ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books COMIC BOOK PEOPLE (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277123)

Valiant 07-30-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10774329)
Haven't been keeping up on anything ongoing because I'm kind of a DC guy and New 52 has been utter ****ing shit from the get go but anyone else find it hilarious that all the hipsters are raving about Cameron Stewart's new Batgirl design when... it's basically the exact same as Quitely/Daniels's Damian Wayne outfit that's existed for like 3/almost-four-ish years?

http://i.imgur.com/cCb8kvK.png

It is because it is a girl.. OMgeeee...

Aries Walker 07-30-2014 10:03 AM

Those costumes aren't the same.

Jamie 07-30-2014 11:40 AM

Those costumes are so dissimilar that it's kind of intriguing. Like, what does he think makes them so similar? That the shirt is a separate piece? Boots with laces?

DaveNull 07-30-2014 12:51 PM

Similar in that neither appear to be molded plastic/spandex.

DaveNull 07-30-2014 12:53 PM

I saw some really cool Punisher concept art that went through the details like the aforementioned Batgirl costume. Was super cool and it said that all the gear was taken from known tactical gear. Neat, but google is failing me right now.

Ragged Robin 07-30-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10775515)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 10775740)
Those costumes are so dissimilar that it's kind of intriguing. Like, what does he think makes them so similar? That the shirt is a separate piece? Boots with laces?

wow who said they were the same? durrr one's purple and one has red. No. Stylistically they hit on the same beats compared to the Jim Lee "heavy armored" crap he designed for the New 52. Jacket, combat boots, short cape, etc

Jamie 07-30-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10776559)
wow who said they were the same? durrr one's purple and one has red. No. Stylistically they hit on the same beats compared to the Jim Lee "heavy armored" crap he designed for the New 52. Jacket, combat boots, short cape, etc

The similar elements are pretty minor, and hardly unique to the Damian Robin design. Robin has had a jacket and short cape since about 1940.

http://i.imgur.com/JDNgUFS.jpg

Aries Walker 07-30-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10776559)

I don't know. If you give me a minute, I might think of who exactly that was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10774329)
Haven't been keeping up on anything ongoing because I'm kind of a DC guy and New 52 has been utter ****ing shit from the get go but anyone else find it hilarious that all the hipsters are raving about Cameron Stewart's new Batgirl design when... it's basically the exact same as Quitely/Daniels's Damian Wayne outfit that's existed for like 3/almost-four-ish years?

Having a few elements in common does not make them "the exact same".

Aries Walker 07-30-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 10774455)
when did batgirl become 15

Yvonne Decarlo dissapproves

That'd be Yvonne Craig. Yvonne De Carlo was Lily Munster.

The more you know.

beach tribe 07-31-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 10775515)

If costumes had brands, they would be the same brand.

beach tribe 07-31-2014 06:54 AM

DC should have Bucky Barnes'd robin YEARS ago.

Robin is still a fairy, and Bucky Barnes is the Fn Winter Soldier.

Pretty much Marvel and DC in a microcosm.

lcarus 07-31-2014 08:40 AM

I got an early copy of the new Batman animated movie "Assault On Arkham". I watched the first 30 minutes or so. HATED IT. Damn I just hated the villains in this one. "Captain Boomerang"? First of all, who the **** is that? Secondly, that's the dumbest villain concept I've ever heard next to the intentionally stupid Condiment King.

Son of Batman wasn't great either. Seems after the amazing Under the Red Hood, and pretty good Dark Knight Returns and Year One, they're getting worse and worse.

DaveNull 07-31-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10777336)

You know they're doing that now with Grayson, right?

The first issue was ok..but not great.

Ragged Robin 07-31-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10777336)

They made "Robin" Nightwing in the mid 80s.. Marvel just sort of did the same thing and made more noise with it with Bucky in the mainstream/movie industry LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10777550)
You know they're doing that now with Grayson, right?

The first issue was ok..but not great.

It's crap, as I thought it would be. New 52 has been the complete character assassination of Dick Grayson.

Aries Walker 07-31-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 10777335)
If costumes had brands, they would be the same brand.

Again, no they wouldn't.

- The boots are the closest; while hers have heels and their colors are different, they are of similar style.
- They are both wearing tights, but they are of different colors, and hers are striped where his are not.
- They are both wearing jackets, but they are have different cuts, colors, and collars, their logos are placed differently, and hers has pockets where his does not.
- Their gloves are completely different.
- Their belts are completely different.
- Their headgear is completely different.
- Their capes are close in length and color; other than that, they are different shapes, necklines, fasteners, and - judging by the way they hang - fabric.

Replace the costumes with suits, interpreting the capes as vests. Imagine two people wearing three-piece suits in which their vests were the same color, their shoes were similar, and they each had pleated pants. Literally every other aspect - fabric, cut, color, design, accessories - of the two suits were different. Would you call them 'similar'?