gif with this thread... "I don't always eat beef jerky, but when I do I prefer...."

Pepe Silvia 09-26-2013 04:13 PM

Beef Jerky is the bomb.

BigOlChiefsfan 09-26-2013 04:17 PM

When I lived in Houston, I attended the Texas Cattle Feeder's Association annual dinner (we sold pricing data back before the internet). They had tubs of the best jerky I've ever tasted - one of the TCFA fellows made it every year just for their shindig.

I used to help a buddy cut up elk and deer for his jerky - he would butcher the meat a little differently than I was used to from cutting up pigs and so on, where we were using saws to cross cut across the grain. He'd take whole 'muscles' off the critter, cut off at each end, then lay the muscle out on the table, slice into about 1/3" above the table and just keep slicing - going 'with the grain'. When he got almost to the end of the meat he'd turn it over and keep doing the 1/3" cut until he 'unwrapped' the whole muscle. Wind up with a long string of thin cut meat from every muscle. Keep a couple of knives handy, and a butcher's steel.

mlyonsd 09-26-2013 04:35 PM

Some sort of roast from the round.

Bwana 09-26-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 10022433)
When I lived in Houston, I attended the Texas Cattle Feeder's Association annual dinner (we sold pricing data back before the internet). They had tubs of the best jerky I've ever tasted - one of the TCFA fellows made it every year just for their shindig.

I used to help a buddy cut up elk and deer for his jerky - he would butcher the meat a little differently than I was used to from cutting up pigs and so on, where we were using saws to cross cut across the grain. He'd take whole 'muscles' off the critter, cut off at each end, then lay the muscle out on the table, slice into about 1/3" above the table and just keep slicing - going 'with the grain'. When he got almost to the end of the meat he'd turn it over and keep doing the 1/3" cut until he 'unwrapped' the whole muscle. Wind up with a long string of thin cut meat from every muscle. Keep a couple of knives handy, and a butcher's steel.

Sounds like he knew his stuff.

Holladay 09-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

I've done this a number of times. They turn out prutty darn good. Which reminds me to do it again. I usually do a number of layers. It's quite easy to.

tmax63 09-26-2013 05:39 PM

I don't slice my jerky completely with the grain but more on the diagonal. Shorter muscle filaments make a more tender jerky for me. I have a 5 tray dehydrator with a small heating element that might get to 150 degrees on the bottom tray. When choosing the cut I cheat. We have a local butcher (old style- take in a live animal, take home steaks) and I tell him what I doing and he hooks me up with he has that is economical and works well.

threebag 09-26-2013 06:17 PM

I use a tri tip.

DonInDenver 09-26-2013 06:45 PM

Always go low temp and slow cooking conditions! You are wanting to draw the moisture out of the meat. Need enough salt and flavoring to end up with an edible product. The pink salt will add to overall longevity of the finished product. If you are like me, it won't last that long!

HonestChieffan 09-26-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Any of you guys make Beef Jerky? I have made a lot of wild game jerky over the years, but I have never had an end product that was what I would call fantastic. I have used about every cut of meat you can think of to make it with as well.

I have a buddy who makes the best jerky I have ever had, I'm taking not ever close. After six years, I finally talked him out of the recipe. I'm going to fire up the smoker Saturday and make some. I'm trying to figure out the best bang for the buck cut of meat to make this with. I know I want something with as little fat as possible. What cut do you guys use when you're making jerky? I was thinking top round?

Im fixin to arrow a fat doe. Will you share the recipe?

HonestChieffan 09-26-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 10022433)

Fun show. Couple others in texas are a hoot too. nCBA is a great time as well

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-26-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Bwana, call Edes Meats in Amarillo, TX ask for Melvin the owner. [U]806-622-0205[U] This is a local butcher shop and he's famous ,at least locally for his beef jerky. I've bought $200 worth at a time and sent to my brother in Afghanistan. The troops go crazy for it. He can tell you the best cut to use and have him send you some. I have a picture of an Afghanny local in Afghanistan that has his own butcher shop holding a bag of EDE's beef jerky. He's holding the bag in one hand and a machete in the other and you can see his little leantoo shop behind him with a dead cow with it's throat cut laying there. I had an 8x10 made and gave it to Melvin to hang on his wall.

the Talking Can 09-26-2013 06:53 PM

so hard to find good jerky...store stuff is just gross, even though i give in occasionally

used to get venison jerky and summer sausage from my brother, both awesome

there is a place in georgia that has pretty excellent jerky, the thin strip kind:
http://www.striplings.com/butcher-shop/jerky.html

listopencil 09-26-2013 07:20 PM

Dave's Insanity Sauce makes a great marinade if you like it hot.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-26-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10022972)

Hot is an understatement. I bought a case of his scorpion pepper sauce. I like stuff hot and spicy but jesus Christ!

ChiefsCountry 09-26-2013 07:30 PM

I cheat on beef jerky and make it in the oven. Well I don't have a dehydrator for one. I like to use stew meat from the store already chunked up. Works pretty good for me.

Bwana 09-26-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10022810)
Im fixin to arrow a fat doe. Will you share the recipe?

Check PM

Bwana 09-26-2013 08:13 PM

I picked up 15 lbs of top round this afternoon and plan to cut it up, season it and let it sit in the refrigerator tomorrow night to blend. Saturday is the day I smoke it.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/ys640_hero.png

J Diddy 09-26-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10022972)

Like burning out your colon and shooting fire out of your ass like it was a dragon.

Sorter 09-26-2013 08:14 PM

Alright, I've had it.

I'm off to go ram a deer with my motor vehicle, drag it back to my abode and make jerky.

Bwana 09-26-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10023252)
Alright, I've had it.

I'm off to go ram a deer with my motor vehicle, drag it back to my abode and make jerky.

Hint, shoot it and save the vehicle insurance hike.

Yes

http://james-mcwilliams.com/wp-conte...Crosshairs.jpg

No

http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...4/deer-car.jpg

GloryDayz 09-26-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10023247)
I picked up 15 lbs of top round this afternoon and plan to cut it up, season it and let it sit in the refrigerator tomorrow night to blend. Saturday is the day I smoke it.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/ys640_hero.png

Too clean to make things right!! Use that thang!!!

Bwana 09-26-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10023286)
Too clean to make things right!! Use that thang!!!

I knocked out 10 racks of ribs with it last Saturday, yum.

Sorter 09-26-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10023278)

I am really glad that I checked this thread before leaving.

Sorter 09-26-2013 08:26 PM

*Loads a few rounds into his .300 Win Mag (can't ever be too careful, right?)*

GloryDayz 09-26-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10023292)
I knocked out 10 racks of ribs with it last Saturday, yum.

No pics, didn't happen!

Just because at my age smoking meat is a whole new form of porn, I'll taunt you with the claim of you being a liar to get you to post pics of the ribs!

Bwana 09-26-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10023296)
I am really glad that I checked this thread before leaving.

You're welcome. :D

Bwana 09-26-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10023305)
No pics, didn't happen!

Just because at my age smoking meat is a whole new form of porn, I'll taunt you with the claim of you being a liar to get you to post pics of the ribs!

Oh but it did. This was from last year using half the smoker. It also has a top rack.