ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Christian Ponder isn’t sure whether Percy Harvin will be back (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268630)

malachi47000 01-08-2013 04:19 PM

Christian Ponder isn’t sure whether Percy Harvin will be back

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-will-be-back/

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said Monday that receiver Percy Harvin will remain with the team in 2013. Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder has somewhat less optimism.

“I’m not sure, I don’t know,” Ponder told Paul Allen of KFAN on Tuesday. “We’ll see. I mean, we’ll see how everything shakes out. I’m not sure what Rick Spielman’s gonna be doing. Obviously, it’d be nice to have [Harvin]. He’s a heck of a player.”

That’s a stunningly vague assessment of the status of the 2009 NFL offensive rookie of the year and one of the short-list candidates for league MVP based on his performances early in the 2013 season, especially since Harvin remains under contract for one more season. But there always has been a quiet undercurrent of discontent when it comes to Percy Harvin. Though he rarely acts out publicly, he apparently has done plenty of acting out privately — and it could be enough to prompt the Vikings to trade an arguably tired act out of town.

Indeed, Ponder opted, consciously or not, for the past tense when talking about Harvin.

“You know, he busts his butt all the time when he was here,” Ponder said of Harvin. “When he was out on the field, no one worked harder than him. Obviously, everyone saw how tough he was physically and mentally. And he had a lot of leadership qualities. He was a good teammate.”

He was a good teammate.

Yep. Percy’s gone.

If the Vikings try for a trade, wonder what it would take to get him?

HolyHat 01-08-2013 04:21 PM

Geno approves of this message

mr. tegu 01-08-2013 04:21 PM

Care I do not.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 04:22 PM

Hey now, there's a nice guy to look at.

Would you give up our 2nd for him? Kid's still extremely young, but he never seems capable of staying healthy.

I said I'd give up a 3rd for Maclin, who has injury issues and 1 year left on his contract. Harvin is a better version of Maclin with the same injury issues and contract status.

Yeah, I'd give up our 2nd for Percy Harvin.

Thig Lyfe 01-08-2013 04:23 PM

If he could stay healthy for more than 10 minutes at a time, I'd be all over that shit.

O.city 01-08-2013 04:24 PM

Would give up a 2 for him, more willing a 3rd.

doomy3 01-08-2013 04:25 PM

I mentioned this in another thread the other day. I would trade 2.1 in a millisecond for Harvin. Kid is incredibly talented.

Of course the majority of the replies were, "Why don't we just draft a WR in the second instead of trading for Harvin?"

As if there are a bunch of guys like him that you can just go draft when you want to.

mnchiefsguy 01-08-2013 04:30 PM

I think a 2nd might be too high, given that he is injury prone, and our second round pick is at the beginning of the round. I would give up a third rounder for him for sure, and would a second rounder only if it was a late second rounder.

RunKC 01-08-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 9297132)
I mentioned this in another thread the other day. I would trade 2.1 in a millisecond for Harvin. Kid is incredibly talented.

Of course the majority of the replies were, "Why don't we just draft a WR in the second instead of trading for Harvin?"

As if there are a bunch of guys like him that you can just go draft when you want to.

I guess it comes down to the question of Percy Harvin or Tavon Austin?

I'll take either one.

O.city 01-08-2013 04:31 PM

I like Austin, but I don't think eh can be as versatile in the NFL as Harvin is.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Well shit, why not just draft Aaron Rodgers? Duh, that was easy.

Harvin made Ponder look decent. If you trade 2.1 for Harvin, draft Geno at 1.1, then re-sign Bowe and Albert - holy hell you have a good offense.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2013 04:32 PM

Percy Harvin forced more missed tackles (22) than any other WR.

And he only had 62 catches.

He is completely hamstrung by playing with Christian Ponder. He would put up 1200 yards easy in a top passing offense.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9297156)
I guess it comes down to the question of Percy Harvin or Tavon Austin?

I'll take either one.

A) I don't know that we can count on Austin being there.
B) Austin simply isn't going to be as good as Harvin. Percy Harvin is an MVP caliber player when he's healthy.

The sole question is his health. And yeah, that's certainly a big one. That said, I don't see how you can't take that chance if you're looking to bring in a passing-oriented offense and help take some pressure off a quarterback.

notorious 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

Harvin is a ****ing stud.

Bring him in.

O.city 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

If you can spin a second rounder for Harvin you do it. He's still young, it's different than slinging picks for a washout QB.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9297171)

Bring him in.

If the Vikings are worried about losing him, they won't get a better offer than 2.1.

It makes a great deal of sense for both sides.

O.city 01-08-2013 04:35 PM

Say we sign Bowe back, what would Harvin play in a Reid offense? Slot?

mcaj22 01-08-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9297171)

Bring him in.

this.

he would own under Andy

mcaj22 01-08-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9297177)
Say we sign Bowe back, what would Harvin play in a Reid offense? Slot?

Harvin plays slot almost exclusively i thought

O.city 01-08-2013 04:37 PM

Like the Colts turning picks for the CB who I can't remember, this would be a good deal. Not getting a Harvin type player in the second round.

notorious 01-08-2013 04:37 PM

Why would Minnesota let him go?

O.city 01-08-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9297184)
Harvin plays slot almost exclusively i thought

Thats what I was thinking but couldn't remember.

Urc Burry 01-08-2013 04:39 PM

Love Harvin but a second rounder scared me. He's injury prone and has been known to be "cancerous". This is also a good year to need a WR at the top of the second. Hunter, Patterson, Austin,etc...

O.city 01-08-2013 04:39 PM

I like a few of the QB's in this draft alot, and I know this isnt' Madden.

But if you could leverage the first and second round picks, into Freeman, Harvin, the 13 pick in the first round and a later pick in the second, it would be tough to not take that.

doomy3 01-08-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297162)
Well shit, why not just draft Aaron Rodgers? Duh, that was easy.

Harvin made Ponder look decent. If you trade 2.1 for Harvin, draft Geno at 1.1, then re-sign Bowe and Albert - holy hell you have a good offense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9297165)
Percy Harvin forced more missed tackles (22) than any other WR.

And he only had 62 catches.

He is completely hamstrung by playing with Christian Ponder. He would put up 1200 yards easy in a top passing offense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9297169)
A) I don't know that we can count on Austin being there.
B) Austin simply isn't going to be as good as Harvin. Percy Harvin is an MVP caliber player when he's healthy.

The sole question is his health. And yeah, that's certainly a big one. That said, I don't see how you can't take that chance if you're looking to bring in a passing-oriented offense and help take some pressure off a quarterback.

These.

See, drafting a guy like Austin, you HOPE he is close to as good as Harvin. There is a 0% chance he is better. People severely overestimate prospects and draft picks. If you can trade a second rounder for a 24 year old Harvin, you stole him.

doomy3 01-08-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 9297194)
Love Harvin but a second rounder scared me. He's injury prone and has been known to be "cancerous". This is also a good year to need a WR at the top of the second. Hunter, Patterson, Austin,etc...

Look at the WRs who are generally drafted in the second round. Hell, look at last year's draft. Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffrey and Ryan Broyles were the WRs selected in the second round. Quick was the first pick of the second round.

Anyone on that list you would put in the same conversation as Harvin?

BossChief 01-08-2013 04:45 PM

I'd give up a third, but with his recent health concerns that would be it. There are over 10 receivers with a first or second round grade and that number could go as high as 15.

My preference for the top two picks are Geno and Bailey.

doomy3 01-08-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9297210)
I'd give up a third, but with his recent health concerns that would be it. There are over 10 receivers with a first or second round grade and that number could go as high as 15.

You think Bailey is going to produce anywhere near Harvin levels? In an absolute best case scenario with everything hitting perfectly, he still likely won't.

BlackHelicopters 01-08-2013 04:47 PM

He is fragile, but worth a 3rd round pick.

DJ's left nut 01-08-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 9297209)
Look at the WRs who are generally drafted in the second round. Hell, look at last year's draft. Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffrey and Ryan Broyles were the WRs selected in the second round. Quick was the first pick of the second round.

Anyone on that list you would put in the same conversation as Harvin?

Exactly.

2nd rounders sound soooooo valuable, and on occasion they are (Brandon Flowers, etc...). But man, the odds of you getting someone as good or better than Harvin with that pick are maybe 5%.

Nah, if you're looking to turn this into an aerial assault with a rookie QB at the helm, you can't make a better 2nd round pick than Percy Harvin.

doomy3 01-08-2013 04:49 PM

And he isn't fragile, FFS. This is the first year he has missed any real time. He actually has a reputation of being one of the toughest players in the NFL.

O.city 01-08-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9297210)

Eh, with skill guys other than QB and RB, I'm not really hesistant to give up picks.

Harvin is a young, MVP type player. You aren't getting that in the second round.

Thig Lyfe 01-08-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 9297225)
And he isn't fragile, FFS. This is the first year he has missed any real time. He actually has a reputation of being one of the toughest players in the NFL.

I had Harvin in FFL his rookie year and I'm pretty sure I recall him being a major headache (SO TO SPEAK) because of all his injury issues.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2013 04:55 PM

I didn't even realize Harvin only played 9 games.

He forced 22 missed tackles in 9 games.

#2 was Brandon Marshall (17), but he played 16 games.

mr. tegu 01-08-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9297122)
Care I do not.

He actually hasn't missed as many games as I was thinking. Would like to not see him returning kicks though.

O.city 01-08-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9297246)

Dex would be that high if he got that many touches.

O.city 01-08-2013 05:07 PM

And if we do infact get another 3rd rounder for Carr, I'd be more inclined to do it, as our first 3rd will be the first pick in that round.

Hammock Parties 01-08-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9297270)
Dex would be that high if he got that many touches.

End your trolling. I won long ago.

HolyHat 01-08-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9297250)
He actually hasn't missed as many games as I was thinking. Would like to not see him returning kicks though.

:thumb:

O.city 01-08-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9297291)

:evil:

mcaj22 01-08-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9297246)

that sample size for 9 games is pretty impressive

had he played and projected out to all 16 games he would have put up very good numbers

HolyHat 01-08-2013 05:29 PM

I dont know about a 2nd round pick for him. I'd rather just sign Mike Wallace off the street than give up draft picks for Harvin.

I'd rather have Harvin for sure, but I wouldnt give up anything more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for him.

notorious 01-08-2013 05:45 PM

Harvin creates offense. He makes his plays after getting the ball.

That is rare in the NFL.

BigMeatballDave 01-08-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9297291)

You may lose in the long run.

Reid may get something out of him. :)

Setsuna 01-08-2013 05:53 PM

He doesn't belong there. He belongs in Jacksonville, FL.

htismaqe 01-08-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9297438)
He doesn't belong there. He belongs in Jacksonville, FL.

Dude, you just promoted your Director of College Scouting to GM...

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Easy 6 01-08-2013 07:54 PM

How often is this guy actually healthy? elite talent but he scares the shit out of me with his constant health issues and migraine problems.

I dont want to pay elite money to guy who only plays 8 games a year.

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 07:55 PM

I'd trade my 2nd for him without even thinking.

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9297536)

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Wasn't Caldwell in the Falcons org?

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297915)
I'd trade my 2nd for him without even thinking.

You'd trade the #34 overall pick in this year's draft for a guy with attitude problems, not to mention the fact he's unreliable due to his migraine headaches?

We're all entitled to our opinions, but wow.

DaneMcCloud 01-08-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9297917)
Wasn't Caldwell in the Falcons org?

Yes

steve_minor 01-08-2013 09:10 PM

I live in MN ... Harvin is talented cancer and not worth a contract let alone a pick and a contract. He has not even been around team since he got hurt. MN sports radio is talking about what an awful teammate he is. No Thanks!!!

The Bad Guy 01-08-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9297923)
You'd trade the #34 overall pick in this year's draft for a guy with attitude problems, not to mention the fact he's unreliable due to his migraine headaches?

We're all entitled to our opinions, but wow.

Didn't miss a game last year due to his migraines.

He's one of the top 10 skill position players who makes a huge impact on games.

Yes, I'd absolutely trade the 34th overall for a young dynamic player.

Molitoth 01-08-2013 10:25 PM

Scenario: bowe stays.
I'd attempt to see what Baldwin can do with a real qb instead of giving up on him and trading a second rounder.

Scenario: bowe leaves.
I'd be open to trading away for Harvin, or drafting Austin/bailey.

Chiefshrink 01-08-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

A drama queen that gets hurt waaaaaaaaay to often ?? No thx !:shake:

BossChief 01-08-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 9297215)
You think Bailey is going to produce anywhere near Harvin levels? In an absolute best case scenario with everything hitting perfectly, he still likely won't.

Bailey and Geno have been teammates and best friends going back to before WVU. He could be a nice matchup guy when we spread the field. Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Bailey...

That set would be hard to cover...find the one in man coverage and let it rip.

I wouldnt be pissed if we traded 2.1 for Harvin, but it carries risk.

Simplicity 01-08-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9298643)
Bailey and Geno have been teammates and best friends going back to before WVU. He could be a nice matchup guy when we spread the field. Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Bailey...

Quadruple B's. Holy balls.

mcaj22 01-08-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9298643)

so let me get this straight

you want

Bowe, Breaston, Bailey, Baldwin

not counting McCluster, TE (Your Boy Crapeaki) and Charles in the passing game options

so essentially in a read, Baldwin is like the 3rd, 4th, 5th option at best, and essentially a 3rd string WR at best.

So in Reid's system, Baldwin is basically Riley Cooper maybe Jason Avant without the slot inside talent

That is some pile of shit first round talent if we need to add another WR like Bailey, is my point

Rugby Thompson 01-09-2013 12:47 AM

he has migraine issues, i'll stick with maclin even though he got aids last year

Sorter 01-09-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugby Thompson (Post 9298873)
he has migraine issues, i'll stick with maclin even though he got aids last year

ROFL

I wouldn't give up a 3rd for Maclin, especially if Marshall only fetched 2 2nds. I'd offer a 6th and highest I would go would be a 4th. Maybe our 2nd 3rd depending on how the draft shaped out.

CaliforniaChief 01-09-2013 01:00 AM

Is there any doubt that we need to upgrade BIG time at WR? Is there any doubt that Reid knows that? No.

If Harvin can be had for a 3rd, I'd do it. A second? I'd need to do some serious homework on the guy. Does he want to be here? What's his mindset?

Bump 01-09-2013 01:02 AM

I'd do a 3rd, but not our 2nd. That's too high for him, too many question marks about his character and reliability.

AussieChiefsFan 01-09-2013 01:41 AM

Would be good.

TLO 01-09-2013 04:21 AM

He needs to pay a visit to John Redcorn for those migranes.

Dunerdr 01-09-2013 05:04 AM

If the Vikings Are interested in trading its a no brainer. The question is send a 2nd round thats practically a 1st or a 3rd thats practically a 2nd. Or multiple late pics? Or tjax and well call it even on them getting Jared Allen?

jd1020 01-09-2013 05:11 AM

Pass.

I'd only do this trade if the Chiefs decided to tag/trade Bowe. I don't think that will happen and I'm not ready to throw everyone else under the bus because of Pioli, Crennel, Daboll, Cassel, and Quinn.

I'd rather beef up the secondary with the #2 pick. If they'd take a 3 I'd flip it to them.

ChiefGator 01-09-2013 05:49 AM

Definitely for a 3rd. Of course our 3rd is the very top of the round, which makes it harder. But Harvin would be worth it. Just a break-out player with excellent moves and amazing quickness. And he did all that he did at the beginning of the year with Christian Ponder throwing him the ball.

We know we want more speed/quickness at the WR position, and he is better than any other WR you will be able to get in the 3rd.

I don't see the Vikings let him go that cheaply though.

Setsuna 01-10-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9297536)

ROFL ROFL ROFL

WTF? Gene Smith is gone and we got David Caldwell from ATL and we JUST fired Mularkey. CC Get a clue.