ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music KISSTORY (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282813)

htismaqe 04-08-2014 09:18 PM

I'm actually not a big fan of Slipknot, primarily BECAUSE of the masks.

But I was around when they were still playing bars in Des Moines, too.

GloucesterChief 04-08-2014 09:21 PM

KISS pretty much epitomizes all flash no substance.

Rausch 04-09-2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 10549822)
KISS pretty much epitomizes all flash no substance.

I think they became that. I still like their stuff before the infamous disco album...

mikey23545 04-09-2014 01:06 AM

Alice Cooper.

Kiss are the Archies of hard rock.

WhiteWhale 04-09-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10548550)
See that's the thing. You're a generation removed.

KISS inspired bands like Slipknot, who in turn inspired you.

Yeah... they were pioneers of gimmick bands. One of those responsible for the image being more important than the art they created. I view that as a negative. A precursor to the MTV generation that will buy anything as long as the people doing the work have the right look. Without the gimmick, I don't get it.

I feel that many bands have been hindered by this approach. I loved Marilyn Manson's early work. However they fired the most talented and knowledgeable musician in the band simply because he didn't 'fit the gimmick'. I have not enjoyed an album since though their fame continued to grow.

Rob Zombie, as well, was infinitely successful as a hard pop band (that is not rock music) but I loved his work with White Zombie. When he realized the band's popularity was largely based on the image he was responsible for (and largely hijacked from Ministry), he dumped them and began creating inferior music and succeeded in spite of it.

What I've learned is that image matters more than the music itself, and idea I simply cannot support. That's not to say I don't like showmanship.. I just think the music, not the image, should always be the most important thing to a musician.

htismaqe 04-09-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 10550147)
Alice Cooper.

Kiss are the Archies of hard rock.

If we're talking about personal preferences, for me Alice Cooper >>>>>>>>>>>>> KISS.

But one simply can't deny the influence KISS had.

htismaqe 04-09-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10550149)
I view that as a negative.

The list of great bands that got their start because they heard "Destroyer" or saw KISS live makes it an OVERWHELMING positive, regardless of how you feel about KISS' actual music.

ThatRaceCardGuy 04-09-2014 07:59 AM

Kiss is what it is..a descent band with an outstanding stage show and a great marketing strategy. I don't dislike them ..I have some of their music on my ipod.

ThatRaceCardGuy 04-09-2014 08:01 AM

Jews rocking in costumes is always awesome. .no racial.

patteeu 04-09-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 10550332)
Kiss is what it is..a descent band with an outstanding stage show and a great marketing strategy. I don't dislike them ..I have some of their music on my ipod.

I'm offended by the way they perform in white face. :)

Frosty 04-09-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10549563)
I can agree with this.

Just a band that never has or will do anything for me. I love me some classic rock, but I've never dug the band. Is the age cut off like forty plus? Is it just a you had to have been there moment and I missed it?

I'm 50 and didn't really care for KISS when I was a kid and don't really care for them now. I just listened to the videos that Scott Free posted and they did nothing to change my mind (and holy shit - "Hard Luck Woman" does sound like early Rod Stewart).

I don't know - to me, KISS songs always sound like they are missing something. It's like the skeletons of good songs are there but they need something to flesh them out. They also love their rock anthems. Most of the songs seem to be written primarily so you can shake your fist to them in concert (like "All American Man" posted earlier).

I think the main song of theirs that I like is "War Machine".

htismaqe 04-09-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10550341)
I'm 50 and didn't really care for KISS when I was a kid and don't really care for them now. I just listened to the videos that Scott Free posted and they did nothing to change my mind (and holy shit - "Hard Luck Woman" does sound like early Rod Stewart).

I don't know - to me, KISS songs always sound like they are missing something. It's like the skeletons of good songs are there but they need something to flesh them out. They also love their rock anthems. Most of the songs seem to be written primarily so you can shake your fist to them in concert (like "All American Man" posted earlier).

I think the main song of theirs that I like is "War Machine".

I like "Deuce" and "Black Diamond".

Frosty 04-09-2014 08:22 AM

It might have been the timing for me. "Beth" came out when I was in jr high school and it seemed like every douchebag in school glommed onto them and would do KISS costumes during spirit week or Halloween and stuff like that. Then by the time I was in high school, they had done their disco song and were considered completely irrelevant by pretty much every one I knew. After that, they were completely off my radar until "Lick It Up" and the unmasking.

I definitely can say that I haven't had the strongest opinion of the band over time.

htismaqe 04-09-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10550358)
It might have been the timing for me. "Beth" came out when I was in jr high school and it seemed like every douchebag in school glommed onto them and would do KISS costumes during spirit week or Halloween and stuff like that. Then by the time I was in high school, they had done their disco song and were considered completely irrelevant by pretty much every one I knew. After that, they were completely off my radar until "Lick It Up" and the unmasking.

I definitely can say that I haven't had the strongest opinion of the band over time.

KISS was before my time. I grew up in the 80's. I was always more into British metal anyway.

Frosty 04-09-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10550371)
KISS was before my time. I grew up in the 80's. I was always more into British metal anyway.

I was more into classic rock during high school (Led Zeppelin, The Who) and then got into NWOBHM after I graduated.