ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Chiefspants 06-12-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16978191)
I read The Road a handful of years back and swore off Cormac McCarthy ever since. The story was good, though bleak as all hell, but I just couldn’t stand the dude’s writing style.

Listening to his work via audiobooks was what cracked McCarthy for me. I couldn't get into No Country for Old Men when I tried to read it a few years back but blew through the audiobook. I decided to give his works a yearly listen since.

seclark 06-12-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 16978233)
It's not high brow, but i'm burning through the last kingdom books as fast as I can get them. It's the Bernard Cornwell book series that Netflix's The Last Kingdom is based off of. ****ing great!

I’m also reading this Saxon Tales series, although I’m checking them out at the library. I think I’m competing with some other bastard because I try to check out 2 at a time and right now I’ve got volumes #4 and #6..
sec

Dunerdr 06-12-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 16978319)
I’m also reading this Saxon Tales series, although I’m checking them out at the library. I think I’m competing with some other bastard because I try to check out 2 at a time and right now I’ve got volumes #4 and #6..
sec

I've rotated between audio and downloading through itunes depending on the work schedule and demands. I just finished Sword song. I downloaded The burning land on audio because ill be commuting an hour the next couple weeks. I cant wait to get to the next book but don't want them to end lol.

crispystl 06-12-2023 11:40 AM

Quote:

I read The Road a handful of years back and swore off Cormac McCarthy ever since. The story was good, though bleak as all hell, but I just couldn’t stand the dude’s writing style.

You didn't like "No Country for Old Men"?

raybec 4 06-12-2023 05:57 PM

Quote:

Blood Meridian was so damn good to me. "No Country for Old Men" as well.

TwistedChief 06-12-2023 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16927296)
I entered a 500-word flash fiction contest last month and was named one of their top entries. (They don't award 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, but identified their top six stories and mine was one of them.) My story is the fifth from the top. Note that they give you specific rules for some things that have to be included in the story:

https://www.writerscentre.com.au/blo...tory-showcase/

Your story is absolutely outstanding. Brilliantly done and very much enjoyed it. You hit all the notes in a very consistent way.

BigOlChiefsfan 06-12-2023 08:24 PM

Re-reading "Latro in the mist" by Gene Wolfe. Wolfe released 3 novels about a Latin soldier fighting as a mercenary on the Persian side in the Wars between Persia and Greece. Latro gets a head wound that strips him of memory about noon, daily, so he learns to write down important news and reads the scroll often - to remember who he is, what he's done, what he's trying to do. They later released the first two books as Latrio in the Mist, and while it's a big book and requires some attention (Wolfe makes you figure out stuff all thru the book - even minor victories still count as victories) As a stroke victim with memory issues myself 'He's speaking to me' and I enjoy reading this every year or two. JoCo library no longer has a copy, so I buy 2nd hand copies on Amazon when they come on for less than $10. I've bought several over the years and given 'em away. Favorite books make a good gift - even if the gifted don't 'really get it'. A few hints - Latro calls the various countries, tribes, etc...by the 'translated name' that makes sense to him. So the Spartans he calls 'Rope makers'. The wound that caused his memory problems has a side effect. He can see Gods, and magical beings that the ancient Greeks and Persians and proto-Romans like Latro believe surround them. It's pretty cool to figure out who or what he sees that no one else can see. Sidebar - if Latro sees a god or goddess and touches them, everyone in the room can see them. This leads to an orgy or two, and convinces the people who've captured him that he ought to get some special treatment. A few of them accompany him trying to heal him - things happen along the way. It's really well written, I always read it slowly because some of these lines are the best thing, ever. As mentioned, 'Latro in the Mist' is the 2 book combo (Soldier in the Mist/Soldier of Arete) and Soldier of Sidon follows up. Wolfe passed away a few years ago, but left us some good stuff. Recommended.

BigOlChiefsfan 06-13-2023 03:16 PM

https://deadline.com/2023/06/cormac-...ad-1235416172/ I won't say Cormac McCarthy was 'a fun read' but he was good at his job. RIP

ThaVirus 06-13-2023 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 16978236)
Listening to his work via audiobooks was what cracked McCarthy for me. I couldn't get into No Country for Old Men when I tried to read it a few years back but blew through the audiobook. I decided to give his works a yearly listen since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl (Post 16978411)
You didn't like "No Country for Old Men"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16978872)
Blood Meridian was so damn good to me. "No Country for Old Men" as well.

I never read No Country! The Road was my introduction to McCarthy and I was so turned off that I have sworn him off altogether lol

I do like Chiefspants' recommendation of going the Audiobook, though. That may help me.

I am actually in the midst of trying to read through some old classics and sometimes they can be a slog with their old timey prose. I'm currently in the middle of Lord of the Flies, 1984 and My Bondage and My Freedom.

I probably read the first handful of pages of Dracula 10 times before I just said "**** it" and got the Audiobook from the library. Put that bad boy on while I was at the gym and knocked it out in a few days. It was a much better experience (the book ended up being pretty good too).

Chiefspants 06-13-2023 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16980130)
I never read No Country! The Road was my introduction to McCarthy and I was so turned off that I have sworn him off altogether lol

I do like Chiefspants' recommendation of going the Audiobook, though. That may help me.

I am actually in the midst of trying to read through some old classics and sometimes they can be a slog with their old timey prose. I'm currently in the middle of Lord of the Flies, 1984 and My Bondage and My Freedom.

I probably read the first handful of pages of Dracula 10 times before I just said "**** it" and got the Audiobook from the library. Put that bad boy on while I was at the gym and knocked it out in a few days. It was a much better experience (the book ended up being pretty good too).

I definitely recommend listening to No Country even if you've seen the movie. I love the movie, but Bell's character is so vastly improved in the book and I honestly don't think there is a weak stretch throughout it. Chigurh might be more terrifying/memorable in the adaptation, but a big part of that is Bardem putting on a Mahomes like performance in that role.

RIP to Cormac. He lived a long life but that news still hit hard.

seclark 06-17-2023 12:37 PM

Okay, for Father’s Day one of my sons gave me six Jack Carr novels, and I’m pretty excited to start reading them. I’m a big fan of Lee Child and his Jack Reacher series, so I think I’m going to enjoy reading these.

Has anyone here read any of these?
sec

JohnnyHammersticks 06-17-2023 12:50 PM

Looks like we got ourselves a reader.

Just finished the Bible. Cover-to-cover for the first time ever. Took over a year.

Buehler445 06-17-2023 02:35 PM

If we’re counting audiobooks I’ve listened to The Wager and liked it so much I listened to Killers of the Flower moon. I also listened to Five Families. It wasn’t particularly engaging but it is fascinating how Cosa Nostra has developed over the course of time.

neech 06-17-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks (Post 16985122)
Looks like we got ourselves a reader.

Just finished the Bible. Cover-to-cover for the first time ever. Took over a year.

I will listen to that podcast Through the bible with Dr. J. Vernon McGee.

I like hearing his take and stories, he has great insight to what was going on in those times as well.

neech 06-17-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16985173)
If we’re counting audiobooks I’ve listened to The Wager and liked it so much I listened to Killers of the Flower moon. I also listened to Five Families. It wasn’t particularly engaging but it is fascinating how Cosa Nostra has developed over the course of time.

It looks like they are going to make the book The Wager into a movie, looking forward to seeing Killers of the Flower Moon into one. The latter is to come out in October this year. I would expect The Wager to be a couple years away perhaps longer.