ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football The Business of the NFL - bullying fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269293)

Chiefnj2 01-25-2013 07:01 AM

The Business of the NFL - bullying fans

To sum it up, a year ago a fan applies to copyright "Harbowl" so he can sell some t-shirts.
The NFL objects and threatens prolonged legal action. The guy asks for a few Colts tickets and the NFL says you'll get nothing and like it or pay all of our fees because we are bigger than you.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/the-ma...8#.UQKAl475jaq

Hammock Parties 01-25-2013 07:07 AM

That's life. Deal with it you little scumbag. You don't get to profit off a family name.

Al Bundy 01-25-2013 07:14 AM

They are a monopoly... selling t-shirts for 25 bucks that cost them 5 bucks to make and jersey's for a hundred that cost them 20 bucks to make.. and yes I know it is Nike that makes them, but the NFL agrees to and/or sets the cost. That's why I haven't bought a jersey in 12+ years.

007 01-25-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9349749)
That's life. Deal with it you little scumbag. You don't get to profit off a family name.

But it isn't a family name. Harbowl is a made up word. heh

rageeumr 01-25-2013 08:01 AM

To me, this is akin to cyber-squatting, which I detest. I have a hard time feeling bad for the guy.

KCUnited 01-25-2013 08:04 AM

Should of just let the market cockslap this guy in the face. Lol, Harbowl??? Can't wait to get that tshirt.

Chiefnj2 01-25-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9349796)
To me, this is akin to cyber-squatting, which I detest. I have a hard time feeling bad for the guy.

He squatted before the 1000s of brilliant minds at the NFL did. Give him a few tickets.

WhiteWhale 01-25-2013 08:15 AM

Oh come on. I doubt he had any intention to make a single shirt. He just wanted to get the trademark before the NFL because he thought he could put the squeeze on a billion dollar juggernaut of a sports empire.

Swing and a miss. He's probably lucky he still has the shirt on his back. Money buys justice. They would take him to court, squeeze him dry with extended proceedings, and then ultimately win a few million dollars he doesn't have.

Just walk away man.

Molitoth 01-25-2013 08:32 AM

They could've given him a few Colts tickets FFS.

fuck you NFL.

Scorp 01-25-2013 08:38 AM

If he had an assault weapon the NFL might of taken him a little more seriously.

Ace Gunner 01-25-2013 09:12 AM

"Mr. Fox is not a businessman or a lawyer. He says, “I didn’t know my rights.”

what a dumbass. I'd have put the best lawyers in place once I got the copyrights.

Oh Snap 01-25-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9349824)
Oh come on. I doubt he had any intention to make a single shirt. He just wanted to get the trademark before the NFL because he thought he could put the squeeze on a billion dollar juggernaut of a sports empire.

Swing and a miss. He's probably lucky he still has the shirt on his back. Money buys justice. They would take him to court, squeeze him dry with extended proceedings, and then ultimately win a few million dollars he doesn't have.

Just walk away man.

Explain to me how the NFL would "squeeze" anything from this man? He did nothing illegal, he copyrighted the naming rights and did everything legally possible. The NFL just didn't want to lose out on the coming pay day that these two names will bring. Think about it, the first two biological brothers coaching against each other in the biggest game of the year for the richest league in the world? What are the odds?

If anything, the man the NFL would attempt to sue could have probably came out with a nice pay day by counter suing the NFL for emotional damages incurred through this entire process. Sounds like he pussed out too soon.

Nzoner 01-25-2013 11:25 AM

On topic the first year of KC training camp here in St Joe we had a local business that sold authorized NFL and NCAA merchandise and the owner paid $500 to be in a tent at camp and someone on the Chiefs made her cover any merchandise she had with the KC logo on it because they had their own tent selling their stuff.

Rain Man 01-25-2013 11:28 AM

I'm making t-shirts in blue and gray that say, "The Civil Har: Baughruther against Brother". And underneath in small print it says, "600,000 dead, but Ray Lewis has an alibi."

Skyy God 01-25-2013 11:50 AM

Dude asked for an autographed photo of Big Red. F that guy and his cybersquatting.