ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Best Use of a billboard EVER (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275133)

gblowfish 08-07-2013 09:21 AM

Best Use of a billboard EVER

To actually bring relief to people in need, this is Lima, Peru:

http://www.upworthy.com/omg-best-use...-ever-seen?g=2

ptlyon 08-07-2013 09:23 AM

This thread is useless without pics

Bowser 08-07-2013 09:23 AM

That's actually pretty damned cool.

The Franchise 08-07-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9864599)
That's actually pretty damned cool.

It was until that asshole kid at the end dumped the drinking water over his head.

El Jefe 08-07-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9864604)
It was until that asshole kid at the end dumped the drinking water over his head.

I love this place.

The Franchise 08-07-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 9864608)
I love this place.

:D

kepp 08-07-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Seriously..."That's enough water for hundreds of families...oh, well...minus one family because of that kid."

mdchiefsfan 08-07-2013 09:39 AM

:clap:

Dartgod 08-07-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 9864617)
Seriously..."That's enough water for hundreds of families...oh, well...minus one family because of that kid."

I was thinking the same thing.

WTF, kid? You think we can just produce this water out of thin air?

Oh wait, I guess we can.

mdchiefsfan 08-07-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 9864623)
I was thinking the same thing.

WTF, kid? You think we can just produce this water out of thin air?

Oh wait, I guess we can.

ROFL

donkhater 08-07-2013 10:01 AM

So....it's a big de-humidifier. And this is revolutionary how? I got one in my basement.

mdchiefsfan 08-07-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 9864666)
So....it's a big de-humidifier. And this is revolutionary how? I got one in my basement.

Jeez, why didn't you think to do this?

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 9864666)

Did you think of using a big !@#$ing humidifier to create a renewable source of potable water in a community that's lacking same?

Just about every invention on the planet right now comes from someone taking an existing technology and either improving on it or re-tasking it.

That things is cool as hell.

The problem is that you couldn't use it in many of the war torn regions in some of these third world countries because you'd immediately have warlords standing armed guards around it and killing anyone that didn't pay their warlord tax that month.

Still a very neat idea that could be put to great use in many communities, however.

donkhater 08-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9864678)
Did you think of using a big !@#$ing humidifier to create a renewable source of potable water in a community that's lacking same?

Just about every invention on the planet right now comes from someone taking an existing technology and either improving on it or re-tasking it.

That things is cool as hell.

The problem is that you couldn't use it in many of the war torn regions in some of these third world countries because you'd immediately have warlords standing armed guards around it and killing anyone that didn't pay their warlord tax that month.

Still a very neat idea that could be put to great use in many communities, however.

How many deserts have 98% humidity?

Yeah, it's a smart thing to do, but technologically speaking, not exactly earth-shattering.

kepp 08-07-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9864678)

They need some kind of guards to keep kids from bathing in it.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 9864704)
How many deserts have 98% humidity?

Yeah, it's a smart thing to do, but technologically speaking, not exactly earth-shattering.

I don't believe anyone claimed it was a massive leap forward in technology. Just that it was a novel implementation of an existing technology.

Besides, very few people actually live in deserts. There are a lot of people that live in areas that have water but are sorely lacking drinkable water.

fan4ever 08-07-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 9864617)

Well, you know how it is once people start getting something for free from somebody else...pretty soon they'll be bitching there aren't more of these and they have a right to purified drinking water.

BlackHelicopters 08-07-2013 10:31 AM

Ban de- humidifiers

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9864726)
Ban de- humidifiers

I hate big billboard....

Cephalic Trauma 08-07-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 9864721)
Well, you know how it is once people start getting something for free from somebody else...pretty soon they'll be bitching there aren't more of these and they have a right to purified drinking water.

:facepalm: They do.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-07-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Made me want to strap a bomb collar to his neck.

fan4ever 08-07-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cephalic Trauma (Post 9864733)
:facepalm: They do.

A need isn't a right...especially if that "right" is at the expense of others. Getting these people clean water may be the "right" thing to do, but that doesn't make it one...

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 9864938)
A need isn't a right...especially if that "right" is at the expense of others. Getting these people clean water may be the "right" thing to do, but that doesn't make it one...

Who gives a shit? Obviously providing this need is helping this company, or they probably wouldn't be doing it. It also doesn't seem to be fantastically expensive when weighed against the incredible benefit to the people living there. But, please, go ahead and preemptively vilify people in need. Great world view.

Fish 08-07-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

:facepalm:

Douche.....

Rausch 08-07-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Just wow...

patteeu 08-07-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9864988)
Who gives a shit? Obviously providing this need is helping this company, or they probably wouldn't be doing it. It also doesn't seem to be fantastically expensive when weighed against the incredible benefit to the people living there. But, please, go ahead and preemptively vilify people in need. Great world view.

Shallow thinking like this is what results in the truth described by his original statement.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9865023)
Shallow thinking like this is what results in the truth described by his original statement.

Feel free to add any specifics to this so I even know what you're taking issue with, thanks.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865088)
Feel free to add any specifics to this so I even know what you're taking issue with, thanks.

Your disregard of the distinction between needs and rights.

You don't have a right to food. You need it to survive, sure, but it's not a right. Nobody owes it to you. It's incumbent upon you to go out there and secure the means to get your own food.

For someone to point out that not all needs are rights and for you to respond "who gives a shit!?" is, in fact, extremely shallow thinking.

patteeu 08-07-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865088)

People whose thoughts are dominated by emotion rather than intellect are more likely to take advantage of a generous gesture like this and demand that it be provided on a large scale (by someone else, of course).

patteeu 08-07-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9865115)

You don't have a right to food. You need it to survive, sure, but it's not a right. Nobody owes it to you. It's incumbent upon you to go out there and secure the means to get your own food.

For someone to point out that not all needs are rights and for you to respond "who gives a shit!?" is, in fact, extremely shallow thinking.

That, and his criticism of fan4ever's "world view" as if fan4ever is out to prevent people from getting drinking water or something.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9865130)
That, and his criticism of fan4ever's "world view" as if fan4ever is out to prevent people from getting drinking water or something.

I more meant the aspect of his "world view" that the first thought he has regarding something like this is people will inherently go from being grateful to bitchily demanding something as if it is a right. Never accused him of anything you suggest. Sorry if unclear.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9865130)

Ah, well he kinda went off the rails there at the end so I probably skipped his throwaway sentence.

He lost me at "vilify people in need..."

I feel like that's the kind of thing you tend to argue when you're at the front of an unruly mob, as opposed to when you're actually trying to substantively discuss something.

So yeah, your comment about decision-making from emotion strikes pretty true there. I'm not exactly sure where fan4ever vilified anybody, but when one has a soapbox and the majority behind him, he tends to get rolling and generally stop making sense.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Where did I do that? Did I state that people have a right to this service? He didn't just point out that all needs are not rights (which is pretty obvious to most and not exactly deep, not that he claimed it was). He too it to what he assumed was a logical conclusion that this would soon become demanded as a right and people would be angry they weren't receiving it.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865163)
I more meant the aspect of his "world view" that the first thought he has regarding something like this is people will inherently go from being grateful to bitchily demanding something as if it is a right. Never accused him of anything you suggest. Sorry if unclear.

In fairness, pretty much the whole of human history suggests that he's right.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9865173)
Ah, well he kinda went off the rails there at the end so I probably skipped his throwaway sentence.

He lost me at "vilify people in need..."

I feel like that's the kind of thing you tend to argue when you're at the front of an unruly mob, as opposed to when you're actually trying to substantively discuss something.

So yeah, your comment about decision-making from emotion strikes pretty true there. I'm not exactly sure where fan4ever vilified anybody, but when one has a soapbox and the majority behind him, he tends to get rolling and generally stop making sense.

Yeah, cause a comment about automatic entitlement isn't pandering to a crowd on Chiefsplanet. My couple of lines in response was clearly soapbox grandstanding.

patteeu 08-07-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865163)

How do you know that was his first thought? Maybe he had a lot of the same thoughts as the people who posted before him, but he didn't feel the need to repeat what was already said. Instead, he made a thoughtful point that hadn't been made already.

Anyway, I just think you and a couple of others reacted negatively to a guy who didn't say anything that deserved it.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9865185)
In fairness, pretty much the whole of human history suggests that he's right.

And while we're throwing out broad historical claims that are virtually impossible to back up without writing a term paper, I'd counter with most people who have made a substantially positive impact on the people around them operate on the assumption he's wrong.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9865197)
How do you know that was his first thought? Maybe he had a lot of the same thoughts as the people who posted before him, but he didn't feel the need to repeat what was already said. Instead, he made a thoughtful point that hadn't been made already.

Anyway, I just think you and a couple of others reacted negatively to a guy who didn't say anything that deserved it.

Fair point. It was his first post in the thread so I admittedly assumed. If I misconstrued his intentions, then I apologize. I just routinely see this kind of response around here and it grates on me. That's not his fault.

Rausch 08-07-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

There's a difference between something being provided for you and something denied you...

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865183)
Where did I do that? Did I state that people have a right to this service? He didn't just point out that all needs are not rights (which is pretty obvious to most and not exactly deep, not that he claimed it was). He too it to what he assumed was a logical conclusion that this would soon become demanded as a right and people would be angry they weren't receiving it.

When he pointed out the distinction and you responded "who gives a shit", it certainly reads as though you're disregarding said distinction. Especially when you go on to criticize his worldview.

In the end, this is dangerously close to taking a DC turn, but I will say that the unfortunate truth is that he's largely correct. Many places in the world can't have this technology precisely because humans lack the nobility to allow it to serve its intended purposes (like I said, warlords and armed guards). And getting beyond that, you sure have a sunny outlook on humanity if you think that people gratefully accept a routine charity and never start to shift their baselines.

I'm sorry, but I think his concern is a real one. History tells us that people simply lack the capacity for long-term gratitude. Charity becomes right extremely quickly.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9865255)
When he pointed out the distinction and you responded "who gives a shit", it certainly reads as though you're disregarding said distinction. Especially when you go on to criticize his worldview.

In the end, this is dangerously close to taking a DC turn, but I will say that the unfortunate truth is that he's largely correct. Many places in the world can't have this technology precisely because humans lack the nobility to allow it to serve its intended purposes (like I said, warlords and armed guards). And getting beyond that, you sure have a sunny outlook on humanity if you think that people gratefully accept a routine charity and never start to shift their baselines.

I'm sorry, but I think his concern is a real one. History tells us that people simply lack the capacity for long-term gratitude. Charity becomes right extremely quickly.

Sure, but this isn't state sponsored charity. This is private. I don't see the connection. I also don't see the argument against this unless one is against charity in any form at any time on general principle.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865212)
And while we're throwing out broad historical claims that are virtually impossible to back up without writing a term paper, I'd counter with most people who have made a substantially positive impact on the people around them operate on the assumption he's wrong.

Most people who have made a substantially positive impact on the people around them haven't done it through providing charity. They've done it through teaching them or curing diseases; things that allow them to better their station independently.

"Teach a man to fish", so to speak.

Again, at the risk of steering this thing directly into DC, take a look at the difference in people that are on foodstamps now who complain about the stigma of food stamps and demand they get cards that look like credit cards, vs. the people that were initially grateful for any assistance they could get.

It doesn't take more than a generation or so for kindness to become right.

DJ's left nut 08-07-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9865266)
Sure, but this isn't state sponsored charity. This is private. I don't see the connection. I also don't see the argument against this unless one is against charity in any form at any time on general principle.

It's not at all. In fact it's a perfect example what you would consider 'industrious' charity.

In fact, my very first comment was that this thing is really cool and could be put to great use in a ton of different places.

But that doesn't mean you should just ignore the potential downside of it. He made an interesting point, one that surely seems rooted in human nature, and you jumped his ass for it. That seems worth calling out.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9865275)
It's not at all. In fact it's a perfect example what you would consider 'industrious' charity.

In fact, my very first comment was that this thing is really cool and could be put to great use in a ton of different places.

But that doesn't mean you should just ignore the potential downside of it. He made an interesting point, one that surely seems rooted in human nature, and you jumped his ass for it. That seems worth calling out.

Well I suppose I thought his point was just as trite as you and patteu seemed to think my point was. I didn't see it as relevant to the conversation as much as a knee jerk anti-entitlement jab. I did however, admit to my emotional bias in my harsh reaction. I could have misconstrued his intentions every bit as much as you and pat did mine. Good you called it out, though, since it gave me an opportunity to clarify.

Braincase 08-07-2013 02:35 PM

So much of what we all really need to survive and/or thrive surrounds us everyday. Yet there are those will do whatever they can to keep us from utilizing those treasures because they can't control it. Windmills becoming illegal. Prosecution for rain water when it lands on your own property.

fan4ever 08-07-2013 02:58 PM

I've been out and about and it's interesting to return and see so many could see what I was saying (or not saying as well) while so many others couldn't. Thanks for setting them straight(er).

MMXcalibur 08-07-2013 03:52 PM

In other technological advancements involving advertisements, airplane banners from the Save Our Chiefs movement produced a lovely Spring Breeze scent that showered over Arrowhead on gamedays, masking the rancid shit that was covering the field.