ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So what am i suppose to say? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271204)

Mr. Laz 03-16-2013 04:57 AM

So what am i suppose to say?

Apparently a family member is going to 'come out of the closet' to me in the near future.

I don't why she plans to tell me she's gay considering that she has never told me anything else about her sexuality. I assume it's some kind of cathartic form of self-expression to be herself etc,etc.

She's family, i love her and i want to be supportive, but to be honest i just want to keep the entire process as short as possible. So what the hell am i suppose to say?

i'm gay:

'ok ... good for you'

'whatever makes you happy'

'cool'

'can i watch?'

'is she hot?'

'anti-freeze'

'pics or it didn't happen'

seriously ... supportive, not condescending, not judgmental,not patronizing

what are you suppose to say?

(fyi if you prefer to respond privately, as PM is fine)

Thanks in Advance

beach tribe 03-16-2013 04:58 AM

I would say........So?
Or.....and?

Mr. Laz 03-16-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9504942)
I would say........So?
Or.....and?

the 'no big deal' response

i thought about that ... but isn't that dismissing her 'important news'?

i imagine it's a big risk to reveal something like this and to just 'shrug' isn't going to be very supportive.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 05:04 AM

We need to see the evidence before we can give advice ROFL

BigRock 03-16-2013 05:12 AM

"Cool. I'm glad you told me."

Or if applicable:

"What, am I supposed to be surprised? With that haircut?"

big nasty kcnut 03-16-2013 05:28 AM

well slap my titties and call me surely glad your gay but i love you no matter what
Posted via Mobile Device

big nasty kcnut 03-16-2013 05:28 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Fishpicker 03-16-2013 05:41 AM

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9...nsoloiknow.png

Mr. Flopnuts 03-16-2013 05:48 AM

I'd offer up a big, warm smile and say "Thank you for sharing something so important to you with me. I'll always be supportive of you no matter what is going on in your life."

That honestly should take care of it.

threebag 03-16-2013 05:48 AM

Maybe you should initiate the conversation by asking her if she has any single friends, then stare dumbfounded when she tells you.

Bugeater 03-16-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9504943)
the 'no big deal' response

i thought about that ... but isn't that dismissing her 'important news'?

i imagine it's a big risk to reveal something like this and to just 'shrug' isn't going to be very supportive.

Well what in the hell could she possibly want? You to throw her a goddamn party for it?

Shame on her for putting you in this situation.

Brooklyn 03-16-2013 06:00 AM

m.gawker.com/5990745/dad-overhears-sons-plans-to-come-out-assuages-his-fears-with-heartwarming-letter-of-acceptance

Infidel Goat 03-16-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9504955)
I'd offer up a big, warm smile and say "Thank you for sharing something so important to you with me. I'll always be supportive of you no matter what is going on in your life."

That honestly should take care of it.

I'm actually not a fan of the second sentence. It sounds more like a I love the sinner but might hate the sin response.

If you're cool with it, say so. There's nothing wrong with saying you are an ally of the LGBTQ community unless you're not.

LoneWolf 03-16-2013 06:28 AM

Ask her for a copy of her softball schedule and then tell her you'll be at every game in the first row.

KurtCobain 03-16-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat (Post 9504980)
I'm actually not a fan of the second sentence. It sounds more like a I love the sinner but might hate the sin response.

If you're cool with it, say so. There's nothing wrong with saying you are an ally of the LGBTQ community unless you're not.

You sound a little dickish here.