ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How much time do you put in at work? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269726)

ModSocks 02-05-2013 04:27 PM

How much time do you put in at work?

I'm a 27 year old male, and im starting to realize that this is my time, it's now or never. Right here, right now, i need to make a future for myself. If im ever going to be where i imagine myself being when im 50, then i gotta get my ass in gear and find the motivation to do what it takes to succeed. I have to change.

Clocking in/out everyday depending on some one else to pay me.....that's not going to cut it. My wife lost her job a month ago for cost saving reasons, and i need to make some damn money. Just getting by doesn't cut it anymore. I have to grow the **** up and create some opportunities for myself or risk being 50 years old, renting out of an apartment and living off of Social Security.....and struggling paycheck to paycheck from now until then.

**** that.

I just had a real emotional realization that....this just isn't good enough and nothing is going to change unless i step it up and change it. I need to put in more work. For myself.

So how much time do you put in in a days worth of work?

loochy 02-05-2013 04:29 PM

most normal weeks are around 45 hours, some weeks are longer. We are supposed to have off every other Friday, so that makes 9 hour days (not including lunch breaks and so forth). Sometimes I have to work long and sometimes I have to work "off" Fridays or weekends, but not too often.

Dayze 02-05-2013 04:33 PM

45-50. sometimes more depending on what's gonig on.

The Franchise 02-05-2013 04:35 PM

Doing actual work or just being here?

mikeyis4dcats. 02-05-2013 04:36 PM

poor poll choices.

In general I do 8 hour days give or take, but sometimes they can be 12 hr or more if needed. Sometimes I may take off early on a Friday to account for that, sometimes not.

luv 02-05-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9380588)
Doing actual work or just being here?

I'll need to know the answer to this before voting, too.

keg in kc 02-05-2013 04:37 PM

Not nearly enough.

Although I work from home, so technically I spend 24 hours a day at work.

Gadzooks 02-05-2013 04:41 PM

Do you have kids?
If not, the best idea is to change companies within the same industry. As long as you don't burn any bridges on your path, you can end up back at the same company in the same position making 30% or more than you are now.
I've known a lot of guys who have done this. Unfortunately, I knocked my wife up three times so I can't endeavor on the same experiment. I also carry around a great level of envy and hatred towards my friends who have been successful using my advice.

Strongside 02-05-2013 04:41 PM

Put in 16 just yesterday. Worked 5 on Sunday. 9 today. 30 hours down and it's Tuesday. The less glamorous side of Advertising...

The good news is that this kind of schedule is rare for me. I'm typically running 40-50 hours a week.

Stewie 02-05-2013 04:41 PM

I spend too much time in meetings, so my 8+ hours at work is diluted.

GloryDayz 02-05-2013 04:42 PM

Spend 9-10 in the office, then have the laptop at home for a less intense work experience... Usually called for issues at a facility in the evenings once to twice a week. It's the new world order, get used to it if you're in IT...

Fun days with labor not liking the new world order too much! :)

loochy 02-05-2013 04:44 PM

When our factory workers went on strike I put in 90 hours a week for 10 weeks.

Strongside 02-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9380618)
When our factory workers went on strike I put in 90 hours a week for 10 weeks.

Shit like this is why we no longer have Twinkies.

The Franchise 02-05-2013 04:49 PM

Normal days: 8-9 hours a day.
The month before an election: 10 hours a day.
Election day: Normally a 20-22 hour day.

CrazyPhuD 02-05-2013 04:51 PM

Do spank breaks count against the total?

Fish 02-05-2013 04:51 PM

It varies so much it's hard to answer. Some days 2-3hrs. Some days 12hrs.

ModSocks 02-05-2013 04:54 PM

I work at an auto shop. It's come to the point now that the shop will ride or die with ME. So i have to do whatever it takes to bring in more money. The more money that i can bring in, the more i can take home.

I'm transitioning from your basic clock in/out to a small business owner. Im going to get my license next week. Basically, im becoming the owner of the business that use to pay me my paychecks.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 04:56 PM

I could work about all I want but I have gotten real lazy lately... 5 hours or so and I am done

ModSocks 02-05-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380660)
I could work about all I want but I have gotten real lazy lately... 5 hours or so and I am done

But when you were trying to buy your house, trying to get the point that you are at now, how much time did you put in?

Strongside 02-05-2013 04:58 PM

I know hookers that put in 100+.

BigRedChief 02-05-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9380554)
I'm a 27 year old male, and im starting to realize that this is my time, it's now or never. Right here, right now, i need to make a future for myself. If im ever going to be where i imagine myself being when im 50, then i gotta get my ass in gear and find the motivation to do what it takes to succeed. I have to change.

Clocking in/out everyday depending on some one else to pay me.....that's not going to cut it. My wife lost her job a month ago for cost saving reasons, and i need to make some damn money. Just getting by doesn't cut it anymore. I have to grow the **** up and create some opportunities for myself or risk being 50 years old, renting out of an apartment and living off of Social Security.....and struggling paycheck to paycheck from now until then.

**** that.

I just had a real emotional realization that....this just isn't good enough and nothing is going to change unless i step it up and change it. I need to put in more work. For myself.

So how much time do you put in in a days worth of work?

At 27 I had already traveled all over the world. And was working as writer and editor of a local magazine.

Needed a more stable income and went back to school to be a Respiratory Therapist. Moved the family to KC to get into residency without waiting a year. Spent two years in school and working for free.

After 9 years I got tired of people dying on me daily and changed careers. Went to work 10-12 hours. Took I.T. courses at night. Studied 2-4 hours after class. Went to bed at 2:00am. got up at 6:00am. Did that for two ****ing years.

Moral of the story is you only live once in life. The worst thing that you will have to live with in life is regret. There ain't no do-overs.

Nzoner 02-05-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9380609)
Put in 16 just yesterday. Worked 5 on Sunday. 9 today. 30 hours down and it's Tuesday. The less glamorous side of Advertising...

The good news is that this kind of schedule is rare for me. I'm typically running 40-50 hours a week.

What kind of advertising exactly?

loochy 02-05-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9380665)
At 27 I had already traveled all over the world. And was working as writer and editor of a local magazine.

Needed a more stable income and went back to school to be a Respiratory Therapist. Moved the family to KC to get into residency without waiting a year. Spent two years in school and working for free.

After 9 years I got tired of people dying on me daily and changed careers. Went to work 10-12 hours. Took I.T. courses at night. Studied 2-4 hours after class. Went to bed at 2:00am. got up at 6:00am. Did that for two ****ing years.

Moral of the story is you only live once in life. The worst thing that you will have to live with in life is regret. There ain't no do-overs.

I don't mean to be Mr. Grammar Nazi here, but you put a whole bunch of incomplete sentences in that response. I don't know if I'd want you as a writer and editor. :hmmm:

Nzoner 02-05-2013 05:05 PM

As for the OP I started my own business at 28 and just turned 50,so imo you're getting serious at the right time i.e. don't wait much longer.Good luck.

mr. tegu 02-05-2013 05:08 PM

I work 30 hours M-W. Then 10 hours combined on Thursday and Friday. Typically end up splitting those to 6 on Thursday and 4 on Friday. But of course I have freedom to pretty much do whatever works for me on any given day. I want to leave for a few hours one day and come back later...so be it. Essentially as long as I am working 40 hours then it doesn't matter.

All that being said, I don't exactly love my job, but it was a good job to get right after finishing my masters so we were able to buy a nice house five months after I graduated. I will be looking to get my license after my wedding in April to increase my pay range and then when the time is right open my own practice to have complete freedom.

If that doesn't work my fall back plan is sports betting. That is a good second option right?

Nzoner 02-05-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9380691)

If that doesn't work my fall back plan is sports betting. That is a good second option right?

Only if you believe in storylines. :)

Strongside 02-05-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9380691)

Invest in a time machine.

ModSocks 02-05-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9380684)
As for the OP I started my own business at 28 and just turned 50,so imo you're getting serious at the right time i.e. don't wait much longer.Good luck.

Thanks. I have tons of resources at my disposal, and the business it up and going already....I just gotta figure out a way to make the most of it and keep myself motivated.

ModSocks 02-05-2013 05:18 PM

I'll be honest, running my own business and being 100% self reliant on my income scares the shit out of me. It's a big change.

Strongside 02-05-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9380709)
I'll be honest, running my own business and being 100% self reliant on my income scares the shit out of me. It's a big change.

I did it for a while and was successful. I was recruited back into a startup that has since skyrocketed, but you're right...it's scary stuff. It's also very taxing and stressful. If you do it right and keep a level head, you'll be fine. The biggest thing, I think, that causes small startups to fail is that they run into a little success and try to get too big too fast. Then when a downturn hits (and it will) you're not built to weather the storm. Stay within the limits of the company and always be prepared for a dip in business.

mr. tegu 02-05-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 9380696)
Invest in a time machine.

But I need money to invest in that. I the time machine to make money sports betting. I need money from the sports betting to invest in a time machine. But I need the time machine to know what to bet...and round and round the circle goes.

I have always found cirlces like this to be quite pointless.

Strongside 02-05-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9380720)
But I need money to invest in that. I the time machine to make money sports betting. I need money from the sports betting to invest in a time machine. But I need the time machine to know what to bet...and round and round the circle goes.

I have always found cirlces like this to be quite pointless.

In the future, after you've made enough money to invest in a time machine, take said time machine back to the past and give your younger self enough money to invest in a time machine at an earlier period of time, thus increasing your potential wealth. You'll return to the future richer than when you left. Or dead, one of the two.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9380663)
But when you were trying to buy your house, trying to get the point that you are at now, how much time did you put in?

Alot.... I worked my ass off and saved all that I could....

When I work less, I just go into spend less mode

stevieray 02-05-2013 05:35 PM

8 ....working with my hands....keeps me young.

....at least for now.

Nzoner 02-05-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9380663)

Too many to count.

As a business owner I will tell you this,just because you close the doors and go wherever for the evening you're never off work.You want to build your business you take every opportunity you can to pass out business cards,meet potential customers,hell sit around the bar(if you do that) and talk to strangers about it.

EagleRob 02-05-2013 05:45 PM

Truth #1: You never get rich working for someone else.
Truth #2: If you do work for someone else, you are expendable and you will be worked to the bone then discarded when no longer needed.
Whatever your goal is, start today, write down your vision, create the architecture, and start building.

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleRob (Post 9380773)
Truth #1: You never get rich working for someone else.
Truth #2: If you do work for someone else, you are expendable and you will be worked to the bone then discarded when no longer needed.
Whatever your goal is, start today, write down your vision, create the architecture, and start building.

That all depends on what you consider to be rich .

KCUnited 02-05-2013 06:25 PM

Fake it til you make it, mang.

Gadzooks 02-05-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380797)
That all depends on what you consider to be rich .

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l91ISfcuzDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BlackHelicopters 02-05-2013 06:28 PM

Define " work".

hometeam 02-05-2013 06:35 PM

I put in 6 10s one week, 5 10s the next. Used to be 4 12s and a 10 every week.

Brock 02-05-2013 06:39 PM

You're thinking right. If you aren't making your own decisions, you are living with someone else's.

BigRedChief 02-05-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9380683)
I don't mean to be Mr. Grammar Nazi here, but you put a whole bunch of incomplete sentences in that response. I don't know if I'd want you as a writer and editor. :hmmm:

made enough money to travel around the world despite my butchering of the English language.:harumph:

R8RFAN 02-05-2013 06:47 PM

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny

Iowanian 02-05-2013 06:50 PM

I work the required amount meaning, the amount required to get whatever is on my plate completed on time.

My hours now are routinely 45-50hrs...which is a huge improvement over 2-4 years ago. Then again, 3 people are now doing what I was, so that helps cut down on the 70-80+hr weeks.

Easy 6 02-05-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9380921)
Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny

Thats nifty.

1ChiefsDan 02-05-2013 06:54 PM

I voted 0. Been unemployed since May 1 of last year.

However, I just accepted a position with Cricket Communications and will be willing to work as much as needed.

Bwana 02-05-2013 06:55 PM

It depends on what's going on. There are weeks I put in 80 hours, but I always make up for that with some working hours in the mountains, if you catch my drift.

2bikemike 02-05-2013 07:02 PM

I work 12 hour shifts, 3 days one week and 4 the next. Just finished my 4 days for this week and don't have to be back to work for one week on Wed. Happens like that every month. I love my job!

SAUTO 02-05-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

I was just around your age when I did the exact same thing. Bought out the guy who had been paying me.

First thing is put in a no-compete clause. I did.
yes it was very scary, but I knew how to run the work side, which I'm sure you know all about.

Scheduling, ordering parts.. Etc.

The book side was pretty easy.

Motivation is hard to keep up on a daily basis but I just look at it like the harder I work the more I make.

Sometimes I work 50 sometimes it's 80-90. But that goes with the territory.

If you tell someone no they will probably go somewhere else and may call there first next time no matter how good you are. Remember that.

Also remember that you will have to take on jobs you really don't want to do. You just have to. Anything to keep the dollars flowing daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 02-05-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9380760)
Too many to count.

As a business owner I will tell you this,just because you close the doors and go wherever for the evening you're never off work.You want to build your business you take every opportunity you can to pass out business cards,meet potential customers,hell sit around the bar(if you do that) and talk to strangers about it.

This
Posted via Mobile Device

ModSocks 02-05-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9380972)
I was just around your age when I did the exact same thing. Bought out the guy who had been paying me.

First thing is put in a no-compete clause. I did.
yes it was very scary, but I knew how to run the work side, which I'm sure you know all about.

Scheduling, ordering parts.. Etc.

The book side was pretty easy.

Motivation is hard to keep up on a daily basis but I just look at it like the harder I work the more I make.

Sometimes I work 50 sometimes it's 80-90. But that goes with the territory.

If you tell someone no they will probably go somewhere else and may call there first next time no matter how good you are. Remember that.

Also remember that you will have to take on jobs you really don't want to do. You just have to. Anything to keep the dollars flowing daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, that's the beauty of the situation i suppose. I'm taking over a business that i've essentially been running for the last 5 years. The owner has other stuff going on and would rather not deal with it.

I'll basically be doing the same job, but instead of getting a paycheck every two weeks, my income will be open ended. However, if there is no income coming in....im in trouble.

This is it right here. My opportunity to change my life forever. If i fail....Hello 9-5 at some parts counter....

SAUTO 02-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9381005)
Yeah, that's the beauty of the situation i suppose. I'm taking over a business that i've essentially been running for the last 5 years. The owner has other stuff going on and would rather not deal with it.

I'll basically be doing the same job, but instead of getting a paycheck every two weeks, my income will be open ended. However, if there is no income coming in....im in trouble.

This is it right here. My opportunity to change my life forever. If i fail....Hello 9-5 at some parts counter....

I was right where you are, except I had to force the issue and quit

I knew I was the guy running the place but was getting ****ed daily.

it was time for me. Sounds like it's time for you.

Like I said don't turn anything away if you can help it, as long as you can do the job up to your standards.

You will be ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

evolve27 02-05-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9380554)

**** that.

Love it. Oh yeah I work typically 6-7 hours for my family a day in a business. I owe them everything for making me realize that you get nowhere clockiing in and out sometimes.

El Jefe 02-05-2013 08:05 PM

I work anywhere from 50-65 a week.

SAUTO 02-05-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 9381115)
I work anywhere from 50-65 a week.

how are things buddy?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz 02-05-2013 08:10 PM

40-45 a week

few years ago i was doing nearly 80 and that sucked balls

Hootie 02-05-2013 08:13 PM

40-50

last year when I managed a restaurant I worked around 55-60

I make less now but I have a very clear career path that can probably be achieved in 5 years or less...where I'd be making about twice as much.

I sometimes do question my decision though because I felt happier in the restaurant industry (as of now at least).

Rasputin 02-05-2013 08:16 PM

Normally a 10 hour night shift and I get 3 nights off a week. 40 hours a week at the job, but "work" maybe 10 to 15 lol

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 08:30 PM

Winter: (4) 10's
Summer: (4) 12-14's

Hootie 02-05-2013 08:33 PM

my friend Darren kind of stumbled into the Post Office (which obviously isn't doing well) and he makes $24 an hour and works 65-70 hours a week with 25-30 of those being time and a half ($36 an hour).

I just can't believe how much they pay postal workers and how much overtime they are willing to give. No wonder the Post Office is in horrible shape.

He also says with their union they basically pay 3 people to do 1 job since the retirement is so jacked up. He says they are paying his full wage, plus the full wage of the guy that retired from his spot, plus the wage from the guy that retired from the retired guys spot.

'Merica!

Hootie 02-05-2013 08:35 PM

of course how many 70 hour weeks can you work in a row before you go "Postal."

Of course if I was making 90-100K at a freaking Post Office I don't think I'd ever go Postal...I'd have no problem not having a life for 5-10 years before I started scaling back once I got my "tenure" and all of my promotions.

noa 02-05-2013 08:40 PM

Usually 10-12 hours a day, but when it gets busy, I start pushing 15 hour days.

loochy 02-05-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9381144)
40-50

last year when I managed a restaurant I worked around 55-60

I make less now but I have a very clear career path that can probably be achieved in 5 years or less...where I'd be making about twice as much.

I sometimes do question my decision though because I felt happier in the restaurant industry (as of now at least).

I wonder how much time you'd have to put in to manage a restaurant that made $1 million per month

SAUTO 02-05-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9381273)
I wonder how much time you'd have to put in to manage a restaurant that made $1 million per month

sober?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootie 02-05-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9381273)

Depends.

I want to serve at a restaurant that does that sort of intake!

You could work 4 shifts a week and make $1500.

Hootie 02-05-2013 09:01 PM

but I assume even those Vegas restaurants that do that much revenue have a large management staff that probably doesn't work more than 50 hours per week.

Not sure about the GM...but the GM at a place like that probably makes $300K (if not more) per year.

loochy 02-05-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9381290)
Depends.

I want to serve at a restaurant that does that sort of intake!

You could work 4 shifts a week and make $1500.

I was hoping bump would chime in

Planetman 02-05-2013 09:01 PM

It put in 100+ hours last pay period. It's becoming more the norm as opposed to my usual 80 hour pay period.

SAUTO 02-05-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planetman (Post 9381299)
It put in 100+ hours last pay period. It's becoming more the norm as opposed to my usual 80 hour pay period.

Hourly?
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater 02-05-2013 09:04 PM

45-50 this time of year. 75-80 mid May-mid September.

lewdog 02-05-2013 09:11 PM

40-45 per week but I am hourly, which is super awesome. Plus I get 1.5 pay for any amount worked over 40 hours. I get paid for all the time I am at work, which IMO is better than salary for my job.

Jimmya 02-05-2013 09:23 PM

I teach high school for 8 hrs a day and usually go hang out at my liquor store with the manager for a few hours around 4 days a week. I make sure our beer and liquor orders are taken care of.

aturnis 02-05-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Make a point to keep up with accounting. That will be big as to whether you're successful or not.

lewdog 02-05-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9381325)
40-45 per week but I am hourly, which is super awesome. Plus I get 1.5 pay for any amount worked over 40 hours. I get paid for all the time I am at work, which IMO is better than salary for my job.

Just got word tonight from a friend I work with that they are doing some directory re-shuffling and will be offering me extended overtime hours, if I want to take them, to cover extra treatments. If I can work 45 hours per week, that would add about 1k to my monthly income. Score! :)

oldman 02-05-2013 10:07 PM

It depends on what you're doing. The Feds define a work week as 40 hours, so normally that means 5 8 hour shifts. But current thought means whatever we can get out the clown. My thought, over 35 years in my profession, was it's not about the time, but what you accomplish. There were some days I worked 20+ and some days I was there for 4. I worked with folks that were there 12 hours a day, but what for? When you get down to it, what did you accomplish? They were there for suckup and their own failure to manage their time.
If you're working for someone that needs to see you there for stupid hours for no reason, move on. If you need to stay, by all means stay. But if you're just there for facetime, what a BS crowd you're working for.

Buehler445 02-05-2013 11:57 PM

Averaged over the whole year I put in 12+ but the last month or so has been 8-10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9380655)
I work at an auto shop. It's come to the point now that the shop will ride or die with ME. So i have to do whatever it takes to bring in more money. The more money that i can bring in, the more i can take home.

I'm transitioning from your basic clock in/out to a small business owner. Im going to get my license next week. Basically, im becoming the owner of the business that use to pay me my paychecks.

Good for you. Make sure to mind your financials and for the love of god make sure you know what's coming tax-wise. PM me if you need any specifics.

Planetman 02-06-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9381305)
Hourly?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. Salaried is for suckers.

KChiefs1 02-06-2013 07:23 AM

4 days a week(Tues-Fri) 7-5:30 with Sat-Sun & Mon off.

BigMeatballDave 02-06-2013 07:39 AM

Not working.

In my 2nd week of CDL training now.