ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Plasma vs LCD? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277198)

Third Eye 10-09-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10066956)
There are many factors at play. First and foremost, you'd need at least a 280 watt model. The larger the enclosure, the larger the speakers. You'll definitely want a six speaker version with a sub woofer out (analog wiring to a larger sub is preferred to a wireless sub).

Wall mounting makes a huge difference because of the resonance added by studs and drywall.

Now, does it compare to a Bose 5.1 system at five times the cost? No. But it can be a very effective and elegant solution.

Are there still people out there that actually buy into Bose's overpriced racket? There is so much better stuff out there at better prices.

Bose, the Monster Cable of audio.

threebag 10-09-2013 11:42 AM

The SHARP AQUOS is the TV to have. That's what I have.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10067027)
Are there still people out there that actually buy into Bose's overpriced racket? There is so much better stuff out there at better prices.

Bose, the Monster Cable of audio.

Yeah, there are plenty.

We have some friends recently put in a Bose 5.1 system in the great room of their home and paid a shit ton for it and installation.

It's a huge room, probably 30x40x15 foot, at least, but I have to admit, the system sounds incredible. The satellite speakers are very inconspicuous, which is a nice.

Third Eye 10-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10067064)
Yeah, there are plenty.

We have some friends recently put in a Bose 5.1 system in the great room of their home and paid a shit ton for it and installation.

It's a huge room, probably 30x40x15 foot, at least, but I have to admit, the system sounds incredible. The satellite speakers are very inconspicuous, which is a nice.

Some of their lines are definitely good quality, no doubt, but with all the money they spend on marketing and advertising the consumer ends up paying double for a similar product sold by other high end audio producers.

Mr. Laz 10-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 10067042)
The SHARP AQUOS is the TV to have. That's what I have.

Isn't there like a hundred Sharp Aquos?

any particular model or line that is better?

I've read that some LCD's now have smart dimming for better blacks.

Mr. Plow 10-09-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10067093)

My parents TV has that. It adjusts based on the amount of light in the room.

TheUte 10-09-2013 12:47 PM

Look for sales @ newegg.com. I have saved a bunch of dough there.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10067093)

Yeah, my Sharp Aquos has that feature. I turned it off, actually, because it's annoying in my room due to so many windows and changing light. I'm sure it's great in a room with less windows.

And yes, Sharp has many different models. As an owner of three Aquos LCD's, I think they're great TV's but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to replace them with Vizio LED's.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 12:53 PM

One more thing: With any of these new LCD's and LED TV's, you have to manually go into the Menu and settings to turn off "True Motion" or "Fine Motion" or whatever each manufacturer is calling it. Otherwise, the TV makes every program look like a soap opera and you lose the cinematic experience.

It's rather "jerky" as well. I can't understand why it's the default setting. It blows.

Mr. Plow 10-09-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10067215)
One more thing: With any of these new LCD's and LED TV's, you have to manually go into the Menu and settings to turn off "True Motion" or "Fine Motion" or whatever each manufacturer is calling it. Otherwise, the TV makes every program look like a soap opera and you lose the cinematic experience.

It's rather "jerky" as well. I can't understand why it's the default setting. It blows.

Damnit, THAT'S what it is. Every time I'm at my parents house, I'm sitting there watching TV going "WTF is different with your picture?"

Also, your recommendation for say a 50-60 inch would be a Vizio LED?

Great Expectations 10-09-2013 01:01 PM

I like the true moron for some sporting events, but it blows for movies or regular programming.

TheUte 10-09-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 10066263)
This. And plasma is cheaper. Color is awesome;)

Plasma is the way to go. You should compare side by side then decide.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10067234)
Damnit, THAT'S what it is. Every time I'm at my parents house, I'm sitting there watching TV going "WTF is different with your picture?"

Also, your recommendation for say a 50-60 inch would be a Vizio LED?

Well, if you're on a budget, for sure. And once again, nothing beats Costco's Concierge service.

Personally, I think that all of these TV's look great when they're set up at home. I've never gone from room to room in my house and thought "Wow, this TV looks like shit!" It's usually "Goddamn, that's awesome!".

:D

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUte (Post 10067238)
Plasma is the way to go. You should compare side by side then decide.

If you don't mind a space heater and electricity hog and glare.

TheUte 10-09-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10067241)
If you don't mind a space heater and electricity hog and glare.

I have a 50" Samsung Plasma and a 50" LG LED LCD and like them both, but picture quality there is no comparison. The Plasma is hands down the best picture quality.