ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Jamaal Charles is best K.C. back ever? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279156)

Stinger 12-03-2013 01:21 PM

Jamaal Charles is best K.C. back ever?

Adam Teicher seem to think so....

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- This is probably overdue but I got to thinking about it after Jamaal Charles went over 1,000 rushing yards for the season in last week's loss to the Denver Broncos. That's four straight seasons for Charles with over 1,000 yards and though that's certainly not the only criteria, it's time to call Charles the best runner to ever play for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Charles is third all time on the Chiefs' rushing yardage list. He is roughly 500 yards from catching Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, the two backs ahead of him. With a big finish, Charles could conceivably catch both players this season. If not, he will pass them in 2014.

Charles is well shy of both players in rushing touchdowns, but Holmes and Johnson at times played for Chiefs teams that were offensive machines. Charles' teams in Kansas City haven't been built that way and it's unfair to penalize him for that. Charles isn't the pass receiver that Holmes was. There was no sight for Chiefs fans like Holmes running with a screen pass behind the great blockers he played with (unless it was Holmes running the sweep behind the great blockers he played with). But strictly as a runner, I'll take Charles.

Two factors go into that decision. First is longetivity. Johnson essentially had two great seasons for the Chiefs, Holmes three. Charles is now at four and we're still counting.

The other is Charles' career per-carry rushing average. Charles has picked up slightly more than 5.5 yards every time he's rushed the ball for the Chiefs in his career and that's frequently against opposing defenses that were often lying in wait for him because the Chiefs gave them little else to worry about.

Holmes rushed for 4.59 yards per carry, Johnson 4.37. That's a significant dfference in Charles' favor.

Holmes and Johnson deserve to be part of the discussion. But with apologies to those guys and some other great Chiefs backs like Marcus Allen, Christian Okoye and Ed Podolak it's time (and probably past time) to hail the new king.

http://espn.go.com/blog/kansas-city-...t-kc-back-ever

Hammock Parties 12-03-2013 01:22 PM

Charles is going to be the all time leading rusher behind some pretty average lines playing with poor QBs and no deep threat.

He's the GOAT as far as I'm concerned.

ModSocks 12-03-2013 01:22 PM

GOAT

Chief Roundup 12-03-2013 01:24 PM

Not yet he is not. He is working on it though. There will be others that will be more favored for obvious reasons.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 12-03-2013 01:24 PM

Until he denounces ObamaCare no one here will care

Dayze 12-03-2013 01:26 PM

Yep.

TimBone 12-03-2013 01:27 PM

Yes. Put him behind the Offensive lines Priest had, and the dude would have HOF numbers.

DaWolf 12-03-2013 01:29 PM

Good thing Pioli couldn't find a trade partner...

bowener 12-03-2013 01:29 PM

I'm going to be a true fan here for a second and hope the Chiefs go out and buy/draft the best OL we can possibly afford, just so I can see Charles run behind a great line. Alex Mack is a free agent...

As a sane man, I want them to will needs such as safety, wr, and a third pass rusher. But damn, it would be nice to see Charles behind something other than average.

Ace Gunner 12-03-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10245873)
Yep.

this

ModSocks 12-03-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10245868)
Not yet he is not. He is working on it though. There will be others that will be more favored for obvious reasons.

Like who?

Priest is put on a pedestal. He was a good back with a great line. He was nowhere close to the homerun hitter JC is.

Okoye had a real short career.

LJ...pfff....c'mon now....

Marcus Allen never came close to producing like JC.

Say it with me now: Jamaal Charles. Greatest of All Time.

ILChief 12-03-2013 01:32 PM

Keep doubting Larry Johnson

Direckshun 12-03-2013 01:32 PM

I'd say it's a wash with Holmes and Charles.

In58men 12-03-2013 01:33 PM

GOAT

ModSocks 12-03-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10245900)
GOAT

GOAT